Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 FR Reference: Waterdeep 1479DR (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  11:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been lazy and occupied with with freelancework on German RPG and finding a new job, but here's a little update from 'The God Catcher' (Folk of Waterdeep for this book still missing, but working on it)

Noble Clans and Houses of Waterdeep
Mrays Family
Nazra Mrays, ‘Lady Loudbuckles’, a half-elf woman, a Masked Lord, protector of Ahghairon’s dragonstaff (TGC pg. 314) (See Folk of Waterdeep)
Antoum Mrays, Nazra’s young son, studies a the House of Wonders.

Sea Ward
House of Wonders
Former temple of Mystra
“Master Rhinzen Halnian of the Court of Summer’s End, Master of Wizardry, Head of Ritual Studies”, a sunelf wizard, blond hair, a ‘dreamkisser’ meaning he is addicted to the drug haepthum, which he buys in Mistshore in the evening, going by carriage. (TGC pg. 14-16, 30-32) Teaches scions of noble houses in wizardry, his apprentices wear blue robes (TGC pg. 12-13, 31). Was severly injured by the destruction of his tower (which he destroyed in a drug induced panic).
Cassian Lafornan, apprentice, good-looking, brown hair and hazel eyes (TGC pg. 13)
Shava, apprentice, elf-girl, Cassian's girlfriend (TGC pg. 14)

The God Catcher
An apartment house, built from a former Walking statue. Lies at an accidental square created where Sul Street meets an unnamed jog of Market Street. A hearth house, a dry-goods store and a few far-shippers lie nearby. One of its legs is sunken into the ground connecting the building with the sewers. (TGC pg. 5-6).
One of it’s eyes has been knocked out to form a window. The statues features waver uncomfortably in the midst of masculine and feminine, youth and old, with full lips, hard chin and round cheeks (TGC pg.60).
Aundra Blacklock, a raptoran sorceress is the landlady of the house, who lives in a sphere without a visible door floating 20ft. above the statues upward-reaching arm (TGC pg. 6-7)
It’s said that she can heal spellplague damages.

‘Hearth-House at the God Catcher’
(Not actual name) Has a certain irrepressible charm, owned by Mardin Eftnacost, a former adventurer and friend of Lady Tennora Hedare and her late mother Liferna (TGC pg. 5, 20,35)

Queen of Hearts Bathhouse
A song’s walk away from the God Catcher, clean, reputable and well run, but also terribly public. (TGC pg. 73)

Sparaunt Tower
To the north of the Godcatcher, a former Walking Statue, a tall and listing silhouette, it’s hawklike beak is illuminated by a line of magical lights (TGC pg. 61)

Castle Ward
‘The Seated King’
(Not actual name) A former Walking Statue, peeks over the buildings of Castle Ward, depicting a crowned and seated man with the suggestion of leather armor carved into it’s chest and limbs, it’s hairline traced by the lights of the tavern built into it’s lap. Hollowed out for living space.(TGC pg. 61)

Mountainside
The Downgiant Row
A former Walking Statue, depicting a warrior, became a series of houses. (TGC pg. 61)

Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2010 :  08:49:45  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Folk of Waterdeep
Deadeyes (a.k.a. Harhoarguh)
A plaguechanged beholder. lives in Undermountain, Deadeyes was imprisoned and 'stored for a future purpose' by Halaster, but the Spellplague freed the beholder. Ravaged by centuries of imprisonment and blasted by magic, disfigured and possible insane. (Du178: EotR:Deadeyes)
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2011 :  17:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm lazy updating this list. But maybe you like two of the topic-related pictures I drew up the last days?

http://therealmidir.deviantart.com/art/Open-Lord-Dagult-Neverember-200799007?q=gallery%3ATheRealMidir&qo=1

http://therealmidir.deviantart.com/art/Lirdolin-V-0-5-200800663?q=gallery%3ATheRealMidir&qo=0

