Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reeshov ... a free community lead by Grimlocks!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  20:30:03  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've had a recent surge of interest in the Grimlocks of the Forgotten Realms. While this Underdark race has always fascinated me, these 2 book quotes are responsible for my amped-up research desires.

1. (3.5 Underdark pg. 119) "Reeshov, the community of Free Grimlocks within the Fingerhome ..."

2. (TGHotR pg. 137) "1330 DR - Year of the Marching Moon: Lizardfolk and troglodytes join the grimlock population of Reeshov after being freed from mind flayer control."

So this poly-cultural village called Reeshove sounds intriguing. A search here at Candlekeep brings up no references, oddly enough. Yet the thought of a village populated with some of the less-advanced & evil Underdark races is a compelling one. Especially if this village is thriving via typical village cooperative/collaborative dynamics in some fashion. By the sounds of it, Reeshove is probably surrounded by a plethora of enslavement-happy enemies like Illithids, Drow, Aboleth, etc.

So this is why I'm coming to all of you. :-) I would like to:

1) ...Properly locate Reeshove within this Fingerhome place. In my campaign, I will move it into the Deep Wastes near Daggerdale/Shadowdale. But I'd like to know where it is exactly.

2) ...Know if anybody else has any other canon or official lore about Reeshove through game sourcebooks, novels, whatever.

3) ...Obtain creative help in homebrewing some lore ideas and village structure on this fascinating "village of misfit survivors".

===========

If any of you would be willing to help in any of these endeavours (or provide some insight or dialogue), I'm all ears! And I'd be quite thankful. While pan-racial villages of this sort seem more common aboveground, the sheer, stark xenophobic fear of Underdark races makes a village concept like this much more rare.

Thanks for your time! :-)

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  00:30:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fingerhome is a cavern complex located in the Lowerdark beneath the Serpent Hills. By far the most information on the place is in Underdark p170-171. I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned before then and only briefly gets a mention in the Player's Guide to Faerun and, as you stated, the Grand History.

The Web Enhancement for that splatbook adds that Reeshov is connected to the Lost Mines of Mardaruk which was part of the dwarven kingdom of Xonathanur.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  00:39:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hashimashadoo is right. Reeshov was new for the 3E Underdark accessory.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  01:15:30  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was a minor tag add on, to honor one of the test groups who had created it. Was a rather unique adventure that sadly failed to be published.
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2015 :  22:05:30  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys. I'll check out that Web Enhancement as well.

Just to note, the link I'm providing here shows a DM who homebrewed a more fleshed-out version of Reenove. And she did a fabulous job! Even though it is approximately a page in length, she detailed all the unique demographic factions and the general outlay of the village's structure/appearance. And most of all, I like how she outlined the Social Compact and governance aspects of the village that accurately depicted the various races' evil alignments ... yet simultaneously made it viable for the community to have collaborative fulfillment and progress.

http://fallenwest.proboards.com/thread/34/reeshov

----

On a related tangent, I found an interesting quote by Eric L. Boyd located here - http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6554&SearchTerms=grimlock,under,destiny ...

In essence, saying that if he could press the reset button, he would've had the 2 lost Uthgardt tribes (Red Pony & Golden Eagle) eventually morph into the Underfolk race (from Races of Destiny) instead of Grimlocks. I completely agree with Eric. And I will make those changes in my F.R. Campaign World immediately. It's too much of a stretch to think that those 2 tribes would've lost their eyes and had such a massive physical reconstruction in just 800 (+/-) years time. Besides, a close read of the Underfolks characteristics have a better fluff-&-crunch matchup to human barbarian tribes anyway.

Edited by - Snow on 25 Jun 2015 22:06:11
Go to Top of Page

tmcvicar2
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2021 :  18:58:43  Show Profile Send tmcvicar2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The web enhancement doesn't say the Lost Mines of Maraduk is connected to Reesho. It says the Escaped Slave encampment is.

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Fingerhome is a cavern complex located in the Lowerdark beneath the Serpent Hills. By far the most information on the place is in Underdark p170-171. I'm not sure if it's ever mentioned before then and only briefly gets a mention in the Player's Guide to Faerun and, as you stated, the Grand History.

The Web Enhancement for that splatbook adds that Reeshov is connected to the Lost Mines of Mardaruk which was part of the dwarven kingdom of Xonathanur.

Ancestors could hear
What is happening now
They would turn in their graves
They would all be ashamed
That the land of the free
Has been written in chains
And I know what I want
When the timing is right
Then I'll take what is mine
I am the clansman

Iron Maiden "The Clansman"
Go to Top of Page