Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-2019)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2019 :  19:02:24  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently nearing the end of my millionth reread of all things Tolkien. Almost done Return of the King.

After this, I'm torn between finishing up the last of the Dragonlance Weis and Hickman stif I haven't gotten around to (War of Souls, Dark Disciple) or starting in on The Dresden Files.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  03:45:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dresden Files are awesome!

Elaine Cunningham used to have a blog about what she was reading; her mention of the books (and CallMeGene's followup recommendation) are what got me into those books. Jim Butcher has now joined the short list of authors who can sell me a book by putting their name on it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  03:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently working my way through Fire and Blood.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2292 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  04:22:17  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished King of Scars, the newest book in the Grishaverse, and before that I read Poisoned in Light, the last of the Dragori trilogy.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BountyHunter
Seeker

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  06:08:19  Show Profile Send BountyHunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The Dresden Files are awesome!

Elaine Cunningham used to have a blog about what she was reading; her mention of the books (and CallMeGene's followup recommendation) are what got me into those books. Jim Butcher has now joined the short list of authors who can sell me a book by putting their name on it.

I've had the first four sitting on my shelf for years, plus the comic that serves as a prequel to Storm Front. Just haven't gotten around to them yet.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2019 :  02:10:41  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Night Parade.

"Intimidation is a weapon of the Legion. Intelligence is not." -Illidan Stormrage
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Master of Realmslore

Colombia
1312 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2019 :  04:21:38  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re-reading the Captive Flame, from the Brotherhood of the Griffon series. Now that I understand the concept of "sjashukri" (the way dragonborn critizice someone without actually speaking ill of them), I can't help but smile every time Balasar (one of the dragonborn characters) says something.

Long ago, in the distant past, they fell into decay. The philosopher’s path... The river of glory... Even the saints resting in the darkness rise up without response and block the way...
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3544 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2019 :  23:51:33  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Starship Troopers and the first three Dune novels......first time reading them. No clue why I had not read them yet!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  13:02:47  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the Night Parade btw, so far there have been no less than 3 creatures in this novel that I have absolutely no idea what they are. Once I finish the novel, would this be the place to post questions about what they are? I thought I knew every D&D monster, but these 3 so far have left me clueless.

"Intimidation is a weapon of the Legion. Intelligence is not." -Illidan Stormrage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  21:43:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Just finished Starship Troopers and the first three Dune novels......first time reading them. No clue why I had not read them yet!

Having read the first Dune novel, I have no clue why people read any more of them.

I really don't understand what the hype is about, with that one.

Go to Top of Page

gylippus
Seeker

25 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  00:01:03  Show Profile Send gylippus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Regarding the Night Parade btw, so far there have been no less than 3 creatures in this novel that I have absolutely no idea what they are. Once I finish the novel, would this be the place to post questions about what they are? I thought I knew every D&D monster, but these 3 so far have left me clueless.

Are you referring to the Night Parade creatures themselves? Such as Lord Sixx and Imperator Zeal? I was under the impression all of these creatures were from an alternate world that was dying so they had to go to Faerun. They can't have children so they kidnap children and transform them into the Night Parade with the apparatus. I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

686 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  09:31:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gylippus

I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

Realms Bestiary Volume II by the esteemed Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa has a write-up for the hordlings including tables for random generations and all the relevant references.

It should be available on this website somewhere after the authors agreed to make it available the last few days (I hope one of the Mods will pass by and get you the link or correct me if I'm wrong).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2019 :  18:06:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

quote:

I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

Realms Bestiary Volume II by the esteemed Eric L. Boyd and Thomas M. Costa has a write-up for the hordlings including tables for random generations and all the relevant references.

It should be available on this website somewhere after the authors agreed to make it available the last few days (I hope one of the Mods will pass by and get you the link or correct me if I'm wrong).

I sent the files to Big Al last night, so I'd expect him to have them on the main site in the next day or two.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2019 :  19:33:36  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Varl
Are you referring to the Night Parade creatures themselves? Such as Lord Sixx and Imperator Zeal? I was under the impression all of these creatures were from an alternate world that was dying so they had to go to Faerun. They can't have children so they kidnap children and transform them into the Night Parade with the apparatus. I was under the assumption there would be a separate monster manual to explain all of these creatures because they are not traditional D&D monsters.

I know I've never heard of them the way they were described. I mean, some of these creatures seem to me to be straight from the Pit. The "children fly" things in Lhal's childhood home, the giant aberration that spawned them, Pieraccinni the informant from Calimport, that one creature that looked like a woman with hands all over its body (including its eye sockets!) that detach and attack targets, etc.

Some truly disgusting and horrific things! I look forward to the Realms Bestiary Volume II.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  02:22:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Varl

I know I've never heard of them the way they were described. I mean, some of these creatures seem to me to be straight from the Pit. The "children fly" things in Lhal's childhood home, the giant aberration that spawned them, Pieraccinni the informant from Calimport, that one creature that looked like a woman with hands all over its body (including its eye sockets!) that detach and attack targets, etc.

Some truly disgusting and horrific things! I look forward to the Realms Bestiary Volume II.

It's up. Big Al posted them the other day. See the What's New section of the main site.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2019 :  03:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, continuing to distract myself from my first foray into Realms fiction in a while...

