Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Brainstorming Anchorome
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  04:52:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I looked at the Interactive Atlas... If the islands to the west of Evermeet have names, I couldn't find them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  07:27:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

Looking at the map

The series of lakes in the north west corner would be pitch perfect for a cahokia mound type settlement.

https://cahokiamounds.org/explore/

Not sure if we're allowed to add/remove land mass, but I'd love some islands on the west coast somewhere called the Blackfish islands, that are Darfellan territory (because I'm a sucker for orca folk).

There should be trading routes, not unlike the 3e forgotten realms trade maps. From my own training, you'd be surprised how certain materials travel.

I'd love to do something like white buffalo (aka a herd animal with innate magical abilities that basically acts as a gatekeeper and are essentially tempermental. Even elves have to watch their step around these grumps).

What is the overall tech levels?

I threw on a lot more small islands on both coasts (but more on the east coast side since that's where we've been told there's a definite lot of them).

On the Cahokia Mounds, I wouldn't want to go too far north, as I know that's approaching into portions of what may be aarakocra lands, and I'm not sure yet what Seethyr's looking to do there. HOWEVER, in looking at what you give as a link, that area just directly northwest of the land of the insect men would seem perfect for a river culture like that (the area with like 3 rivers, a bunch of hills, and a nearby canyon that empties into one of the rivers. They could even interact with the Abeil that are nearby.

He's actually got something with the White Buffalo tribe, but no details on the white buffalo themselves. He's also got the White Buffalo listed up as one of the Great Spirits that helped the Minnenewah against the Aarakocra.

One of the things I did leave off is that in the Pasocada Basin area itself there are roads between the cities of the canyons. The other areas tend to be less "congealed" and probably more primitive, so I'd be surprised to find roads, but more use of natural things like rivers.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 10 Sep 2019 07:44:28
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  14:20:37  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are we using 3e templating to fill in an area?

If so here's a quickie version for those that want it.

<Name of location>
Population:
Government:
Religion:
Main Import:
Main Exports:
Alignment:

Overview:

Life and Society:

Major Geographical History:

Important Sites:

Regional History:

Plots and Rumors:

Also which gods are in anarchrome? I usually just reskin realms gods, but I think it was said that elven gods play a prominant role as well as animal spirits, but just confirming.

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Edited by - shades of eternity on 10 Sep 2019 14:23:12
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  17:03:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this thread had a bunch of the islands I was thinking of.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12133

Some are shown here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/images/sitegfx/mt_evermeet.jpg

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  19:11:41  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a key passage from Power of Faerun, page 120, which builds off similar material in the Draconomicon (2e).

"Imvaernarhro is seldom seen by those in surrounding lands because he controls a portal—possibly of Netherese origin—that linked its cavern (in a small and nameless side-peak of the Star Mounts) with a wilderland continent on the far face of Faerun where vast wild herds of beasts graze plains where no humanoid hunts, and where Inferno can sport and feed at will."

--Eric

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 10 Sep 2019 19:12:14
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  21:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Here's a key passage from Power of Faerun, page 120, which builds off similar material in the Draconomicon (2e).

"Imvaernarhro is seldom seen by those in surrounding lands because he controls a portal—possibly of Netherese origin—that linked its cavern (in a small and nameless side-peak of the Star Mounts) with a wilderland continent on the far face of Faerun where vast wild herds of beasts graze plains where no humanoid hunts, and where Inferno can sport and feed at will."

--Eric

Wow, this is really some definitive proof that dragons have a significant presence in Anchorome imo. I have to change a lot of what I thought about the place.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  00:48:38  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I looked at the Interactive Atlas... If the islands to the west of Evermeet have names, I couldn't find them.

I found it too. I think the largest of the Green Sisters (north of the Twin Visages and Helmsport) might be appropriate for the mercury dragon island.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  01:51:35  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
k I'm going to ask the tough questions.

What is the elevator speech for Anchorome?

What are it's overall themes that make it a place that adventurers want to cross the trackless sea?

How do you play a local and give it its own color and make it equally as viable?

and more importantly.

How do you play a Kercpa as a pc? :D

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  03:08:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dragon 214 has a good write-up of them. Not as PCs, but it's a good bit of info.

And Ed spoke on the topic of kercpa in the Realms:

quote:
Their numbers have fallen sharply in the Realms due to concerted attacks by fey races and goblins, but they can still be found in large numbers (no one knows exactly how many due to their secretive and active nature, and the cover provided by their forest homes) in the eastern High forest, the Lluirwood, and the Forest of Amtar, and in smaller numbers in Shilmista, the eastern Chondalwood, and The Great Wild Wood. They've also been seen in Laerakond. Notable individuals: a far-traveled adventurer, Rilstajar "the Rapier;" a legendary prankster heroine who's probably long dead and whose exploits are embellished with many new tall tales named Lyracheelie "the Leaf;" and a tireless explorer and trader, Suldarn of the Many Acorns (a "joke title" given in derision he liked, embraced, and now bears proudly). The kercpa increasingly keep to themselves, fearful of diseases brought by humans and of being wiped out by their many foes, but are otherwise of merry nature, hedonists who live in the present, knowing life is fleeting

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

k I'm going to ask the tough questions.

What is the elevator speech for Anchorome?

I don't have the copy in front of me, but I believe according to FMQ1, Azuposi have their own tongue (Azuposi). However, that just covers the Pasocada Basin. As far as the rest of Anchorome, I don't believe there is any information. I will talk about my fanon work, but note that it's only that (same thing ties into your next questions).

There are a people called the minnenewah who are very similar to humans but were brought on the back of the Thunderbird (a Great Spirit) to Anchorome's plains. The One people split and spread out and the languages and cultures began to diverge leading to a number of "tribal subraces." Each has their own tongue after thousands of years, but there is also a trade tongue named after the race itself.

quote:

What are it's overall themes that make it a place that adventurers want to cross the trackless sea?

How do you play a local and give it its own color and make it equally as viable?

Perhaps my biggest issue with the entire Maztica setting was exactly what I think you are getting into. I do not think the mystic, martial or spiritual abilities of the folk of Anchorome should be inferior in any way to those on mainland Faerun. If it were so, with all the travel options thousands of years of wizardly types have, I think Anchorome would've been a vassal state of some eastern nation long ago.

So, there are magic and wonders that are different, but equally wondrous as there are in Faerun. My overall impression of Anchorome is a continent that generically has a pre-colonial Indigenous American flavor, but also (and this part is canon) has remnants of both the batrachi and aearee empires to discover in ruins nearly as old as those of the sarrukh.

Playing a local character could be a lot of fun. Almost every class should be represented and there are plenty of good options on Dmsguild for shaman-like classes that you might consider for flavor.

quote:

and more importantly.

I did a quick search in Dmsguild for a viable kercpa race option and came up with nothing. That is definitely something I would spend a little cheddar on if I found it.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  22:48:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, just reread the ecology of the kercpa (well skimmed it), and noted that their god is an unnamed tree god (which works with the relkath idea I mentioned), but it says they use "fables" of Rititisk the Clever to guide them in everyday like. So, I was using "Ratoska" for Ratatosk… but Rititisk works too. May just use that name.

Oh, and on playing one as a PC... I know, the more I write, the more the idea is infusing me. But mainly, I think we need to get ideas set for "where" and "what" is in Anchorome, and I really think these guys fit (and I'm especially liking the idea of these being "flying squirrels" rather than the standard kercpa). I want to do a similar thing down in Katashaka with small mouse people, though the two cultures will be different (i.e. the Kercpa are more "savage", whereas the mouse people more domestic).

