Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Venger stats?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  00:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Does anyone know where I can find the stats for Venger? Not sure if this is where I should put this, but here

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  00:45:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Who? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  00:49:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume he's asking about Venger... from the old D&D Cartoon?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  00:55:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I assume he's asking about Venger... from the old D&D Cartoon?

Ah, never saw it. Waiting for the dvds. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

AlacLuin
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  01:45:28  Show Profile  Visit AlacLuin's Homepage Send AlacLuin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the collecter set of DVDs is said to contain the stats for Venger, along with the other charicters.

So, we will not know what they are untill the DVDs come out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  04:55:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I believe that DVD release is still a week and a half away... I'm looking forward to that one, though watching the Transformers movie the other day (the animated one from 1986) has thinking of how cheesy the D&D cartoon is going to be, by today's standards. I don't care, though. I used to love that show.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  10:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I believe that DVD release is still a week and a half away... I'm looking forward to that one, though watching the Transformers movie the other day (the animated one from 1986) has thinking of how cheesy the D&D cartoon is going to be, by today's standards. I don't care, though. I used to love that show.

Well met

Aye, i'm lucky enough to be over the pond from thee, Wooly and thus got my hands on the box set last year. Despite it's age, I still enjoyed every single minute

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  15:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well met

Aye, i'm lucky enough to be over the pond from thee, Wooly and thus got my hands on the box set last year. Despite it's age, I still enjoyed every single minute

Yeah, I remember being excited when I first saw it was coming out on DVD, but then I saw that it was a UK-only release (which is odd). I was most stoked when I saw the plans for the US release, and more stoked when I saw the details about the additional stuff coming with it.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  15:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warduke was featured in a recent Dungeon; don't know about Venger.

Today's standards, humph.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  16:05:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone that is interested, one of the writers of the series, actually wrote the final episode, but it was never produced. You can read the script for it on his site:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/requiem_preface.htm

Or if you are too impatient to read the writers commentary (which is actually kind of interesting), you can skip right to the script here:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/pdf/requiem_sec.pdf

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 26 Nov 2006 16:08:46
Go to Top of Page

Nokom
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2006 :  17:23:46  Show Profile  Visit Nokom's Homepage Send Nokom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to see it right now, I think it comes on toon disney on the weekends. They can't make up their mind on a time... in the USA anyway. Not sure if it comes on in the UK.

Edited by - Nokom on 26 Nov 2006 17:24:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  00:16:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nokom, I noted yesterday that fans over at EN World were writing up some fan-based conversions (1e and 2e) to reflect the various characters from the cartoon in anticipation of the DVD release.

I didn't see any 3e stats, so you'll likely have to convert them.

EDIT: I'll find the link and send it your way.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  01:01:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nokom, I noted yesterday that fans over at EN World were writing up some fan-based conversions (1e and 2e) to reflect the various characters from the cartoon in anticipation of the DVD release.

Why bother, when we'll be getting their 3E stats?

quote:
Included in this collectible package is the official “Dungeons & Dragons” hardcover game supplement. Created exclusively for this release by Wizards of the Coast, the Animated Series Handbook is 32 pages of official character profiles with full stats, magic items and a brand new adventure. The adventure is a prelude to the episode “The Dragon’s Graveyard,” designed to bridge the gap between the game and the animated television series. Also included is an Episode Guide Booklet with show’s synopsis, writers, and original air dates.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/news/20061004a

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  01:21:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

Here's hoping this boxed set is released in Australia as well then.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  20:49:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DVDs are out today. They'll be in my hand in about 90 minutes. And then I can go home and torture my girlfriend with how bad they are.

I'll post short stats for the characters some time tonight, too, since they're in the booklet.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  23:42:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, all of this information comes from the Animated Series Handbook, which comes with the DVD set. I'm just giving short stats; it's my preferred statblock, it saves me typing, and it doesn't violate the copyrights. As with the 2E statblocks, I'm only listing ability scores of 16 or higher.

