Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2017, 2018 and 2019)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32223 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2019 :  20:12:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A thousand feet long but 60 feet at the shoulder... It's a dragon/Corgi crossbreed!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3724 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  18:25:11  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, or anyone in the know:

The adventuring band mentioned in the Old Grey Box called "the Hunt"...were they actual players or more lore cooked up by Ed and never used again?

Anything you have would be of great help!

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2019 :  04:43:17  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Listening to one of the recent "Mages and Sages" podcasts, and about halfway in one of the questions Ed was asked was about the Market of Waterdeep; as it was of particular interest to me, I did a rough transcription and thought I would post it here for anyone similarly interested; I encourage everyone to listen to it (and Eric L. Boyd's after-thoughts), directly in the podcast as well (link following at bottom)

quote:

There is not much in print, as far as I know, because that part of the notes, that part and the Walking Statues got really left out because of that 64-page limit in Waterdeep and the North. So, here we go, here's my basics, okay?

If you look at the old Waterdeep maps, around the edge of the Market, there are some buildings drawn. Those are the only permanent buildings. No more permanent shops and stalls are allowed, they're just forbidden. All of the vendors in the Market have to get a city permit – and yes, this has become a source of revenue, like any real-world city – but it was really instituted to prevent overcrowding (and if you don't issue too many daily permits, things can't get overcrowded, that's the intent). And on top of that, they pay a daily trading fee to the city and they have to locate where the City Watch, who are on duty at the time they're setting up, tell them to locate ("in here, this lot here," and it's chalked out). And the reason that is in place, they had to put in that rule to stop somebody boxing in somebody else's stall, or blocking off access to another stall, OR coming along and saying "oh, there's no spaces left; this laneway that they've left so people can get to other people's stalls, I'll just put my stall in it, and block everybody because hey, I'm important." So to stop that happening you have to locate where the Watch tells you to.

When you think of the stalls, they have to be non-permanent. A few of them are put up with the sort of slotted-wooden-panels-put-together thing, but almost all of them are carts, or wagons; and by cart I mean a hand-cart, something less than a wagon, so you can push by yourself, and these things have awnings added to them. And any beasts that haul the wagons to the site get unhitched and taken away from the Market; they're temporarily housed elsewhere, to the west right near Mount Waterdeep.

The actual layout, beyond those fringe buildings that are on the map, that are marked on the published maps, changes constantly; like if you don't show up, at your usual time, the little chalked area that you usually occupy, the City Watch will probably give it to someone else and then you get put somewhere else. So the actual layout changes all the time. Many shopkeepers elsewhere in the city, in the shops that you own the building or rent a building and you pay taxes on, if they're running out of stuff because people are shopping them dry, they run to the Market, buy stuff from the stalls, and top up their own stock in the shop. And they also dump stuff at the Market, they sell at hugely reduced prices overstock from their shops, stuff they can't move, to the Market vendors. The Market vendors may decide that they will willingly buy this because many of them travel to other towns and cities and say, "yeah well, I can probably dump that, or I can probably sell that, in Amn or in Tethyr." Now, these Market vendors cannot be members of any Waterdhavian guilds; they are supposed to be visiting outlanders, they're not supposed to be citizens of Waterdeep who are too cheap to buy or rent shops elsewhere in the city.

So that's my basic notes from way back when, when I was telling Jeff Grubb what the Market was, so that's the rock-bottom basics.

[ Source: Ed Greenwood, Mages and Sages Podcast, Episode 8: Interview with the Old Mage with Special Guest Eric Boyd <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJTWmDLH0wI> (roughly to 34:00 37:40) ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 04 Apr 2019 04:43:33
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1661 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2019 :  15:24:00  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Thumbs Up" AJA, thanks for the post. I hadn't really been interested in the podcast because there's so much NDA and Ed so often gets asked the same questions (from what I've seen in the past anyway) that I convinced myself it wouldn't be worth it. But bits of information like this are the bread-and-butter of immersive gaming.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1428 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2019 :  15:48:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

"Thumbs Up" AJA, thanks for the post. I hadn't really been interested in the podcast because there's so much NDA and Ed so often gets asked the same questions (from what I've seen in the past anyway) that I convinced myself it wouldn't be worth it. But bits of information like this are the bread-and-butter of immersive gaming.

