Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2018)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2018 :  01:54:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading the Riftwar Saga, the first four books of the series. I've decided to do the Empire trilogy next, since it covers a lot of the same time period.

I think I'll take a break after these books, so I don't burn out on the series, as I've done before. Not sure what that break will consist of, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2018 :  21:20:40  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started on Shadowdale this past weekend. Iím just a little bit in, but I like it.

I ended up enjoying Neversfall, so I am happy I made it through this time. I like the main character Adeenya quite a bit. The story is a mix of mystery and military/political intrigue, but it is heavy on the relationship dynamics as well. It touches on colonialism, and the tension between cultural conservation and xenophobia, but it doesnít explore these issues in great detail. Most of the conceptual focus is on the moral gradations of Law.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  00:56:11  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Ghost King which was my favorite of this most recent trilogy within the Drizzt series, although I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending. I'm onto Bands of Mourning now, but am excited to get to Gauntlgrym and see what's next for the series...

Although I also want to get to the rest of the Cosmere, as well as WoT. I need more time to read...
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  23:58:28  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage  Send Bragi an AOL message  Send Bragi an ICQ Message  Send Bragi a Yahoo! Message Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been listening to Whisper of Waves on audio book and I have come to realize I pronounce quite a few realms terms incorrectly. Most egregious of which are the names of the months. I'm working on correcting that but 30 years of pronouncing something incorrectly is hard to change. As for the book itself, it has been interesting. It made much more sense once I realized it was set in the Lake of Steam area and not the Lake of Mists area.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2018 :  00:52:45  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bragi

I've been listening to Whisper of Waves on audio book and I have come to realize I pronounce quite a few realms terms incorrectly. Most egregious of which are the names of the months. I'm working on correcting that but 30 years of pronouncing something incorrectly is hard to change. As for the book itself, it has been interesting. It made much more sense once I realized it was set in the Lake of Steam area and not the Lake of Mists area.



I can't speak to that book in particular, but I have noticed when different narrators do books in the same series or "realm" they often pronounce things differently. So you might not be wrong...
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  16:23:22  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished The Sapphire Crescent, it was a fine book. I am sure that I will finish the trilogy at some point, but definitely not on my radar right now. I also cruised through a bunch of the Cosmere short stories, most notably Mistborn: Secret History, which objectively is kind of a bad book, but the background to Era 1 and the tidbits to Era 2 that you get are quite interesting.

I'm trying to decide whether to start WoT or continue the Drizzt series with Gauntlgrym... Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  17:25:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras

Just finished The Sapphire Crescent, it was a fine book. I am sure that I will finish the trilogy at some point, but definitely not on my radar right now. I also cruised through a bunch of the Cosmere short stories, most notably Mistborn: Secret History, which objectively is kind of a bad book, but the background to Era 1 and the tidbits to Era 2 that you get are quite interesting.

I'm trying to decide whether to start WoT or continue the Drizzt series with Gauntlgrym... Any suggestions?



I've not read either, myself, but I've heard good things about the Wheel of Time books.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2018 :  17:37:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm revisiting the four* books of the Hitchhiker's Trilogy, right now. I will likely read another standalone novel or two after that, before getting back to the Riftwar-related books

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, in regards to the Hitchhiker's books -- but there was some censoring of the language in those books, when published in the US. I did not know this, initially... My original copies were from the early 80's, and I'd gotten them from a used book store. Then I lost my copies in the fire. When my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Ireland, we wandered into a bookstore in Dublin, where I saw an omnibus printing of the four books. So I decided to go ahead and replace my copies.

I read the books on the flight home (Dublin to Orlando, non-stop, is not a short flight!). I'd read my original copies enough that I noticed some changes here and there, and so I googled it when I got home, and that's how I learned about the censorship.

Other than little bits here and there, the most notable change was the guy at the party who'd won the award for the most gratuitous use of the word "Belgium" in a serious screenplay -- in the original version, it was the f-bomb. And that version isn't as funny, to me, as the edited version.

*There are four books in the trilogy. Rumors of a fifth book are the most vile heresy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Jun 2018 17:38:13
Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  14:00:57  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Shadowdale over the weekend and started on Tantras. Iíve been reading Forgotten Realms novels off-and-on pretty much since they started being published, but I never really conceptually embraced the setting much more than as a framework to drape the trappings of the tabletop game over. I was really just looking for a substitute for the sessions I had stopped having opportunities to play. The Finderís Stone trilogy and now the Avatar series have me hooked into the Realms as a world onto itself. The characterizations and plotting have been very satisfying and Iím growing more-and-more attached to the universe independent of its relationship to the gaming sourcebooks which fostered my initial interest. I know some of what is coming, and I am excited to see it play out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31146 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  18:06:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently working my way through the Legends of the Riftwar books; I'm now on the second book, Murder in LaMut. I kinda remembered the prior book, Honoured Enemy*, but this one, it's been a long time since I read it and I may have only read it the one time -- so it's almost a new read, to me. I'm 100 pages in, and thus far, I've not remembered anything from having read it previously.

The next book will be the third one of the series, focused on and titled for my fave character from all of the books, Jimmy the Hand.

After that, I'll dip back into the new pile of books, and then back to Midkemia for a while.



*Yes, the British spelling. The Legends of the Riftwar books were published in the UK, before being published in the US. I'd never even heard of them, until my absent, senile, and still-missed friend SiriusBlack said something about it, back in the day.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  15:21:18  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goblins

I finished Shadowdale over the weekend and started on Tantras. Iíve been reading Forgotten Realms novels off-and-on pretty much since they started being published, but I never really conceptually embraced the setting much more than as a framework to drape the trappings of the tabletop game over. I was really just looking for a substitute for the sessions I had stopped having opportunities to play. The Finderís Stone trilogy and now the Avatar series have me hooked into the Realms as a world onto itself. The characterizations and plotting have been very satisfying and Iím growing more-and-more attached to the universe independent of its relationship to the gaming sourcebooks which fostered my initial interest. I know some of what is coming, and I am excited to see it play out.




How is Tantas? I have read Shadowdale, but never continued on. I liked Shadowdale because it felt like a DND excursion into itself, even though I only ever played once way back in the day. I did have a hard time pushing through it in some spots though. Not sure why, but I had a hard time keeping focused on it.
Go to Top of Page

goblins
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2018 :  23:30:11  Show Profile Send goblins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taleras
How is Tantas? I have read Shadowdale, but never continued on. I liked Shadowdale because it felt like a DND excursion into itself, even though I only ever played once way back in the day. I did have a hard time pushing through it in some spots though. Not sure why, but I had a hard time keeping focused on it.



I think the story really speeds up in Tantras and Waterdeep. I was already planning on posting in this thread because I blew trough them so quickly and started Prince of Lies yesterday. I think they do an excellent job of keeping the action moving while still developing the main protagonists and adding in interesting side characters as well. I ended up really enjoying the first three novels.

Edition rule changes are always controversial, and I have my own personal thoughts about them, but just as a matter of craftsmanship, I think the authors did a good job of working the story around that framework.
Go to Top of Page

Taleras
Seeker

64 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2018 :  15:02:29  Show Profile Send Taleras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that's awesome. I did feel like Shadowdale dragged, so maybe the next two will be more to my liking!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000