Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Cult of the Dragon: An Enemy Within
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  00:11:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One minor little detail of the process for creating a dracolich has long been of interest to me: per The Cult of the Dragon and other sources, the potion that turns a living dragon into a dracolich has only a 50% chance of success. Not only that, but there's a 10% chance that it will outright kill the dragon, without turning the dragon into a dracolich.

It occurs to me that this isn't something the Cult would publicize... And it further occurs to me that odds are that it's happened more than once that a dragon has simply keeled over dead.

And the death of a loved one has always been a great motivator for revenge...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  00:11:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So here's my idea. It's something I'm still working on, as part of an NPC's backstory. All of it, particularly the names, is still tentative.

There used to be this male black dragon named Varanyx. Varanyx was very ambitious, and maybe not quite all there in the head: he had decided that it was his destiny to become a deity.

To that end, he built a cult around himself. Using powerful magic, he appeared to be capable of divine miracles, and that won him a lot of worshipers. Chief among his followers was his half-dragon son Savilar, the product of a liaison between Varanyx and one of his earliest followers.

As Varanyx's cult grew, he eventually came to the attention of the Cult of the Dragon. Several Cult members joined Varanyx's followers, appearing to be faithful members of his flock. In little time, Varanyx's worshippers had been incorporated into the Cult of the Dragon, without realizing the Cult's true goals.

Eventually the Cult revealed its aims to Varanyx, trying to persuade him to become a dracolich. The dragon was immediately convinced this would be the next step towards his apotheosis, and the Cult was careful to encourage this belief. Varanyx shared his decision with Savilar, who was by that time beginning to grow suspicious of the Cult's true motives. Savilar tried in vain to convince his father that the Cult's goals were not those of the dragon, but Varanyx would not listen, and chose to undergo the ritual that would transform him into a dracolich.

Varanyx was one of those 10% for whom this decision was fatal.

Horrified by the death of their "deity," Varanyx's followers turned against the Cult of the Dragon. Many on both sides were slain, but Savilar and a handful of others managed to escape.

These survivors became the core of a new group: the Claws of Varanyx. Dedicated the the destruction of the Cult of the Dragon, the preferred tactic of the Claws is to infiltrate the Cult and sabotage it from within. Members of the Claws will reveal Cult plots to enemies of the Cult, or move against the mercantile interests of Cult members, or sometimes even assassinate prominent Cultists.

The Claws have been destroyed by the Cult several times, and the Cult has tried in vain to expunge all records of the Claws, as well as records of Varanyx and other Cult failings. They have never been wholly successful, though, and years -- sometimes decades -- after the Claws are apparently destroyed, they rise again, gathering the Cult's disaffected and giving them a new goal.

The Claws have had great success in slowing down and stopping Cult activities, but this is largely unknown to the outside world. This is partially due to Cult efforts at stamping out all records of the Claws of Varanyx, and partially because their struggles against the Cult are usually seen as the efforts of other, more known groups like the Harpers or the Zhentarim, or internal schisms within the Cult of the Dragon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  03:07:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this a lot Wooly. For a bit of added spice, maybe the Church of Tiamat - who I can't see being a big fan of the Cult and dracolichs - provides indirect assistance to the Claws and for some of its cells, controls and manipulates activities. Good stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  03:40:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good bit of spice indeed, Krash!

My original idea was a bit smaller in scale for the origin, and somewhat more convoluted -- and I just couldn't spin it quite to my satisfaction.

For some reason, it's been on my mind a lot, of late... And then today, out of the blue, it hit me that it would work so much better as an unwillingly absorbed beast cult.

I was actually driving back from an event at my son's school when it hit me. I love the way that ideas can just sit and percolate in the back of the mind until they suddenly emerge, fully formed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  03:47:32  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also dig this. How far back on the timeline are you thinking Varanyx made his fateful decision?
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
741 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  03:55:16  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm almost afraid to bring it up because it's 5e stuff, but just for the tiny probability you might be interested:

The Cult of Tiamat actually infiltrated the Cult of the Dragon sometime post-Spellplague, and eventually managed to take over the whole network. Their movement was based upon the idea that Sammaster got the translation of the prophecy slightly wrong, and it predicted alive dragons ruling rather than dead ones. The movement became so pervasive that the main speaker for that idea, Severin Silrajin, came to lead the Cult in the 1480s. That movement came to a climax in the Tyranny of Dragons adventure path. The "dracolich cultists" aren't ignored in 5e, they even have their own segment in Tyranny of Dragons. The underlying sentiment of ToD seemed to me to be that Tiamat herself was guiding the subversion of the Cult of the Dragon, and with her defeat at the end of that adventure path and Severin's death, it's likely that the "old school Cult" returns to power.

