Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels? [2]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3042 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  16:54:06  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been reading Realms books for the first time in over a year. Crossed-off Dawnbringer and the Trasitions trilogy from my Realms To-Read list.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  01:08:19  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still reading old novels. Will work on The Empire trilogy after read Realms of shadow. Around 79 novels read in this world

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3042 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  01:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

Still reading old novels. Will work on The Empire trilogy after read Realms of shadow. Around 79 novels read in this world

I remember really enjoying the Empires Trilogy wayyyy back in the day because of the new scenery it offered. It was nice seeing new areas of the Realms. Looking back, the writing probably wasn't too hot but oh well.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  10:59:23  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
loll probably, everything grow with evolution :D

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  11:00:44  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3042 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  14:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

I've seen the difference in the writing type when i read all Drizzt books until ghost king. There is a great evolution in Salvatore's writing over the years :) I have every book after Ghost King signed but yet unread :P

Salvatore's stories are entertaining, but he has several writing choices that really drive me crazy.

Next time you read one of his books count the times he uses the phrase "with abandon" in his sentences. Drives me crazy.

Go to Top of Page

Iahn Qoyllor
Seeker

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  13:36:36  Show Profile Send Iahn Qoyllor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3042 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  14:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I'm trying to read all of the Realms novels and I'm just finishing number 211 at the moment. I love Ed Greenwood's characters and imagination, however am I the only one who struggles to finish any books of his?

There have been a few of his books that I kind of skimmed through just to finish. However, I just read Elminster's Daughter and thought it was great compared to the few Elminster books that came before it.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2015 :  16:52:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iahn Qoyllor

I love his world-building, but his fiction does not work for me. Though, like Artemas, I did find Elminster's Daughter to be considerably more enjoyable than the prior Elminster books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Apr 2015 16:52:42
Go to Top of Page

sonofsaline
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  20:47:57  Show Profile Send sonofsaline a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had bought a few Realms novels when I was in high school, starting with the first, Darkwalker on Moonshae. For some reason I never got around to reading them, and then got rid of them. Since the beginning of this year I have been buying off of eBay and Amazon, and I have about 85% of all of the Realms novels now. I have read the Moonshae trilogy, the Icewind Dale trilogy, and am on Spellfire. It is exciting to think of reading the whole series, which is now almost 300 books. I have rediscovered my love of fantasy that I had as a teenager.

Edited by - sonofsaline on 04 May 2015 20:48:46
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2015 :  14:04:58  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Just finished The Companions, liked it even better than The Last Threshold.

Let me see... Since my last post (a long time ago), I have read all of the Sundering novels and Rise of the King, and I am now waiting for Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf and Fire in the Blood to arrive in tomorrow's mail.
I very much liked The Godborn (though one could notice easily that it was way too much story for one book - no surprise given that it should have covered a whole trilogy) and The Adversary, the other three Sundering books less so - and I have to say I was a bit disappointed by its supposed conclusion The Herald (again, too much story for one book, amongst other things).
Still, I am looking forward to Spellstorm and Throne of the Dead (not to forget Archmage and Ashes of the Tyrant) though I will wait for all those to be published in paperback.
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2015 :  10:15:04  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started reading the companions.did anyone else see the similarity to the movie the invisible.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

MordenGrey
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2015 :  17:52:57  Show Profile  Visit MordenGrey's Homepage Send MordenGrey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last three I read...The Lady of Poison by Bruce Cordell, The War of the Spider Queen Series (Various Authors) and the Abolethic Sovereignty. (Bruce Cordell)
-Also, Darkwalker on Moonshae (I saw a post up there about it and decided to comment)
WotC released it again a while back, I was working at B&N at the time and bought 'The First Trilogy in the Forgotten Realms'. I read through the whole series, thinking that Daryth--is incredibly similar to Drizzt. Later, I read the forward by RA Salvatore in Darkwalker on Moonshae...and lo and behold, he wrote a sample work for the Crystal Shard with Daryth and Canthus (who were later changed to Drizzt and Gwynevar).
RA Salvatore is 50% responsible for the creation of the most beloved Dark Elf in Faerun, I have to give the other 50% to Douglas Niles. If you read the Darkwalker trilogy first, and then the Dark Elf stuff, it will feel a little like a ripoff...if you read the Dark Elf stuff first (and because Drizzt is far more popular than Daryth ever will be) I imagine people will say that Daryth was just inspiration. I felt it was inspiration on Salvatore's part until I got tired of how conflicted Drizzt was all the time. At times he's the Hunter, other times he's a pacifist.
I haven't read past the tales with Obould.
Drizzt...or rather Salvatore...pushed my last button when someone decided to keep Twinkle over a blade that could not only make itself look like Twinkle--but could cut through damn near anything.
But, he's a renowned author, I'm not...so kudos to him.

I am Dungeon Master.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
156 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  00:40:18  Show Profile  Click to see HardKano's MSN Messenger address Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri
Salvatore's stories are entertaining, but he has several writing choices that really drive me crazy.

Next time you read one of his books count the times he uses the phrase "with abandon" in his sentences. Drives me crazy.

Sorry for the late reply ! That's my new daddy' life fault :P

Sure thing i'll watch over it :) Next book in Salvatore stories is Gautlgrym. Probably next year ... now i'll try to read books around Nanowrimo. Bought Terry Brooks (Sometimes the magic works) one and 2 from Athans (Writing monsters & The Guide to writing Fantasy & Science Fiction)

Edited by - HardKano on 30 Sep 2015 00:41:30
Go to Top of Page

youtoo
Acolyte

Ukraine
3 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2017 :  18:35:09  Show Profile Send youtoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
re: salvatore's nuances, i know it's supposed to give drizzt depth and everything, but i can't stand the italicized text that are supposed to represent his inner thoughts, or his journal.

they're just so repetitive. yes, comes from the underdark, father struggled with nature, so did/does drizzt, questions morality and hard choices he's made... i know i'm supposed to like it but i find myself flipping through those parts all the time.
Go to Top of Page

Rogue Bard
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2017 :  22:58:30  Show Profile  Visit Rogue Bard's Homepage Send Rogue Bard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by youtoo

re: salvatore's nuances, i know it's supposed to give drizzt depth and everything, but i can't stand the italicized text that are supposed to represent his inner thoughts, or his journal.

they're just so repetitive. yes, comes from the underdark, father struggled with nature, so did/does drizzt, questions morality and hard choices he's made... i know i'm supposed to like it but i find myself flipping through those parts all the time.

I've seen my share of bad writing, and this is a good example. That being said, overall I enjoyed the Dark Elf Trilogy, and there's lots to love about Salvatore's writing style that for me at least offsets that aspect of it. I like how he describes battles, use of magic, e.g., and he's great at characterization and worldbuilding. He really brought the Underdark and Icewind Dale alive for me. Incidentally, my copy of the Icewind Dale Trilogy is riddled with typos... but that's really the editor's fault, regardless of whether or not they originated with the author.

As to the OP's question, I am woefully behind in my reading, and that goes for all of the books I want to read, but especially as concerns FR novels. Aside from the ones I've already mentioned in this post, I've only read Elminster: The Making of a Mage about halfway through, and the first few pages of The Orc King.

Words are the bread and beer of the bard's soul.

Edited by - Rogue Bard on 25 Jun 2017 23:00:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000