For the interested: the later picture was part of the "Hannah Drizztanna" pic (that was created due to a discussion on the 'The Legend of Drizzt Boardgame'-thread), before I decided that it would be sad to let it rot on my harddrive and converted a part of it into a new portrait for my player character/ Candelkeep alterego Lirdolin.
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine told me that their is an obscure adventure called 'Undermountain- Halaster's Lost Appretice' that sports pictures and infos of Lilten Turncloak and Fayne from the novel Downshadow. Does anybody know where I can get said adventure or at least find the two pictures?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  16:08:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

A friend of mine told me that their is an obscure adventure called 'Undermountain- Halaster's Lost Appretice' that sports pictures and infos of Lilten Turncloak and Fayne from the novel Downshadow. Does anybody know where I can get said adventure or at least find the two pictures?
Hi Lirdolin,

You're talking about Season 1 of the D&D Encounters program, which I actually wrote. It's not obscure, per se, but something that saw only a limited release and hasn't been posted for public consumption as yet. I'm hoping that WotC eventually releases it (and the rest of the Encounters adventures), even as just a web product.

The images in question are just stock pick-up art (not original or tailored to the characters), so I don't think you'd necessarily want those. There is a great deal of information that could be useful, however. Email me at erikscottdebie AT yahoo DOT com and we'll figure something out.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  18:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Lirdolin

Hi Lirdolin,

It's not obscure, per se, but something that saw only a limited release and hasn't been posted for public consumption as yet. I'm hoping that WotC eventually releases it (and the rest of the Encounters adventures), even as just a web product.

Sorry Erik, I would classify that as obscure (until if/when WotC releases it to the general public). Until then, anything that is RPGA only, limited, or NDA for that matter is obscure in my books (could be a different set of books from yours though).
Anyways, this is the first I personally hear of this and am hoping it does become public even as a web product.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2011 :  23:22:03  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
You're talking about Season 1 of the D&D Encounters program, which I actually wrote.

Yeah, new infos on Lilten and Fayne by the creator of the two himself :) Thanks for your offer, I will send you an email
Lirdolin
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
194 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2011 :  16:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After having recently discovered, that the Living Forgotten realms adventures are now online for the general public, I've gathered some of the knowledge contained therein and the "Encounters 1: Undermountain:Halaster's Lost Apprentice" Adventure (some places are updates, some are new to the list):

Sea Ward

Tempel of Sune
Tempel of Beauty, On Greengrass, annual costume ball (30 of Tarsakh), DS39,158
Lorien Dawnbringer, one of the temples celebrants, ventured into Downshadow with Lady Ilira to help people in need. She had a fine-boned face of forty winters and red-golden curls of hair DS51
Was murdered by the dwarf monk Arrath Vir.
Thelma Flametop, cleric of Sune, Heartwarden, a young red-haired beauty with a bubbly personality. She dresses is pinks and greens and wears gold jewelry. Thelma is a native of Waterdeep. WATE1-2
Risa Waylon, cleric of Sune, Heartwarden, a more mature, half-elven woman, quite fashionably dressed. She has a more serious demeanor and is quite the collector of art. Risa moved from Cormyr to Waterdeep 15 years ago. WATE1-2
The Temple of Selune,
is more commonly known as the House of the Moon. It is a large, majestic structure. It is usually a more open and airy place, but during the storm seasons many of the windows and doors are boarded up. WATE2-1
Jhessail Eveningfall (High Priestess of the House of the Moon, female half-moonelf, She has silver hair and lime green eyes. Dressed in robes of blue and silver with a wide leather belt from which a moon-head mace hangs, she presents a calm and pleasant demeanor) WATE2-3
Silverstar Rahyn is a large, muscular female watersoul genasi with angry green skin and deep blue lines of energy coursing throughout her body. She is very curt and impatient with the PCs through most of the conversation, punctuated by occasional periods of utter calm and happiness. Storm season plays havoc with her moods.WATE2-1
Moonstar Villa
on the Street of the Singing Dolphin, just south of Diamond Street. WATE1-1
Lord Stedd Moonstar, dark-haired young man
Logan, the butler, a middle aged dwarf who walks with a pronounced limp and is visibly nervous around the adventurers. Has an exceptionally long beard festooned with numerous star shaped crystals and a single large moon. He believes that adventures are savages and fears the PCs will strike out at him in anger. This fear is based on a bombastic column in the Mocking Minstrel broadsheet.