All of the kids are human, obviously.

Hank, the Ranger: LG Ranger 7, Dex 17, Cha 18
Eric, the Cavalier: NG Fighter 7, Str 18
Diana, the Acrobat: LG Monk 7, Dex 17, Wis 17
Presto, the Wizard: NG Wizard 7, Int 20
Sheila, the Thief: NG Rogue 7, Dex 18, Con 17
Bobby, the Barbarian: CG Barbarian 7, Str 19, Con 18

It specifies that Sheila has two masterwork rapiers... But the artwork doesn't show them, and I don't recall her ever using them in the cartoon. Obviously, those are invisible, too.

I was amazed at Bobby's Strength (tough little kid!), but then I noted that there's a +4 enhancement bonus to his Strength from the thunder club.

And of course, the topic of the thread was Venger's stats...

Venger: Male half-fiend human sorcerer 13/archmage 5, NE medium outside (native). He's CR 21.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  03:14:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy mother of Lurue, this is bad! I've watched the first couple episodes, and the cheesiness practically raised my cholesterol! Good memories, though.

Go to Top of Page

Brenigin
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
117 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  09:01:55  Show Profile  Visit Brenigin's Homepage Send Brenigin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They should've made Eric LN or N. He was always the one that needed persuading to do the right thing...
Go to Top of Page

Drunken Master
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2006 :  20:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Drunken Master's Homepage Send Drunken Master a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I crazy, or does Venger not qualify for the archmage PrC?
One of the requirements is the ability to cast 7th-level arcane spells, so as a sorcerer he would have needed to be 14th level to be eligible to become an archmage, right?
I don't have the stats in front of me, and I only gave it a quick once-over last night, so I could be missing something...

Erik Nowak
Graphic Designer, Blackdirge Publishing
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  19:26:59  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Rez Scroll>

He doesn't qualify for Arch-Mage at all. The only thing I can think of is that as a NPC he is allowed to break the rules! LOL

Personally, I would be interested in knowing the stats for the likes of Warduke. I always pictured him as a Cambion.

Any stats for any of the NPCs would be welcomed by me...I am thinking of having Venger in the Forgotten Realms, along with the likes of Warduke and others as well.

I think Venger would make a great villain from the lands of Faerun...just don't know where yet.

The ONE GUY in that whole series I would be scared of: Venger's Master! That dude was bad mojo!

EDIT:

Kinda reminded me of Kossuth or something! And maybe Venger was a bastard half-fiend (Cambion) from Thay...I dunno...but it would be nice to have stat blocks on some of these guys.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 21 Jun 2012 19:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  19:36:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what edition was the OP looking for anyways?

They did his 3E stats in the boxed set of DVD along with the other characters (Wooley posted them, I see).

IF you want 4E stats (something that I feel would better encompass his over-all character), then I'd probably say Warlock[mc]Sorcerer/Demonskin Adept/Harbinger of Doom. He seems to have an endless supply of arcane blasts (yet any At-will could be used to describe that) but he's also seen to have a "Master" and I think the thematic appeal of the Warlock Pact would fit in nicely here. He's studied a LOT of magic along the way and thus, I believe Sorcerer might also fit in here as well. He's not too bright by any means (I mean, he lets the kids win at every turn) So i don't think Wizard levels apply. He also uses a Shadow Demon, something a Demonskin Adept might emply as well as having specific "Shadow" based powers.

Now I"m thinking of doing a write up of him. What level would you set him at (late heroic 8th - 11th level or Paragon 12th - 18th)? I'm thinking late heroic since the PCs are still threatened by simplistic stuff like Orcs, Kuo-toas, Bullywugs, and Undead and often flee from such monsters (regardles of the anti-combative nature of the show). So I'd think Venger would fit nicely as a 10th or 11th level monster with Shadow-Demon at his side.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  19:45:06  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

what edition was the OP looking for anyways?

