Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Realmspace Book Preview and Hyperspeed Playtest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2019 :  02:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The [Forgotten Realms] Realmspace Traveller's Guide - Preview Edition - v1.1a (adjustments made to comply with site regulations) is now available and the Hyperspeed system playtesting has begun!

Both the preview document and the Hyperspeed system prototype can be downloaded for FREE at Dungeon Masters Guild.

[In case anyone is wondering why it is now being called Hyperspeed and not "the other term" - this is in compliance with DMsGuild regulations, allowing the product page to stay open, for the time being.]

Also feel free to leave feedback and suggestions on the product page.

NOTE: For testing out interplanetary navigation, one can use the distance figures given in chapter 1, section 2 of the Realmspace Preview document.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/226326/REALMSPACE-Travellers-Guide--PREVIEW-EDITION

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2019 :  16:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering, what regulation? Can you not refer to references like spelljamming?

Oh, and just downloaded it. So far I'm liking it and your concepts of what happened in the relatively recent past with Toril.

BTW, one thing I would highly recommend is when you get around to Selune, make the elves there "not really elves". There's a lot of options, for making them having the look of elves, and that people simply misunderstood or simplified what they thought. The fact that the people there worship Leira would only make sense that they'd propagate such a lie as to their exact identity.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 09 Mar 2019 16:17:42
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2019 :  16:57:58  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not "really" elves?

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  20:22:46  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just wondering, what regulation? Can you not refer to references like spelljamming?

Oh, and just downloaded it. So far I'm liking it and your concepts of what happened in the relatively recent past with Toril.

BTW, one thing I would highly recommend is when you get around to Selune, make the elves there "not really elves". There's a lot of options, for making them having the look of elves, and that people simply misunderstood or simplified what they thought. The fact that the people there worship Leira would only make sense that they'd propagate such a lie as to their exact identity.

The admin of the site explained to me that there's a mandate from WotC to keep settings separated (in terms of product identity) from the Spelljammer setting, so after I replaced or removed all uses of "spelljamming" and "spelljammer" as well as changing "lifejamming helm" to vampiric helm", I was allowed to have the product page open, at least for the time being.

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  20:58:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Why not "really" elves?

Oh, didn't see this response. I don't know. I found the elves on Selune (which they know as Leira), kind of bland. Having them actually be a darker thing portraying themselves as elves for the better treatment by those who think of elves as "innocent" just rings an improvement to me. Fits with the worship of Leira as well, and it'd be better than "they're evil elves" (which they are just portrayed as lazy and paranoid). Actually though, I should have phrased it "do something more with them so that they're not your run of the mill elves".

Some of the options I've thrown out are Shadar-Kai (meh), Ellefolk who didn't go to Ravenloft but still escaped the plane of shadow (aka the Arak from the 2nd edition Ravenloft Shadow Rift). Another was the Moondark clan of elves who supposedly "disappeared long ago" from Volo's Guide to the North. Technically, all 3 of these MIGHT be true to some degree at the same time even (since both the Ellefolk and Shadar-Kai supposedly originate in the plane of shadow, and both now have a fey background... and if the Shadar-Kai are a "group of elves" they MIGHT be the Moondark ones). Another option was the ghost elves from Dragon #313 (who are very isolationist, hate dark elves, were forced to serve devils, and don't even trust regular elves anymore)…. which actually I could also see that working with the aforementioned (i.e. both the Ellefolk and Ghost Elves were enslaved to another entity and forced to work as battle fodder... one to Hell's devils the other to a power from the Plane of Shadow)

Regarding the Moondark elves, below is some info, and it sounds like they had "skyships" which could have maybe gotten them to the moon.

One popular tale of the North is that of the Moondark Mountains. No sage is sure just which of the thousands of peaks visible from the upper River Surbrin are the Moondarks, but whoever finds them will be rich and powerful beyond the dreams of avarice. Their forested slopes hide abandoned elven citadels full of spell books and lost swords of power. The magic there is said to be far more strange and powerful than that left to the elves today.

The tales speak of bracers that allow the wearer to fly. The same items call into being full plate armor out of nothingness, and hurl
bolts of felling force. The Moondark citadels also safeguard scepters that unleash claws or whips of lifedraining force. The scepters can
also encase foes in stone, and then hurl them away to shatter against
obstacles or sink into watery graves. Many tales (no doubt grown greatly in the telling) describe mighty magic left behind by elves who took to ships that sailed the stars an age ago, never to return. Some accounts even say some of their skyships remain -- #151;ships, the tales insist, that are alive! The truth of all this awaits adventurers valiant (or lucky) enough to find the peaks.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  21:03:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Storyteller Hero

quote:

The admin of the site explained to me that there's a mandate from WotC to keep settings separated (in terms of product identity) from the Spelljammer setting, so after I replaced or removed all uses of "spelljamming" and "spelljammer" as well as changing "lifejamming helm" to vampiric helm", I was allowed to have the product page open, at least for the time being.

That's kind of interesting, because they're introducing spelljamming into material for FR again. I sometimes get confused about the product identity thing, because they specifically called out red wizards, and then later I think it was Mike Mearls who said you could write about red wizards for DM's guild (i.e. that they wanted to encourage that you could write about anything so long as it was realms related).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  10:01:24  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're quite specific on which settings you can and cannot use. Despite references to Greyhawk (for example) in 5e books, you're not allowed to use that either (not yet anyway).
https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217028818-Content-Guidelines

Out of curiosity, where can I find the spelljamming material you're referring to?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2019 :  21:50:26  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

They're quite specific on which settings you can and cannot use. Despite references to Greyhawk (for example) in 5e books, you're not allowed to use that either (not yet anyway).
https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-us/articles/217028818-Content-Guidelines

Out of curiosity, where can I find the spelljamming material you're referring to?

Not really. For instance, if I wanted to introduce material on Quads of Thay that cannot traverse crystal spheres on their own, and I was specifically writing about them in relation to Toril.... I'm thinking that would be allowed according to what they say. But then it sounds like I couldn't use the word spelljamming helm from what he was told, despite the fact that that's what it was, and the fact that this a device developed for the forgotten realms but in a spelljammer product line.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  09:43:19  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that doesn't contradict what I said (or tried to say, anyway ).

The link I posted is to the content guidelines, which WotC (via DMs Guild) can implement (and ignore) any way they see fit.
Those guidelines simply say 'you cannot create content for setting X'. The fuzzy area is what 'content for a setting' means, but the settings themselves are very specifically mentioned.

If you write about a Quad of Thay, WotC calls it 'content for the Forgotten Realms setting'.
If you write about a Quad of Thay and mention it's a spelljammer, WotC calls it 'content for both the Forgotten Realms and Spelljammer settings' (and tells you to remove the Spelljammer bits).

So they don't allow very specific spelljammer product identity terminology. Spelljammer and spelljamming are references considered too explicit to allow. Quad of Thay (probably) isn't.
In my mind, that's about as clear a line as they can reasonably be expected to draw, even though it cuts Quads of Thay – and lots of other stuff – right in half (and despite the fact they can decide otherwise whenever they feel it's needed).
Flawed as this may be, I reckon it prevents and solves a lot of issues. And I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but I don't think there's realistically a way to create a DMs Guild without any flaws.

quote:
That's kind of interesting, because they're introducing spelljamming into material for FR again.

And I would still like to know what you're referring to here. Did WotC introduce spelljamming material into 5e products anywhere?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  12:05:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, in the latest Waterdeep 5E adventure there are Spelljammer references.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2019 :  12:27:09  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to know, cheers!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000