Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need help with scheming Zhents
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  17:22:24  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
My party was doing storm giant's thunder (with ultramodern firearms)

I rolled the random Zhent caravan as my party travelled to waterdeep.

My @#$#@$ players, pulled up in a green Studebaker with wood paneling, blew out a carriage wheel, rolled a successful diplomacy check so they didn't attack immediately, repaired the wheel almost as quickly and headed off in their vehicle.

The Zhents, whom probably never even seen an automobile before, were mostly stunned and definitely lower powered then the party.

This is such an out of context problem, I want to start playing the zhents on them, but honestly don't have an idea where to begin so asking here.

I guess I'm asking whom are the big zhent movers and shakers of the north, any ideas of how to exploit this potential new technology for their own schemes and how to generally make my party's lives miserable. :p

edit: here's a link to the last game if you want to review the carnage
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2017/06/storm-giants-shotgun-part-3-better.html

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com

Edited by - shades of eternity on 14 Jun 2017 17:24:02

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  17:40:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shades of eternity

My @#$#@$ players, pulled up in a green Studebaker with wood paneling, blew out a carriage wheel, rolled a successful diplomacy check so they didn't attack immediately, repaired the wheel almost as quickly and headed off in their vehicle.

The Zhents, whom probably never even seen an automobile before, were mostly stunned and definitely lower powered then the party.

Of course they'd never seen an automobile before. The only Studebaker dealership in the Realms is in Lantan, across the road from Crazy Gimblegon's Used Cars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  20:42:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's "Scarface" Manpoon, Mugsy Chembryl, Teldorn "Black Fist" Darkhope, Ashemmi "Sweet Hips" Sarynryllar, Manxam "Manxi Ten Eyes", and Sememmon "Semmy Two Hands"

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  21:44:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best renames ever. :D

Edited by - shades of eternity on 14 Jun 2017 21:53:40
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2017 :  18:16:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would probably go one of two ways.
One, I'd leave it alone. Let the PCs gain say, a level or two, while the Zhents quietly research the technologies they encountered, then have them retaliate with new, improved versions of what the PCs use.

Or play up the trade aspect of the Zhents. After all, I've always viewed them as more a Realms version of the East India Trade Company from Pirates of the Caribbean anyway.
Have them come to the PCs with an offer they can't refuse. The Zhents offer to buy their tech, for a ridiculously generous price. If the PCs agree, after awhile the enemies start to use the same, improved tech against them, because they bought it from Zhents who improved the tech. If the PCs won't deal, send thieves, send hitmen. Anyway, that's my 2cp

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  13:56:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's "Scarface" Manpoon, Mugsy Chembryl, Teldorn "Black Fist" Darkhope, Ashemmi "Sweet Hips" Sarynryllar, Manxam "Manxi Ten Eyes", and Sememmon "Semmy Two Hands"

Oh, and beware.... "Scarface" Manpoon has a magic resistant case of syphyllis he caught off a "silver haired beauty" that was actually a transformed Bheur Hag in "The House of Hoary Whores". Its said the hag was getting revenge for when Manpoon screwed over a coven of Durthans in a business deal (its said he provided a cursed resurrection scroll tainted with blood magic), so the Bheur hag prayed to the Doombringer for righteous vengeance, and Hoar gave her a way to screw him over in return. [):]

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  16:09:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I would probably go one of two ways.
One, I'd leave it alone. Let the PCs gain say, a level or two, while the Zhents quietly research the technologies they encountered, then have them retaliate with new, improved versions of what the PCs use.

