Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Black Road - Anauroch
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1069 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  21:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The Black Road
Location Anauroch

The Black Road was the trade route that ran through the great desert of Anauroch. It wound west from the ruins of Teshendale to Llorkh at the foot of the Graypeak Mountains

Questions.
Any Forgotten realms novels decribing this place

Traveling distance from the ruins of Teshendale to Llorkh

Any places of specifik interest on this road

Last how do one navigate in the dessert.. With the help of the stars ore another way.

Please share any knowledge you have and have a great day...

PS..

You can be a dead herro ore a alive coward
If you want to die like a herro you have to live like a herro

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  22:04:54  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Victor_ograygor,

quote:
Any Forgotten realms novels decribing this place

It is written about in the novel, The Parched Sea, a Harper's novel.

quote:
Traveling distance from the ruins of Teshendale to Llorkh

Using the following path, it would be approximately 781 miles:

• Llorkh to top of Dawn Pass: 32 miles
  • Dawn Pass to the Lonely Moor (somewhat proximate to Aumvor's Castle): 129 miles
  • The Lonely Moor to Dagger Falls: 520 miles (bear in mind that that distance there is a little bit of as the crow flies, but pretty close)
  • Dagger Falls to Teshwave: 100 miles (I am using Teshwave as the center of the form Dale, Teshendale)

quote:
Any places of specific interest on this road

There are definitely places of interest along the way:

• Skull in the Sands
  • Elah'zahd (House of the Moon: a sacred temple to Selune)
  • Several oases, including: Yliyl, Well of the Cloven Rock, Bhaerlith, Olomaa, Colored Waters
  • Yeoman's Loft (a bit off the road, but quite an awesome place!)
  • The Teshenfalls Pass with Shraevyn's Tomb not far off the road at all in the Giant's Craw Valley

quote:
Last how do one navigate in the dessert.. With the help of the stars ore another way.

I would consider looking up how the Tuareg use astronavigation. They have nomads that use it to this day. My understanding is that they still maintain sub-Saharan trade routes to this day, and they allegedly brought that skill from their predecessors, the Berber.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran a brief (six months, meeting every other week) campaign across the Anauroch. PCs had to make it from the West side of Anauroch to the East, using the Black Road. When researching this, I found this little tidbit in the 2e Anauroch supplement. It proved interesting, and allowed the PCs to discover a Decanter of Endless Water, which is the only reason they survived the desert crossing in the first place. I simply had the Decanter as an object left at the bottom of a man-made hole, and magics kept the oasis from spreading too far. PCs found the decanter and... well, the oasis is gone, interrupting the road in such a way that the next Zhent caravan would find itself at a dried up oasis.

From page 29:
quote:
Please refer to "The Sword" chapter for details of Zhentarim bases established in the desert (including an ingenious practice of "growing" an oasis around a decanter of endless water). At least five such bases are known to exist in the desert: Bhaerlith, Haunga, Ma'atar, Olomaa, and Vuerthyl.

If those oasis are of interest to you, thought it might be worth drawing attention to.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)

Edited by - Delwa on 20 Nov 2020 23:08:16
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2020 :  23:30:14  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Delwa,

Interesting development for the campaign. Amazing how something so simple, can change something in that way. Though, I would imagine with all of the talent and skill in the ranks of the Zhentarim, that they would find a way to make it work with other magic items too, of course, to their advantage. ;)

I am curious though: what did you do as DM to keep them "busy" during their travels? Surely, not just combat all of the time. Hardly seems suitable.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
394 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2020 :  11:53:32  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do the Zhentarim consider a tour of duty in Anauroch a form of punishment? The assumption is a time before the return of Thultanthar to Toril.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1738 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2020 :  20:10:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

quote:
Do the Zhentarim consider a tour of duty in Anauroch a form of punishment? The assumption is a time before the return of Thultanthar to Toril.

I cannot see how Zhentilar would not see such a duty station/tour of duty to be a punishment. I think they likely saw it as the desolate, removed, and unamibitious location that it is. It's like in the U.S. Army, who wants to be stationed at Ft. Irwin? lol It sucks.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000