Not sure if that's of use.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  04:16:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiamat's interest in the Cult dates back to 2E -- it's in the Cult of the Dragon book. Interestingly, Tiamat's church is listed as a rival, because Tiamat's goals are not the goals of Sammaster, and Cult leadership is rather resistant to being replaced. A lot of the rank and file of the Cult, though, are more receptive to a draconic deity.

And as a draconic deity, Tiamat loves to idea of getting hold of dragon-worshipping humans.

If the Church of Tiamat was to learn of the Claws of Varanyx, the Church members would likely steer the Claws towards opposition of those Cultists that would stand in the Church's way.

And as the Claws have more of a reverence for dragons than for dracoliches, the two groups are natural allies. If it wasn't for the fact that the Church of Tiamat had only started infiltrating the Cult after the ToT, then they'd be the perfect angle for the periodic resurrection of the Claws.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  04:24:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I also dig this. How far back on the timeline are you thinking Varanyx made his fateful decision?



I think the Year of the Broken Pillar (1059DR) sounds good. It's after Sammy fell the first time, and it's after Algashon. The Cult is well-established by then, and still growing despite the fact that the original leaders are no longer in the picture. It seems reasonable to me that the subversion of a beast cult could happen in that era.

And 1059 is far enough back that it gives the Claws time to rise and fall multiple times before the ToT -- so a cell of the Claws can be used by DMs in any era from 1E to 5E.

For the Claws, that Broken Pillar would represent Varanyx -- that which supported their beliefs was sundered and fallen.

I'm glad you asked this question, xaeyruudh.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 May 2017 04:27:15
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  09:15:39  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Youve actually got me thinking about the ritual itself now and how there might be variants between the different cults (it being very non uniform in the 1300s) and how other organisations might have influenced the cult and madenthe ritual worse or added other features.


For instance sammaster seeks for dead dragons to rule the world entire in accordance with his mad prophecy. Then he adds in a feature to the ritual which allows the dracoliches to be controlled. That doesnt sound in accordance with his lunacy.
It does however sound exactly like something a priest of Bane would want such as his sidekick (whose name i cant remember).

Now not every cult has access to a copy of the tomes that detail the dracolich creation process. But the moonsea and sembia cults are very prolific, having a number of uber powerful dracoliches at their disposal. The moonsea area is also home to the zhentarim (church of bane link) and manshoon was known to have secret control of a number of cells.
So what if the moonsea dracoliches use tomes secretly penned by manshoon that ultimately allow him to override control of the dracoliches or perhaps even allow him to remove cult control of them

Then we have the church of tiamat who it seems would not want undead dragons so perhaps their influenced cults have a much lower success rate of dracolichea but have a much higher rate of mutating dragons into the new spawn monsters.

Then there is the secret link between algashon and the cult of gargauth (i made a thread on it a while back and THO alluded to some conclusions being valid). So what would the great deceiver's worshipper put into the ritual. Perhaps the control over dracoliches naturally weakens over time so that ultimately all the dracoliches will ultimately break free. Algashon made a bargain with gargauth to allow him to control the dracoliches to help sammasters dream come true and gargauth twisted the deal so that the dracoliches would ultimately be free willed after a century or two and so sammasters dream really would come true as the cult would have no control over its greatest creations.


Just some thoughts. I love intrigue within intrigue.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  09:39:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are canon references to dracolichs the pre-date the formation of the Cult. That would imply that there are various methods of creating them, and that they have been created for differing reasons over the years.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3385 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  09:43:35  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, but just for the cult method and the tome of the dracolich, over the years what non essential pieces might have crept into the ritual that augment or undermine the whole process for nefarious purposes that were not in the best interest of the cult.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  19:24:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liking your core concept for the Claws of Varanyx, Wooly.

Just some ideas to throw out and see if they help you.

Savilar. He's a half dragon... what's his other half? Is he still alive, and if he is, is it because his other half is a long lived race like elf OR because he himself has become undead OR he's used some other means to extend his life.

What happened to Savilar's spirit? I mean the potion that's used to turn them into a dracolich also binds them to a phylactery. What if his spirit is bound there, and it can take over/possess another body....but it has to be the body of his kin.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13801 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  23:03:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think if the dragon (Varanyx) was still around and in the phylactory it would mean the ritual didn't fail, which it did. I like the idea that he is 'trapped' somewhere (maybe the CotD don't even realize what happens to the 'failures'), but to put him in the phylactory is too close to a success, IMO.