Hmmm, and just to get some ideas from others.... the kercpa use bows... but can you picture them using any kind of weapon specific to their race? I know I've been throwing out the idea of them riding "dire hummingbirds".... does this have any options that people might see? For some reason, I'm picturing them using rope and tying people up... kind of like the snowspeeders wrapping the legs of the AT-AT's in empire strikes back. Its a kinda goofy idea, but its stuck in there.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Sep 2019 03:09:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  22:52:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are we using 3e templating to fill in an area?

If so here's a quickie version for those that want it.

<Name of location>
Population:
Government:
Religion:
Main Import:
Main Exports:
Alignment:

Overview:

Life and Society:

Major Geographical History:

Important Sites:

Regional History:

Plots and Rumors:

Also which gods are in anarchrome? I usually just reskin realms gods, but I think it was said that elven gods play a prominant role as well as animal spirits, but just confirming.

Regarding "gods", there's the listed animal spirits from City of Gold. Seethyr's also including some extras. I've also got the metahel introducing their own pantheon that is a variant of Norse with some hints of "this may be X from Faerun in reality". The snow elves have the snow elven god Tarsellis Meuninndun (spelling?). Then, I'm using the metahel deities with some of the other beings as well (such as the bear folk).

That being said... get the anchorome guide that Seethyr wrote up on DM's Guild, as it has a full 10 pages on deities.

Here's the link to the individual product
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280341/ANC1-The-Anchorome-Campaign-Guide?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

However, if you haven't picked up the other stuff Seethyr's done for Maztica, check out the Maztica alive bundle, which has a LOT of titles. For $13.99 to get a the maztica, lopango, AND anchorome campaign guides is amazing (not to mention adventures, spell books, etc...)

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/280958/Maztica-Alive-BUNDLE?filters=45469_0_0_0_0_0_0_0

I've appreciated his stuff, and I'm still reading through it myself, and that's where looking at a map and reading sections started "putting it together" for me.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Sep 2019 10:00:58
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  02:30:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think this thread had a bunch of the islands I was thinking of.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12133

Some are shown here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/images/sitegfx/mt_evermeet.jpg

--Eric

So, from those, it looks like 2 islands that might be some distance from Evermeet (or might be near it), and two that are near Evermeet. Just to put the gathered notes from that, here's what it roughly said below.

Sifahir's Isle - (elven prison, evil elven mage who was an advisor to Queen Amlaruil apparently, known for creating a self-aware illusion that broke away from his control). Note: I have no idea where this info is from, but wouldn't it be interesting if he were making out with an illusion of a princess of Evermeet and it "went awry" because it became self-aware when he tried to make it TOO real or something.

Tilrith (the small island off the north coast is called Tilrith (named at the very bottom of pg. 422 of E:IoE, and described at the top of the next page). That, coupled with the little bit in PoD suggests that there is a chain of islands along the north coast - most barely more then rocks jutting from the water - of which Tilrith is probably the largest. )

OK, these two are relatively near Evermeet, not westward of it.

Belintholme is called "The Guardian Isle of Belintholme" by a sea elf named Palentor in the 2nd book of the Druidhome Triloy. Balintholme lies south of the island of Evermeet, perhaps less than 100 miles off the coast

Araska - Araksa lies perhaps 200 miles east from Taltempla off Evermeet's coast.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  02:34:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

Where no humanoid hunts.... that's an interesting piece of this... so somewhere where there ISN'T humanoids. I'd say that this could fit the Kaaya'yeeda entry that Seethyr was setting up, which is an area of giant animals. The nearby tribes stay out of the area as a result (or at least they do so for the most part).

Also, a portal IN THE STAR MOUNTS that links to this place.... so the place where the aarakocra are linking to some plains full of animals. Sounds like an Aearee portal to me, not a netherese one.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Sep 2019 02:38:53
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  02:40:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I found it too. I think the largest of the Green Sisters (north of the Twin Visages and Helmsport) might be appropriate for the mercury dragon island.

