Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 The beauty of Complete Scoundrel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2020 :  15:52:29  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This accessory changed the whole 3.5 game for us as players.

Tell me your favorite features of this book. I'd love to read them.

Between skill-Tricks and Skill-Feats, your PC or NPC is vastly more competent.

Mod edit: Relocating to Core -- this is not an FR product

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Apr 2020 18:47:40

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  15:13:36  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a few good things in this book, mainly the Grey Guard prestige class for Paladins. Paladins were initially given almost no PrC support and I feel that was intentional to force people to play thru the class for 20 levels. This prestige class not only let you bend the rules of alignment but also continued some core paladin features and gave some additional leeway on certain elements in terms of Smites. I'd honestly play one if the Crusader wasn't every bit the Paladin is AND more.

I also liked some of the feats, namely Daring Outlaw, Swift Hunter, and some of the Sneak Attack feats that allowed you to give up some damage for an effect. The Skill Tricks were OK, but as Encounter Powers (for lack of a better phrase) they fell a bit short. I use Healing Hands and Shrouded Dance a lot tho
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2020 :  22:06:14  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't say "beauty", but as d20 mechanics goes, Tricks were a very good idea, in that clunkiness of Feats is broken down into pieces of more digestible size, and kept more context-dependent, thus more resistant to inevitable modifier accumulation.
It was a workaround rather than removal of clunkiness, but it wasn't as niche-limited as "solving" the problems of bland combat mechanics and runaway casters by turning warriors into casters too via Weaboo Fightan Magick(TM).
Still, this (and the rest of the above) was done better in Player Options with Traits simply purchasable for the same Character Points as NWP.
Even better in d100 (Warhammer 40k RP series) where they cut out the middleman, and various advancements simply have costs in XP (before BC).
Or the same without unnecessary tables as Aptitudes based variable XP costs depending on the character's affinities in an uniform way (after BC).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2020 :  01:57:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

It was a workaround rather than removal of clunkiness, but it wasn't as niche-limited as "solving" the problems of bland combat mechanics and runaway casters by turning warriors into casters too via Weaboo Fightan Magick(TM).

Well when you turn base classes from the PHB into absolutely garbage-can messes, sometimes it calls for crazy solutions. I'm assuming, of course, this is in reference to the Tome of Battle (Book of Nine Swords). Thing is, that book presents a better Fighter, Paladin, and Monk style class than the actual ones. Each class actually does what the PHB conceptually aspired to (but failed hard in achieving).

I think this presentation of why the Fighter fails is exceptionally well made and thought out D&D 3.5 Fighter Analysis if you want a good 20 min read.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  07:50:46  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Well when you turn base classes from the PHB into absolutely garbage-can messes, sometimes it calls for crazy solutions. I'm assuming, of course, this is in reference to the Tome of Battle (Book of Nine Swords). Thing is, that book presents a better Fighter, Paladin, and Monk style class than the actual ones. Each class actually does what the PHB conceptually aspired to (but failed hard in achieving).

I think this presentation of why the Fighter fails is exceptionally well made and thought out D&D 3.5 Fighter Analysis if you want a good 20 min read.

Loved it. Great read. Thanks to you I've become a disciple of 4Ed and 5ED rules, but with a 3.5 ed soul.

The 5ED spell Maddening Shadows as a 8'th level caster is pretty bad ass in 3.5 ed as well. A Will save, but No spell resistance allowed. If you roll low you're F'kd.

I would love to say that the Avatar of Erevan Ilesere is a Rogue 20/ Swashbuckler 20/ Cleric 20/ A 60 CR being would seem good for a demi-god of the elves.

But I know that many people on here are against epic-level games with weird things happening.

It's a travesty.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2020 :  08:02:06  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

This accessory changed the whole 3.5 game for us as players.

Tell me your favorite features of this book. I'd love to read them.

Between skill-Tricks and Skill-Feats, your PC or NPC is vastly more competent.

Mod edit: Relocating to Core -- this is not an FR product

What? Excuse me? You relocate my lore and invoke something I said was true and call it Canon??? My sources were totally Canon to a fault. You said this was NOT a Forgotten Realms product, and by Canon specs you have the audacity to move this topic to a new forum? WTF WOW

Not quite sure we can be friends anymore. lol.

Maybe sit down as your favorite deity and roll the Tricksters dice? Maybe you're too chicken-shit to try it. It's a chance, a gambol, a fleeting try to bet against the trickster gods perhaps.

Fine... move my post to another forum. It is what it is.

Edited by - Copper Elven Vampire on 25 Jul 2020 08:10:48
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  02:45:42  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite features in Complete Scoundrel were the skill tricks, especially conceal spellcasting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000