Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 What is evil?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Carter7Gindenv
Seeker

Switzerland
15 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  17:24:07  Show Profile Send Carter7Gindenv a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Subject old as dnd alignement system maybe even more who knows?
Having a paladin of Tyr in my party I started to ponder more what will come at his faces. Lots of creature such as the umber hulk (CE) are aligned. But how could they be aligned without enough consciousness to understand that concept?

I really feels that what actually defines what is what is how the god supervising the creature is aligned with other gods. (like right or left politicaly. It's juste based on where you sat at the cafeteria)
In the same category there is the "create undead" by the cleric. Thorm be like "undead not cool except when we create them (eat that cyric)"

Just wondering how do you deal with alignement problematic? What fun case you encountered etc?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4382 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  18:03:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In part Evil is based on actions. A monster that causes only destruction and has no respect for the rights of others do tend to be classified as Evil. As far as it goes the umber hulk is considered intelligent.
As far as a character or NPC goes, they do not know the alignment they are. That is something that is determined by what they do. A player can say their Paladin is LG, however if he goes and kills all he dislikes because they do not agree with him (or they might do Evil in the future) the Paladin is actually not LG.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
551 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  18:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I define alignment in two axes - law-chaos and good-evil.
Law-chaos is about structure of beings mind - if it keeps its descisions based on rules (any) or impulsively on the spot.
Good-evil is about selfishness - more you care about others gooder you are.
There are many ways those can combine and defining a full character as one of the combination might be hard and for that reason mortals do not have a fix alignment so that it changes through life. Planar beings on the other hand have alignment fixed and cannot behave differently even if they want to.

Demons are selfish irracional creatures that revel in destruction but it is not the destruction that makes them evil. Common drow is evil but he need not be cruel or deceiving.

One thing to remember is that there are commonly available spells that can tell you somebody's alignment so this is a in-game attribute.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8339 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  22:09:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What it Evil? Its this new show on CBS, with the guy that was playing Luke Cage on Netflix playing a guy that wants to be a priest who is researching miracles, possessions, hauntings, etc... for the Catholic Church... and some psychiatrist chick who is kinda hot who comes with a bunch of little girls that are totally going to get demonized.

ba da boom! Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1683 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2019 :  23:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
551 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2019 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

What is love?

Baby, don't hurt me.

Don't hurt me no more Whoa Oooh ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

193 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2019 :  02:03:03  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

What it Evil? Its this new show on CBS, with the guy that was playing Luke Cage on Netflix playing a guy that wants to be a priest who is researching miracles, possessions, hauntings, etc... for the Catholic Church... and some psychiatrist chick who is kinda hot who comes with a bunch of little girls that are totally going to get demonized.

ba da boom! Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week.

And remember to tip your waiters!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000