Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 "The Godborn" -- Prologue & Chapters 1 - 5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  03:14:26  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Godborn (part of "The Sundering" saga), by Paul S. Kemp. Please discuss the Prologue and chapters 1 - 5 herein.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  11:11:17  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Last page on chapter 1: who is the mysterious "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill?

Did I miss something or is it left unclear who it was? Could he be a character (chosen?/god?) important for later events in the Sundering?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2013 :  23:01:49  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Last page on chapter 1: who is the mysterious "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill?

Did I miss something or is it left unclear who it was? Could he be a character (chosen?/god?) important for later events in the Sundering?


Very good question.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  07:56:22  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Last page on chapter 1: who is the mysterious "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill?

Did I miss something or is it left unclear who it was? Could he be a character (chosen?/god?) important for later events in the Sundering?



There is probably a missed story behind it when the series got shortened to one book.
Originally I felt this was Orsin, because of the physical description, but then the grinning and book with a quill did not feel like him.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  20:02:06  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome


There is probably a missed story behind it when the series got shortened to one book.



That's another possibility!

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome


Originally I felt this was Orsin, because of the physical description, but then the grinning and book with a quill did not feel like him.



That were my thoughts as well.

-- Still, I think there is a good chance that it is a hint at events to come...
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
483 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2013 :  21:14:47  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was orsin too because of the description.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  15:37:59  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here is what Mr Kemp said in his author thread:

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!



Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.



Just what I suspected :)

Some very heavy speculation: someone who has something to do with Deneir? In any case, I certainly hope that the Lord of All Glyphs and Images will return.

Edit: Has anyone spotted 'him' in "The Companions"? I haven't read "The Adversary" yet but suspect that 'he' makes an appearance at least there.

Edited by - Thieran on 15 Dec 2013 15:39:50
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2013 :  19:10:41  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran


Here is what Mr Kemp said in his author thread:

quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!



Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.



Just what I suspected :)

Some very heavy speculation: someone who has something to do with Deneir? In any case, I certainly hope that the Lord of All Glyphs and Images will return.

Edit: Has anyone spotted 'him' in "The Companions"? I haven't read "The Adversary" yet but suspect that 'he' makes an appearance at least there.



I don't recall seeing this "man" in "The Companions" and I may read it again before delving into "The Godborn" and "The Adversary" (trying to find "Shadowrealm" before starting "The Godborn"). I think if this "man" made a brief appearance in the first book, it would have been questioned already.

As for Deneir, I have a hard time wondering why this particular deity would have an interest in Magadon. IMHO, with wording like "struck Magadon odd" and "something about the man" and "goose pimples rose out of Magadon's skin" makes me think he's had a run in with this thing in the past. I have not yet read "Shadowrealm" yet, but could this character be the remains of his devilish self after the run in with his father in "Shadowbred"?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000