Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Traveler's dust
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redking
Seeker

36 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  11:17:34  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are the stats for Traveler's dust, the narcotic used by the protagonist in Plague of Spells?

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Traveler's_dust

Clearly in addition to getting high, there are some other benefits to using it. For example, the dust seemed to fortify the warlock abilities of Japheth Donard.

If there are no stats, would anyone care to speculate on what the stats could be?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6239 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2016 :  01:17:22  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That wiki article appears to summarize what is known of Traveler's dust. And it keeps citing Plague of Spells as the only canon source.

It was used as a plot device in a novel, which is to say it had whatever stats and effects were needed to drive the character or the story.

I doubt WotC would ever publish game rules about it because they tend to scrupulously avoid encouraging things like pumping your character abilities up with addictive and narcotic substances.

It "seemed to fortify the warlock abilities of Japheth Donard" ... was this from Japheth's point of view or from another's? Was he perhaps using this substance because the fiend/pact/whatever providing his warlock abilities was trying to corrupt him? It could easily have been hallucinogenic or euphoric substance providing Japheth with the illusion of greater ability, it could indeed have augmented his power, it could just as easily have a debilitating effect which diminishes or suppresses his power until the next time he uses it.

I note it is described as a deadly drug. "Anyone using traveler's dust showed these telltale signs: trembling hands, sometimes slurred speech, and—most telling—eyes the color of blood. All who used the drug eventually died." I would say the drug inflicts increasingly negative penalties on the user's warlock powers (and physical and mental powers) but these penalties can be ignored while the user gets another high.

You could offer positive or bonus stats, probably those which would most interest a warlock. But I think all bonuses would be lost and many penalties would gradually accumulate once the user becomes addicted.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000