I recently finished a book called Webley and the World Machine. Kinda steampunkish, and though it wasn't described as such, it felt like a Young Adult novel. While I'm not adverse to reading YA stuff, it's generally not my thing. And my YA assessment of this book could be wrong, but either way, the book just didn't work for me. Some nifty concepts, but the execution could have used some work.

Now I'm reading one called Not the Way the Smart Money Bets. It's an ebook, and though I've got a small library of ebooks, I generally forget they exist and reach for dead tree format, instead. But that wasn't an option, with this one... I got it for three reasons: It's pre-Jihad BattleTech (before the Fourth Succession War, even!), it's by Michael Stackpole (my fave BTech author and a fave, in general), and it's about the Kell Hounds, one of my fave military units in BattleTech.

I am, of course, enjoying this one, and it's nice to be reading new BattleTech fiction, as well. I was a huge BattleTech fan right up until they inflicted the Jihad on the setting -- and I hatehateHATE the Jihad so much it pushed me away from the setting. So having my fave BTech author revisit one of my fave units, at a time before the setting was ruined, is a wonderful thing.

I still would love to see Stackpole actually do the story of the Red Corsair, though. It's mentioned so oft in Kell Hounds stuff; it's a shame to not get to read the tale in full.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Mar 2019 03:12:10
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Learned Scribe

75 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  03:56:22  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading through WoT still, taking more breaks with books in between, including the Halo novel Silent Storm, which was not bad! Felt like the game, which I think is a good thing there. I'm currently on Crown of Swords and the finale for the Lord of Chaos was just insane. This series is pretty incredible. Looking forward to making it through to the end to see what ends up happening, although I'm sure I will be bummed when I finish it as well.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2292 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2019 :  04:04:09  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WoT is epic. Slow at times, but epic.

Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Learned Scribe

75 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  18:43:06  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's already had some slow points, and some epic points, but the slow points are totally worth slogging through for the epic ones. At least so far, and from what I've heard it's worth making it to the end as well!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2292 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  18:54:12  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely worth reading the whole thing. I started reading them when I was 12. The 9th one had recently come out in paperback, so I bought all 9 while on vacation in Hawaii lol. Then came the long hiatus when Jordan was in poor health, and eventually passed, before Sanderson took them out. You don't have to wait lol.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2019 :  20:41:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now I'm reading one called Not the Way the Smart Money Bets. It's an ebook, and though I've got a small library of ebooks, I generally forget they exist and reach for dead tree format, instead. But that wasn't an option, with this one... I got it for three reasons: It's pre-Jihad BattleTech (before the Fourth Succession War, even!), it's by Michael Stackpole (my fave BTech author and a fave, in general), and it's about the Kell Hounds, one of my fave military units in BattleTech.

I am, of course, enjoying this one, and it's nice to be reading new BattleTech fiction, as well. I was a huge BattleTech fan right up until they inflicted the Jihad on the setting -- and I hatehateHATE the Jihad so much it pushed me away from the setting. So having my fave BTech author revisit one of my fave units, at a time before the setting was ruined, is a wonderful thing.

I still would love to see Stackpole actually do the story of the Red Corsair, though. It's mentioned so oft in Kell Hounds stuff; it's a shame to not get to read the tale in full.

I will be finishing the third of these books this eve, and I've already decided that I need to read the Warrior trilogy next. Same author, same focus on the Kell Hounds, but it's about 15 years later -- just in time for the Fourth Succession War.

After that, I am likely to continue into the Blood of Kerensky books. It's been a while since I read those... I'm not even sure I own print copies of them, now, because my original copies were destroyed in the fire, and I've only replaced a portion of the BattleTech novelage I once had.

I discovered a lot of those old titles are available as eBooks, though, so I may forego my usual preference for dead tree format and go the ebook route -- a lot of those books were long out of print when I lost them in the fire, and that was a while ago.

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  03:08:54  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finally finished The Night Parade. Good story, and it gave me a new appreciation for hordlings as well as a new villainous group for my game.

Next up: The Ring of Winter.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2292 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  03:48:54  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading several books at once, as usual. Just finished Wicked Saints by Emily Duncan. It was awesome. Reminded me of the Grishaverse books. Now I have started The Devouring Gray by Christine Lee Herman.

Also reading The Silvan Chronicles on my Kindle, which I was drawn to because it was about elves. But...it's not very well written, and character development is mediocre. And I am finally reading Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (on book 2). It's good; I like the concept of using colors. But I liked his Night Angel trilogy better, at least so far.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32073 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2019 :  04:36:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I will be finishing the third of these books this eve, and I've already decided that I need to read the Warrior trilogy next. Same author, same focus on the Kell Hounds, but it's about 15 years later -- just in time for the Fourth Succession War.

After that, I am likely to continue into the Blood of Kerensky books. It's been a while since I read those... I'm not even sure I own print copies of them, now, because my original copies were destroyed in the fire, and I've only replaced a portion of the BattleTech novelage I once had.

I discovered a lot of those old titles are available as eBooks, though, so I may forego my usual preference for dead tree format and go the ebook route -- a lot of those books were long out of print when I lost them in the fire, and that was a while ago.

I finished the Warrior trilogy and read a book called Uncharted. I was looking forward to that one -- but it just didn't grab me as much as I hoped.

Now I'm reading 14, and will next read the kinda-sorta sequel The Fold. After that, I'm not sure... I recently saw the Amber books in an omnibus volume; I am considering getting that and reading it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000