Castle Ward

The Yawning Portal
The Yawning Portal Inn stands on Rainrun Street in Castle Ward. It is named after the Yawning Portal, the only well-known public access to Downshadow. The proprietor is Durnan the Sixth, a big Chondathan, named for the original owner of the Yawning Portal. E1-U:HLA
It is built of stone, with upper floors of guest rooms. The tap room is dominated by a 40-foot diameter well with a 1-foot high wall around it. A block and tackle system with a heavy rope leads to a winch at one end of the room it is 140 feet (28 squares) down to the floor of Downshadow below. WATE1-6
Adventurers are strongly advised not to attempt to lower themselves down the well, lest they fall down into the cavern, suffering some serious damage. If someone does not heed his advice and falls, Durnan, who is operating the winch for a fee, usually leans over the well and shouts “I told you so!” E1-U:HLA
Durnan charges 1 gp each to go down and 1 gp each to come back up, payable in advance. WATE1-6
DS
Guildhall of the Solemn Order of Recognized Furriers & Woolmen
a large beaver statue with a wooden placard identifies an ornate stone two-story building as
the Guildhall WATE1-3
Bright Mounts Stables
The only place in the city that has griffon and hippogriff mounts for rent. Renting a hippogriff costs 100 gp per day with another 100 gp as a security deposit. A hippogriff may be purchased for 4,200 gp. If one wishes to buy a griffon it’s possible for 9,000 gp. Griffons are not available for rent. WATE2-3
** Probably connected to the former noble house Gundgulf, the merger of the Houses Brokengulf and Gundwynd, who both caught and trained exotic animals.

Dock Ward

Knight’n Shadow
Corner of Fish and Snail Streets DS14
Two-story tavern, on the site of the former Sea Knight tavern (which collapsed in 1425DR due to spellplague or mage-duel)
Connects Waterdeep and Downshadow DS15
The Knight ‘n Shadow is a two story tavern in Dock Ward (near the intersection of Fish Street and Snail Street). The tavern is shabby and populated by criminals and others who wish to hide their business. The two burly half-orc bouncers must be either bribed (25 gp per PC), impressed that the PC would not be out of place (for example, spellscarred, rogues, orcs, gnolls, shadar-kai, or drow), or Intimidated DC 21 before allowing access to the lower level of the tavern. A rickety set of stairs through a sloped tunnel leads to the lower level of the tavern. From here the PCs can enter Downshadow via rope lift manned by a spellscarred half-orc. Tip well for smooth trip.
WATE1-6
The Thirsty Sailor
Tavern on the corner of Fish and Ship Streets. This decrepit old tavern has boarded-up windows and careless repairs. The interior is smoky and the repulsive odor of tar, stale beer, sour wine, sweat, and worse fills the air.
The patrons divide their time here by drinking, singing bawdy songs (off-key) and brawling. No female staff or patrons grace the Thirsty Sailor, not even female sailors or dockworkers. WATE1-1
The Thirsty Throat
Found on the corner of Candle Lane and Slut Street, this ramshackle assembly of wood amazes all by not fallen down. The tavern is crowded and dimly lit. The tables and chairs are bolted down. In the front left hand side of the room, a small group is playing darts WATE1-1
The Blue Mermaid
The Blue Mermaid tavern is a respectable establishment with decent food at a good price whose clientele is normally sailors and dockworkers looking for a quiet place to eat. The manager is a man named Stevian. WATE1-5 &1-7
Magpie & Gannon
the largest and best store for books, charts, and maps in Waterdeep. Although Gannon is not a sage as such, he is reputed to be a follower of Oghma. Some believe Magpie travels and acquires rare books, but no one is really sure if that is all she does. WATE2-2
Dancing Mermaid
Tavern WATE1-4
Knotted Rope Tavern
sports a memorial in the dedicated to those captains who’ve died from sea wraiths attacking Waterdeep’s harbor. WATE1-4

