Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Scourge of the Swordcoast
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  21:50:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Linky to WotC

Just read about this elsewhere; anyone want to speculate what this might be? What 'the Scourge' could be? I'm sure its a sundering tie-in (perhaps a prequel), but has anyone heard anything specific?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  22:25:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well El comes to mind, maybe others of the Chosen.

What I find interesting is the claim
quote:
Next playtest rules needed to play the adventure will be included, though Scourge of the Sword Coast can be played with any D&D rules set.

I might explore idea of BD&D rule set working without major DM adjustment.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  01:20:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was pretty excited by that part as well.

If you don't take PF player's ability to use their rules of choice, there is a very good chance that a lot of those folks will 'discover' (rediscover?) FR, now that Golarion isn't the 'new shiny' anymore.

If it truly is rules-neutral, then this is a brilliant strategy on their part (and one I was starting to worry about for awhile there).

Kudos

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2014 01:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  16:16:53  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the rules-neutral idea was going to be a dud - especially after Murder in Baldur's Gate which I thought was crap (IMO; YMMV) - but Legacy of the Crystal Shard made me a convert to the idea; I really enjoyed it even though my ruleset of choice is 4E. This could indeed work.

One major advantage that Golarion has had in its first five years compared to the Realms at the same point is that Paizo is giving it a tighter editorial line. You're not seeing products that are abominations like slade's collection of bad puns that was the Netheril boxed set, or some of the other rubbish where a FR logo was slapped on to sub-standard work.

But Golarion, IMO, is lacking Ed's genius - and I use that word in the literal sense. Let's hope some Golarion fans become converts to FR in the new edition. :)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  17:39:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But enough FR alumni have worked on Golarion to give it a similar feel. 'cut from the same cloth', if you will. In fact, when reading through their campaign guide, it almost felt like Golarion is a 're-imagined' Forgotten Realms. They just juggled some of the lore around so as not to be as derivative as it is (or, as I feel it is).

Its like someone took a brief snyopsis of the Realms (written by Ed, before t was published), and ran in other directions with stuff. Then again, I say the same thing about Eberron. It feels like someone (named Baker) took the Witchfire trilogy and fleshed it all out for his own homebrew... and then a few years later Privateer Press did the same thing (because they actually owned it) and made The iron Kingdoms. On some levels, the settings are practically identical (draco-lich governed pirates, anyone?)

But whatever - it seems that the more I hear, and the more they are refining it, the more I am becoming a fan of 5e. I hope it lives up to my expectations. The rules don't matter to me - its how they treat (or mistreat) The Forgotten Realms, that will be the deal-breaker (or maker) for me.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jan 2014 17:40:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000