Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2013 :  11:49:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar
In the 3rd edition Lords of Darkness supplement, a Cyricist ritual called "Ritual of the Dark Flame" is described, with a result that the subject receives the ability to summon and use "black fire" in battle, powered by negative energy.

In the 2e sourcebook Drow of the Underdark, IIRC, there is a spell of Lolth which creates black flames, which burn (cause damage) but don't produce any light. My question to add to Eldacar's: is this spell related to this form of energy the Cyricists employ?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Crimson_King_of_the_Tower
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2013 :  18:18:46  Show Profile Send Crimson_King_of_the_Tower a Private Message
My question to Ed or THO is as follows. Ive been reading over The North boxed set and i came across the entry on the Moondark mountains. I really liked it and want to send my PCs there and was wondering if what was written was all there was meant to be or did you ever elaborate or mean to elaborate on it? Thank you

James Lavespere

Edited by - Crimson_King_of_the_Tower on 18 Apr 2013 01:13:44
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2013 :  23:31:27  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I can imagine Ed's taxes being about as much fun as a dinner date with Umberlee. Good luck to him!

A question for you THO, which may have been asked before (my bad if so). How often does Ed make environmental factors (like weather, seismic activity, floods) a focus point of the game rather than just an incidental thing? Put another way, does he use these things "merely" as descriptive elements for immersion, or are they occasionally/often a starting point for an evening's adventure with more-typical plot elements added afterwards?

On a tangent, how often does Ed employ random generation tables of any sort?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2013 :  03:18:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. To your tangent, I can reply: with his veteran players, Ed doesn't use random tables at all. I doubt he uses them when playing with anyone else, either.
I know he designed quite a few, when writing for TSR in the early days, and for a few DRAGON articles, but those were assignments.
Ed does keep track of weather "fronts" and systems moving through regions in which play is taking place, so rainstorms, snowstorms, and overall temperature feature regularly in play. Ed seldom hits us with severe weather or other natural events without warning (I think he doesn't consider it quite "fair"), but does forewarn us when such things occur, so it can become part of our tactical planning. Country folk in the Realms live "closer to nature" than in our modern real world, and pay a lot of attention to local signs of upcoming weather. Adventurers travel more than a lot of people, and get "caught in the open" often because of their activities, but...that's just part of the life. Yes, severe winter weather often causes wolf pack and goblinkin raids and the like...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 18 Apr 2013 16:05:07
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2013 :  21:27:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Nice, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2013 :  07:48:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Ed,

I enjoyed reading your latest Forging the Realms article: Imroad Gaskulyn, Gnome Locketmaker. In particular the words in Gnome and the names of new Realms herbs.

One of the things I like about your articles is they more often than not send me off on a Google search to look up a word I'm not familiar with. For this latest article it was 'tisane'.

Thanks again and looking forward to the next article.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  14:32:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Not exactly sure how to frame this question without either A) annoying folks who are not fans of certain lore, and B) not stepping on any NDA's, including possibly some new ones regarding The Sundering. This particular line of thought was given life by a set of simultaneous (coincidental?) circumstances. including my current reading of a certain sub-genre I am not normally fond of, and also another (brilliant) thread by Gray Richardson (amongst other things).

So here goes... How much of the 'changes' that the 4e lore brought about weren't really changes at all, but rather, "new knowledge brought to light" that were really part of your 'deeper secrets'?

In other words, when I look back at some of the earliest lore regarding 'the Creator Races', it has a certain... antideluvian... aspect to it. From what I understand, a lot of that was based on the material you sent to TSR, which then got filtered through the hands of many other authors/designers since. How much of what was 'revealed' was part of your original design, and also, how much of it was supposed to remain part of those 'deeply buried secrets' (which I presume is all part of that 'reset button' you had built into the Realms, which was never supposed to really be pushed).

Also, Wooly quoted something in Gray's thread regarding Larloch, and I recall some of your (cryptic) responses to my own inquires down that line - is there any connection between what Larloch is doing now (as of late 1300's, anyway) - trying to get control of as much of the Path of Light & Darkness as possible - and what he is either trying to prevent, keep secret, or keep contained (I am thinking all three, to some degree)? Is this connected to what is going on by the resurgence of 'the past' (if you get my meaning), and possibly The Sundering?

I am going to assume that last question falls under some heavy NDA's, but I was hoping you could shed some light on that first one, even if it were along the lines of just setting people's fears at rest (that even when you weren't steering this ship, it was still - roughly - following the course you had set it on).

*Grammatical Corrections

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Apr 2013 01:07:57
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  20:48:24  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Another geography question, this time regarding the islands at the mouth of the Bay of Dancing Dolphins.

In Karen Fonstad's atlas, these islands are partly hidden in the binding but it's clear that there are at least one larger and one smaller island.

In the electronic atlas, there are two larger and one smaller island, but the smaller island is in the wrong place (assuming that Karen's atlas was drawn from your maps).

FR16, which theoretically offers a better view/description of the area, indicates no islands there at all.