I like this, and I might even use it (which is actually saying A LOT, since I never liked the CotD, or anything else draconic, for that matter). I might tie this into the Elsir Vale (Scales of War & Red Hand of Doom), because of the number of half-dragns in the area. My thouhts are that the claws may like to recruit other half-dragons as cell or even regional leaders.

I don't know why Savilar would have to be 'half' of a long-lived race, since dragons are already long-lived. Is there lore to that effect? I'd like him to still be around - he could possibly even (accidentally?) obtain his own demipower (Exarch) status by 5e (some sort of 'half-dragon avenger' type). And then combining this with what I just said above, his 'lieutenants' (of his growing organization) could all be other half-dragons, and possibly a couple of those also lost family members to the cult.

And then you could have the Tiamat's Cult infiltrating it, and some double-agents on both sides (basically, the two are using each other, and both thinks they are the ones 'really in charge').

And maybe a weird half-dragon dracolich triple agent...

Good stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  02:58:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Liking your core concept for the Claws of Varanyx, Wooly.

Just some ideas to throw out and see if they help you.

Savilar. He's a half dragon... what's his other half? Is he still alive, and if he is, is it because his other half is a long lived race like elf OR because he himself has become undead OR he's used some other means to extend his life.


Human or half-elf, most likely. His main function is to have a personal stake in Varanyx's fate, and a desire to do something about Varanyx's untimely demise. I didn't give him much thought beyond that.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas


What happened to Savilar's spirit? I mean the potion that's used to turn them into a dracolich also binds them to a phylactery. What if his spirit is bound there, and it can take over/possess another body....but it has to be the body of his kin.



Here's the numbers from page 103 of Cult of the Dragon:

quote:
01-10 No effect.
11-40 Potion does not work. The dragon suffers 2d12 points of damage and is helpless with convulsions for 1d2 rounds.
41-50 Potion does not work. The dragon dies. A full wish is required to restore the dragon to life. A wish to transform the dragon into a dracolich results in another roll on this table.
51-00 Potion works.


So that 41-50 slot is a permanent death, not a partial success. If it had been a partial success, the Cult could have taken the necessary steps to complete the transition, and then there would be no need for the Claws to form.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 May 2017 03:07:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  03:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think if the dragon (Varanyx) was still around and in the phylactory it would mean the ritual didn't fail, which it did. I like the idea that he is 'trapped' somewhere (maybe the CotD don't even realize what happens to the 'failures'), but to put him in the phylactory is too close to a success, IMO.

I like this, and I might even use it (which is actually saying A LOT, since I never liked the CotD, or anything else draconic, for that matter). I might tie this into the Elsir Vale (Scales of War & Red Hand of Doom), because of the number of half-dragns in the area. My thouhts are that the claws may like to recruit other half-dragons as cell or even regional leaders.

I don't know why Savilar would have to be 'half' of a long-lived race, since dragons are already long-lived. Is there lore to that effect? I'd like him to still be around - he could possibly even (accidentally?) obtain his own demipower (Exarch) status by 5e (some sort of 'half-dragon avenger' type). And then combining this with what I just said above, his 'lieutenants' (of his growing organization) could all be other half-dragons, and possibly a couple of those also lost family members to the cult.

And then you could have the Tiamat's Cult infiltrating it, and some double-agents on both sides (basically, the two are using each other, and both thinks they are the ones 'really in charge').

And maybe a weird half-dragon dracolich triple agent...

Good stuff.



I, personally, don't see Savilar still being around... Though that's really more of a personal preference, and I can't offer any good reasons why he can't still be around. I honestly didn't consider it -- I created him solely to have someone to create the Claws.

I believe there was a ruling in 3E where it was officially stated that, per the rules as written, a half-dragon could become a dracolich. I think this was more of an oversight, though, than a deliberate thing -- the 3E dracolich template said it could be applied to a critter of the dragon subtype, and half-dragons had that subtype.

I personally didn't like that ruling -- it may have been kosher per the RAW, but it certainly went against (what I perceive as) Ed's intent with creating the dracolich.

But a half-dragon lich, with some unique abilities that puts him somewhere between a "regular" lich and a dracolich? That I can get behind.

I'm just really glad that people are digging this idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13801 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  15:35:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if Savilar had 'ascended' (possible during the 'lost century' between editions) as I theorized, then he can both be around, and not be around.