--Eric

Just to note, I think the green sisters are where Cordell landed first in the novels. I think they saw a Hakuna there (dragonne). All from memory mind you, which is known to be faulty.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  10:24:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SO... Fitting Metahel Myth... Realmslore of the Aearee and dragons... and lore of these infectiously interesting Kercpa.

It occurs to me that Metahel (and norse) Lore speaks of a great primordial squirrel named Ratatosk… which corresponds to Rititisk the Clever tales in Kercpa…. and oddly, the stories of Ratatosk has him running to the top and bottom of the "world tree" exchanging insults between "the eagle" at the top and the "dragon chewing on its roots" at the bottom.

So.... The Eagle …. and the Dragon.... This is just screaming "there's something we can use here with the Aearee".... but I'm not sure how exactly. The "eagle" might be the great spirit of Thunderbird? The dragon has been hinted at in the original entry of Dendar the Night Serpent that the "Rus" believe it to be Nidhogg. So, Dendarr is associated with nightmares and is trapped. I guess Thunderbird is seen in "vision quests" …. so kind of like waking dreams. What's the squirrel's "REAL" involvement, if we wanted to create such?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  12:44:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if it is of any use to you, but I used to relate the Thunderbird to Remnis, the patron deity of the Giant Eagles.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  14:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Don't know if it is of any use to you, but I used to relate the Thunderbird to Remnis, the patron deity of the Giant Eagles.

Absolutely headed this way. There is also a creature from Native American myth known as the Wuchowsen which I have written up in the Anchorome Monster book. I've pinned her as a child of Remnis. Now you have me thinking about who the father/mother is...

http://www.native-languages.org/wuchowsen.htm

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Edited by - Seethyr on 12 Sep 2019 14:02:13
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  14:05:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ty kindly, I'll read these and get up to speed. :)

Looking at the Anarchrome map, there are two rivers that are relatively close to each other (River seesena and the one near Ne'eshjaa).

I'm kinda surprised there isn't some sort of trading post where they get close, as the rivers would be an awesome replacement for roads and allow for serious reach across the continent.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  15:44:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, in looking back at the map idea and where I was putting the races, and what interactions they might have.... the place where I was thinking to put the Kercpa, dryads, treants, hybsil, and Shatjan…. it looks like a forest with a little lonely mountain. Kind of boring, and I really like these guys... SO

How about we take out some of that forest. We throw in another smaller mountain range, with a lake at the bottom (Lake Rititisk, named after Rititisk the clever.... who you know what, maybe should be a great spirit that is rumored to live somewhere hidden in those mountains, next to a tree which is said to be a "living portal" that one can enter somehow). So, then I want all these dire hummingbirds as well, so let's put another one of these great flowering areas, but this one is NOT controlled by the Abeil bee people... but they want to. This creates conflict between the bee people (what want to be very organized and harvesting the forest) and the "wild nature" folk that are living there. Neither side is evil, but they have very differing viewpoints of how things should be allowed to grow and be cultivated. Call this northern area "the Forest of Blooming Nectar", but the natives may refer to it as Algoma valley. Picturewise, I'll swap out some of that section of forest and put in some blue, yellow, pink, red, etc... trees from other symbol groups. Perhaps even these plants are a transplant from Abeir OR maybe the area is where one might find the great spirit of the Germinator living.

I know it looks a little disconcerting with the colors, but I think it helps differentiate the different forests easily. Picture worth a thousand words.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z6pySmW4Hyh18m2Q04-mbfpOdYSTg7xT/view?usp=sharing

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Sep 2019 17:14:58
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  17:08:33  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to summarize this thread at some point with all of the excellent ideas bullet pointed. Some really great stuff here that needs to be expanded on. I guess that's what brainstorming is for.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  17:32:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ty kindly, I'll read these and get up to speed. :)

Looking at the Anarchrome map, there are two rivers that are relatively close to each other (River seesena and the one near Ne'eshjaa).

