Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Things to find in a Crown War-era Illythir dungeon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mi-Go
Acolyte

Finland
10 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  13:21:21  Show Profile Send Mi-Go a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am designing a small subterranean dungeon that would be an unfound and now extinct weapon/magic item cache from the Crown Wars, full of not-yet Dark Elven stuff and "automated" defences.

From my reading, before Lolth many of the nastier surface elves worshiped Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur, so slimes and oozes as nigh-eternal guardians sound like a good idea but what else? All living creatures at the very least would have either suffocated or starved to death thousands of years ago.

I am quickly running out of thematically fitting ideas. Any help?

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  13:24:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Banshees. Golems. Animated armor and weapons. Demons in traps. Undead elves.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Storyteller Hero
Learned Scribe

USA
329 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  14:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Storyteller Hero's Homepage Send Storyteller Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Otyughs for cleaning the sewage system...

My Blog: https://www.facebook.com/Johnnys-Tabletop-RPG-Design-Blog-1697026710539149/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

My DMG Shop: http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?x=0&y=0&author=Johnny%20Tek

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  15:10:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Go

I am designing a small subterranean dungeon that would be an unfound and now extinct weapon/magic item cache from the Crown Wars, full of not-yet Dark Elven stuff and "automated" defences.

Why not-yet Dark Elven? Dark Elven (mostly), not-yet Drow.
quote:
From my reading, before Lolth many of the nastier surface elves worshiped Vhaeraun and Ghaunadaur, so slimes and oozes as nigh-eternal guardians sound like a good idea but what else?

This leaves wards (perhaps badly decayed), undead (completely insane after being trapped for this long), critters from other planes (also quite insane, unless they were near-mindless, and/or cross-contaminated with the environment) and constructs (in various and unknown conditions).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  17:15:02  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the shadowy sections of the fortress where the Vhaeraunites held power I'd drop shadows (former ilythiiri militia) led by shadow fiend generals (clad in adamentine fullplate) and the occasional bound gehreleth and mephit. The armory might hold an adamantine or shadow golem, stocked with occasionally animated adamantine arms, piwafiis and blades. And a mimic, of course :P Most of the vhaeraunite architecture would be divided in function by lower class barracks up to the master towers.

The slimy sections where the Ghaunadaurrans held sway I'd make use of their tendency to experiment with life forces, so the menageries of chimeric creatures with experimental templates used for the Crown Wars might hold some surviving horrible lifeforms for pcs to accidentally free. A petrified remains of a winged wemic, a sickened and oozing black unicorn held in stasis, ooze-frozen aquatic/arctic bugbears and other creepy biomancy experiments. Ghaunadaurran architecture would be more experimental (equal chance to fail the test of time as to eternally endure in form) and militarized, with defensive structures to be able to section of parts of the fortress into hazardous buffer zones (i.e. deadly gas or ooze traps).

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2018 :  23:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dungeons like these are great excuses to bring back creatures from earlier editions. I’d consider rummaging through some old Dragon Magazines and smile at the goodies you’ve forgotten about.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2018 :  01:26:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-By the time the Crown Wars were bring fought, Lolth was (generally speaking) the primary deity of the Ilythiiri, so you can go with all that Lolth-related spider and demon stuff as well.

-Baelnorn, too.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  09:23:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lolth's underwear....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2018 :  10:38:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, it was mentioned somewhere - paraphernalia of early Dark Seldarine worship, which currently would be considered ludicrously heretical.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  08:46:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep remember that too..... ancient unholy symbols ,

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2018 :  13:14:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

lolth's underwear....

Does she leave them behind for everyone she sleeps with? I thought I was special.... oh and that thing she can do with her 5th and 6th hands while she's .... um, nevermind...

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 23 May 2018 13:45:56
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  07:27:41  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well she did leave them behind with an ancient member of house beanre.... in one of those ancient dungeons.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  09:00:02  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An ancient, crumbling tome written in a long-forgotten language.

Translated, it's the diary of a teenage dark elven goth waxing poetic about sunshine, roses and birdsong and complaining about how his parents just don't understand the joy in his soul.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2018 :  09:33:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Translated, it's the diary of a teenage dark elven goth waxing poetic about sunshine, roses and birdsong and complaining about how his parents just don't understand the joy in his soul.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  06:36:07  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also a lot of dust....watch yer asthma

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  13:23:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

WINNER!!

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2018 :  17:38:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Genial!

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000