In fact, I think he might even be a little annoyed at his 'accidental ascension' (the size of his group, plus the adulation of his followers, hit 'critical mass' and caused the apotheosis). He may even be growing more popular than Hoar in The North as a 'God of Revenge', so that the Eastern and Western heartlands are split in this regard.

That would place Savilar in a very unenvious position - Hoar is friends with Marduck (Bahamut), and Savilar has been working with Tiamat's followers, so even though Savilar is 'doing good' (fighting the Cult of the Dragon), he would definitely be at constant odds with 'the good guys'.

And whether he's around or not, the reason why I find this so interesting/useful is because we have a group thats obviously 'not good' doing some very good work, which opens up all sorts of juicy possibilities for 'strange bedfellows'. One of my favorite campaigns I ever ran featured the party working for Thay without knowing it, and even when they caught on they continued to do so, because none of what they were doing was actually 'evil'. They were just helping the Thayans with their trade routes (which makes Thay stronger, but trade isn't an evil thing unto itself). Without knowing it, they had come up against the Harpers several times (no-one major or powerful). I love stories lines that are 'shades of grey', rather than just B&W.

EDIT:
And I just realized something for the first time ('all things draconic' probably being my weakest branch of D&D lore knowledge) - the CotD would be enemies with both Bahamut and Tiamat's followers; no wonder they've 'tanked' by 5e (although its easy enough to say they're rebuilding in secret). That's rough, especially with the massive influx of dragonborn post-3e.

I could even possibly see a 'Dragonborn Wars' scenario, with the followers of the two major draconic powers going at each other, and then the two having occasionally work together to get rid of a 'nest' of half-dragons.

How do Dragonborn and half-dragons get along? It might be better (in 5e) to give one group to Bahamut, and the other to Tiamat - its sort of that way now anyway, isn't it? Most of the Dragonborn follow Bahamut, and there's plenty of evidence of most half-dragons favoring Tiamat. The only problem I see there is that half-dragons have sub-types, and Dragonborn do not (AFAIK).

Hmmmmm... I'm trying to turn FR into Krynn, and I don't even like DL.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 21 May 2017 16:05:17
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  16:29:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think if the dragon (Varanyx) was still around and in the phylactory it would mean the ritual didn't fail, which it did. I like the idea that he is 'trapped' somewhere (maybe the CotD don't even realize what happens to the 'failures'), but to put him in the phylactory is too close to a success, IMO.

I like this, and I might even use it (which is actually saying A LOT, since I never liked the CotD, or anything else draconic, for that matter). I might tie this into the Elsir Vale (Scales of War & Red Hand of Doom), because of the number of half-dragns in the area. My thouhts are that the claws may like to recruit other half-dragons as cell or even regional leaders.

I don't know why Savilar would have to be 'half' of a long-lived race, since dragons are already long-lived. Is there lore to that effect? I'd like him to still be around - he could possibly even (accidentally?) obtain his own demipower (Exarch) status by 5e (some sort of 'half-dragon avenger' type). And then combining this with what I just said above, his 'lieutenants' (of his growing organization) could all be other half-dragons, and possibly a couple of those also lost family members to the cult.

And then you could have the Tiamat's Cult infiltrating it, and some double-agents on both sides (basically, the two are using each other, and both thinks they are the ones 'really in charge').

And maybe a weird half-dragon dracolich triple agent...

Good stuff.



Good point on the part about half-dragons and how long they would live. Do we actually have any kind of ruling on that?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2017 :  16:43:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Liking your core concept for the Claws of Varanyx, Wooly.

Just some ideas to throw out and see if they help you.

Savilar. He's a half dragon... what's his other half? Is he still alive, and if he is, is it because his other half is a long lived race like elf OR because he himself has become undead OR he's used some other means to extend his life.


Human or half-elf, most likely. His main function is to have a personal stake in Varanyx's fate, and a desire to do something about Varanyx's untimely demise. I didn't give him much thought beyond that.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas


What happened to Savilar's spirit? I mean the potion that's used to turn them into a dracolich also binds them to a phylactery. What if his spirit is bound there, and it can take over/possess another body....but it has to be the body of his kin.



Here's the numbers from page 103 of Cult of the Dragon:

quote:
01-10 No effect.
11-40 Potion does not work. The dragon suffers 2d12 points of damage and is helpless with convulsions for 1d2 rounds.
41-50 Potion does not work. The dragon dies. A full wish is required to restore the dragon to life. A wish to transform the dragon into a dracolich results in another roll on this table.
51-00 Potion works.