I'm kinda surprised there isn't some sort of trading post where they get close, as the rivers would be an awesome replacement for roads and allow for serious reach across the continent.

That's an interesting idea. One thing to bear in mind in looking at those two points is its near the Kaaya'yeeda, which is supposed to be something like "the land of huge beasts", so its not exactly safe territory. Still, there is the idea of skirting that. Not sure how much the various groups are able to interact though due to factional strife. Its not as civilized as Faerun.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  20:11:21  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True but a couple of things.

1. The Forgotten Realm's equivalent of the Hudson's Bay company would definitely see the same thing, especially if they can find profit (Amn I'm looking at you).

2. Trade in North America had pretty extensive trade pre-contact. Even people with no contact with each other would shuffle stuff down the line even if it was at a case by case basis. Kind of like the Silk road that connected Asia to Europe.

here's some examples of note

http://mapmanusa.com/cci-print-3.html

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/95/62/5b/95625b3b0bc8dd1e2dc8b762e63503e1.jpg
https://nicholaswardogima.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/furtradingroutes.png

https://www.academia.edu/4998969/Trade_Routes_in_the_Americas_Before_Columbus

Not saying it has to be as extensive and there will be road blocks because of monsters/rival civilizations/bizarre weather, but things will move over time.

bringing up one of my favorite locations in the real world and seeing if it has a place in Anachrome

https://www.livescience.com/14714-lightning-prone-states-110620.html

What does a land look like when lightning is pretty much continuous? :)

Some parts in the south west are notorious for intense lightning activity and what would it look like if a continuous feature?

Edited by - shades of eternity on 13 Sep 2019 02:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  00:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

bringing up one of my favorite locations in the real world and seeing if it has a place in Anachrome

https://www.livescience.com/14714-lightning-prone-states-110620.html

What does a land look like when lightning is pretty much continuous? :)

Some parts in the south west are notorious for intense lightning activity and what would it look like if a continuous feature?

This very much reminds me of "Mount Dodaliv," a location where the actual physical presence of the Thunderbird can be found. Its almost unapproachable simply because of the incessant lightning strikes, but the Great Spirit will pass wisdom on to those who climb to its aerie (or it might just eat you).

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  02:47:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I guess supply and demand will override hatred and mistrust in certain situations. I can definitely see the people of Fort Flame possibly trading with the Minnenewah for basics like meat, crops, etc... if they can get up the waterfall relatively easily. Which makes me think that that waterfall of the Equuoni Geyvi might have some carved steps in its walls or something. Granted, the Equuoni Geyvi has other issues as well that would cause problems with traders from Fort Flame, in the form of river spirits who would assault them. It would actually seem more likely that the Minnenewah use the river to reach Fort Flame rather than the other way around, since the spirits won't like the men from the west.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  03:27:18  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading through the Anchorome material.

I really like the idea of the Algathi being a prominent role in the north west of the continent, as well as a means of creating analogues for other "shaggy men" in other areas (ex. skunk ape). :)

Another great idea of myth is that of the Cannibal Birds

https://umistapotlatch.ca/visite_virtuelle-virtual_tour-eng.php#1/0/80.01.029/aide-help

essentially giant man eating birds that perch and whose spirits are often commandered by shamans.
https://religion.wikia.org/wiki/Kwakwaka%27wakw_mythology

The great forests of the north west are often known for their slugs, so how about a thriving giant slug/flail snail population to make things kinda squeamish. :D

seeing if there are any Anchorome local species of note?

I definitely want a thriving hag population as well based on the myths of the area.

One of the things that is common across northern canada was something called the fire cycle.

https://globalforestatlas.yale.edu/boreal-forest/boreal-ecoregions-ecology/fire-boreal

What if something similar occurs but is more elemental/primorial in nature and acts as a germination for strange creatures touched by the elemental plane of fire?

