Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Power of Faerun Leadership Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2017 :  06:59:57  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So I should begin by saying I think Power of Faerun is a wonderful book. From the time I picked it up I really liked how it built on the game mechanics, feats & classes, from other source material. It made for a great book for someone who bought nearly all the 3.5 material. I especially liked what they did with the Leadership feat.

Now the problem, I would be forever grateful if someone could explain to me how Influence and Leadership work to determine followers.

Page 158 makes it sound like, Leadership->Followers->Influence->Leadership. So luckily this converges. But it seems wrong, it required me to break out a spreadsheet and crunch some intense numbers to get it to converge, seems impractical.

It seems one iteration where you calculate followers pre-influence Leadership score, add up a base Influence and then derive Leaderships Influence modifier to calculate the real follower count.

There is very little on the web to clarify this, a few posts were made to Eric L Boyd, here he points to Rich Bakers answer. Sadly the WotC boards are no longer with us.

If anyone can help me it would be wonderful, or if anyone has Rich's post from the old WotC boards archived that would be great too. Hope someone can help me.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  01:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have pondered over this for the last several months on and off and I am pretty sure I know how this was supposed to work.

1. Determine your Base Leadership Score, Character Level + Chr mod, this cannot be great than 25 unless you have Epic Leadership.

2. Apply DMG modifiers, apply community-specific modifier (battlefield, faith or marketplace)

3. Use this Leadership score to determine minimum followers.

4. Use followers plus other modifiers to calculate Influence modifier.

5. Apply Influence modifier to determine maximum number of followers.

Now for the the important part why this does not start spiraling out of control.

6. For each NPC you want to recruit beyond the minimum you spend 1 day per NPC level recruiting which you cannot spend doing anything else.

Each influence point of the base score is literally earned a day at a time. Sometimes by making good Leadership checks you can position these new recruits in positions that grant more points than just their level value. So yes you can gain an ungodly number of followers which increases your Leadership score which grants you more followers, but it takes time out of your busy adventuring schedule.

One thing that I have not figure out yet is if a character has modifiers in 2 or more communities how the modifiers stack. A character that I am working on at level 20 has a +4 from his military rank, +4 from his business and +1 from his odd association with the faith of Lathander.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  02:24:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This, from Ed:

You have it right, Gelcur. You ponder well. ;}

As for the stacking: you take the BEST modifier a character has, and to it add +1 for each additional positive modifier, rather than those modifiers themselves.
So, the example Level 20 character you posit has +6.
(+4 is his best modifier, and he gains +1 for each of the other modifiers, for a total of +6)
Yes, it's a clunky system. I'd much rather not have had that sort of "crunch" rules, and instead had roleplaying chains/flow charts...but the editor is in-house, and wins all game rule design decisions.

So saith Ed.
Love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  14:41:15  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, it's a clunky system. I'd much rather not have had that sort of "crunch" rules, and instead had roleplaying chains/flow charts...but the editor is in-house, and wins all game rule design decisions.

A properly crafted model would make it context dependent via weight coefficients.
As in, having good reputation with group X usually matters, but not close to something more relevant (1/3*R.X), when dealing with Y matters as much as with X (1*R.X) and with Z it's a hindrance (-0.5*R.X) or something like this.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2018 :  04:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again to the rescue with answers to me vexing questions. I know Power of Faerun may have had a little more crunch than some would like but I still really enjoyed it. It felt like such a great culmination referencing so many previous things in both "fluff" and "crunch".

A thousand thanks to the both of you. One of these days I must thank you properly in the real world, I'm sure the line wraps around the block to buy the two of you drinks at the cons.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000