Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Any and All Lore on Velsharoon please.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  22:51:36  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As a major DM, I love to allow my players to embrace their characters histories and such. One of my players is a CN cleric/wizard/Mystic Thurge of Velsharoon. However, my reading is rather limited thus far on him. I own all the books for 3.0 and 3.5, with one single book that is second edition called Cloak and Dagger (which I love to death... It seems that 2nd book had alot of in dept lore compared to alot of the third edition books.

I do know he was an ex-red wizard of Thay, (Szass Rival), became a god in 1368 due to a path set out by Talos but realizing that Talos would use him to until he was drained, switch sides to Mystra and Azuth. Rumor also has it that he's been talking to Shar about Shadow Weave. Other then that, I have nothing on him. My player has made a few temples and shrines for him, has converted some people. But I'd like to know what major NPC's, Prestige Classes (I'll even take homebrew if they are decent enough), more history on him, temple location (I belive the only one is the valley of Bones??), special cleric spells, (I never saw an Iniate Feat... any tips for those?).

I'll take everything please. Even homebrew I'll consider.

At least in my world, He will somehow steal part of the Shadow Weave portfio in the sense he'll also have Necromancy of that area too, while keeping the normal weave. I know that's against estabish lore that its one side or the other, but eh, Sometimes small rules are to be broken. He already playing both sides of the field. No real reason he can't have both fields of necromancy.

But yeah, anything please.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  23:10:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Realms, Bhaal and Myrkul (from 1E) return around the same time as Bane, and Velsharoon (the god of necromantic magic) associates with Myrkul (the god of the undead and undeath) and Bhaal (the god of murder and violent death); some time later, during my version of the Spellplague, Kelemvor dies and Bhaal and Myrkul reclaim their old portfolios of death and the dead respectively. Even with all of this, an association between Velsharoon and Shar is not a big stretch, and I may use that in my Realms... particularly now that Shar has been demoted to an Intermediate power in the aftermath of her failure to destroy Mystra.

Note that this is all homebrew, so take what you like from it, all with a grain of salt, of course.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  00:51:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For official lore, see Halls of the High King and Powers & Pantheons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  01:04:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

As a major DM, I love to allow my players to embrace their characters histories and such. One of my players is a CN cleric/wizard/Mystic Thurge of Velsharoon. However, my reading is rather limited thus far on him. I own all the books for 3.0 and 3.5, with one single book that is second edition called Cloak and Dagger (which I love to death... It seems that 2nd book had alot of in dept lore compared to alot of the third edition books.

If you loved Cloak & Dagger (truly one of the best Realms sourcebooks ever released), you really need to check out the 2E trilogy of deity books: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. Powers & Pantheons includes what is perhaps the single most detailed write-up of Velsharoon.

And though they don't pertain to Vellie, check out the Volo's Guide books. Some of the best, most flavorful Realmslore out there. Some of them are free on the Wizards downloads page.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  01:00:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd forgotten about the write-up in Powers & Pantheons; good catch, Wooly!

Edit: Post #1313... coincidence that it's about Velsharoon?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 May 2010 01:01:32
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  01:43:01  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no Realms-specific Velsharoon prestige class for him, but you don't need one. The best one to use would be the True Necromancer prestige class in Libris Mortis.
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  10:52:19  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Thrall of Orcus PrC (from BoVD) seems to be a good fit for Velsharoon, given his obsession with undeath.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  21:26:11  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers & Pantheons write up? I suppose no-one willing to send me that? I have no money to buy that book, and I can't really walk or use bus to nearest book store due to my hip dysplasia and the hard pain it takes just to get to go school and back.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  01:06:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually an illegal process dracons... to distribute such information without the consent of the owner or the publisher.

The best you can do, I'm afraid, is to simply search online for any summarised info about Velsharoon. I can help you to sift though it to learn whether it's canon or not, so if you're unsure, simply bring it up here.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 May 2010 01:07:42
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  09:20:20  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's alot of info about Velsharoon in Faiths and Pantheons (3.5 FR)

Also the 3e FRCS Web Enhancement has some info about him.