So that 41-50 slot is a permanent death, not a partial success. If it had been a partial success, the Cult could have taken the necessary steps to complete the transition, and then there would be no need for the Claws to form.



Or that 41-50 is some other form of death sometimes and the cult of the dragon just doesn't know it (say 9% true death and 1% is a different sort of "death"). As the spirit is getting transferred to a phylactery SOMETHING happens to it. Maybe it binds to the earth where it died (similar to the everlasting wyrm), and periodically forms a new body. Maybe there's some metaphysical place where these transitioning dracolich souls get sucked to, kind of like vestiges. Maybe as a result, this black dragon can have warlocks which pact to him. Remember the 3e dragon magic supplement and its dragonfire adepts that were a conversion somewhat of warlocks... it would fit this type of scenario.

Maybe the dragon relays that its suffering wherever its soul is entrapped, and this is why the claws hate the cultists.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Senior Scribe

418 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  04:49:07  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I miss the days when Tiamat and Bahamut weren't the only members of the draconic pantheon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  04:39:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading thru this again, it makes sense to have Savilar still around in some format... It wasn't something I considered, originally -- Savilar existed to found the Claws, and then was no longer necessary. But if he is still around, he can reform the Claws and continue to drive them.

Of course, the question then becomes how is he still around?

Options:

1) He's still alive, and in his original body. Maybe half-dragons live a long time, maybe's he's part elf, maybe he's become a wizard, since they are known for living for a good long while.
This is perhaps the easiest solution.

2) He's still alive, but only because he found some way to switch bodies.
It makes re-infiltrating the Cult easier for him, but body-jumping really requires its own backstory, and is better as a hook for an NPC to be built around, thinks I. (Coincidentally, that is something I've been fiddling with, for another NPC)

3) He's undead.
This is a fairly easy solution, too. I'd likely make him something unique, though.

4) He's gone the way of Myrkul and some original Netherese: his mind is now in some inanimate object, and it's from within that object that he directs his efforts against the Cult.
At the moment, I'm kind of favoring this one, simply because it strikes me as the most interesting idea. Perhaps Savilar was a wizard, put a lot of power into a unique staff, and when he died anchored his consciousness to it. Over the years, the staff's wielder has been considered the leader of that itineration of the Claws -- no one has yet realized that this nifty staff is more than just a tool or symbol of office.
This does pose another question, though: does the staff dominate its wielder, or just push them in a particular direction, or does it depend on the wielder?

Thoughts?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  14:19:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Reading thru this again, it makes sense to have Savilar still around in some format... It wasn't something I considered, originally -- Savilar existed to found the Claws, and then was no longer necessary. But if he is still around, he can reform the Claws and continue to drive them.

Of course, the question then becomes how is he still around?

Options:

1) He's still alive, and in his original body. Maybe half-dragons live a long time, maybe's he's part elf, maybe he's become a wizard, since they are known for living for a good long while.
This is perhaps the easiest solution.

2) He's still alive, but only because he found some way to switch bodies.
It makes re-infiltrating the Cult easier for him, but body-jumping really requires its own backstory, and is better as a hook for an NPC to be built around, thinks I. (Coincidentally, that is something I've been fiddling with, for another NPC)

3) He's undead.
This is a fairly easy solution, too. I'd likely make him something unique, though.

4) He's gone the way of Myrkul and some original Netherese: his mind is now in some inanimate object, and it's from within that object that he directs his efforts against the Cult.
At the moment, I'm kind of favoring this one, simply because it strikes me as the most interesting idea. Perhaps Savilar was a wizard, put a lot of power into a unique staff, and when he died anchored his consciousness to it. Over the years, the staff's wielder has been considered the leader of that itineration of the Claws -- no one has yet realized that this nifty staff is more than just a tool or symbol of office.
This does pose another question, though: does the staff dominate its wielder, or just push them in a particular direction, or does it depend on the wielder?

Thoughts?



I'd agree #4 is probably the most interesting. What's the inanimate object? Why his father's phylactery of course (which is mounted on the head of his favorite magical staff). Why would he form a bond with the object which led to his father's death?

What if as I proposed, something went disastrously wrong with Varanyx's transformation, and he ended up a "spirit locked away in the great beyond" (aka a vestige). So, then what if Savilar was able to contact his father by studying some strange arts of an ancient order of pact magic users, forbidden studies performed by some members of the Theurgist Adepts. What if he got ahold of his father's phylactery and realized it could function as a vestige phylactery.

