Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do you roleplay gnomes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2017 :  23:53:15  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more like wooly in the fact that I never really noticed them. But since I started DMing, I realized that they add a distinct flavor and they DO have a niche, somewhere between dwarves and halflings. Sounds like there is a need for more gnome lore. I would like to expand on what I've already written and do some write ups on some small gnome communities, with various cultural aspects. I still am a bit confused about the difference between "rock" and "forest" gnomes. Feels a bit like the whole "hill" vs "mountian' dwarves from Dragonlance.
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  18:40:53  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think much would be solved with a famous gnome hero the D&D players read about in books, or know from some source, PC game or whatever. As it is, the most famous D&D gnome I can think of is Scanlan Shorthalt, from the Critical Role D&D show on geek and sundry, probably most famous for being a immature, funny bard, and his cry-trough-his-poo potion.
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  19:56:55  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's an MMORPG in development right now called Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. It's an intentional throwback and spiritual successor to the original Everquest and games of that era. I'm guessing nobody here has heard of it, mainly because: A) it's still in pre-alpha, and B) it is not going to be a AAA title, but rather a niche game for a very specific type of gamer.

Anyway, before I start to sound like a product shill, they have one of the most unique and interesting takes on gnomes I've seen. Their gnomes are insatiable arcanists, diving so deeply into a particular power source (The Elos Star - their version of the Weave, I suppose) they actually give up their corporeal bodies and become pure energy. In game they all wear masks and armour made of a material that they bond to, allowing them to have a physical form in which to manipulate the world around them. Here's a pic and writeup:

http://pantheonmmo.com/races/gnomes/

They're still obsessed with magic, as well as being heavy industrialists. They are the most enigmatic and least understood of the playable races, spending most of their time holed up in a floating rock city - like unfathomable little bees in a suspended hive.

Edited by - VikingLegion on 07 Mar 2017 19:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  20:00:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been some gnomes scattered around in FR novels -- I think one of the Harpers novels had a flock of them, and I know one of Elaine's books had a gnome minor character.

But they've never really being in the forefront... In fact, one of the things I recall from the old AD&D comic was when they did the "Everyone wants to rule the Realms" issue -- they didn't have any gnome characters to use in their slideshow, and showed a generic gnome, instead. Since all the other slides were of characters from the comics, and showed them hanging out in Earth clothes (and Kyri in a bikini!), that one really stood out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2017 :  20:24:09  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There have been some gnomes scattered around in FR novels -- I think one of the Harpers novels had a flock of them, and I know one of Elaine's books had a gnome minor character.

Yeah, Soldiers of Ice had a very well-written gnomish community way out in the remote cold lands, I think it was set in Vaasa, but would have to double check. They were all about hiding in their warren, being distrustful of strangers, basically everything Cards mentioned in the OP. David Cook did a really good job bringing their culture to life, might be worth the read if your going to continue utilizing this little gnomish community.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  02:07:15  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

I think much would be solved with a famous gnome hero the D&D players read about in books, or know from some source, PC game or whatever. As it is, the most famous D&D gnome I can think of is Scanlan Shorthalt, from the Critical Role D&D show on geek and sundry, probably most famous for being a immature, funny bard, and his cry-trough-his-poo potion.

Belwar Dissengulp I thought was the most famous gnome.

Or possibly Nanfoodle. He's my favorite!

Edited by - Cards77 on 08 Mar 2017 02:10:44
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  02:10:12  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

Yeah, Soldiers of Ice had a very well-written gnomish community way out in the remote cold lands, I think it was set in Vaasa, but would have to double check. They were all about hiding in their warren, being distrustful of strangers, basically everything Cards mentioned in the OP. David Cook did a really good job bringing their culture to life, might be worth the read if your going to continue utilizing this little gnomish community.

Interesting that you mention that. I haven't read that book but my wife just read it. She is one of the players and she said I played the gnomes almost exactly the way they were portrayed in that novel

I don't know if I'm happy or if I lacked originaality without even knowing it. lol

The players thought it was good so that's all that matters.

It felt different from any other racial encounter we have had.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  03:22:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other gnomish tales:-

"Speaking with the Dead" -- originally printed in Realms of Mystery and included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

And "Stolen Dreams" as well -- originally printed in DRAGON #259 and also included in The Best of Elaine Cunningham.

Stevcen Schend included one of my favourite Realms gnome characters [a gnome priest of Baravar Cloakshadow] in his novel Blackstaff Tower.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2017 :  23:08:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall some 'gnomish stuff' in a Waterdeep novel. It may have been the one Elaine and Ed wrote, but it may have also been a more recent one, like Mistshore.

It had to do with 'The Warrens' which is where the 'wee folk' (Gnomes, halflings, and perhaps others) hide away from the 'big folk', and can 'be themselves' (which apparently is much more pragmatic and somber then the 'act' they put on for humans and others). The only thing I recall from the story was that the small folk didn't like anyone 'big'coming to the Warrens for that reason; they work very hard at maintaining an appearance of smiling, happy-go-lucky, harmless folk... and nothing could be further from the truth. At least, thats the vibe I got.

Ed's article in issue #269 of Dragon Magazine - The Hin Nobody Knows - also covered gnomes, and some of their settlements, and also some of the not-so-nice behavior those settlements are known for ('hiding stolen goods' seems to be a gnomish pastime in several places in The Realms - I guess when the owners never come back, it makes it all the sweeter). They also fence goods, and do other things 'against the local law' within human kingdoms, because it seems they often fall beneath the notice of the authorities, who never bother to look in the direction of their smiling faces.

They're the types to 'sell weapons to both sides' in a conflict, and do so inconspicuously. It makes me think there should be some sort of gnomish 'black ops', just in-case their more covert activities are found-out (like someone they've been fencing goods for gets caught by the authorities, and the next day the guy is found dead with his throat slashed, still in his cell - that sort of stuff).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Mar 2017 23:09:08
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2017 :  14:05:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

I want to say you're right in that it was the bloodstone lands definitely (I think Vaasa too, but may have been Damara on a slim chance).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2017 :  10:27:57  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to above posters that suggested the Soldiers on Ice book. It seems from (Amazon) book reviews that it does have a very good section detailing a gnomish clan. I'm placing an order for this tonight!

I ran a unique informal all-Gnomish guild in the original Everquest (over a decade ago)….. we were the Dread Gnome Pirates, the DGP. Mostly a group of fun-loving adventurers and pranksters. Since most of us gnomes were (high-INTEL) spellcasters, we knew we'd never become a high-end raiding guild (you need a small army of fighters and clerics and tanks for that). EQ gnome lore was vaguely based on original AD&D and Dragonlance material, which means we were in the role of industrial tinkering spellcasters. Tinkering was one of the "crafting skills" on the original Everquest MMORPG that any character race could learn, although the gnomes had a small headstart if I recall.

I also wrote, way back then, the original lore of Tinkerfest, the Gnomish high holiday which occurs once every 4 years. Thanks to me befriending a couple of the Sony (Sony Online Entertainment) devs, who also played the game obsessively, Tinkerfest eventually became an official in-game "event" that would happen annually on the Everquest servers. In these special events, there would be festival type games, contests, and many prizes awarded (including in-game magic items!).

I'd love to post the Story of Tinkerfest here if I have time to dig it up. It's a very gnomish story. The holiday of Tinkerfest commemorates the struggle and story of the original "Tinker Princess"…. in an ancient gnomish kingdom (Everquest vaguely had gnomish subterranean kingdoms). It also involves a dragon, as well as a clockwork dragon!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000