Did you try the FR Wiki? Here's an article about Velsharoon

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  22:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I maanged to find a little more. Is it true that he had a tower in plains of purple dust? My players will be heading to Mulhorand soon, thinking maybe I should allow the cleric a chance to find his god's last tower. Would this stil be up? A holy site to his clergy?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  00:56:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Well I maanged to find a little more. Is it true that he had a tower in plains of purple dust? My players will be heading to Mulhorand soon, thinking maybe I should allow the cleric a chance to find his god's last tower. Would this stil be up? A holy site to his clergy?

It wasn't actually "his" tower, but rather a set of ruins whereupon the mortal Velsharoon discovered a ritual that would promote him to demigodhood.

We've not heard much about the location beside what's briefly mentioned in Powers & Pantheons.

Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2017 :  22:23:17  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a concrete Dale Reckoning date that Velsharoon would be active as a demi-god, or God? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2017 :  00:08:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scuda

Does anyone have a concrete Dale Reckoning date that Velsharoon would be active as a demi-god, or God? Thanks.

1368 DR as far as year, no specific month/date that I know of

I have been developing some homebrew lore for him as well over the years along with a timeline for my United Tharchs idea. As I'm too lazy to separate out the two pieces of material... feel free to peruse.

1323 DR - The Zulkir of enchantment leads an attempt to control the minds of influential people through their dreams. The efforts of the Red Wizards are eventually thwarted, but the Zulkirs study of the nature of dream magic continues.

1326 DR - The exiled Halruaan, Velsharoon the Vaunted, begins research on the rise of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. It is rumored that he visits Ironfang Keep and survives.

1338 DR - Mythrell'aa, Zulkir of Illusion, in searching out lore on Netherese spell mantles runs across an entry on a Netherese flying enclave, known as the city of Doubloon, which disappeared some years prior to Karsus' Folly and which was rumored to be able to hide itself from all magic known at that time.

1345 - 1354 DR - The dread necromancer, Velsharoon the Vaunted, builds a tower, which he names the Tower Terrible, in the city of Soorenar in Chessenta. He then spends several years visiting Murghom and the Plains of Purple Dust seeking lore on the mortal life of Myrkul.

1356 DR - Mythrell'aa, Zulkir of Illusion, assaults a Halruaan exile, rumored to have been amongst the original red wizards who helped rise up against the Mulhorandi centuries ago. The female had been employing spies and peering too closely into Thayan business ventures surrounding the formation of a Thayan enclave in Soorenar. The woman manages to escape through the aid of another renegade red wizard and Halruaan exile, the archmage Velsharoon the Vaunted. From the history books left behind by woman, Mythrell'aa reads of a "flying city which could make itself invisible which aided the Netherese diaspora in finding a new homeland to the south".

1358 DR - Time of Troubles - Using knowledge gained from the vestige of Karsus to gain better control over his arcane powers, the renegade red wizard, Velsharoon the Vaunted hunts down the avatar of Mellifleur inhabiting the body of a half-fiend lich rumored to be one of several grandchildren of the line of Garthelaun Darakh "the Goreslayer", fourth ruler of the Darakh Dynasty of ancient Narfell.

1359 DR - Samas Kul negotiates the creation of Thayan trade enclaves in Hlath, Calimport, Messemprar, and Athkatla

1359 DR - Intrigued by the machinations of his former ally and fellow renegade red wizard, Zhengyi the Witch-King of Vaasa, Velsharoon begins following the actions of Gareth Dragonsbane and company as they steal the wand of Orcus, slay an avatar of Tiamat, and soak the wand in its blood. Unbeknownst to Gareth and company, Velsharoon transports in and gathers a portion of the blood and bile of the dead avatar which have been infused with a remnant of the power of the wand of Orcus.

1361 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclaves in Soorenar, Calaunt, and Hillsfar.

