Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Princes, Lords, and Dukes of Heaven.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  07:16:38  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How come we don't see much royalty when it comes to the beings of the Heavens? I mean we have Faerie Lords and various Princes of Hell so why not Archangels and other powerful beings?

Also, have there ever been any groups who worshipped angels in the Realms? I was actually thinking about creating such a group.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  23:05:52  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archon_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29#The_Celestial_Hebdomad
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eladrin#The_Court_of_Stars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardinal#Talisid_and_the_Five_Companions
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  23:41:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think it's because most of the good outsiders are servants of deities -- they all serve a higher cause by serving a higher being. Setting themselves up as the ones to be served is the first step towards a much more unpleasant environ.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  02:15:46  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

How come we don't see much royalty when it comes to the beings of the Heavens? I mean we have Faerie Lords and various Princes of Hell so why not Archangels and other powerful beings?

Also, have there ever been any groups who worshipped angels in the Realms? I was actually thinking about creating such a group.

There are a couple of Solars the serve Corellon that get treated like demigods and worshipped.

I can see cults around Empyreans.

I do think there have been some Celestial cults, such as based around Celestial Paragons, although monster, idol, and animal cults are more common.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2017 :  02:21:15  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would think it's because most of the good outsiders are servants of deities -- they all serve a higher cause by serving a higher being. Setting themselves up as the ones to be served is the first step towards a much more unpleasant environ.

You could still have them worship as intermediaries with a higher power, like saints and angels in Christianity are sometimes prayed to
in areas seen as their domain.

And some Celestials don't serve Gods, like the original celestial Elderin serve the court of stars, celestial paragons.

The Archons, Lawful Good Celestials, serve their own celestial paragons, seven of them.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2017 :  18:27:48  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the structure of "Heaven" (I put it in quotations because I mean the goodly planes as a whole) are structured a bit differently, so the hierarchy is different. As Wooly said, most celestials serve the deities. But, as others have pointed out, some of them are powers in their own right. There are likely higher celestials that others answer to. The archons, for example, probably have a hierarchy.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  13:30:13  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Archon's do have a Heirachy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000