Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow Pronunciation
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  22:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That link won't load.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  22:27:37  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say is it works for me. Elaine Cunningham (or someone claiming to be her) wrote that Salvatore says bah-ENN-ray (which is not what I thought either).

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 11 Jun 2003 22:12:37
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  01:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's definitely Elaine. The as and es are all separate short vowels, so 'bah-EN-reh'.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  12:53:23  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just to say that if u take a dictionary and look for celtic, u will find this word comes from French and not Gaelic. Francs used to name Gaelic people celtics. Thats it. Don't say that gaelic comes from French, not at all. And since francs spoke a mix between their own langage, which comes from asia after 5 centuries of travel, and latin.
So Scottish use to say keltic people, yes, because they named them the kelters, which meant wearer of kilts, that Francs changed as Celts... or if u are more interested, just ask me.

and i say ba-en-ré in French even if its probably not the right way , is it like bah-en-reh for u or what?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  13:35:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I would have pronounced it - BAY-EN-RAY, although the proper pronunciation stated by Faraer, as 'bah-EN-reh' definitely matches more to how I actually thought it would be pronounced.

Besides on the post from the link Faraer supplied, Elaine Cunningham also basically stated that "All vowels short, accent on second syllable".

Makes sense to me .

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  16:04:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh well. I still like bane-REE, and I've been using that one for years. However, if I were the author, I'd want people to pronounce it the 'right' way, so I guess I could switch.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  22:17:34  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faraer:
quote:
It's definitely Elaine. The as and es are all separate short vowels, so 'bah-EN-reh'.

Actually, it's nothing to me one way or the other. If I meet someone on the 'net claiming to be such-and-such famous person, I'll take them at their word. If they're telling the truth, it's the polite thing to do (obviously, I guess ). If they're not telling the truth, it doesn't really affect me in any way. I'm never going to meet them. So, I don't know why I said "or someone claiming to be her". I violated my own credo (ouch).

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 11 Jun 2003 22:18:31
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  10:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Normally I would have pronounced it - BAY-EN-RAY, although the proper pronunciation stated by Faraer, as 'bah-EN-reh' definitely matches more to how I actually thought it would be pronounced.

Besides on the post from the link Faraer supplied, Elaine Cunningham also basically stated that "All vowels short, accent on second syllable".

Makes sense to me .

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Love the post. Took me a while to google it.

On topic (I apologize for resurrecting such an old topic) - does anyone know how to pronounce names from Baldur's Gate series?

Speaking of <ae>, why in drow it is (apparently) pronounced /aheh/, while in all other FR materials it's pronounced /ey/, as in /feyrun/...
Who came up with the FR pronunciation of <ae> as /ey/?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  12:26:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, whereas Baenre is Bob's name; and I wouldn't extend its pronunciation to drow in general. I think that's all there is to it.

Which Baldur's Gate names do you have in mind?
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  18:48:09  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least Jordan has a pronunciation guide at the back of each book.

Aoth is the latest name I've been wondering how to pronounce.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  19:00:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

Aoth is the latest name I've been wondering how to pronounce.

-I'd say it 'Ay-oth'.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 02 Mar 2012 19:00:47
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  19:08:30  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half the time my mind says Ay-oth, the other half it skips the A and says it Oth.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  21:05:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Submitted for your collective education- Baenre is actually (according to the "By Any Other Name: the Drow" name generator article in Dragon # 267, I believe it was) pronounced BANE-REH: "eh" like in pesto) and the article has a pronunciation guide, if memory serves. It also translates the meanings of both prefix and suffix name parts. There was also one in the 3.5 Drow of the Underdark book, with some of the same name parts, but with different meanings, and a small section on drow language. E is pronounced EE if there is an A or I before or after (as in Eilistraee, pronounced EEListrayEE) and EH if it is alone. I've done quite a bit of study into drow linguistics for some of my own tales, and for anyone interested in a full treatment, the drow translator on www.eilistraee.com has a complete dictionary/translator, with a pronunciation guied and grammar aid as well. One can soon be speaking fluent drow, with proper pronunciation with this little handy tool! (I occasionally curse at annoying customers in appropriately "colorful" drowish phrases, though always under my breath, of course....)

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  15:34:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Submitted for your collective education- Baenre is actually (according to the "By Any Other Name: the Drow" name generator article in Dragon # 267, I believe it was) pronounced BANE-REH: "eh" like in pesto) and the article has a pronunciation guide, if memory serves. It also translates the meanings of both prefix and suffix name parts. There was also one in the 3.5 Drow of the Underdark book, with some of the same name parts, but with different meanings, and a small section on drow language. E is pronounced EE if there is an A or I before or after (as in Eilistraee, pronounced EEListrayEE) and EH if it is alone. I've done quite a bit of study into drow linguistics for some of my own tales, and for anyone interested in a full treatment, the drow translator on www.eilistraee.com has a complete dictionary/translator, with a pronunciation guied and grammar aid as well. One can soon be speaking fluent drow, with proper pronunciation with this little handy tool! (I occasionally curse at annoying customers in appropriately "colorful" drowish phrases, though always under my breath, of course....)

There is a pronunciation guide at www.eilistraee.com? I never noticed. Point me, please... as for the rest, I've been using the Chosen of Eilistraee dictionary for a long time.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000