South Ward

The Drunken Bard Nightclub & Theater
A festhall, Jard le Karn, proprietor of the festhall, is a relative newcomer to the city. His festhall has been open six months and has been very successful, considering it sticks to entertainment and dining (no gambling).
The Club uses local and traveling entertainers. Originally a warehouse, the main floor includes three different entertainment halls, a spacious entry hall, a cloak room, a series of privies and a kitchen. A veritable warren of access corridors allows waiters and entertainers to move between the rooms unobserved. The second floor
offers private rooms for dinner and entertainment, accessible by Club members or for a one-time fee. WATE1-2
Seala, hostess, female half elf,
Kar, host, male half-elf,
Sigrud, waitress, Jester’s Room, female human
Hector waiter, Bard’s Theater, male human
Legendary Pottery
The shop is filled with quite unusual and ornate pottery. The Sembian shopkeeper, Narvin, is a short, thin, black-haired man with a goatee. He is a high-energy, nervous individual who strokes his goatee when thinking.
He bargains over the value of each pot. WATE1-2

Trades Ward

Dagger’s Rest
The old inn stands on the east side of High Road. Was formerly know as the Inn of the Dripping Dagger The walls of the inn are fieldstone at street level and timber for three upper floors. The owner of the inn, a former adventurer named Tessele Swiftwater, employs an extensive staff of waitresses, kitchen staff, chambermaids, hostlers and a minotaur bouncer named Thoat.
The food is tasty and plentiful. Notable are pan-fried lout (a local small brown fish) and baked shalass (a local trout-like fish). Notable drinks include Moonshae almond brandy, elverquisst (the exotic drink of many elves), and a famed Waterdeep wine, zzar, which is fiery orange with a distinctive almond scent. They do have rooms available WATE1-1
Felzoun’s Folly
Felzoun’s Folly Tavern is on River’s Square. The staff is a mix of humans and dwarves. Patrons are a mix of merchants and shoppers with a smattering of mercenaries. The food and drink here is of good quality and modest prices. The Barkeep Heljara, afemale dwarf is an information broker, calls the dwarfen bouncer ‘Sonny’ WATE1-1
The Gentle Rest
The Gentle Rest is an old, large, comfortable inn on High Road, where it bends to meet Waterdeep Way. The inn has five floors and a stable located on an alley behind the inn. The current proprietor is Marlak Buckman, a jovial, stout, middle-aged man of average height. Sports stables that can house wagons. WATE1-1

Downshadow

Morthos, tiefling crime lord, fixer, fence, called ‘Lord of Downshadow’ by some. He is suspicious, aloof, and quite intelligent. a 6-foot-tall tiefling with gold eyes, dark red skin and purple-dyed dragon skin leather armor. WATE1-2
Grimvok, spellscarred dwarf with with four muscular tentacles instead of arms protruding from his torso. Will, for a price, guard a person or an object for nomads of Downshadow, Grimvok is old with a short grey beard. He smells of stale beer and pipeweed. His clothes have countless tears and holes. Grimvok is bitter and cynical. He has been hard pressed to find a way to keep his honor since he became spellscarred. WATE1-2

