Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Where do characters come from?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2017 :  13:56:58  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a 404 error.
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2017 :  14:03:00  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Yoss

I've come to the realization that no matter what music/movies/books I try to borrow from, I can never select a decent name for a character. Or a message board handle, even. My hat's off to you folks who can.

<---who is named after their first WoW character (the short version, since he was originally named after Yossarian from Catch-22).

A cool way to come up with unique character names is to just randomnly type on your keboard and see what comes up. Interesting names may jump out at you when you add strategic vowels or tweak it a little.

Kyjifhu Hepieaef shall be in my next game of Dwarf Fortress.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2017 :  14:41:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spectralballoons

I'm getting a 404 error.

The page has likely been moved -- this was resurrecting a 6 year old topic.

I should have removed that part of the quote and only used the reference to the Scarlet Pimpernel character as an influence for Danilo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2017 :  21:15:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Many places, no doubt, but some of mine tend to come from songs.

Today's blog post tells a bit of backstory about Hedvig, a character in an upcoming Tales of Sevrin book. http://www.elainecunningham.com/2011/10/25/dwarf-girls-have-more-fun-no-really/

Some of you might remember Jill, the berserker dwarf from Silver Shadows. A few readers have identified the source of inspiration: Johnny Cash's song "A Boy Named Sue."

Danilo's roots include the adventure story The Scarlet Pimpernel. and Oscar Wilde's plays.

Bit of thread necromancy, here... I just finished reading The Scarlet Pimpernel for the first time, and I found myself thinking the character was a lot like Danilo. Now I know why.

A reader once described Danilo as "The Green Pimpernel." That amused me.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  16:35:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cale came in part from Bill Munny (Clint Eastwood's character) in UNFORGIVEN.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  18:05:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

For a moment, I misread that as Bill Mumy.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2017 :  14:38:12  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Haha.

The real question, though, is: Does a Bill Mumy mentnion conjure LOST IN SPACE for you or BABYLON 5? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2017 :  15:38:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha.

The real question, though, is: Does a Bill Mumy mentnion conjure LOST IN SPACE for you or BABYLON 5? ;-)

I know of Lost in Space, but it rather predates me. Babylon 5, though, gave me two of my all-time favorite characters from any media: G'Kar and Bester (or Dark Chekov, as I call him). G'Kar for his overall story arc and character development, and Bester because he's one of the best villains I've seen: the kind you can empathize with and understand, and the kind that represents the darker side of otherwise noble impulses.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2017 :  20:26:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's kind of funny... years ago when I first created Sleyvas I had actually used the picture of Clint Eastwood from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on my character sheet (and whenever I was using him as an NPC as well). I had him as a dual classed fighter / mage. Then when I ran a mini-ravenloft campaign I used him there as an NPC transferred over to whatever the domain was that had Bane available as a god (Nova Vaasa maybe?). I had him with smokepowder weapons. Then when they came out with the Gothic Earth piece of ravenloft, I was using him in stories with another person, and I had him get introduced to six shooters. So, he then transferred back to the realms, but time had passed weird, and though he was 20 years older or thereabouts, only 5 - 10 years had passed in the realms (yeah, my memory is fading). When he returned, he'd lost respect for the Zulkirs, had been living as a bounty hunter hunting mages, and eventually he meddled with time magic in order to rescue his dead wife... which led eventually to his betrayal of Thay and need to flee, faking his death by seizing someone else's body.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  01:33:59  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

I always thought that characters are created when a mommy character and daddy character love each other very much....

Or when mommy found the Orc bartender somewhat attractive.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2017 :  20:00:16  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to read a scene based on All Along The Watchtower by Dylan/Hendrix

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000