Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Zhents of of DR 1490?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  00:37:52  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
so, I know publicly they're a mercenary company with deals on the side etc. but do we know anything more about the Zhents in 5th edition? they still up to no good? closely afflicated with the church of Bane? what do we know?

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  04:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pereghost is supposedly the top dog, according to the Sword Coast Adventurers guide. I believe I recall that same source hinting that one of the beholders from the hierarchy chart in the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box set -Manxam? - is the real power there.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 13 Jun 2016 04:44:12
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  06:06:52  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall any sign of implication of beholders but my realms lore is pretty small compared to many peoples so I may easily have missed what might be an obvious sign to someone else. honestly the overall feel I get from them, given their "the zhents are your family etc" is that they're sort of being positioned as I dunno.. the Mafia of the realms. I was hoping a recent novel or adventure may have shed a bit more light on them
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  14:18:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers for Death Masks (I think). They seem to be trying to control some nobles and guilds of Waterdeep in Death Masks, and to be involved in some way in the recent murder mystery. But I haven't finished the book yet, so take this with a grain of salt.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 13 Jun 2016 14:22:53
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  22:23:14  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's good to hear if they're involved that way. truth be told given their status as a adventurer's league faction and the SCAB write up, I was worried that the realms might have lost a baddy :)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  03:27:38  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BrianDavion

I don't recall any sign of implication of beholders but my realms lore is pretty small compared to many peoples so I may easily have missed what might be an obvious sign to someone else. honestly the overall feel I get from them, given their "the zhents are your family etc" is that they're sort of being positioned as I dunno.. the Mafia of the realms. I was hoping a recent novel or adventure may have shed a bit more light on them

The SCAG notes that rumors of another leader at Darkhold may exist on page 79 under "Denizens of Darkhold," and names that power as Manxam. It does not use the word beholder, or any simile for beholder. However, if you check the Forgotten Realms wiki and the old Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set, the name used in the SCAG is the same as the name used for a Beholder on the chart on page 32 of the Campaign Book in the boxed set.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  10:14:11  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah I caught it while giving it another read through tonight, good eye.

over all my gut feeling is the Zhents may have a new respectable front, but underneath they're still the rotters we love to hate

Edited by - BrianDavion on 14 Jun 2016 10:15:09
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2016 :  17:02:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note of interest, and question for others that do Adventurers League stuff.
I have just started reading Death Masks, and it mentions that the Zhents are back in Zhentil Keep. Do we know when that took place? Is this the first we've heard of that, or has an AL adventure covered it?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000