Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Erevan Ilesere and the Sloth domain??
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  16:46:27  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I did a google search of Erevan, and noticed that several pages of him said that he has the Trickery, Chaos, Luck, Elf and Sloth domain. The first 4 he has had since 3ED, but when did he get Sloth? That makes no sense whatsoever! Followers and worshippers of Erevan Ilesere are adventurous and always traveling and getting into trouble or causing it. The sloth domain seems to go against everything the elven god stands for. I think the Shadow domain would be far more suitable and far more likely than the Sloth domain. Can anyone help me out with this?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31518 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  18:13:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's sloth in that as rogue types, they're more willing to take from others than to do the work themselves?

Yes, that's a weak explanation. I agree that sloth is not suitable for Erevan.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2018 :  19:42:35  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Maybe it's sloth in that as rogue types, they're more willing to take from others than to do the work themselves?

Yes, that's a weak explanation. I agree that sloth is not suitable for Erevan.

I looked up the Sloth domain, and further concur that the spells listed and granted domain powers are just not like anything I would imagine Erevan granting to his divine casters. Is this 5ED lore? It's not homebrew as far as I can tell. About 5 separate pages on google claims he has Sloth as a domain. Darkness domain would not be suitable either, but I can see the Shadow domain (from Eberron setting) being far more likely than Sloth. Would you agree?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2018 :  16:43:19  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not to difficult to imagine that a trickster god would have a domain that empowers clerics that like to laze about and relax. The god is infamous for being a prankster; the lazy layabout who schemes up practical jokes while pilfering from a lord's wine cellar and relaxing under a tree is still his priest as much as the usual Bugs Bunny-type prankster is.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2018 :  19:53:07  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

It's not to difficult to imagine that a trickster god would have a domain that empowers clerics that like to laze about and relax. The god is infamous for being a prankster; the lazy layabout who schemes up practical jokes while pilfering from a lord's wine cellar and relaxing under a tree is still his priest as much as the usual Bugs Bunny-type prankster is.



Maybe some trickster gods of humans or halflings if you want to go down that path, but not clerics or divine casters of Erevan Ilesere. It simply just goes against his dogma. I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is cannon?
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2018 :  05:17:52  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an additional non-core domain. Like many other domains featured in 3.5e, the Seven Deadly Sins domains (and their virtuous counterparts) came late in 3.5e's lifespan (they first appeared in Dragon, IIRC), so they were tacked on as additional domain choices (core + FR core + other books).

Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2018 :  18:11:52  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

It's an additional non-core domain. Like many other domains featured in 3.5e, the Seven Deadly Sins domains (and their virtuous counterparts) came late in 3.5e's lifespan (they first appeared in Dragon, IIRC), so they were tacked on as additional domain choices (core + FR core + other books).





So instead of the Sloth domain, how about this... If mask is the god of thieves and erevan is the god of rogues, and they both share the Trickery and Luck domain, while Mask has the Darkness domain, then would it be too far fetched to give erevan the Shadow domain instead of Sloth??
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2018 :  07:00:18  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erevan is a god of rogues, but otherwise has no thematic association with darkness. Meanwhile, Mask's specific sphere icludes shadows. The Faerunian pantheon was not updated with non-core domains from later splatbooks and the magazines, which is why Mask does not have the Shadow domain despite being god of shadows.

If anything, I'd give Erevan the Celerity and Liberation domains.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2018 :  17:48:51  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Erevan is a god of rogues, but otherwise has no thematic association with darkness. Meanwhile, Mask's specific sphere icludes shadows. The Faerunian pantheon was not updated with non-core domains from later splatbooks and the magazines, which is why Mask does not have the Shadow domain despite being god of shadows.

If anything, I'd give Erevan the Celerity and Liberation domains.



That seems fair enough, but I see absolutely no reason why a deity of rogues and trickery wouldn't have the shadow domain as an option as well.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2018 :  02:41:45  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because then you'd have to give Olidammara the Shadow domain, since he's the same as Erevan. Being a god of rogues and trickery does automatically confer the Darkness or Shadow domains on that deity. Erevan has no association with darkness, unlike, say, Mask or Shar or even Myrkul (god of dusk). He's just a god of rogues in addition to mischief and change.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
31518 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2018 :  03:24:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Because then you'd have to give Olidammara the Shadow domain, since he's the same as Erevan. Being a god of rogues and trickery does automatically confer the Darkness or Shadow domains on that deity. Erevan has no association with darkness, unlike, say, Mask or Shar or even Myrkul (god of dusk). He's just a god of rogues in addition to mischief and change.





