Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Forgotten Realms NPC Generator
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Delnyn
Learned Scribe

USA
316 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  19:45:31  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

As for the Moonstars, he has less frequency with them as he's not in Waterdeep for long periods and I do think that's their base of operations? He knows about the schism between the two and he has a bit better record with them and has - a few times when he's in the area - helped out a certain Kyriani Agriver, Moonstar agent.

Enticing, enraging, and otherwise making the racists extremely upset is something Ny'thandael sort of strives for. Like I said, he takes on ANY mission involving thwarting them, from simple raids on low-level grunts to high-profile missions. He really hates them that much.

Yes, the Moonstars are headquartered in Blackstaff Tower (surprise surprise). They have (or had) a secondary base in Twilight Tower courtesy Malchor Harpell.

Shall I accurately presume Ny'thandael has not encountered the Lalya Maurshanta in Cormyr, but would have a similar reaction if that changes? This sounds almost as sore, embarrassing topic among elves as the Crown Wars and the Descent of the Drow.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3936 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  02:47:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Yes, the Moonstars are headquartered in Blackstaff Tower (surprise surprise). They have (or had) a secondary base in Twilight Tower courtesy Malchor Harpell.

Shall I accurately presume Ny'thandael has not encountered the Lalya Maurshanta in Cormyr, but would have a similar reaction if that changes? This sounds almost as sore, embarrassing topic among elves as the Crown Wars and the Descent of the Drow.

He hasn't been to the Forest Kingdom much so no, their actions have been exceptionally low on Cormyr's radar so almost non existent to Ny'thandael.

4E Realms = Great Taste, Less Filling.

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3936 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2020 :  17:28:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, are there any requests for NPCs? I'm still on the fence in terms of making 5E ones that aren't just Player Characters with named tags. For example, Jarlaxle is a Challenge 15 with 19HD, Laeral Silverhand is a Challenge 17 with 24 HD. So I'm just not sure what the best way of going about that (I'm willing to try).

"If WotC were to put out a box of free money, people would still complain how it was folded."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9009 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  16:17:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, more so than NPCs for 5e, I'd love to see some rulesets for how to deal with characters who achieve beyond level 20. I'm interested in this less for making characters and more for an idea of how to make NPC's who are supposed to be beyond the player's power levels. Just wondering, since the question is kinda out there, has anyone seen any good rulesets for dealing with this on say DM's guild or from WotC? I know I saw some stuff early on at DM's Guild, but it kind looked like someone trying to adapt the 3e epic stuff to 5e, so it was a little cludgy. At one point, I was trying to develop some ideas here in some old threads, but my focus was specific to spellcasters and multi-class spellcasters who go beyond level 20, so I wasn't coming from a holistic view.

I guess in the end, I'd be more interested in the argument "give a man an NPC, occupy him for a day. Teach a man to develop his own balanced high level NPCs, occupy his spare time for a while".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3936 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  21:49:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as we look at NPCs listed in multiple supplements (Monster Manual, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist) we see them having more than 20 Hit Die, but this is most likely for additional Hit Points or a combination of multiple classes.

What 5e doesn't address is what happens when a PC hits 20th level in one class and then adds another. There's no higher progression of Proficiency Bonus, no extra feats or Ability score bonuses, etc. But maybe that was their intent, that once you hit that level of world-shaking abilities than you retire and start over with someone new?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
9009 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2020 :  22:02:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Well as we look at NPCs listed in multiple supplements (Monster Manual, Waterdeep: Dragon Heist) we see them having more than 20 Hit Die, but this is most likely for additional Hit Points or a combination of multiple classes.

What 5e doesn't address is what happens when a PC hits 20th level in one class and then adds another. There's no higher progression of Proficiency Bonus, no extra feats or Ability score bonuses, etc. But maybe that was their intent, that once you hit that level of world-shaking abilities than you retire and start over with someone new?

Yeah, and I guess I come from the world of "an NPC should be able to be designed like a PC". While I can buy the storyline of players may have limits, I've always liked the idea that in the realms there's always someone else that's more powerful. Even if the power rises were minimal, some kind of definition of them would be nice. Then again, maybe they've produced some article on such NPC design, because I can honestly say I haven't looked at their online dragon articles anytime recently. If anyone knows of anything like that, I'd find it an interesting read.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
3936 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2020 :  01:22:54  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NPCs, for me, should be made in a manner that's contextual to the story they're in and what's trying to be conveyed. Unfortunately, for systems like 3.5 - in which NPCs are build like PCs - they're beholden to a lot of limitations that hinder quite a few elements to their story.

For example, a low-level group (we'll say 3rd lvl) is tasked with taking down an orc Warlord. If I want to make this creature a difficult task in 3.5 I have to give him an exceptionally high amount of hit die along with the corresponding Feats and skills to be able to withstand the disparity of the action economy. Not to mention figure out ways to lessen the possibility of the casters simply one shot/hit or disable him. This is significantly less of an issue when making NPCs or monsters in 4E and 5E where the intended challenge of the creature determines the hit points, Defenses, abilities, etc.

The same scenario in 4e, I make the orc warlord is an Elite Soldier or Brute with some allies to help him. In 5E, maybe he has some defensive features or maxed out HP and extra attack.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000