1363 DR - Following up on leads she found nearly a decade prior in Halruaan history texts surrounding the Exodus of Leirans, Mythrell'aa sets out to secretly invade the Isle of Nimbral in order to seek lore on the lost Netherese flying enclave of Doubloon. She learns that the flying city left the island centuries ago loaded with humans and tall elves to visit the stars.

1364 DR - red wizards of the enclave of Soorenar, under the orders of Szass Tam, invade the home of the renegade red wizard, Velsharoon the Vaunted. This meets with disastrous results. The survivors, upon threat of utter annihilation, declare peace with the renegade red wizard and Velsharoon rewards them for their bravery by providing them several rituals involving undead creation. He however advises that the red wizards must not share these rituals with their cohorts in Thay "who have not dared enough in the field of necromancy". The red wizards request the protection of Zulkir Lauzoril against the wrath of Szass Tam. Lauzoril and the other Zulkirs chastise Tam for threatening the security of their enclave over a matter that he should have handled himself.

1364 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclaves in Hlondeth and Scardale.

1365 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclave in Mulmaster as part of the negotiations for marriage between High Blade Selfaril and the "First Princess of Thay", Dmitra Flass.

1366 DR - Velsharoon the Vaunted enters the Dire Wood of the High Forest. Although challenged by the arcanist Wulgreth and other magical obstacles, Velsharoon obtains a bottle of the pure heart's blood pumping from the Karsestone.

1367 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclaves in Baldur's Gate, Raven's Bluff, and Saerloon.

1368 DR - The renegade red wizard and Halruaan exile, Velsharoon the Vaunted, assaults an ancient ruin on Damara's northwestern border, rumored to be named Jiksidur, and slays a gold dragon and its cloud giant guardians . It is rumored that he butchered the dragon on the spot, taking its stone-filled gizzard and brewing it in a cauldron containing blood of the Karsestone, the mixed blood and bile of the avatar of Tiamat, and the bone powder of the former avatar of Mellifleur. Several weeks later, using the Phylactery of Mellifleur and the Skull Staff of the Necromancer in a modified Ritual of Endless Night, Velsharoon ascends to godhood with the sponsorship of the deity Talos. The red wizards of Soorenar are some of the first converts, and many former priests of Myrkul in Thay flock to the city in order to turn the land surrounding the Tower Terrible into a temple complex.

1368 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclaves in Cimbar, Phsant, Proskur, and Tsurlagol

1369 DR - Samas Kul, Master of the Guild of Foreign Trade, is approached by a Savrassan priest who states that he received a vision that the Thayan wizard should check for new opportunities in the west. After visiting several western trade enclaves, he decides that Thay should seek to open negotiations with the Flaming Fist to aid their fledgling colony of Fort Flame.

1369 DR - Ever untrusting of the Zulkir of Necromancy, the Zulkir of Enchantment, Lauzoril of Thay, geases a white necromancer of Damara to train his fourteen year old daughter, Mimuay. She had already learned the rudiments of magic from a ghost apprentice named Ferrin, but this ghost had been destroyed (see the novel the Simbul's Gift). Lauzoril also altered the woman's memories so that she would have memories of arriving at the estate due to a “dream vision” that she had received from the gods themselves. She came bearing a magical bloodstone diadem, an item enchanted by Lauzoril himself, but which she believed would lead her to an apprentice who needed her guidance. As part of her training, the Ilmatari necromancer also teaches Mimuay of the various Faerunian deities, and in particular preaches the evils of Orcus, demon lord of undead, and her hopes that the newly risen god of necromancy, one Velsharoon, will prove to be less evil.