Given the roguish affinity for shadows and darkness, I would expect the same for a deity of rogues.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2018 :  08:45:43  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Because then you'd have to give Olidammara the Shadow domain, since he's the same as Erevan. Being a god of rogues and trickery does automatically confer the Darkness or Shadow domains on that deity. Erevan has no association with darkness, unlike, say, Mask or Shar or even Myrkul (god of dusk). He's just a god of rogues in addition to mischief and change.





Given the roguish affinity for shadows and darkness, I would expect the same for a deity of rogues.



'Rogue' is a very general term, though. Pirates, spymasters, trapsmiths, acrobats, scouts, thieves, poisoners, spies, snipers, assassins, thugs, burglars, bandits, swindlers, hustlers, cheats, cutpurses, pickpockets and so on can all be classified as rogues, but not all are especially associated with darkness, shadows and skulking around corners. The closest to a rogue-themed domain is Trickery.

Erevan's not exactly alone in this. Olidammara, Brandobaris and Vergadain are gods of rogues without any darkness-type cleric domains.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  14:18:53  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Shadows and darkness are completely related to Erevan as his holy time is Midnight!! His divine casters ask for their spells at midnight and so the Shadow domain and even the Night domain are compatable with Erevan Ilesere IMO.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  16:44:41  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

But Shadows and darkness are completely related to Erevan as his holy time is Midnight!! His divine casters ask for their spells at midnight and so the Shadow domain and even the Night domain are compatable with Erevan Ilesere IMO.



There is no Night domain in 3.5e. There's a Night subdomain, but that's a Pathfinder thing.

Corellon's priests also pray for spells at night. Corellon doesn't have the Darkness or Shadow domains. Bane's clerics pray for spells at midnight, but he doesn't have darkness-affiliated domains either.

I'm actually looking at Erevan's entry in Demihuman Deities right now. The closest Erevan actually comes to being affiliated with darkness and shadow is his Midnight Gambol, which is always held under the light of the full moon (which indicates Moon domain over Darkness/Night/Shadow domains). The Gambol itself is basically an excuse to party all night long, which points to Erevan being the god of parties, not a god of darkness.

As for Pathfinder, I'd suggest these as Erevan's domains:

Domains Chaos, Charm, Liberation, Luck, Trickery
Subdomains Captivation, Deception, Espionage, Freedom, Imagination, Innuendo, Protean, Revelry, Thievery, Whimsy

Edited by - LordofBones on 05 Jul 2018 16:59:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
7437 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  19:30:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

It's not to difficult to imagine that a trickster god would have a domain that empowers clerics that like to laze about and relax. The god is infamous for being a prankster; the lazy layabout who schemes up practical jokes while pilfering from a lord's wine cellar and relaxing under a tree is still his priest as much as the usual Bugs Bunny-type prankster is.



OOOOhhhhhh Yeeaahhhh, you just designed my favoritest for the next 5 minutes god for Katashaka. Favored by the muisling sub-race known as the Miraji (a horned rabbit folk with the ability to teleport short distances)... they have a trickster deity now known as Boogs Boo'nae

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Senior Scribe

450 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2018 :  20:17:30  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night Domain (Dragon # 342 89)

Core Deities: None.
Eberron Deities: The Keeper, the Shadow.
Forgotten Realms Deities: Eilistraee, Selūne, Shar.
Other Deities: Celestian.

Granted Power: You gain low-light vision. If you already have low-light vision you gain darkvision with a range of 30'.

Night Domain Spells

1. Sleep: Puts 4 HD of creatures into magical slumber.
2. Deeper Darkness: Object sheds supernatural shadow in 60' radius.
3. Deep Slumber: Puts 10 HD of creatures to sleep.
4. Phantom Steed: Magic horse appears for 1 hour/level.
5. Nightmare: Sends vision dealing 1d10 damage, fatigue.
6. Shadow Walk: Step into shadow to travel rapidly.
7. Waves of Exhaustion: Several subjects become exhausted.
8. Shadow Evocation, Greater: As shadow evocation, but up to 7th level and 60% real.
9. Shades: As shadow conjuration, but up to 8th level and 80% real.
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

827 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2018 :  01:56:10  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see google failed me, but other than Nerull not having it, those deities are pretty accurate. Erevan, of all gods, has no reason to have the Night domain considering that he's not especially affiliated with darkness. It's just that night is a good time to have a revelry.

Edited by - LordofBones on 06 Jul 2018 02:29:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2018 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000