Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is this "new" Durnan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Balmar Foghaven
Learned Scribe

Canada
124 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2018 :  18:24:21  Show Profile Send Balmar Foghaven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally always liked the idea of Durnan having some sort of agreement with Halaster ever since he emerged from Undermountain with his riches. Something along the lines of allowing adventurers to enter into Undermountain to brave its depths at their Peril - which Halaster clearly wanted to satsify his own
mad agendas - in return for Halaster keeping a tight rein on his creatures and/or preventing incursions into the city from the Underdark. Considering Durnan's tavern makes most of its profit from adventurers seeking to go dungeon-delving, it's a win-win scenario. It also would have made Halaster a necessary evil, since his presence would actually benefit the city's safety.

"Despair not, for in the end all things shall work out for the best - in at least one timeline."
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2018 :  22:10:15  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possible Balmar, also with Durnan as a secret Lord of Waterdeep and leader of the vigilante Red Sashes, this would have made protecting the city easier.
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  20:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little late to this thread, I didn't bother with Tales of the Yawning Portal since it didn't really have any realms adventures. But Dragon Heist has an entry for Durnan, lists him as True Neutral now.

I was looking for images of Durnan when I stumbled on this thread. I always imagined him looking something like this but seems 5E has chosen to depict him like this, very hipster if you ask me. The only 2E images I could find were in the Heroes' Lorebook, not a big fan of either his or Mirt's picture there.

Anyway something interesting in Dragon Heist is he has a greatsword named Grimvault, from the stats sounds like vorpal?, maybe this has something to do with his change in alignment? Also I haven't seen any mention of the Red Sashes in 5E which Durnan used to run.

P.S. If anyone knows where I can find some good pictures of Durnan or Mirt that would be great, I could swear some 2E source had a full page amazing picture of Mirt.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Edited by - Gelcur on 25 Sep 2018 20:50:19
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2018 :  22:29:50  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's quite possible the Red Sashes disbanded when Durnan disappeared for 100 years. Also possible, despite statements to the contrary, that this returned Durnan is not in fact Durnan, but a member of the Unseen or a Malaugrym or something else entirely, perhaps even an avatar of Tymora or Tyche. Who knows.
Go to Top of Page

Fineva
Seeker

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2018 :  05:31:25  Show Profile Send Fineva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait...Khelben return?

I" am Sathia of Orogoth
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  13:55:11  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben is still dead. His spirit remains attached to the Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  15:43:30  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having drunk gnomes come into my bar every day asking for a mug of "Hardbuckler Flamethrower" would drive me bitter and crazy too.

Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  19:48:27  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if Durnan fell in love with an adventurer while traipsing around Undermountain, and lost his love in a cruel situation that he could not prevent or stop?

It could make for an interesting fetch quest - to gather the remains for resurrection or if that's not possible, to find a keepsake that was carried/worn by the deceased lover.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2018 :  21:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Durnan had been married with children at one point.

I'll take a mix and match please, the Durnan we see in 5E is actually a member of the Unseen and the real Durnan is in the sword Grimvault. Some sort of cursed "good" sword haunting an "evil" character. Maybe there is a battle of wills going on hence the Neutral alignment. Maybe the sword is feeding him false memories, explaining the different look, to try to hit to people something isn't right here.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2018 :  23:04:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

A doppleganger of the Unseen?

-- George Krashos

Now that is interesting. George quietly dropping ideas...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic