Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking refuge in temples and churches
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2019 :  14:58:56  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I read in the old Faiths & Pantheons the clergy of Helm would give refuge to anyone who seeks sanctuary within the walls of their fortified churches, persecuted and criminally accused alike.
Is a common practice for persecuted people to seek refuge in churches, particularly those of their patron deities?
The Helmites turn over those running from the authorities to local law enforcement but they ensure a fair and just trial.
What about neutral or chaotic churches without strict obligations to the local autothorities? Is it possible for them to deny arrests, trials or executions of refuges or followers of their Deities?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2019 :  19:42:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that it varies from place to place, and on the deity, as well.

I would think that most churches would only protect their followers or those whose "crimes" matched the deity's portfolio... But even with that caveat, it's also going to depend on the local authorities. Good and lawful realms are going to be more willing to work with the churches of good and lawful deities, for example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2019 :  23:50:13  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaign, there is a specific dispute happening in Waterdeep.
A worshipper of Tempus has killed several innocent servants of a noble family in his attempt to avenge the assassination of a friend.
The church of Tempus has a feud with this noble family for old offences and would benefit from the unmasking of their recent crime.
At the same time, the legal authorities of the city want to punish by death the killer of the innocent servants of the nobles.
In this situation, is it an option for the worshipper of Tempus to ask the clergy of his God for refuge in the temple?
Is it conceivable for the clergy to protect a killer because of his faith and in the name of their long term goals?
Is it acceptable for the authorities of the city that a killer escapes justice due to the protection of a temple?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2019 :  08:40:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.
Yes.
No.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 21 Jun 2019 08:41:14
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2019 :  08:41:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.
yes.
No.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2020 :  22:09:04  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker ShadowKing,

You have fantastic questions!

You know one of the weakest areas of the Realms is law. It is almost (my opinion here) whimsically an amalgamation of medieval British, Romana Visigothorum, and Romana Burgundiorum in its form of jurisprudence. That sort of cavalier approach the "the leaders know best" version of those three, no matter what decision they come too. Now, I am painting with a bit of a broad brush, but it seems likely by the actions taken or not taken by local jurisdictions. Waterdeep, by my understanding, has often taken legal influence geographically up to Amphail, and Goldenfields: roughly a 74 mile (FRIA) range. That would put that also half way between the Roosting Griffon Inn and Daggerford.

As far as I know, there are no temples within that range of Waterdeep, other than the Hall of Heroes in Waterdeep.

So, I am assuming you are meaning that you are referring to the temple in Waterdeep, but I'll do both circumstances.

If the guy is suspected of murdering those folk in town, then the laws of Waterdeep apply. (City of Splendors: Waterdeep, p.78). The municipality of Waterdeep considers the crime of murder to be a crime against the city, and is punishable by either death upon conviction or enforced hard labor.

If the temple of Tempus were harboring a fugitive and refused to hand him over as a Willful Edict of a Magister and/or Lord, said person(s) would be guilty of a Crime Against the Lords, which would carry either Exile of Ban Against Future Entry for five years, or a fine of up to 1,000 Dragons.

Now, if you look at whether or not the temple has any possible recourse to act perhaps as an embassy would in the real world here, you can look at a quote regarding temples in Waterdeep taking judicial action:

quote:
Temples and priesthoods are not permitted to pass or
carry out sentences under the Third Plaint; only officers of
the city may do so.

The third plaint is crimes against the gods.

You can quickly see that the intention here is for their not to be extrajudicial authority. The municipality wants the sole discretion of judicial proceedings. So, knowing that, the City would demand release of the fugitive, or force their way in with a decree from a Magistrate on behalf of the Lords, IMO. I am sure that could get ugly against a temple of Tempus, but there is more than enough firepower in the city to put that down quickly.

Now, if the temple were outside of the city, and within that 74 mile area that I argue is within the "might equals right" distance of greater Waterdeep, I argue they probably would do the same thing in light of the fact that it was multiple employees of a noble. I mean, the leadership of Waterdeep is not just going to sit by and let that go down without recourse. Now, if it was some podunk guy getting wiped out by that Tempus clergy member, they might just issue a writ of arrest and wait for it to be processed in a more "normal" manner.

If the temple were outside of that area, no. They would just have a fugitive that murdered some folk and got away. No doubt they would have some amazing magical posters of him floating around in the event he was dumb enough to show his face in the city again though.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ShadowKing

In my campaign, there is a specific dispute happening in Waterdeep.
A worshipper of Tempus has killed several innocent servants of a noble family in his attempt to avenge the assassination of a friend.
The church of Tempus has a feud with this noble family for old offences and would benefit from the unmasking of their recent crime.
At the same time, the legal authorities of the city want to punish by death the killer of the innocent servants of the nobles.
In this situation, is it an option for the worshipper of Tempus to ask the clergy of his God for refuge in the temple?
Is it conceivable for the clergy to protect a killer because of his faith and in the name of their long term goals?
Is it acceptable for the authorities of the city that a killer escapes justice due to the protection of a temple?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000