If so what areas would be affected? (primarily taigia)

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  04:45:30  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another great idea of myth is that of the Cannibal Birds

https://umistapotlatch.ca/visite_virtuelle-virtual_tour-eng.php#1/0/80.01.029/aide-help

Connection fails (host does something really weird with https). Anyway...
quote:
essentially giant man eating birds that perch and whose spirits are often commandered by shamans.
https://religion.wikia.org/wiki/Kwakwaka%27wakw_mythology

...the question is why they are "Cannibal" birds? They eat other Cannibal Birds?
Also, with the existing man-eating avians like Perytons and Elephant Birds (Al-Qadim), adding one more monster with the same basic description looks like yet another redundant clone. What they can add that a tweak on an existing monster couldn't?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  11:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One great related myth was the "piasa bird." Apparently Europeans observed some rock paintings of a creature known as the water panther (mishipeshu) and completely misunderstood the drawings thinking them to be a man-eating bird. One of the explorers wrote an early horror story about this "piasa bird" that scared the crap out of other explorers.

That's a very cool origin story imo and worth a reskinned monster. Faerunians might see a native painting and think there were perytons in nearby hills. The local spirits, seeing a way to deter further plundering might give life to such nightmares. With rumors of "cannibals" already freaking out the Amnians or Baldur or whomever (remember, creatures like the wendigo came about because of cannibalism), now we have a "cannibal bird" to look out for.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  11:56:15  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cannibal birds are man eating birds (more like sentient eating birds in this setting)

okay let's revise it so it uses more pre-built critters.

There is this Coven of Hags that have a small house on the back of a Roc (giving them a range to land anywhere in Anchorome).

They are accompanied by a flock of Peryton that they send out to gather supplies and bring meat.

Rumor has it that they return to an Evergreen tree large enough for a Roc to make it's nests. It is infested with Giant Slugs and Snail Flails.

Algathi are wary of dealing with the hags as more then one of them made a deal with them and became a wendigo in the process?

How's that?

quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

One great related myth was the "piasa bird." Apparently Europeans observed some rock paintings of a creature known as the water panther (mishipeshu) and completely misunderstood the drawings thinking them to be a man-eating bird. One of the explorers wrote an early horror story about this "piasa bird" that scared the crap out of other explorers.

That's a very cool origin story imo and worth a reskinned monster. Faerunians might see a native painting and think there were perytons in nearby hills. The local spirits, seeing a way to deter further plundering might give life to such nightmares. With rumors of "cannibals" already freaking out the Amnians or Baldur or whomever (remember, creatures like the wendigo came about because of cannibalism), now we have a "cannibal bird" to look out for.

Sorry didn't respond to this.

I really like it. :)

Edited by - shades of eternity on 13 Sep 2019 16:30:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2019 :  14:05:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cannibal birds are man eating birds (more like sentient eating birds in this setting)

okay let's revise it so it uses more pre-built critters.

There is this Coven of Hags that have a small house on the back of a Roc (giving them a range to land anywhere in Anchorome).

They are accompanied by a flock of Peryton that they send out to gather supplies and bring meat.

Rumor has it that they return to an Evergreen tree large enough for a Roc to make it's nests. It is infested with Giant Slugs and Snail Flails.

Algathi are wary of dealing with the hags as more then one of them made a deal with them and became a wendigo in the process?

How's that?

Hags with a roc don't bother me, but a roc with a house on its back does bother me.

Me, I'd put the hags on an island someplace and give them some sort of corrupted or fiendish roc as their transportation.

Or you could put them on some sort of mobile earthmote.

Or... Maybe a Halruaan elder once came here, in his skyship, and they slew him and stole it, or otherwise got him under their control.

Or on a similar track, maybe go for a variation on one of Eber-whatsit's skyships. The hags grabbed a boat somewhere, and bound some sort of planar entity to it, and now it's a flying ship. As hags, the planar entity could be a fiend instead of an elemental -- or it could be some sort of celestial.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000