Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Deaths of Elminster
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:14:13  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all. Can someone please explain to me why El turns into magic dust that he can possess people with rather than die?

Not too long ago I finished the Sage of Shadowdale trilogy, and I don't think it was ever really explained fully within those books, but he does it an awful lot. Then in Death Masks...

Spoilers (highlight to read):
Laeral too is somehow able to come back from the dead, presumably using a similar method.

Has this ever been fully explained? Or was there something I missed within those tomes?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  00:34:59  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he only needs to posses other bodies after the spellplague, because Mystra's powers and his by extension are weakened and so he can't restore his current one like he did (Mystra did for him) in Elminster in Myth Drannor.
As for why he doesn't just die, he probably feels like there is more that he needs to do.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  01:23:20  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that is true and recognized, but I was more hoping for an explanation of how he is capable of doing such a thing.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  03:26:05  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was a weave spirit - souls that are tied to the Weave. Twin that with being a Weave Master and he is far from helpless.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  03:29:55  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Is there a source I can read about weave spirits? I'm considering running a campaign in Waterdeep starting off in parallel to the events of Death Masks, so it would be good to know how it all happens.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  06:04:40  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nope..... though that seven sisters 1 or 2e splat might . But as far as I know there is none.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2016 :  08:42:07  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On further investigation the case in Death Masks is presaged by a section on what happens to the Seven Sisters when they die:

quote:
All of Mystra’s born Chosen— the Seven— wear out their distinctive silver-haired bodies over time. Centuries, but eventually the crumbling began in earnest. Then they must take new ones from others as Elminster did, an ethical choice none of them preferred, or return to the Weave and await Mystra “mothering” a new body for them, or put more and more of their energies into maintaining either their magic or their bodies.

This doesn't entirely explain the ashes Elminster turns into, but it helps give a bit of insight. Perhaps the ash is merely something his own presence in the Weave is tied to somehow.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  11:23:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21211&SearchTerms=weave+spirit
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2016 :  11:29:20  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weave spirits have about half a dozen mentions here. Search for the phrase and you'll find them. Short story though, there is no huge info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000