Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2020 :  16:06:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wildwood Jackrabbit - This rather strange jackalope is attributed to a legend of Raelkath Maneeboughs blessing a primordial rabbit, Harifur, said to be a mount of the infamous kercpa hero god, Rititisk the Clever. Its said that the excrement of Harifur was used by Rititisk to fertilize many great trees, including several seeds of the world tree, including great Raelkath himself. From a distance, it appears almost like any other jackalope, except that its fur coloration is almost always silvery-white with spots of bright green. In truth, this greenery is made up of small pieces of clover that grow from amongst its fur and its silvery-white fur resembles dandelion hairs. These hairs are known to detach themselves in the wind, and where they land, several days later flowers like red clover, iris, marigolds, lilies, carnations, daisies, sunflowers, bluebells, beavertail cactii,and snapdragons or vines and shrubs producing honeysuckle, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, muscadine, barberry, cloudberries, buffaloberries, huckleberries, elderberries, or sandgrapes are found in bloom. Particularly strong storms have been known to strip these creatures of their fur, leaving them cold and shivering and seeking the warmth of a companion. Couples that allow a "naked" wildwood jackrabbit to nestle with them for warmth have spread rumors that they were inordinately virile that night, and they are often said to produce children, especially twins, as a result. Their tails are small collections of small white flowers. Their flesh, for though few are killed and studied as its considered bad luck to kill one of these rabbits by the minnenewah, has been found to be more like that of a mushroom than normal musculature. Its horns are actually sprouting trees growing from their heads, with variations being pawpaw, persimmon, mayhaw, apple, pear, peach, plum, cherry, pomegranate, pecan, hickory nut, salmonberry, saskatoon, gooseberry, mulberry, honeyfruit, and weirwood. A given wildwood jackrabbit can produce any of these types, and they often sprout a tree and have it grow for only 2 or 3 weeks before it begins to detach from their head after reaching a length of a little more than a foot or even two feet long. Given that these strange rabbits are believed to live at least four to five years naturally, this means that they are often the source of nearly a hundred such trees before they pass. It is believed by many however that they only sprout a weirwood tree when they are old and ready to die, and that it never detaches from their bodies, but rather the wildwood jackrabbits corpse becomes a fertile compost to feed the fledgling weirwood. The adusgi forest is believed to have so many weirwoods due to the fact that many of these rabbits seem drawn to return there when they sense their deaths coming. Many if not all of these weirwoods that survive past their first fifty years end up having a rather strange looking dryad, possessing rabbit like ears atop their heads, and a soft puffy tail above their buttocks. Its also thought that the children of these dryads produce newborn wildwood jackrabbits for centuries to come. The Azuposi, Poscadari elves, and Minnenewah believe that these dryads are awakened by the daughters of Cornmother, the spirits known as Uretsete and Naotsete, but the Metahel and bearfolk say that these dryads are awakened by the goddesses Eldunna and Balanis the Honeyqueen. The short ones of the Pasocada basin speak of a goddess known to them as Sheela Peryroyal, and its said that they have over a dozen such weirwood trees that they tend as holy temples in their homeland. The trees of wildwood jackrabbits slain before their time are said to eventually grow into wood woads and treants which possess the nature of the type of tree that was growing from the head of the wildwood jackrabbit when it died.

Wildwood jackrabbits, like most rabbits are herbivorous and often eat plants, however, they are also capable of consuming decaying and diseased flesh. They do so not so much by chewing it however, for a corpse touched by a wildwood jackrabbit seems to simple melt away into the earth while the jackrabbit seems to grow noticeably larger in its belly. In the case of diseased flesh, wildwood jackrabbits consume the disease from flesh, even cancerous, cracked, and fevered flesh that is still alive, leaving renewed and healthy flesh in its wake. During this process they grow larger and their fur temporarily takes on a darker hue, and the trees growing on their heads tend to grow larger and sprout more leaves and subtly glow as they attract sunlight. Its thought that taking on a sickness is often what tends to "break" a tree from the head of a wildwood jackrabbit, for usually a jackrabbit leaves behind a new growth which the benefactor is expected to care for. However, these strange magical rabbits do not always survive the transfer of disease, and if they die their fur and the tree growing from their head darkens completely to black. The Minnenewah believe that is is bad luck to allow the tree from such a failed attempt to take root, for there are rumors that they grow into trees whose fruit induces paranoia in those who eat of it and these trees have a spiteful dryad-like spirit which is said to actually spread sickness. The Minnenewah believe that it falls upon the person healed, or their family in the case of small children or the elderly, to take the remains far from their village and build a great pyre of rotted wood. The ashes of this fire must be carefully gathered afterward and transported to a forest, where they must be buried beneath the roots of a weirwood tree. Those that complete such quests are said to often gain great virility as a result.

Given their benevolent nature, its no wonder that nearly all tribes of anchorome seem to appreciate these animals and treat them as holy beasts. In particular, the Metahel priestesses of Sifya the Warmother and Eldunna have shown great love for them after a virulent plague spread among their populace soon after they landed in the Pasocada basin, and hundreds of these hares descended upon their community at once. This was perhaps the greatest known influx of wildwood jackrabbits ever seen so far from the Adusgi Forest, and numerous groves of various fruit and nut trees, fruit bearing vines and shrubs, and wildflowers are said to dot their newfound home to this day only because of their arrival. Helms, weapons, and carven staves of the Metahel women often carry the imagery of a wildwood jackrabbit with a small tree flowering on its head, and insults of these items are not considered acceptable at all by any in the community. All attempts to tame wildwood jackrabbits or keep them to a given community have thus far failed, with such attempts seeming to leave the hare growing sickly after only a week or two.

