Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 *gazes around in wonder* =updated=
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tigon
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  12:12:05  Show Profile Send Tigon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My oh my never in my quest did I expect to stumble upon such a sublime repository of knowledge!

Greetings everyone, I go by Tigon. I read a lot of Forgotten Realms (and Dragonlance) back in the 90s and early 2000s before I took on full time employment in addition to a side job/hobby as a DJ. Having produced over 100 events as a promoter, and played at hundreds more in 12 cities across the US and Canada, I'm now quickly approaching 40 and am happy with the fact that life has begun to slow down.

As such I have time to go back an pursue some of the passions I previously enjoyed such as fantasy novels and... D&D.

Ive been combing through Google looking for source material and references of a lesser known power in the realms whom ive pitted as the villainous power in the campaign I'm preparing to run with a whole slew of first time players, but... come to find out this villain is a bit difficult to find much on.

Man... I certainly have a lot of lore to catch up on!

So back in the late 90s I used to engage in a roleplaying experience in Yahoo! Chat where our realm was titled Ayenee (the chat area we used to game in was in Arts & Entertainment = A&E = Ayenee).

At any rate, during our VERY free-form game someone was role playing Garguath and his quest to steal Faerun, teleport it to Baator and turn it into the 10th level of Hell. Now at that point, I did learn Gargauth was from the FR campaign setting, and that he was the 10th Lord of 9, but not much else and I didnt look that much further into it. I did NOT know that his quest to steal Faerun and create the 10th level of Baator was actually from FR as well thinking it to be just a homebrew quest for our lil game.

Now that my life has calmed down and Im getting back to some role playing and table top gaming, I'm looking to DM a campaign for a bunch of 1st time players (and 1 with some experience).

For the past 20 years that story arc with Gargauth has stuck with me and as such, I figured it would be a good overall campaign arc to run, BUT as it turns out its a bit difficult to find much information on the Hidden Lord, which is why I'm reaching out here.

Thus far I've dug up the following resources that relate to Gargauth:

Powers & Pantheons
Faiths & Pantheons (pretty much stuff from Powers & Pantheons, but less content and detail)
Dragon Magazine: issue 91, Issue #91, Issue #28
City of Splendor
Cult of the Dragon
The Code of the Harpers

novels:
Elfshadow
Bloodwalk

I could really use some help with any additional resources, references and other information I can find on him or his clergy. Ill also consider Homebrew/non-cannon content.

Then I have quite the task in looking into how this would effect the worlds and the outer planes, and what other dieties and powers might have an interest in helping or hindering his ambitions... that is, if they even become aware of it, before its too late.

Once I'm sure I have as many refernces as possible, I'll write up a more detailed overview for the campaign and post it here for comments and thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Tigon

Edited by - Tigon on 01 Feb 2018 12:43:59

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  14:02:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try the old cloak and dagger for the information on the knights of the shield. There's also some minor stuff as it pertains to Gargauth, but very interesting from a game perspective in a dungeon mag adventure for 3e. It talks about Astaroth, which is one of the being Gargauth screwed over. That's dungeon #148, wells of darkness... and I recommend tying that into the Pit of Maleficence in Peleveran personally (said pit possibly opening onto multiple locations.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  15:34:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gargauth isn't Elfshadow. The Knights of the Shield are prominent in Silver Shadows, but we only see a few members of the organization, nothing deeper. I've read the book recently, and I don't recall any reference to Gargauth at all.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Feb 2018 15:36:29
Go to Top of Page

Thraskir Skimper
Learned Scribe

204 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2018 :  03:17:32  Show Profile Send Thraskir Skimper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hint but you didn't hear this from me. Look around here when you see a personable handsome Sage with great knowledge and a wonderful sense of humour you too can speak to the Tenth Lord of Nine.

Thay Red
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2018 :  14:33:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lands of Intrigue has details on the Knights of the Shield and Gargauth. As well as the rest of shenanigans in the region, of course.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000