Or play up the trade aspect of the Zhents. After all, I've always viewed them as more a Realms version of the East India Trade Company from Pirates of the Caribbean anyway.
Have them come to the PCs with an offer they can't refuse. The Zhents offer to buy their tech, for a ridiculously generous price. If the PCs agree, after awhile the enemies start to use the same, improved tech against them, because they bought it from Zhents who improved the tech. If the PCs won't deal, send thieves, send hitmen. Anyway, that's my 2cp

I'd go for the latter, myself. The Zhents have always been bad guys, but their goal has always been about money and trade. That's easy to forget, considering how readily they've becoming Cobra to the Harpers' GI Joe. (On a similar note, the Harpers are often cast as the GI Joes to Zhentil Keep's Cobra, with a similar loss of their original focus)

Figuring out automobiles would greatly assist trade for whoever had them -- a car can cover in an hour what would take a horse days to travel. Any organization -- not just the Zhents -- that can figure out cars is going to have a huge advantage in trade, simply by being able to get products to market that much faster.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jun 2017 16:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  14:38:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  14:44:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why do I have a Vision of Mad Max now. The Zhents roll up in some big motley collection of vehicles ready to fight! Or Death Race!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2017 :  18:08:05  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ha

my ethical party made contact with the zhents and decided to go into the arms dealing business.

What could possibly go wrong. :p

(feel free to post what could go wrong, preferably in a hillarious manner) :p

quote:

Figuring out automobiles would greatly assist trade for whoever had them -- a car can cover in an hour what would take a horse days to travel. Any organization -- not just the Zhents -- that can figure out cars is going to have a huge advantage in trade, simply by being able to get products to market that much faster.

Yeah

Been having a blast with the storm giant's thunder overhead map and showing the car token move what would normally be days in hours. :D

Edited by - shades of eternity on 22 Jun 2017 18:13:58
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2017 :  00:13:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ha

my ethical party made contact with the zhents and decided to go into the arms dealing business.

What could possibly go wrong. :p

(feel free to post what could go wrong, preferably in a hillarious manner) :p

quote:

Yeah

Been having a blast with the storm giant's thunder overhead map and showing the car token move what would normally be days in hours. :D

Well, if they have Studebakers, they probably have Tommy guns that they brought over. Perhaps the gunpowder so far has been working, but over time the alchemical compounds in the gunpowder become volatile much more quickly in the realms compared to earth.... this in essence means that initially maybe the gunpowder was working, but suddenly, it starts exploding with disastrous results when used... or even just while sitting in a warehouse.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2017 :  18:46:26  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2017/08/storm-giants-shotgun-part-6-dukes-of.html
ha decided to do the following with my conflicting storylines.

firstly for storm giant's thunder
1. ancient fire giants built nefarious machines that they have microed for their minions - a dedicated order of hobgoblins called the flaming femeurs. Partly to test the modern vehicle rules, I had 3 brutal thugs in a pickup (forever referred to by the party as "orange necks" :p). so now the party is nervious as all heck, if this is what the fire giants are making for their minions, what have they been building for themselves (insert evil laugh here).

2. After dropping off a package and deciding to meet again in yartar in about a month, My party ended up in Longsaddle (they are trying to get to the oracle of giants in chapter 4). When they got to The Ivy Mansion, they a single 20 year old teenage son of the current harpnel clan (eli harpnel). Like most kids with the run of the house while their family is off plane, he wants to run a hum dinger of a party.

so my @#$#@4 party sent a message to the zhents to bring women and booze...yesh.

I only want to spend 2-4 hours in game time so open to any and all suggestions on how to make this go wrong, and yet so right. :D.

Edited by - shades of eternity on 21 Aug 2017 18:47:46
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  00:28:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.ca/2017/08/storm-giants-shotgun-part-6-dukes-of.html
ha decided to do the following with my conflicting storylines.

firstly for storm giant's thunder
1. ancient fire giants built nefarious machines that they have microed for their minions - a dedicated order of hobgoblins called the flaming femeurs. Partly to test the modern vehicle rules, I had 3 brutal thugs in a pickup (forever referred to by the party as "orange necks" :p). so now the party is nervious as all heck, if this is what the fire giants are making for their minions, what have they been building for themselves (insert evil laugh here).