However, not all creatures find wildwood jackrabbits to be so virtuous, for coyotlweres and the alien minded folk of the land of the insect men have been known to kill and eat these creatures whenever they can capture them. This has resulted in much hatred of these beings by their surrounding neighbors, and many small metahel raiding parties have invaded to kill thri-kreen, ettercaps, and other creatures believed to have committed such atrocities. The newly arrived Abeil in the land of the insect men have also expressed disgust to their fellows over such practices, though to date nothing has changed.

Behare - This oversized rabbit, perhaps the size of a sheepdog, possesses eight legs and is also rumored to have come from the great spirit known as Harifur long ago. These creatures are known to be exceptionally fast and are prized mounts of creatures small enough to ride one, who often use their long ears to guide the creatures. They are hungrier than most creatures of a similar size and have been known to clear areas of grass and small trees, including stumps, in order to fill their gullets. Their manure is encourages the growing of grass and small shrubs, and the majority of these creatures have been found in either the kaaya'yeeda or adusgi forest in areas where grass and shrubs dominate rather than tall trees.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 24 Dec 2020 16:13:19
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  21:33:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seethyr,

Go read the topic I just created called Lore: History of the Metahel Pantheon. I'm working on doing up the metahel gods. I'm torn between making it a separate piece (which would make more sense) or just including it in the race thing I've been working on and have almost done.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
941 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  01:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Seethyr,

Go read the topic I just created called Lore: History of the Metahel Pantheon. I'm working on doing up the metahel gods. I'm torn between making it a separate piece (which would make more sense) or just including it in the race thing I've been working on and have almost done.

Awesome. I really think they deserve their own separate write up, but that's just me. You can consider of course their pantheon, but also things like specific backgrounds, subclasses unique to them, magic, etc. I think a whaler, for example, might make an excellent background - something that brings them into conflict with the darfellan.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  12:48:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Seethyr,

Awesome. I really think they deserve their own separate write up, but that's just me. You can consider of course their pantheon, but also things like specific backgrounds, subclasses unique to them, magic, etc. I think a whaler, for example, might make an excellent background - something that brings them into conflict with the darfellan.

That's a good idea and I've been playing with the idea that with the coming of the people from Thay came 2 subraces of humans.... Mulan and Rashemi.... well, we all know how Mulans are... but Rashemi of Thay still held some of their northerly cousin's stories to heart. Stories of a goddess named Bhalla (whom Faerunians who know say is Chauntea, but Rashemi think they're silly and say she's a great cow) and another goddess named Khelliara (whom Faerunians who know say is Mielikki, but Rashemi think they're silly and say she's a great deer who sometimes appear as a woman with antlers). Some had even heard ancient Yuir stories of a "tree god" named Relkath of the Many Branches and a bear god named Magnar the Bear. So, when the Rashemi and the Metahel get together and start sharing myths, they notice Bhalla sounds like Audhum-Bhalla, Khelliara sounds like Kaelleara, Magnar the Bear sounds like Magnaer the Bear, Relkath of the Many Branches sounds like Raelkath Maneeboughs, Ulutiu sounds like Ueluetue... and its not just the similarities of the names, the myths are near identical. Then they recall that the people who appeared in Rashemen, calling themselves the Rus, came from somewhere else and they realize they're distantly related. So, some of the Rashemi and Metahel go to form a small society of their own on an island off the eastern side of Anchorome, and they start calling themselves by a name that's maybe a mixture of all 3 peoples.... maybe

Rushemahel
Rashemahel
maybe something different... taking ideas.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9895 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2021 :  15:29:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Separately from the above kind of

As you've seen, for the races stuff, I've got it mostly completed, but I wanted to throw in some location information... but I'm sidetracked

I'm also working on something dealing with some flying ships for my Luneira and Esh Alakar tharchs

Thirdly, I've been playing with the pantheon thing, and I may turn it into a document noting how the Metahel and Rashemi (and some other races) have come to occupy some islands off the eastern coast. I will probably include a revamp of my spirit shaman <and change its name to something more viking-like> as well (from complete red book of spell strategy), which is like a binder from the old Tome of Magic product but using the framework of the warlock class, but one in which you have a LOT more flexibility to just make up a story about who your "spirit" you are binding to is. This will be a variation of what they call "runecasting", because you make a sign and then bind the spirit to you in exchange for its power. With this particular concept you aren't confined to only dark and creepy vestiges like what appeared in Tome of Magic, and if someone for instance wants to write up how they're "binding to the spirit of Thunderbird or the Dawn Cock" they can.

I think I'm going to turn them into 3 separate things, and on the race one including some basics for locations like listing a race and noting places where they're commonly found. People can then correlate that with the map I'm including. I can come back later to flesh out those locations better than the scrap notes I have and do it more justice.

I want to use your naming/numbering system in a way that "links" our stuff but shows mine as "optional".... basically a campaign meant to work within the structure of your campaign concepts, but equally as capable of being left out (because I'm trying to accept most things you say, and if I miss something, well, it is what it is... we're doing this for fun, and at times we may have a slightly different view or lack of what the other is thinking).

So, what I was thinking is how you use ANCnumber for your anchorome campaign stuff, I'd like to use ANC-UToTnumber for "Anchorome - United Tharchs of Toril". I realize that some thinks won't even really involve my tharchs idea, but I'll probably end up making references here and there in everything. So, the first being ANC-UToT1, ANC-UToT2, etc... and when I head down to the Lopango Tharch .... MAZ-UToT1.... if I head to Peleverai in the Shaar FAER-UToT1 etc....

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000