So, Savilar becomes a powerful "theurgist adept"/"anima mage" or whatever you want to term it. Basically combining the powers of a "binder" and a sorcerer. He eventually gets the idea that he can free his father from where he's entrapped IF he gets another dragon of the same type as his father, pulls his fathers spirit into the vestige phylactery, and then performs a complex ritual using his own life force as a conduit to transfer his father into the other dragon. Something goes a bit wrong. Savilar is entrapped in the phylactery, his father is still a vestige, BUT Savilar can try and possess beings of draconic blood similar to a magic jar effect... by allowing his father, Varanyx, to escape his bonds and take over the draconic being. This allows Varanyx to possess half dragons and/or dragons (or other draconic beings), and maybe even Varanyx is still trying to get "worshippers" via this method by offering them power(though by worshippers it usually ends up being warlocks who act like 3e binders with the whole drawing the sigil of Varanyx, etc..).

Meanwhile, in addition to Varanyx possessing draconic beings, perhaps Savilar can attempt to dominate any individual holding his staff to lead the Claws of Savilar. In doing this, it actually puts both of your NPC's still to use.

Note, if you do go this method (and I know you won't Wooly since you don't use 5e), but for those that like this idea and would like to use it with 5e, check our my Complete Red Book of Spell Strategy on DMs Guild. I made rules for Occultist binders, and the one thing I didn't like about the 3.5 binders was the idea that you had to keep changing out which vestiges you bound as you leveled. I'd prefer that you could have a cult of binders that all bind a similar entity but the cultists own personal power determines how much they're able to draw from the vestige. Thus, all vestiges can be of use, and you just write up the story that you want to go along with said vestige and if you're getting to a high level of detail use of a particular vestige, also write up what powers he will offer at varying points.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RDS
Seeker

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  15:46:10  Show Profile Send RDS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts on what happens with the 10% that die is their spirits go to Gargauth for plans he may have set in motion (I haven't got any ideas yet on what that might be). I consider this after reading Sleyvas' idea that 1% go elsewhere. Yet why make it just 1%. Dead is dead, the spirit is gone on to Gargauth and the draconic deities lose out.

For an object of power I was thinking a bit literally into the "Claws of Varanyx". Perhaps Savilar took his fathers claws and fashioned them into a physical tool(s). Each of the claws could have been turned into daggers or staff toppings for the groups members. He might even be able to jump from one item to the other at will now.

Or Salivar could have had his own claws removed just before death and fashioned into a receptacle for his might. With regenerative magic this wouldn't be very debilitating. You could still use the original phylactery but I can't see Savilar keeping something he would likely despise yet I could see it being an easier means of mind holding having been prepared for his sire.

RDS
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  16:40:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RDS

My thoughts on what happens with the 10% that die is their spirits go to Gargauth for plans he may have set in motion (I haven't got any ideas yet on what that might be). I consider this after reading Sleyvas' idea that 1% go elsewhere. Yet why make it just 1%. Dead is dead, the spirit is gone on to Gargauth and the draconic deities lose out.

For an object of power I was thinking a bit literally into the "Claws of Varanyx". Perhaps Savilar took his fathers claws and fashioned them into a physical tool(s). Each of the claws could have been turned into daggers or staff toppings for the groups members. He might even be able to jump from one item to the other at will now.

Or Salivar could have had his own claws removed just before death and fashioned into a receptacle for his might. With regenerative magic this wouldn't be very debilitating. You could still use the original phylactery but I can't see Savilar keeping something he would likely despise yet I could see it being an easier means of mind holding having been prepared for his sire.



I like the idea of Varanyx removing his own claw, regenerating it back, and then using the removed claw to make his phylactery. It would very much fit with the type of magic involved. I also like the idea of Savilar taking the claws, teeth, spines, horns, scales, and maybe even bones of his father and using them to make dragon-related magic items. Spears, axes, staves, wands, daggers, shields, etc... might all come from this stuff.

Ooo, and since we're talking about Varanyx regenerating his claws... I've got a very cool picture in mind where Varanyx actually made his phylactery from four of his claws, set in adamantine at their bases, and then pulled out his own eye and had it petrified magically and place between the tips of all 4 claws. He then regenerated all of these (because he was wearing a ring of regeneration). Savilar then mounts then whole conglomeration upon a femur of his father's body, making a staff.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Jun 2017 16:55:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  16:44:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Reading thru this again, it makes sense to have Savilar still around in some format... It wasn't something I considered, originally -- Savilar existed to found the Claws, and then was no longer necessary. But if he is still around, he can reform the Claws and continue to drive them.

