Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018-20??)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  20:08:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My most recent reads are Without Remorse, Words of Radiance, and Pride and Prejudice. I should finish that last book today, and then I will read the Epic Failure Trilogy. I've read the first two books, but the third one just came out, so I'm going to read them all in one go. The first book got my attention because of the subtitle on the cover: "Please restart your warship."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BlindRobertBrown
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2019 :  21:45:06  Show Profile  Visit BlindRobertBrown's Homepage Send BlindRobertBrown a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Yes, Last Mythal was the one with the Fey'ri, and the elven mage Araevin. I encourage you to get back to it when/if you get a chance.

Elaine's works are among my favorites in the Realms. Like many, I was introduced to the Realms via Drizzt. I loved them at first, but then I branched out, and realized the Drizzt books were not great for lore (except maybe helping to develop Menzoberrazan). I have become pretty disenchanted with them.

The Cormyr novels are good, and I think you are thinking of Threat from the Sea by Mel Odom.

Are you thinking of the avariel, the winged elves? Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy talked about them, and one of the characters I believe was half-avariel.

No, I'm refering to the race that looks like a mix between a person and a Eagle/Parrot. Their arms double as wings.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Drizzt books (well at least the ones I've read so far), and I still like him as a character but there are moments where I just want someone to smite some sense into him.

I just recently found out that Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie break up, more or less, and that Drizzt ends up getting with her in later books....Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

Having read a number of books from other authors for the Forgotten Realms setting, Salvatore is now probably my least favorite of them. Mostly because I hate how minialistic he can be about describing characters or fleshing some of the minor ones out. It drives me right up a wall. Even after all these years I'm still not quite sure if the small village of elves that live near Mooshie's groveare Wood elves or Moon Elves.

I bought copies of books 7-10 for Drizzt's saga last month. I need to convert more of my collection to a much more accessible format before I can read them, and honestly there are other books I'm looking forward to reading more so than those ones.

So far, when it comes to Drizzt's books, my favorite characters are Vizra?, Zaknafein, Jarlaxel, Montolio Debrouchee, Fret Rockcrusher,Harkel Harpell, Dudermont, and Dove Falconhand.

I adore Elaine's writing from what little I've read so far. I'm about to jump into reading Brimstone Angels or at least the first book of that series, I'll probably finish reading Daughters of the Drow once I'm done reading the first Brimstone Angels book.

Good to know that was indeed the trilogy I was thinking of. Yeah, I want to read more of that trilogy. Honestly though, reading it makes me wish Wizards would add some races like Fae'ri as a playable race for fifth edition.

Yes, that's the trilogy I was thinking of. I don't know why I keep thinking it's called "Terror" instead of "Threat." Whoops, my bad there.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  03:39:26  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlindRobertBrown

quote:

Yes, Last Mythal was the one with the Fey'ri, and the elven mage Araevin. I encourage you to get back to it when/if you get a chance.

Elaine's works are among my favorites in the Realms. Like many, I was introduced to the Realms via Drizzt. I loved them at first, but then I branched out, and realized the Drizzt books were not great for lore (except maybe helping to develop Menzoberrazan). I have become pretty disenchanted with them.

The Cormyr novels are good, and I think you are thinking of Threat from the Sea by Mel Odom.

Are you thinking of the avariel, the winged elves? Year of the Rogue Dragons trilogy talked about them, and one of the characters I believe was half-avariel.

No, I'm refering to the race that looks like a mix between a person and a Eagle/Parrot. Their arms double as wings.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Drizzt books (well at least the ones I've read so far), and I still like him as a character but there are moments where I just want someone to smite some sense into him.

I just recently found out that Wulfgar and Cattie-Brie break up, more or less, and that Drizzt ends up getting with her in later books....Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that.

Having read a number of books from other authors for the Forgotten Realms setting, Salvatore is now probably my least favorite of them. Mostly because I hate how minialistic he can be about describing characters or fleshing some of the minor ones out. It drives me right up a wall. Even after all these years I'm still not quite sure if the small village of elves that live near Mooshie's groveare Wood elves or Moon Elves.

I bought copies of books 7-10 for Drizzt's saga last month. I need to convert more of my collection to a much more accessible format before I can read them, and honestly there are other books I'm looking forward to reading more so than those ones.

So far, when it comes to Drizzt's books, my favorite characters are Vizra?, Zaknafein, Jarlaxel, Montolio Debrouchee, Fret Rockcrusher,Harkel Harpell, Dudermont, and Dove Falconhand.