George and I are not under NDA.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

muir
Seeker

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2019 :  05:07:06  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, what currencies might be in use in the markets of Dhaztanar around 1360 DR?
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Seeker

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  22:11:18  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage  Send JEThetford an AOL message  Send JEThetford a Yahoo! Message Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Muir, your question will be asked at tonights Mages and Sages interview in which we continue with our special guest Eric Boyd.

quote:
Originally posted by muir

Ed, what currencies might be in use in the markets of Dhaztanar around 1360 DR?

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

JEThetford
Seeker

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2019 :  22:12:58  Show Profile  Visit JEThetford's Homepage  Send JEThetford an AOL message  Send JEThetford a Yahoo! Message Send JEThetford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

George and I are not under NDA.

...which is great so when Ed says "NDA" I can toss it to you and George to run with. Now, don't be shy if you are able to at least give a little bit of info!

The only good Drow, is a dead Drow.

Aaomas Balkrim, Drow Hunter
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1661 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2019 :  03:28:59  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he's trying to encourage us to ask questions of them...not just limit them to Ed. And he's right, both ELB and GK have put out amazing work on the Realms and continue to do so.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2019 :  18:37:11  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed. I've been listening my way through the "Interviews with the Old Mage" on Youtube, which have been fun, and wanted to ask a follow-up to one of the things you were discussing. In one episode you talked about how elves, when trading amongst themselves, tended to use either seeds or saplings as currency. I think that's a fascinating form of exchange, and since my players are going to be heading to Myth Drannor in the near future, it's something I might be able to bring into play.

My question is can you give some specifics about what kinds of plants and seeds were used? What made them valuable? The only Earth analogue I can think of was the Dutch tulip bubble, but that isn't of much help. I'm sure "rare and pretty flower" would be valuable to elves, but a lot of the tulips' value came from the rampant speculation. The elven version seems much more stable.

Would you be able to give an example or two from various elven realms on the old 2e gem scale? (10 gp, 50 gp, 100 gp, 500 gp, 1000 gp, 5000 gp value) That would be their original value, of course, not the "priceless" version of modern survivors. I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and I'm kind of drawing a blank.

Thanks, as ever.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

31 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2019 :  02:17:15  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all, I was just reading the Questions to the almighty Ed from previous years and they triggered a question for Ed myself
In 2012's topic he mentions a beautiful piece of lore about the "Ghost Dragon" Araunthroun

Link here:http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15988&whichpage=38

This almost 3000 years old dragon, according to Ed, lived in the Fallen Lands and got help from some wizards to achieve immortality by draining magic from magic items ( So I'd say Shadow Weave wizards since it's a very much improved version of what a shadowslain undead creature can do). And then I noticed how also in the Fallen Lands lies Stormkeep , an huge tower accessible only through Portal or by flying...
Could it be the place where those wizards back then conceived such a ritual on the dragon...and...also the place where Araunthroun studies a way to gain back a tangible powerful body.

According to the forgotten wiki Stormkeep is often visited by dragons for healing ( that could have been always the same...as from what Ed says Araunthroun changes size when regaining form and its translucency might , from a distance fool on the scale colour during different moments of the day...or actually Araunthroun changing his shape in order to hide such a location as one of his lairs ( He was called Shapechanger after all). Also inside the Keep several vats holding limbs( human or not) in translucent oils with incredible healing powers...so it's clearly a lab of some sort...

Can Ed or THO tell me (if not stopped by NDA obviously) if my theories have at least a piece of truth or if I am totally wrong? Thanks in advance

Stormkeep link here : https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Stormkeep
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  10:13:58  Show Profile  Visit Asharak's Homepage Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

As suggested in another post, I have a question for you about the Old Grey Box :

Is there something more about Tuirlagh "Foehammer" Nundass than :

"he slain a strange and fearsome draconian beast, which resembled a winged serpent of ivory-yellow color, that made this region its home several hundred years ago"

or about the creature who give his name to the Yellow Snake Pass ?

Or the only thing known is that Tuirlagh came from Silverymonn ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.

Edited by - Asharak on 12 Aug 2019 10:14:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000