Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hours you spend playing during COVID19 lockdown
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Compaste
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  03:20:36  Show Profile Send Compaste a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
With the lock down and quarantine that is ongoing, how many hours do you spend usually spend playing?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7230 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  03:56:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of us aren't locked down. Still gotta work, still gotta provide "critical services".

Play until you get bored of playing. Then shift to learning. Work on a hobby which combines playing and learning. Or do it in some different order. Alternate whenever necessary.
There isn't any "unhealthy" hourly allocation if it keeps you occupied and entertained and stimulated, better than stalled life and idle tedium.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
33987 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  04:48:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So my current group is a bunch of people from work. My boss is the DM, 4 of us work for him, a 5th worked for him but transferred to another area, the 6th is her boyfriend (who works at the same company), and the 7th is a friend of the DM (he's also a late-comer to the group).

We started in the office, around February, using the conference room in our area. When the lockdown started, we all became work from home, but we use the company Skype to continue our weekly sessions (about 3 hours, once a week). I even use my work computer, since it's easier.

It's a 2E game. After taking us through the Temple of Elemental Evil, now we're starting a modified version of Under Illefarn Anew.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Oct 2020 04:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4004 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  05:42:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of my "Covid Time" is spent playing EverQuest.

I do spend a few hours a week working on my Grey Realms and working out the interlocking storyline to make it all fit.

Then, in that world, I have a few games going with my kids that are on again off again (mostly off).

One where one of my son's is playing an Assassin turned Magic-User who fled from Phlan with a great treasure, only to adventure in Undermountain and find a BIGGER treasure. He is now Apprentice to the Blackstaff and doing what, he will find out later, is some of the foundational work of the Moonstars.

Another game is on the continent of Cerilia (Birthright) where I am playing as the PC and ruling the Duchy of Alamie.

We are also playing a game in Greyhawk where the entire family is a party of related Elves and Half-Elves out of Celene.

But mostly I just "world build" my Grey Realms, which is composed of:

Faerun: Mulhorand is more like Stygia from Conan, while Unther is more like Shem from the same setting...everything else is nearly the same save for the Five Shires (of Mystara) existing south of Sembia on the forested shores north of Turmish. The Northmen who first settled Rauthym came from the west in the northern ice-clad continent of Thaele in Birthright (they have no relatives now living in Thaele or Birthright however as they were fleeing Giants and Dragons when they found Faerun).

Zhakara: haven't made hardly any changes to Zhakara. In truth I haven't worked with it at all save to say that it has been used as a crossroads for peoples originally from the Chaeldain Isles that eventually found slavery under the whip of the Imaskari, only to later break free when that empire fell and later became the Baklunish of Greyhawk.

a heavily modified Kara-Tur that is land-locked south of the expanded Hordelands and lays between "greater Faerun" and the Flannaes of Greyhawk...called the Celestial Empire. There is only what is essentially a modified Shou empire.

Greyhawk: I've used lots of Harn villages, towns and cities to more fully populate Greyhawk; starting with the Viscounty of Verbobonc and working my way out...but haven't really changed the history much of Greyhawk. The Tuov of Hepmonoland are originally from Ansalon (Krynn) though and the elves that originally came to Greyhawk were from Faerun, though the used portals to arrive on the Spindrift Isles.

Dragonlance: I have written that Ansalon came out of the sea when the Elves of Faerun caused the Sundering; then the High God (aka Ao) brought new gods to populate Ansalon apart from the rest of the world. The Ergothians' ancestors of Ansalon did however find first Ghanam in Aerk, Aduria in Birthright and then Hepmonoland of Greyhawk some time before that empire even rose to prominence in Ansalon. The minotaurs of Ansalon have spread north-east into the Chaeldain Isles where they have founded an empire called the Minotaur League.

Birthright: Djapar was settled by people with common ancestors to the far removed Baklunish of Greyhawk as well as the peoples of Zhakara, while many southern Adurians are distantly related to the Tuov of Hepmonoland (Greyhawk) and the Erogothians of Ansalon. The Magian of Cerilia is originally a Lich from Faerun.

Aerk: entirely homebrew region south of Hepmonoland in Greyhawk. The God Azrai (of Birthright) began in Aerk after ascending to Godhood among his Sarrukh kin who had founded an empire in Aerk that was destroyed during the Sundering caused by the elves of Faerun. Azrai then went to nearby Aduria where he began to be worshiped by humans. Aerk was also invaded much later by Elves (the Sidhelian of Cerilia) in a war against the Aerkay.

Chaeldain Isles: another homebrew area that is to the north-east of Ansalon and serves as a modified Taladas (still has the Minotaur League). It is south-west of Nimbral and due south of Djapar from Birthright as well. It is a crossroads region where the Nimbrali (of Faerun) trade with the Minotaurs (of Ansalon) and other Chaeldain City-States alongside Djaparans (from Birthright).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3423 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2020 :  16:41:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Pretty early in quarantine I started running a campaign with my sister and her fiance. We play once a week for about 2 hours or so, going to their place. Was better when I was still furloughed because time didn't matter. Now that I'm back at work, definitely a little less flexibility and I'm not inclined to drink as much/stay up as late as I would have otherwise.

-Using a modified 3e/5e rule set (mainly 3e with 5e classes/class abilities), and they just reached 6th level.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2020 :  20:17:14  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My weekly game never ended, though we've had to adapt and had a couple of short hiatus breaks due to restrictions at our apartment. We had been using the rec building in our complex, but that was banned when the lockdown began, so we've gone back to oyr living room aside from a week or two here and there where we had to postpone games due to jobs, family issues, and the like, but that's nothing new.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3749 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2020 :  20:21:21  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw, yes, I'm back!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1752 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2020 :  12:18:14  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somehow I went from 0 to 3 during Covid. None of them can become f2f games because of the geographic distribution.

I'm playing in a 5e California / Michigan game going through Tomb of Annihilation. (The DM is an amazing cartographer who's collaborating with me on the other two campaigns.)
I'm running a 5e Michigan / Maryland game of my own design, set in the North, for my son and nephews and their friends.
I'm running the same game, set in the North, as a 3.5e campaign with folks in Australia, California, Canada, Florida, Michigan, and Virginia.

These are all zoom / roll20 games, which I am finding I really do enjoy.

The opportunity to play a campaign with folks far afield is really amazing.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 18 Oct 2020 12:19:15
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Master of Realmslore

USA
1498 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2020 :  21:40:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Compaste,

I spend (14) hours a month for roleplay gaming. One of the few stress relievers for sure!

Best regards,

Robert McDonell
Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000