They did his 3E stats in the boxed set of DVD along with the other characters (Wooley posted them, I see).

IF you want 4E stats (something that I feel would better encompass his over-all character), then I'd probably say Warlock[mc]Sorcerer/Demonskin Adept/Harbinger of Doom. He seems to have an endless supply of arcane blasts (yet any At-will could be used to describe that) but he's also seen to have a "Master" and I think the thematic appeal of the Warlock Pact would fit in nicely here. He's studied a LOT of magic along the way and thus, I believe Sorcerer might also fit in here as well. He's not too bright by any means (I mean, he lets the kids win at every turn) So i don't think Wizard levels apply. He also uses a Shadow Demon, something a Demonskin Adept might emply as well as having specific "Shadow" based powers.

Now I"m thinking of doing a write up of him. What level would you set him at (late heroic 8th - 11th level or Paragon 12th - 18th)? I'm thinking late heroic since the PCs are still threatened by simplistic stuff like Orcs, Kuo-toas, Bullywugs, and Undead and often flee from such monsters (regardles of the anti-combative nature of the show). So I'd think Venger would fit nicely as a 10th or 11th level monster with Shadow-Demon at his side.

I'm not sure what rules he was looking for honestly.

I like your take on his 4e attributes though! The only thing I would debate with you was that he was able to not only engage Tiamat in battle and survive (frequently!); BUT he also CREATED Demo-Dragon! Not sure if you remember that particular cartoon, but it felt to me then that he had somehow infused a dragon with the essence of Demo-Gorgon!

I always attributed his continual losses to the adventurers as Dungeon Master giving them uber artifacts...and the continued interference of Dungeon Master as well. So I think he could also be said to fit nicely into the Paragon tier.

For me, I'll probably write him up as a 1e Cambion in my own game. I'll sort out his details shortly and perhaps post them also.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  19:51:56  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps he used a 4E-stylized Ritual to create Demo-Dragon (yes, I remember that blue-skinned monster of terror, lol). The more time and GP and rare/exotic materials to perform the ritual could've dropped the Arcana check to create such a Monster and I'm curious if he didn't have some starting blocks to begin with (like a Demon and Dragon already locked away)?

As for him surviving Tiamat, that's pretty much all he did was just survive it. I don't recall him ever winning or gaining the upper-hand any of those epic confrontations, just a few Eldritch Blasts and away he fled with Tiamat in tow.

Edited by - Diffan on 21 Jun 2012 21:00:57
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2012 :  20:19:03  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I see your point. Stat away! lol

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2018 :  01:11:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Hmmm...I see your point. Stat away! lol

Well it's been only 6 years but I've gotten back into the D&D Cartoon and now that 5th Edition is here, it oddly relates well to older versions of the game.

Warduke stats from D&D:Expert set place him at an 8th level Evil Human Fighter with a +1 longsword that deals fire damage and his helm that gives infravision.

3.5 Statted him out in Dragon Magazine #105 as a CR 20 (human Fighter 18) with all the usually stuff you'd find in a 3.5 NPC/Villain - he's basically a super villain with demonic grafts for eyes that deal gaze attacks, negates critical hits, has Spell Resistance, good AC and Attacks and all manner of craziness.

4E he's an 18th Level Solo Soldier (and a good one) that a Fan did (not Official).

I made my own 5th Edition version that places him as a tough Challenge Rating of 9 because it's assumed he'll have henchmen.
Go to Top of Page

redking
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2018 :  16:13:43  Show Profile Send redking a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 3.5 statistics for Venger are invalid, and he doesn’t qualify for archmage as has been pointed out. He also has 28 spell resistance that he shouldn’t have because he doesn’t have racial HD (oops!). This is unfortunate. Let me have a try.