Of course, the question then becomes how is he still around?

Options:

1) He's still alive, and in his original body. Maybe half-dragons live a long time, maybe's he's part elf, maybe he's become a wizard, since they are known for living for a good long while.
This is perhaps the easiest solution.

2) He's still alive, but only because he found some way to switch bodies.
It makes re-infiltrating the Cult easier for him, but body-jumping really requires its own backstory, and is better as a hook for an NPC to be built around, thinks I. (Coincidentally, that is something I've been fiddling with, for another NPC)

3) He's undead.
This is a fairly easy solution, too. I'd likely make him something unique, though.

4) He's gone the way of Myrkul and some original Netherese: his mind is now in some inanimate object, and it's from within that object that he directs his efforts against the Cult.
At the moment, I'm kind of favoring this one, simply because it strikes me as the most interesting idea. Perhaps Savilar was a wizard, put a lot of power into a unique staff, and when he died anchored his consciousness to it. Over the years, the staff's wielder has been considered the leader of that itineration of the Claws -- no one has yet realized that this nifty staff is more than just a tool or symbol of office.
This does pose another question, though: does the staff dominate its wielder, or just push them in a particular direction, or does it depend on the wielder?

Thoughts?



I'd agree #4 is probably the most interesting. What's the inanimate object? Why his father's phylactery of course (which is mounted on the head of his favorite magical staff). Why would he form a bond with the object which led to his father's death?

What if as I proposed, something went disastrously wrong with Varanyx's transformation, and he ended up a "spirit locked away in the great beyond" (aka a vestige). So, then what if Savilar was able to contact his father by studying some strange arts of an ancient order of pact magic users, forbidden studies performed by some members of the Theurgist Adepts. What if he got ahold of his father's phylactery and realized it could function as a vestige phylactery.

So, Savilar becomes a powerful "theurgist adept"/"anima mage" or whatever you want to term it. Basically combining the powers of a "binder" and a sorcerer. He eventually gets the idea that he can free his father from where he's entrapped IF he gets another dragon of the same type as his father, pulls his fathers spirit into the vestige phylactery, and then performs a complex ritual using his own life force as a conduit to transfer his father into the other dragon. Something goes a bit wrong. Savilar is entrapped in the phylactery, his father is still a vestige, BUT Savilar can try and possess beings of draconic blood similar to a magic jar effect... by allowing his father, Varanyx, to escape his bonds and take over the draconic being. This allows Varanyx to possess half dragons and/or dragons (or other draconic beings), and maybe even Varanyx is still trying to get "worshippers" via this method by offering them power(though by worshippers it usually ends up being warlocks who act like 3e binders with the whole drawing the sigil of Varanyx, etc..).

Meanwhile, in addition to Varanyx possessing draconic beings, perhaps Savilar can attempt to dominate any individual holding his staff to lead the Claws of Savilar. In doing this, it actually puts both of your NPC's still to use.

Note, if you do go this method (and I know you won't Wooly since you don't use 5e), but for those that like this idea and would like to use it with 5e, check our my Complete Red Book of Spell Strategy on DMs Guild. I made rules for Occultist binders, and the one thing I didn't like about the 3.5 binders was the idea that you had to keep changing out which vestiges you bound as you leveled. I'd prefer that you could have a cult of binders that all bind a similar entity but the cultists own personal power determines how much they're able to draw from the vestige. Thus, all vestiges can be of use, and you just write up the story that you want to go along with said vestige and if you're getting to a high level of detail use of a particular vestige, also write up what powers he will offer at varying points.



It remains my preference that Varanyx is fully dead and gone; it is my opinion that Savilar's drive for revenge against the Cult would be strongest if there isn't a possibility of his father's recall.

Though Varanyx's intended phylactery could indeed be incorporated into the staff; I do like that idea.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5643 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2017 :  16:57:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Reading thru this again, it makes sense to have Savilar still around in some format... It wasn't something I considered, originally -- Savilar existed to found the Claws, and then was no longer necessary. But if he is still around, he can reform the Claws and continue to drive them.

Of course, the question then becomes how is he still around?

Options:

1) He's still alive, and in his original body. Maybe half-dragons live a long time, maybe's he's part elf, maybe he's become a wizard, since they are known for living for a good long while.
This is perhaps the easiest solution.

2) He's still alive, but only because he found some way to switch bodies.
It makes re-infiltrating the Cult easier for him, but body-jumping really requires its own backstory, and is better as a hook for an NPC to be built around, thinks I. (Coincidentally, that is something I've been fiddling with, for another NPC)

3) He's undead.
This is a fairly easy solution, too. I'd likely make him something unique, though.

