Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms Christmas Ornaments
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2018 :  13:23:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, my girlfriend, her daughter, and I have gotten big into Harry Potter this past two years (which was interesting since we started a year before it became a fad again... I was really surprised to see Harry Potter dolls for kids at Walmart).

Anyway, I've been buying all kinds of gifts for them, including purses, shirts, Halloween costumes, etc... over the last year. So, one of her coworkers has also been a big fan, and they've chatted about it. The person is very artistic and got a cricut (spelling?) and decided to make Christmas tree ornaments for folks. She did a Grinch on a green bulb for one, two others that I can't recall, and a Harry Potter glasses and scar.

All I could think when I saw it was "Wow, that's a neat idea. Wouldn't it be cool to have some 1st edition FR gods' symbols on ornament bulbs". So, I was thinking after Christmas I may go out and buy a bunch of blanks and some cricut supplies and go to a different friend who just got a cricut. So, just thinking it through, what do you think would be some easy and also interesting God's symbols that I can just use the scans/snips from 2nd edition FR campaign setting and print (I'm assuming a cricut can read jpegs)? My initial thoughts are Selune, Mystra, Mielikki, Talos, Sune, Chauntea, Deneir

And as I'm typing this, I'm thinking "hey, what about the noble family heraldry from the original City of Splendors" and I'm thinking that could be fun with paint.

Anyone ever done something similar? Any other ideas along this topic you can think up that would turn out well?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2018 :  14:18:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I was making FR Christmas ornaments, I'd go for the Harpers symbol, first.

I did kinda-sorta make an FR ornament once, many years ago... I was at CallMeGene's house, grabbed his (then-newish) miniature of Drizzt Do'Urden, put a hook around the scimitars (they were crossed over the mini's head), and hung it from the Christmas tree. (I think that was the same year we hid all of CallMeGene's girlfriend's presents from her, while she was in the bathroom)

I only did that trick with the mini the one time, but I've made other stuff into ornaments. I particularly like to take the metal tins that have candy in them, and make ornaments from them. So now, the tree in our living room has stuff like a Pac-Man ghost, a Super Mario question box, and a big Skittle in it.

When my wife and I got together, we got into the habit of buying/making at least one new ornament, every year, which gives us new Christmas memories to revisit every year, and it makes for a much more unique and personalized tree.

Making your own FR ornaments would be a nifty way to do the same thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2018 :  14:51:08  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember when I was a kid, we used to make ornaments out of a kind of cookie dough that wasn't really for eating as it had a high baking soada content, but baked up really hard. Or maybe air dry clay.
If you really like the Harpers, then in additon to their heraldic sign, you could also make up a bunch of harper signs from Code of the Harpers. Use it as a teaching opportunity, lol. Being winter, Auril's holy symbol might be appropriate.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000