Nobel Houses

House Dunflagon
Lord Chostal Dunflagon, recently passed away WATE2-1
House Grifstone
Grifstone is one of the newer noble houses. (Any noble house less than 200 years old is considered new.) Their wealth comes from mining, masonry and the crafting of arms and armor. WATE1-1
Ran Grifstone, third son of House Grifstone, is somewhat arrogant and very naïve. WATE1-1
House Moonstar
The Moonstars are a noble family and faithful followers of Selune. Once prestigious, the family has suffered various hardships over the years. Much of the family has left Waterdeep. Recent activity indicates that Stedd Moonstar is making plans to restore the family’s wealth and standing in the city.
House Moonstar’s primary sources of income are running caravans, exploration, and cartography.
WATE2-2
Lord Stedd Moonstar WATE1-1

Former Noble Houses

House Estelmer
dissolved; some property to House Ralnarth
Morgan Estelmer currently resides in Mistshore. He is an old, bitter human wizard who drove himself mad trying to restore his house back to power. Now voices gibber in his mind, making focusing on any complicated spellcasting difficult. WATE2-1

Guilds

Solemn Order of Recognized Furriers & Woolmen
Guildmaster Kalander Hornhand died in 1479DR WATE1-3
His heir, Guildmistress Daundratha Hornhand is a soft-spoken and kindly but very business-like human woman who usually wears a beaming smile below her large blue eyes.
Master Mariners’ Guild
Master First Mariner, Guildmaster Master Brendan, is a muscular older man WATE1-4
This guild’s members are ship captains and merchant fleet owners who are based in or who often put into
Waterdeep. The guild represents their interests and provides services such as harbor pilot training, accommodations,and temporary warehouse space for cargo. The guild will supply a harbor pilot for a ship upon request. City Guard patrols inspect ships’ crews and cargoes for hostile, dangerous or illicit activities. WATE1-4
Guild of Watermen
Master of the Harbor, Guildmaster Sabbar, is a particularly small, older male halfling. His wife was killed by a ghoul. WATE1-4
Sargasso the Waterman (a male half elf) WATE1-4
This guild’s members load and unload almost all of the cargo on ships in its harbor. They run various small skiffs and ferries about the harbor and to ships. They retrieve items floating in the harbor, but due to the danger of the sea wraiths, they do not dive in the harbor routinely. Watermen know the currents, depths and backwaters of the harbor as well as the tides.WATE1-4

Other Organisations

The Heirs of Mirt
Founded by Renaer Neverember
Headquaters: A hall in Castle Ward currently under renovation
A society of Waterdhavian adventurers whose members vow to defend Waterdeep against all enemies, to uphold the values of Waterdeep (such as fighting corruption), and to aid the helpless.
There is no membership fee nor salary nor stipend for membership.
The members are only required to be true to defending Waterdeep. If at anytime they cannot do that, then they should resign.
Membership benefits include the usage of the hall to serve as a social club with meals, drinks, and meeting rooms. Members may bring guests.
Patrons seeking adventurers may post notices here or come in person seeking help.
You may be a member of another Adventuring Company in addition to this Society.
Foreigners are not accepted as members because their loyalties likely lie with other realms. If they make their residence in Waterdeep in the future, they may join at that time.
As we prove the worth of the adventurers, it is hoped that the Society is seen as an informal militia or a group that would provide back up for the City Guard for the defense of the City.
It is possible that the membership might decide to undertake civic projects in the future. WATE1-6

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

502 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2019 :  02:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I know I'm a decade late to this... but this is a wonderful list of lore/facts. I sadly haven't the time to read all the new novels anymore and even when I did I was horrible at taking notes or remembering cool facts.

Has anyone done this for other regions/novels???

Anyway this thread proved very helpful in running Dragon Heist since it has info on Ranaer Neverember that isn't listed any where else I could find, including wikis.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2019 :  20:23:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have done this for Neverwinter. I'm going to share it one of these days.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2020 :  21:46:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Zeromaru X,

When indeed? :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I have done this for Neverwinter. I'm going to share it one of these days.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000