4) He's gone the way of Myrkul and some original Netherese: his mind is now in some inanimate object, and it's from within that object that he directs his efforts against the Cult.
At the moment, I'm kind of favoring this one, simply because it strikes me as the most interesting idea. Perhaps Savilar was a wizard, put a lot of power into a unique staff, and when he died anchored his consciousness to it. Over the years, the staff's wielder has been considered the leader of that itineration of the Claws -- no one has yet realized that this nifty staff is more than just a tool or symbol of office.
This does pose another question, though: does the staff dominate its wielder, or just push them in a particular direction, or does it depend on the wielder?

Thoughts?



I'd agree #4 is probably the most interesting. What's the inanimate object? Why his father's phylactery of course (which is mounted on the head of his favorite magical staff). Why would he form a bond with the object which led to his father's death?

What if as I proposed, something went disastrously wrong with Varanyx's transformation, and he ended up a "spirit locked away in the great beyond" (aka a vestige). So, then what if Savilar was able to contact his father by studying some strange arts of an ancient order of pact magic users, forbidden studies performed by some members of the Theurgist Adepts. What if he got ahold of his father's phylactery and realized it could function as a vestige phylactery.

So, Savilar becomes a powerful "theurgist adept"/"anima mage" or whatever you want to term it. Basically combining the powers of a "binder" and a sorcerer. He eventually gets the idea that he can free his father from where he's entrapped IF he gets another dragon of the same type as his father, pulls his fathers spirit into the vestige phylactery, and then performs a complex ritual using his own life force as a conduit to transfer his father into the other dragon. Something goes a bit wrong. Savilar is entrapped in the phylactery, his father is still a vestige, BUT Savilar can try and possess beings of draconic blood similar to a magic jar effect... by allowing his father, Varanyx, to escape his bonds and take over the draconic being. This allows Varanyx to possess half dragons and/or dragons (or other draconic beings), and maybe even Varanyx is still trying to get "worshippers" via this method by offering them power(though by worshippers it usually ends up being warlocks who act like 3e binders with the whole drawing the sigil of Varanyx, etc..).

Meanwhile, in addition to Varanyx possessing draconic beings, perhaps Savilar can attempt to dominate any individual holding his staff to lead the Claws of Savilar. In doing this, it actually puts both of your NPC's still to use.

Note, if you do go this method (and I know you won't Wooly since you don't use 5e), but for those that like this idea and would like to use it with 5e, check our my Complete Red Book of Spell Strategy on DMs Guild. I made rules for Occultist binders, and the one thing I didn't like about the 3.5 binders was the idea that you had to keep changing out which vestiges you bound as you leveled. I'd prefer that you could have a cult of binders that all bind a similar entity but the cultists own personal power determines how much they're able to draw from the vestige. Thus, all vestiges can be of use, and you just write up the story that you want to go along with said vestige and if you're getting to a high level of detail use of a particular vestige, also write up what powers he will offer at varying points.



It remains my preference that Varanyx is fully dead and gone; it is my opinion that Savilar's drive for revenge against the Cult would be strongest if there isn't a possibility of his father's recall.

Though Varanyx's intended phylactery could indeed be incorporated into the staff; I do like that idea.



Understood, and read my edit on the post above. I think you may like the visual, or maybe you can even improve upon it.

Oh, and while I understand you don't want the father back to life... consider the option of him as a vestige, even if you don't want to let him fully possess people. It may very well drive Savilar if he knows his father's soul is stuck in a place of darkness and suffering. The idea that he can give his father at least some relief by letting him "ride" his consciousness may actually fuel Savilar's anger at the cult.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 12 Jun 2017 17:01:08
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  02:18:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ooo, and since we're talking about Varanyx regenerating his claws... I've got a very cool picture in mind where Varanyx actually made his phylactery from four of his claws, set in adamantine at their bases, and then pulled out his own eye and had it petrified magically and place between the tips of all 4 claws. He then regenerated all of these (because he was wearing a ring of regeneration). Savilar then mounts then whole conglomeration upon a femur of his father's body, making a staff.



It's a nifty visual, but the gig of making a dragon's eye into some sort of magical device has already been done, in the Realms.

I really like the idea of Savilar being in a staff, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a cool visual that hasn't been done before -- and that's tricky, considering the popularity of staves in the hands of wizards and spellcasters, in various media.

I may have to go with something other than a staff, just to have some degree of originality.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000