Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Message spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Richard Cranium
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  21:27:27  Show Profile Send Richard Cranium a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, I have a bard who wants to use message to convince a barbarian that it is his destiny to protect the bard through out his adventures but does not want the barbarian to know that it is him.sending the message How would that play out? Example...in the tavern a bard sees a well equipped halfling (which assumes based on gear is able to handle himself). He sends message to the halfling about it's his destiny to protect the bard at all costs and you are destined for great things together. Besides personal decision to agree with the message or some type of intellectual boundary to force the decision to have the halfling agree how do I play that out? Thanks in advance

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
8128 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  22:55:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a world of magic, people hearing voices from nowhere are much less likely to believe "its the word of god" like might happen in our world. I think the bard needs to rethink things. In fact, its more likely to turn another direction with the person thinking this was an attempt at mind control and deciding they need to trounce the person.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 21 Jul 2019 22:56:59
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1840 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2019 :  21:45:25  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I agree with sleyvas, but the bard probably doesn't know that he needs to rethink things -- it seems to me like a logical thought process for the bard to have. Also seems right that a barbarian would react poorly to a disembodied voice speaking to him.

Even if the barbarian went along with it, message doesn't have the power of a charm or suggestion so he wouldn't be convinced. He might "play along" if he's in a good mood, but it might just be to identify the source of the sorcery so that his axe/sword can end it.

But that's up to the DM to adjudicate. The bard would probably proceed as you've described.

A charm person or friends spell might work better, for as long as the spell lasts, but if the barbarian realizes he's been manipulated, things are likely to get violent.

A better course of action might be to introduce oneself to the barbarian, offer to pay for his meal and stabling, and if parley goes well then maybe ask about the music of the barbarian's clan/tribe/people. (Make sure you know the right term before you ask the question.) Then a good performance check might increase the barbarian's goodwill toward the bard. Unless the barbarian is from a clan that accepts magic, avoid casting anything on the barbarian and downplay the use of magic in general until the barbarian understands that the bard is honorable and mentally strong -- ie, not corrupted by dark sorcery.

Just my 2 cents. Happy playing!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Jul 2019 21:47:34
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000