Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Mishtar, City of the Dead?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2017 :  22:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone have any lore on a place called Mishtar? I believe it's technically in Mulhorand, especially according to this map I was looking at, which seems to subtitle it as "City of the Dead." Given Mulhorand's identity as an Egypt analogue, I was wondering whether Mishtar might be a Valley of the Kings sort of deal, but I can't find anything on it here, elsewhere online, or in my 2E sourcebooks. Is it just a throwaway POI, or is there something to it?

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2017 :  02:42:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its Mishtan, no 'r'. That may be why you couldn't find info.

I believe it got some (small) coverage in the original Old Empires product, and YES, it is indeed a 'Valley of the Kings' analogue, except its in a more mountainous region (so some tombs could be standing structures in valleys, and others could be complexes carved into the mountains themselves). And although there may be a pyramid or three there, there would also be many other types of tombs and crypts, because the Mulan themselves were a very diverse and mixed amalgam culture.

EDIT:
Oh, and unlike our own RW 'City of the Dead' (we have several, actually), this one may be ancient, but it's a 'living city' of the dead. Its also a temple-city, and their are many priests that live there and take care of the place as well. At least, thats how it was in 1e/2e. Not sure if the Spellplague changed any of that (I would imagine it did, with the return of the Imaskari).

EDIT2:
Seems I was a bit mistaken - they are actually two separate but very close locations - here's the quote from FR10 -

"Near Mishtan is the Land of the Dead, to which thousands of slaves and freemen are brought at flood time to help with the construction of new tombs. Transportation in this region is by horse (for nobles), by river, or by foot (poorly tended roads lie some distance from the river in a parallel course, and a road connects Mishtan and Klondor). At the present time, Klondor is threatened
by an attack of the dreaded Skriaxit (see the scenario "Rage of Dust" in the adventures section)."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2017 02:54:18
Go to Top of Page

Morgan Coldsoul
Acolyte

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  10:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Morgan Coldsoul's Homepage Send Morgan Coldsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I went looking again and was able to find it with the (ahem) correct spelling in Old Empires. I misread the map, apparently, and no doubt it didn't help anyone that the image I linked is for some reason much smaller than when I was looking at it, before. Regardless, I located that quote and the assist is much appreciated. Even if there's nothing else, this gives me enough to decide whether or not it's relevant to my campaign.

In the battle between good and evil...evil gets better clothes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000