2. After dropping off a package and deciding to meet again in yartar in about a month, My party ended up in Longsaddle (they are trying to get to the oracle of giants in chapter 4). When they got to The Ivy Mansion, they a single 20 year old teenage son of the current harpnel clan (eli harpnel). Like most kids with the run of the house while their family is off plane, he wants to run a hum dinger of a party.

so my @#$#@4 party sent a message to the zhents to bring women and booze...yesh.

I only want to spend 2-4 hours in game time so open to any and all suggestions on how to make this go wrong, and yet so right. :D.

succubi

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  05:22:08  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume "Zhents" means the Black Network.

Metal-clad siege machines and armored horses/wagons are almost as good as a Studebaker, readily available, and can be deployed in numbers. Magical chariots and iron golems could also be also available, in limited numbers. So I don't think one metal vehicle would terribly impress the Zhents - it might be decisive in a battle vs one Zhentish caravan/patrol, but it wouldn't do a thing to any real Zhentish military deployment, it could be countered by any spellcaster of middling level (or even by a blown tire and a rust monster), it certainly attracts too much attention.

The Studebaker would be immensely and irresistably fascinating to gnomish tinkers. The Zhents might want to capture it (reasonably) intact to sell/trade to tinkers (in Lantan?) at some outrageous price (in military technology/devices, smokepowder, etc?) but I can't see them otherwise having any real interest in gnomes or in Studebakers.

The "ultramodern firearms" carried by the PCs would interest the Zhents greatly. They're not terribly useful in themselves - enough to arm only one Studebaker-load of warriors? - but they would be greatly useful in terms of technology. Using these 10 guns wouldn't meaningfully assert Zhentish domination in the Realms, but using these 10 guns to build or improve 10,000 guns would. So I think the Zhents would definitely want to obtain these weapons. And I think the Zhents would deploy highly-skilled agents or "small units" (thieves, assassins, mages, etc) to obtain these firearms intact (through outright theft, magical coercion, stealth, deception, infiltration, treachery, discord, and betrayal) rather than attempt to take them by force, it's what they do best. And I think that, once it becomes apparent that these weapons cannot be obtained through normal Zhentish methods, they would rather nuke and disintegrate and dragonfire the weapons (along with the owners) to ensure their total destruction rather than risk ever allowing enemies to use (and duplicate) them instead. See what happens when the PCs are confronted with a few mages (and protection from normal missiles) or priests (and heat metal) plus some in-your-face warriors, beholders, or undead mob.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2017 :  18:32:17  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay posting my draft of what's happening next session and so stealing the ideas above. :D

Eli Harpnel is having a party, but wants women.

My pcs decided to contact the zhents to bring in woman and other guests so they can have one hum dinger of a party.

It needs to
1. run for 2-3 hours of entertainment.
2. has to be a conflict that can be resolved.
3. generally non violent - it's a party not a blood sport.

Tale builder
Questions:
Who's throwing the party or running the gathering? What's their agenda?
Eli Harpell is a teenaged wizard throwing a party. his main purpose is to throw a hum dinger of a party. However, it's not exactly a trap per say, but it will be used to reveal people's agendas in the open.

Where does it take place?
A domed,circular hall, known as the Fuzzy Quarterstaff. It is dominated by a cen- tral hearth and chimney, surrounded by many feasting tables.
There is also a bar, with a background orchestra of magically animated instruments.

The Magical Nature of Ivy Mansion and Fuzzy Quarterstaff:
- everybody is invited by somebody (aka the guest list) so they are not stopped by the wall of force that protects the place. however anybody not invited will be stopped in their tracks by the wall of force.
- the place itself has a sanctuary spell (will dc 16 to negate, but must be rerolled every round). this can be temporary stopped by eli for capture, but it must be nonlethal or the sanctuary spell rengages.k
- they have about a 3 hour window before the parents show up very disapprovingly to ground eli. At that point, all the guests scatter.