I adore Elaine's writing from what little I've read so far. I'm about to jump into reading Brimstone Angels or at least the first book of that series, I'll probably finish reading Daughters of the Drow once I'm done reading the first Brimstone Angels book.

Good to know that was indeed the trilogy I was thinking of. Yeah, I want to read more of that trilogy. Honestly though, reading it makes me wish Wizards would add some races like Fae'ri as a playable race for fifth edition.

Yes, that's the trilogy I was thinking of. I don't know why I keep thinking it's called "Terror" instead of "Threat." Whoops, my bad there.

Hmm..the only thing that comes to mind for me is the kenku (they're crow-like). I don't know of any other bird-like people.

Eh, I didn't really like Wulfgar and Catti-bire together, and Drizzt and Cat have always had chemistry, so I was glad when they finally acknowledge their feelings and get together lol.

That is one of the things that irks me the most about RAS' books; he seems to disregard most lore. It's like playing in the FR sandbox and then throwing the sand. As much has he had written about elves, he hardly goes into their lore and culture at all (and when he does, it tends to be inaccurate). I don't hate the books, but I have become disenchanted with them.

I loved Brimstone Angels. Very good books.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  03:42:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My most recent reads have been Blood & Ice{/I] by Ariana Nash. I finished that in one day. Her Silk & Steel trilogy is amazing (Blood & Ice was the 3rd in the trilogy). She has a spin-off book coming out the end of this year.

Currently, I am reading more than one book (as is my wont): Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell, The King's Dragon by WM Fawkes, and I started reading [I]Nevernight
by Jay Kristoff.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  04:31:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BlindRobertBrown

quote:

Hmm..the only thing that comes to mind for me is the kenku (they're crow-like). I don't know of any other bird-like people.

Aarakocra are like that, too, in some editions.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2019 :  04:50:58  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay, thank you! I was not familiar with them ^^

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2020 :  15:28:47  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished the first book of the Cloakmaster Cycle, Beyond the Moons. This was a 6-part series utilizing the Spelljammer setting but also popping in on other TSR planets. Each book in the sextet is written by a different author, which is sure to introduce all kinds of inconsistencies in tone and character development :)

This first offering was... not the best. I've enjoyed many of Dave Cook's products in the past - both novels and game supplements. But this one was a bit rough around the edges. It starts in the Dragonlance world of Krynn, with a somewhat unremarkable farmer having his home crash-landed on by a spelljamming vessel. The dying captain passes off her magical cloak to him and tells him to protect it as she expires. One other crew member, a giff (hippopotamus man) survives the crash and helps the main character survive the vicious neogi, who are hunting for the cloak at all costs.

It heavily involves tinker gnomes from Mt. Nevermind (oh boy...) and culminates with the main character getting off world and wondering what he will do next.

Edited by - VikingLegion on 17 Mar 2020 15:29:32
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2020 :  04:36:35  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most recent FR Book I read was Death Masks earlier this year. On different topics, my current book being read is Do Dice Play God? by Ian Stewart. Definitely not Forgotten Realms, unless you wish to mathematize Tymora and Beshaba.
Go to Top of Page

DenverJack
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2020 :  18:40:54  Show Profile Send DenverJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Death Masks was also the last Realms book I’ve read. I know Ed’s stuff isn’t to everyone’s liking, but I have to read it for the lore.
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  18:58:06  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read a book in the Elminster saga for many years ... I started again with Elminster must die ... I confess it was not an easy return, but there are interesting points in it. I like the characterization of Ed's villains.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  21:21:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently reading the third book of the Riyria Revelations, by Michael J Sullivan.

Next up, I'll be revisiting the only wizard in the Chicago phone book... At long last, Jim Butcher is putting out not one but two new Dresden Files novels. I usually prefer to re-read an entire series when a new book comes out, but now that we're something like 15 books in, that's more of a tasking than it is with the average series of 3 to 6 books. So I arbitrarily decided to start with Small Favor ("Likest thou jelly within thy doughnut?" "Nay, but prithee, with sprinkles 'pon it instead," I said solemnly, "and frosting of white.") and work my way up to the new stuff from there. I'll also be hitting all the short stories, in the appropriate spots.

On a related note, the last time I read through the books, I took a lot of notes -- there's a lot going on in the books, and some of it only comes to light several novels later. One particular line jumped out at me, from one of the earlier books -- Nicodemus referring to Harry as "Little Maggie's youngest." It's that -est that caught my eye -- either Nico was being sloppy with his grammar, or he was referring to three or more children. Since we know of Harry and his half-brother, I'm now wondering if there's a third child -- perhaps one with fae blood, possibly born on May 1st.