Can anything be clarified/shared regarding these islands? The names would be great of course, and how many of them should appear on these maps, and how many more there might be which are too small to be remembered by non-natives. Also, given the position of these islands it's almost a given that Dambraii ships sail past them all the time... are there useful harbors on any of them? FR16 says the Bay of Dolphins hasn't had a destructive storm in 500 years... are there any settlements on these islands? Just wondering and rambling.

Many thanks! Hope your current projects are going well!
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  17:28:00  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi THO Hi Ed,

today I would like to know if you could give any information about the current golbinoid tribes living in the area of the Gorge of the fallen Idol as the time being between 1340 and 1375 DR.

Thank you very much - as always, for any shared information ;)
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  03:08:38  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
A bizarre line of thought...

What is the thinking in the realms of Faerun about what we would call the theory of Parallel Dimensions? That every minor flux or choice which occurs in the universe, creates a new universe (Like the Discworld's idea of the Trousers of Time).

Which sages have done thought experiments with this? Which races or civilizations have played with this ideology?

Also have any magic users (Arcane, Divine, Psionic, or whatever) experiment with transportation to these worlds? Or creating a new universe with their own changes in it?

Bizarre, I know, but so was Barrier Peak (I believe) and it was a success.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  07:27:06  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
In the grey box, it says that Mane's Band had some trouble with a bunch of beasts and a Red Wizard in the Yuirwood.

FR6 names Gombdalla and gives her a bunch of beasts and puts her in the Yuirwood.

Coincidence?

Also, who was the deserter, and who were the two slain; have we seen them elsewhere? And what was the enticing adventure hook that sent a group based in Shadowdale all the way to the Yuirwood?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  08:01:15  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed!

Ed, is there a catchall Realms word for the real world form of arthritis we know as gout?

How about a Heartlands-specific term for it?

If there exist in the Realms any diseases or side effects related to monster exposure (bites or injuries received from) that cause gout or gout-like symptoms, could you give an example or two?

Thanks to you both for addressing this particular bit of Realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2013 :  17:47:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

In the grey box, it says that Mane's Band had some trouble with a bunch of beasts and a Red Wizard in the Yuirwood.
FR6 names Gombdalla and gives her a bunch of beasts and puts her in the Yuirwood.

Coincidence?
Also, who was the deserter, and who were the two slain; have we seen them elsewhere? And what was the enticing adventure hook that sent a group based in Shadowdale all the way to the Yuirwood?

Oooh like this question a lot, would love to hear more lore on Manes Band from the home Realms campaign.

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  02:48:17  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
Ed,

If I might, who are considered as the top experts on golems in the Realms?

Thanks,
Joe

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  11:58:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TheHermit

Ed,

If I might, who are considered as the top experts on golems in the Realms?

Thanks,
Joe

I'm not Ed, but I'm pretty sure Amelior Amanitas is one of them, at least in the 1360's. There are also golem makers among the clergy of Azuth, IIRC. But let's Ed answer properly and broaden this response.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  15:33:14  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
I'm not sure if I've asked this question before, so if I have, then apologies:

How does lycanthropy interact with silver fire? Have there been Chosen of Mystra (or silver fire wielders who weren't Chosen, as I recall Ed mentioning once or twice) in the past who were also lycanthropes?

Presumably they would need to be natural lycanthropes in most cases, since one of the benefits of becoming a Chosen is that you're immune to disease, but it'd be interesting to know if the silver fire "burns lycanthropy out" of the individual, or whatever it does if not that.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2013 :  15:57:19  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
I have a question for Ed, but I am not sure if it is interesting of not. Given how I like legal thrillers (perhaps because I am a lawyer), I wonder if the lives of some Realms barristers are exciting and with adventure. Since some of the latest articles on the WoTC site from Ed deal with professions in the Realms, I'd like Ed to please expand upon famous lawyers and their connections with adventurers and ask Ed and THO if they have played legal thriller-style games in the Realms. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  04:02:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I apologize for the few days of silence; I was on assignment (work-related), and Ed was deep in taxes, Realms writing, and mandatory workplace first aid recertification training at a Internet access-free remote rural location.
I have cheerfully buried Ed under your most recent posts and queries, and he sent me an e-mail with a cheerful chuckle and this lone reply (as yet):

Eldacar, silver fire does indeed 'burn lycanthropy out of' anyone who becomes a Chosen, or who is a Chosen and gets into circumstances wherein they would become a lycanthrope if they didn't have silver fire. A Chosen can choose to use their silver fire to 'burn lycanthropy out of' a non-Chosen they can reach with their silver fire, and doing so is almost instinctual/obvious (it doesn't need specialized training or knowledge) - - but they must discern that the non-Chosen being is a lycanthrope, and want to change that status; it won't happen automatically or unwittingly.

So saith Ed. Creator of silver fire, the Realms, the concept of Chosen, and so on.
love to all, and more replies coming when Ed can (he still has a LOT on his plate),
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  05:30:40  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message
Many thanks for the answer, milady. And for the reason for the silence. I was getting worried that something terrible might have happened...

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  07:27:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Internet access-free remote rural location.

So a deep layer of the Abyss?

