Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Book Club Rules
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  17:22:06  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The rules are simple:-

1. Please keep discussions within the correct threads, and do not discuss the events that take place beyond the scheduled discussions breaks. These will be considered as spoilers and will be edited, moved or possibly deleted.

2. No author bashing! Authors are the honored guests of Candlekeep and will be treated with respect. You may disagree on points in the discussion, but no attacks.

3. Have fun!

See.....simple!

Thanks

Malarick

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  00:41:56  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

2. No author bashing! Authors are the honored guests of Candlekeep and will be treated with respect. You may disagree on points in the discussion, but no attacks.
Indeed... and I'd just like to add my own mod voice to this .

We here at Candlekeep should continue to be extremely respectful of the authors who CHOOSE to visit these halls and appreciate the efforts and time they put into their works. They do so in their own free time and thus we should continue to recognise that sacrifice on their parts.

Discussions with authors here at Candlekeep has worked so well in the past, that I would hate to see such a facility disappear in a manner similar to what occured on the WotC boards.

Let's all work together to ensure that Candlekeep is the ONE stop for FR authors wishing to talk about their past, previous, and future works.

Thank you .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Oct 2005 00:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5562 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  08:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Very well said, Sage Indeed, discussions with the authors herein have always gone very well and we have learnt a vast amount of lore from the tidbits we have interrogated gleaned from them. I certainly hope the book club follows suit.

There's only one type of bashing that will occur herein, and that's a bashing from the staff of the irritated moderator! Although I doubt that will be necessary

Hope ye all enjoy the book clubs.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  16:54:14  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right on what book are we reading?

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  17:20:29  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

Right on what book are we reading?

We are reading Paul S. Kemp's last book in the Erevis Cale Trilogy - Midnight's Mask.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Belthor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  18:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Belthor's Homepage Send Belthor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I going to be lost if I haven't yet read the others in the trilogy?

If the rest of humanity were only as smart as my familiar......
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  18:51:21  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Belthor

Am I going to be lost if I haven't yet read the others in the trilogy?

Yes. You will really have to have read through the other Erevis Cale novels before reading this one.

Next month will be much better for more people, as we will be reading a novel that is stand-alone.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2867 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  19:48:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seriously got to wonder why you didn't choose Whisper of Waves for this month's novel...oh well. Maybe next month.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  20:10:25  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

I've seriously got to wonder why you didn't choose Whisper of Waves for this month's novel...oh well. Maybe next month.

I am sure people are wondering the same thing too. I will explain.

This is mainly because of the move of the book clubs from Worlds of D&D to here. We had already established which FR novels we would be reading up to the end of the year, and had selected Midnight's Mask.

We will more than likely run EVERY new release as it comes out, in the future.

Obviously some book clubs will have author participation, while some will not. I don't think we will get Phil Althans or Ed Greenwood over here anytime soon

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5562 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  20:14:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Well met

I'm wondering if maybe running this tome alongside would be worthwhile, even though Phil Athans hasn't graced us with his presence. If anyone is interested in participating in a Whisper of Waves book club, then I'll gladly open one up herein.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  00:46:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I'm wondering if maybe running this tome alongside would be worthwhile, even though Phil Athans hasn't graced us with his presence.
I'm trying... I dropped a few references to Candlekeep and it's dedication to the Realmslore on another message board I've seen Phil on. I'm hoping he'll take note of it .

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Nov 2005 00:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5562 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  08:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

Obviously some book clubs will have author participation, while some will not. I don't think we will get Phil Althans or Ed Greenwood over here anytime soon

Well met

Oh don't be so sure.... Ed contributes herein on a daily basis! There are a vast amount of scrolls from this year alone.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  11:14:56  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Oh don't be so sure.... Ed contributes herein on a daily basis!

Aye, I am aware of those, but I meant on a bookclub level. Unless someone gets the questions to him, and then he replies.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

SheriffJoe
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  03:03:15  Show Profile  Visit SheriffJoe's Homepage  Send SheriffJoe an AOL message Send SheriffJoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In terms of the CLASSIC book of the month, for January, can we discuss THE PARCHED SEA, by Troy Denning? Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5562 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2006 :  10:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SheriffJoe

In terms of the CLASSIC book of the month, for January, can we discuss THE PARCHED SEA, by Troy Denning? Just a thought.

Well met

I'm always open to suggestions, SheriffJoe. Thank ye Regarding Classic book clubs, I think going forward it would be a good idea to run a poll on a selected number of novels. The highest wins, assuming that there are enough members who have voted, of course. Regardless, I will be holding off classic book clubs for the current month. Apologies. Feel free to post your comments on The Parched Sea in a thread in the Novels section, however

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:28:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Isn't there any rule as to HOW MUCH can a scribe directly quote from a novel?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:43:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Total scroll necromancy...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:51:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didn't notice that.

---

I'm concerned because at times I'm inclined to making several, and sometimes long, direct quotations to emphasize my point.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  05:53:59  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  08:33:55  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

From "Section B.3" of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct:-
quote:
3. Avoid posting large amounts of text quoted directly from WotC products. If you feel the need to do so, please keep the amount of text to a minimum (a couple of paragraphs at the most) and place the text within the Quote box (use the quote icon on the posting toolbar above the text area), stating the product title and page number from which the text was taken.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  08:35:56  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

From "Section B.3" of the Candlekeep Code of Conduct:-
quote:
3. Avoid posting large amounts of text quoted directly from WotC products. If you feel the need to do so, please keep the amount of text to a minimum (a couple of paragraphs at the most) and place the text within the Quote box (use the quote icon on the posting toolbar above the text area), stating the product title and page number from which the text was taken.

Well now you know Dennis...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  09:13:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A couple of paragraphs...I'm fine with that. I think I once saw a post that has a direct quotation from Cult of the Dragon---which looked like more than a couple of paragraphs, detailing Sammaster and Lathander's Avatar's battle...That was two pages from the said source, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

WilsonSmith
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2013 :  06:58:11  Show Profile Send WilsonSmith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such type of elements I think come with the inspiration and creativity, that makes us clear about the concept. For this, I would say that when is the next book that is coming across. To be at Candlekeep we will be more happily appraise and pay attention to what it is talking about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000