Go to Top of Page

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  12:16:34  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m enjoying the City of Ravens at the minute.
I recently read Diana Wynn Jones’ Chrestomanci books and lngary trilogy. I found these through a Neil Gamin article I read where he named her as one of his favourite writers. I read them myself and then to my children, we really enjoyed them and as a search did not come up with much about her on the forum I thought I would throw it out there that her books are worth a look. They are Sometimes billed as “kids books” but I found them rich, engaging, and not at all written down for “little people” - indeed I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as children’s books anyway, only people books...
Start with “Howl’s Moving Castle” or “Charmed Life”.

Exiled from the realms for 35 years on a quest for the lost chord. I return empty handed to resume my studies...
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  06:44:29  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Venom in her Veins. I'm just starting it, but while the novel is set in the Realms, there are references to Arkhosia and Bael Turath --elements from 4e core. Either the author wasn't very thorough in his Realmslore, or WotC didn't care, or both.

Guess this means I can include them in my Realms with a bit of "canon support".

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2020 :  19:39:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently reading Chaos Rising, the new Thrawn book... Since I first read the original Thrawn books, he's been my favorite Star Wars villain. Vader is awesomely scary, and all that, but the way Thrawn stays so calm and is always thinking a dozen steps ahead of everyone else is awesome -- he's like a military Moriarity.

For once, I've got a to-read pile going on. After this will likely be Sword and Pen, the next book in the Great Library series, and then books 2 and 3 of the Swords and Fire series.

I'm also slowly -- very slowly! -- slogging my way through The Federalist Papers. The ones written by Alexander Hamilton have some amazingly-constructed sentences, but no matter which of the three authors it is, it's all very dry. I'm reading one essay at a time, and I'm only doing a couple a week -- I have a really hard time staying focused on non-fiction stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  03:50:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently reading The Herald. About 100 pages in and Ed Greenwood's writing has been bearable.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 23 Jan 2021 21:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  05:34:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently re-reading the Codex Alera books. I'm about halfway through the third one.

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  01:35:10  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert, et alia,

I am currently rereading the Cleric Quintet! :)

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  02:46:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently reading 3 books, 2 fiction and one non-fiction: The Clockwork Angel, The Last Sun, and [i[A History of the Japanese Language[/i].

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2020 :  13:13:52  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Pathfinder 1e Core Rulebook and Bestiary for fiction. Non-fiction is Practical Time Series Forecasting for one of my certification classes.
Go to Top of Page

Darkken
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2020 :  22:38:31  Show Profile Send Darkken a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Spellfire, an interesting book, was introduced to a wise wizard named Elminster.

Slovotsky's Law Number Nineteen: When telling a story, effect trumps truth.
-Walter Slovotsky

Isaiah 53:5
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  23:47:15  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

Currently reading The Herald. About 100 pages in and Ed Greenwood's writing as been bearable.

Storm Silverhand's hair does most of the fighting for her in this book. Beyond lame and is making me skim any time she's on the page. The Elminster parts of this book have been surprisingly enjoyable.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2020 :  09:27:46  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fellow scribes,

I am also rereading FR10: Old Empires.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

eayottes
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  20:28:17  Show Profile Send eayottes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just started Unholy by Richard Lee Byers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  21:06:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading The Great Book of Amber, an omnibus edition of all 10 books. I'm enjoying it, but I'm just shy of 1100 pages into this 1250ish page book -- I'm ready to read something else!

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2021 :  21:37:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been reading The Great Book of Amber, an omnibus edition of all 10 books. I'm enjoying it, but I'm just shy of 1100 pages into this 1250ish page book -- I'm ready to read something else!

If you need a palate cleanser after Zelazny, I would suggest Lanier's Hiero's Journey. Does a decent depiction of psionics and is a pretty straight forward adventure.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Hemvar
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  16:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Hemvar's Homepage Send Hemvar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am reading Night Masks, trying to finish up the Cleric Quintet so I can get to the Twilight War.
I just finished Stone of Farewell yesterday, and I think after my current read I'll settle in for the long haul of To Green Angel Tower.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  21:30:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Circle of Skulls to complete the Waterdeep series.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2021 :  21:49:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hemvar

I am reading Night Masks, trying to finish up the Cleric Quintet so I can get to the Twilight War.

Make sure you read the Erevis Cale trilogy before Twilight Wars, as TW is a follow-up trilogy

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  02:43:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting my last ebook-only Realms novel: Spider and Stone.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2021 :  03:09:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a good read!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000