Dungeon Master refers to Venger as his mistake, and Venger is his son. Given that Venger is a half-fiend, an inherited template, I am going to take the liberty of assuming that Dungeon Master was much more reckless about a thousand years ago and was fraternizing with a succubus, and the offspring of that pairing was Venger. It is implied that Venger was turned into a half-fiend by a certain “nameless one” but I am going to ignore that because Dungeon Master having sex with a succubus is way funnier. For this purpose, we will be using the (Half)-Fiendish Variety article from the WotC website.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

For Venger we will be using the elite stat array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 for his base stats. To this we will be adding the ability adjustments of half-succubus (from the article) of Str +2, Dex +2, Int +4, and Cha +8. Based on this what might his stats be? Str 10, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 18, Cha 23. What does he have in the Animated Series Handbook? Its Str 18, Dex 22, Con 26, lnt 18, Wis 15, Cha 24.

Uh oh. I have no idea how they came up with that set of stats but obviously Venger starts at a much higher set of base stats than the elite stat array, even accounting for the 4 extra points of ability that Venger got through levelling up (let’s say it went to Con because reasons and his Con is a base 22). In any case what I have written is not going to work. We need to go the custom route. I am not going to go crazy, I am just going give Venger the advanced simple template (from pathfinder) on top his base stats, providing a +4 to all stats.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/advanced-creature-cr-1/

So, once we apply the advanced template onto Venger’s elite stat array his ability scores are 19, 18, 17, 16, 14, 12. No min-maxing Venger’s stats here, lets see what we can do when we apply half-succubus. Str 19, Dex 20, Con 19, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 24. Wis is Venger’s weak point and he sure has made serious mistakes – with Tiamat, for example. These are his stats before levelling.

So here is what I am going to do. I am going to give Venger 7 racial outsider hitdice to make him less of a glass cannon and to help with his saves. Then Sorcerer 1, Wizard 7, Ultimate Magus 10. Casts as 11th level Sorcerer and 14th level Wizard (caster levels 15 and 18). Total of 25 hitdice, 7 of them non-associated outsider HD (the outsider HD nets Venger 17 SR, based on his half-succubus template). After levelling he has 6 bonuses to an ability score than he can apply to any score. I would say that Venger’s Cha goes up to 28, and his Int up to 20.

Wait, why make this decision about class levels? Why not Sorcerer 15, Archmage 3? Well, Sorcerer is boring, and Venger is hardly a boring character. More to the point, we don’t really see Venger do things on the level of 9th level spells. He’s a capable blaster, and does some cool necromancy, but he still has his limitations. While he has limitations, Venger can do a LOT of stuff, that is why UM is so good for Venger.

That’s it. This can be used to come up with the statblock for a Venger that is cool and not boring and rule breaking.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  12:22:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT: I'll find the link and send it your way.

I'm looking on that site for conversions TO 2nd Ed. and not finding anything. I only see FROM 2nd. Can you point the way?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  14:53:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When 3E came out, WotC put out a 2E to 3E conversion guide. This is available as a pdf, and some Googling should locate it.

That should help you go from 3E stats to 2E.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  16:33:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see an update to this cartoon with the characters as full grown adults having returned home at some point, only to have to return because their KIDS were stolen by Venger (and have the kids escape with the aid of Dungeon Master). It could be interesting too if some of the adults had returned home with a new wife/husband in tow who was NOT from our world (for instance, what if Diana the acrobat fell in love with a drow? What if Presto the Magician fell in love with an elven priestess of Mystra? What if Bobby the barbarian fell in love with an Aasimar, Tiefling, Genasi, or even something like a lycanthrope (a werefox, werebear, etc..)?). Thus, the kids might not even KNOW about their unusual heritage, or if they do they've had to hide it. Have Uni as a full grown unicorn helping the adults, and maybe a faerie dragon helping the party of kids now.

Also, maybe see some serious changes in the adults... maybe Eric isn't afraid of anything when it comes to someone endangering his children. Maybe Presto is a decent wizard now. Maybe Hank's suffering from being older and less spry.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 16 Sep 2018 16:47:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000