Welcome back.
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  16:22:11  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Oh no! The Abyss has internet access; it's just very, very sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  16:56:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by arry

Oh no! The Abyss has internet access; it's just very, very sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow

And it's dialup AOL, and you keep having to use those free CDs they used to send to everyone in the world, twice a week.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  00:14:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
You have CDs? I still have floppys.

I use to grab as many as I could wherever I went - most folks didn't realize you could flip the 'read only' tab on them and you got free floppies!

And dial-up AOL wasn't so bad. I remember trying to connect to other folks with the 300 baud Modem on my old TRS80.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  02:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Before I direct us all back to topic...
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You have CDs? I still have floppys.
I'll note that I still store stuff on an old storage Commodore Datasette... 1530, I think...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  07:24:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

OK, suppose a rich Sembian hires adventurers to visit The Rose and Dragon, the Servant Exalted and the Hrelto's in Suzail (all places where the servants of nobles like to gather, as mentioned on p.331 of Elminster Must Die), because the Sembian wants to question none too gently a particular Clerk of the Estate about a side deal that nearly got the Sembian killed.

If that Sembian has been to all three locations, but was pressed for time and could only give a quick, somewhat concise description (street location, what each place sits next to, something noteworthy about each place, what to watch out for in terms of danger, etc.), how might he or she describe each of those locations?

Thank you very much. Also, thank you for giving these and other locations a quick mention in your recent Elminster Novels. It's awesome to learn little bits and pieces about Suzail as it exists in 1479 DR.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 May 2013 07:26:17
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  21:26:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, in another thread we have gone off-track (as usual) from the OP about 'female characters in the Realms' to human sub-races.

I made the point that given the far more cosmopolitan nature of The Realms (as opposed to our own RW medieval period), just about any human 'sub-type' can be fond almost anywhere, although some will of course be more common in certain areas then others. This means that not only do some 'black people' live in Cormyr, but I am sure there are black Purple Dragons as well.

If this line of reasoning is correct, then is it possible that there are some 'dark skinned' noble houses in Cormyr? I assume elsewhere as well (I would think that in The South - like Calimshan - this would be a given).

Edited by - Markustay on 06 May 2013 21:27:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  21:47:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I was wondering, are there any were-deer, were-elk, or were-moose in the realms? If so, where? What about were-cows?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  00:03:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message
Were-creatures are almost always carnivores or omnivores. I don't think there are any herbivore werecreatures at all, though I would not be surprised at exceptions. I am interested in whether or not there are weredogs, considering that werecats are common in the Realms.

I do have a legitimate Ed Question, well two in fact:
-----------------------------------------------
1) History in the Realms is obviously highly sought after as we all know. But I wonder exactly how it is that there are issue of there being gaps in history, considering how easily one can go to the many long-lived races or magically life-extended beings that are out there. If one was curious on events during Myth Drannor's siege, for example, how difficult is it to simply find an elf that is over 700 years of age or even a dragon, or some mage that has magically extended their life? (Such as Elminster himself, but we all know how much of a tease he is, I doubt every long-lived being is like him though)

2) It is also clear there are many, many shapechangers in the Realms and that fact has been around for ages. By now, would there not be all sorts of magical fields placed to show the true forms of those stepping in and magic items that allow rulers or their subjugates to discern any shapechangers hiding in the courts and halls of the palace? Or is that shapechangers have easy access to counter such magic? (But then, would there not be a counter-counter magic?) How exactly do shapechangers get by in the Realms and get away with concealing themselves so easily in a world that is aware of such shapechangers and would be foolish to not enact measures to unveil them?
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  10:02:06  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message
Hello again!

I'm pulling up a question from 2004 that was originally posted by Baalster. I looked through subsequent years' scrolls and didn't find the answer. I went through the rest of 2004 and a good chunk of 2005, and did some searching for keywords, but it didn't yield anything, so I thought I would dig it up!

quote:
5. Any information forthcoming about the barbarian tribes of The Ride ? I have found preciously little.

Anything that you can reveal on Whitehorn and White Peaks would be greatly appreciated. With what a sizeable stack of TSR/WotC books and magazines can't tell me, I find it comfortable to see that you answer questions about your creation so easily, even after so many years. For that you have my thanks once again.

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  11:53:52  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Were-creatures are almost always carnivores or omnivores. I don't think there are any herbivore werecreatures at all, though I would not be surprised at exceptions. I am interested in whether or not there are weredogs, considering that werecats are common in the Realms.

Razz and sleyvas,

Once again, I'm not Ed, but I can answer a bit of these questions for you. In the 1e sourcebook Hall of Heroes, in Kelemvor's entry, there is a nice list of werecreatures that includes one herbivore species, the werebison. It also includes the weredog, a LG lycanthrope, weredolphins, werespiders and even weredragons (different from the song dragons). In this list there are no were-elks or deers, though. There are rules for creating new lycanthropes (for 1e, of course), and it is said that some animals merged with humans during the Time of Troubles (this would justify the existence of any kind of werecreature). anyway, I'm sure Ed can provide further lore on the subject.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page