Other rooms besides the fuzzy quarterstaff for color purposes.
1. the escape route - a hallway with 10 doors (each numbereD). If boris runs away he will end up here. Roll 1d10 to see which door he is in. If the pcs enter a door, they roll as well to see which door they appear on.
2. The Harpell family is experimenting with shrinking animals to miniature sizes for mass consumption. this room will be filled with minature sheep.
3. I might do the moving stairs and living portraits if I need more wonder.

Who's here that the PC's will absolutely NOT get along with?

Name: Theala Firespur
basic description: A hobgoblin female wizard with entourage
Use: hobgoblin devastator (volo's page 161)
Modifications: A charisma of 16, deception of +6, and a sense motive of +4.
Overall personality: She is surprisingly subdued for a hobgoblin as she's smart enough to not start a fight in a sanctuaried house. however she will belittle those that do not give her the proper respect.
Other notes:
she can be monologue about racism against hobgoblins and as a result, stuff about the great ordining and how it is broken (giving a clue to the party)
- This will introduce a face to the organization the flaming femeur to their would be opponents.

Name: Boris Branhammer
Basic Description: He is a cousin to a major clan leader in miramar.
Use: Bandit Captain
Modifications: see storm giant's thunder, page 114
Overall Personality: He is boastful of his clan and seems like an open book. He will try to out do anybody in dwarf legacy and try to out dwarf even other dwarfs.
Other notes:
This character is actually. Worvil "the Weevil" Forkbeard. He's wanted for wanted for theft and
murder.
He's obviously lying through his teeth, and he'll make a break for it deeper into Ivy Mansion if he can.

Who's here that the PC's already know?

Tweet:
Basic Description: He's an awakened raven and the party's liason to the zhents.
Use: raven (mm page 335)
Modifications: has an int of 14
Overall Personality: Sarcastic and a big of a con man
Other notes:
he was a former apprintice of a zhent head and was transformed into a raven as punishment to show his loyalty and usefulness.
So far, he considers the party better friends then his organization and will twist any order to benefit the party. however he cannot disregard a direct order as he is geased.
The party named him Tweat. Still haven't figured out a proper name.

Who's a neutral party that will likely get in the way?

Eli Harpell
Basic Description: Imagine a 20 something wizard whom is rebelling like a teenager.
Use: Mage (mm page 347)
Modifications: None
Overall personality: He's 20 somethng and horny and it's going to get in the way. He's never done something like this before and is kinda nervous and will start panicing if it goes out of control.

Delicia Whitewinter
Basic Description: A raven haired beauty with a winning smile.
Use: Spy (mm page 349)
Modifications: None
Overall personality: She's a flashy lady that loves to be the life of the party.
Other notes:
- She was sent by the zhents
- they can be equally a pain to the party as much as a defense of their nest egg.
- but she will want dybs on the bounty.
- she's kinda out of her league. but is kinda hoping to charm those there for help.
- tweet knows whom she is, but is magically bound not to tell anybody. however, he will hint.

Wyn Daefaren
Basic description: Legendary Bard of the north:
Use: Bard (Volo's page 211)
Modifications: Fey Ancestry, Trance; darkvision 60ft.; speaks Common and Elvish
Personality: Hippy protestor:
Other notes:
- complaining about the ethical treatment of frogs within the city of long saddle ( they have frog fights not unlike cockfighting with spurs).
- he also is here to protest the Harpnel's development of miniature animals as a food source.

What secrets do the PC's have that might get out at the party? What secrets do others have that the PC's

secrets the pcs have
1. location of stargate to earth
2. location of gnome enclaves (they are tech support)
3. the fact they are against the giants.
4. the fact they are trying to become arms dealers to the zhents.

secrets that the pcs want
1. more about the flaming femurs.
2. Why the giant's are on the rampage.
3. a secret with the zhents that can be used for leverage for future dealing.
4. Boris Branhammer's true identity (and a sizeable bounty).

Go to Top of Page

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2017 :  15:42:59  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for your feedback.

so sicking a succubi when the time is right.

and Ayrik so using your "protection from normal missiles" troops if their relationship goes south. :D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000