1370 DR - Samas Kul establishes the Thayan trade enclaves in Waterdeep, Marsember, Iriaebor, and Scornubel

1370 DR - Using an illusion to appear as Knights of the Flying Hunt, Zulkir Mythrell'aa and her personal band of Leiran priests, beguilers, and illusionists approach an incoming spelljamming vessel off the coast of Nimbral. Slaughtering its crew, they then take said vessel into orbit, whereupon using her mastery of the arcane arts, Mythrell'aa is finally able to find the "lost" Netherese enclave of Doubloon floating amongst the Tears of Selune. The city is inhabited by humans and elves with ties to the surface cities of Nimbral, having long ago separated themselves from their former nation. Mythrell'aa sends several of her agents to infiltrate the colony and soon learns things are not as they seem, but that there are mysteries within mysteries occurring in this city and upon the moon's surface.

1371 DR - Using numerous ships, the trade negotiations of dozens of far flung trade enclaves, hundreds of bags of holding, and thousands of humanoid slaves illicitly bought from bounty hunters, slavers, and prison wardens, Samas Kul establishes the Balduran Bay Trade Enclave in Anchorome. The initial construction is small with vast acres of farmland protected by tall walls, but plans to fill this space with additional housing, slave barracks, temples, magical academies, and several large marketplaces are in the works. Samas Kul is noted as saying "it is a beauteous wonder to be able to build an enclave from the ground up without having to worry about infringement on the sister city".

1372 DR - Mythrell'aa's spies in the flying city of Doubloon uncover several plots involving doppelgangers, illithids, and a hidden agenda by the elves on the moon. By carefully revealing these plots and their plotters to the people of Doubloon, the Zulkir of Illusion is able to replace the current leadership with her own lieutenants and select individuals within the colony who will work towards its success. Contact between the citizens of Doubloon and the Leiran Trading Center are strained as the leader of the moon's colony, Phlandra Alabaster, has disappeared, and many of the moon's inhabitants blame the surface worlders who have recently arrived.

1372 DR - A "short jump" portal network is setup between the Thayan trade enclaves of Hlath, Cimbar, Soorenar, and Messemprar on the orders of Zulkir Lauzoril. These portals are limited to the transport of small pallets of materials or single individuals between colonies at first, but as the civil war in Thay begins to rage in later years Lauzoril expands their functionality.

1373 DR - Poscadari elves attack Fort Flame, but are turned back by the fire and lightning of their red wizard benefactors. The bodies of the fallen elves are animated by the necromancers of Thay, who then pursue the retreating elves for dozens of miles in the surrounding wilderness. Of the original force, nearly two-thirds of the elves die horribly painful deaths, only to be reanimated to serve as undead guardians.

1373 DR - Mythrell'aa finds and frees Phlandra Alabaster, but coerces her fealty in return for her life and the keeping of her secrets. She further improves upon this fealty with magical compulsions. Mythrell'aa establishes herself as the ruler of the flying city of Doubloon, which she renames Luneira.

1373 DR - A secret "short jump" portal network is setup in the Vast between the Thayan trade enclaves of Mulmaster, Calaunt, Raven's Bluff, Procampur, and Tsurlagol on the orders of the Tharchion Dmitra Flass, "The First Princess of Thay". A keyed and "blood tied" location is setup from the Mulmaster portal to her residence in the city of Eltabbar.

1373 DR - Upon the recommendation of the same Savrassan priest, Samas Kul begins negotiations to open trade enclaves in the cities of Samargol in Samarach, Lundeth in Thindol, and Tashluta in Tashalar. With the influx of Netherese control in the Sembian cities of Yhaunn, Selgaunt and Saerloon, many red wizards leave those enclaves in order to make new homes in other enclaves.
1374 DR - Lauzoril, Zulkir of enchantment, buys from the commander of Fort Flame a wrecked elven skyship and the rights to copy a journal of a dead elven Captain Eartharran Neidre of Evermeet. Suspecting that they might find a lost Netherese enclave or ancient magics of great power, Lauzoril, Samas Kul, and Mythrell'aa set forth towards the frozen northlands far above Evermeet with a retinue of Kossuthan priests and Thayan Knights. The city is captured after a fight with a large black dragon and its children forces said monster to flee or die, and the three Thayans fly it south into the Trackless Sea. They magically anchor the city at a halfway point between the Maztican city of Helmsport and the islands of Lantan and begin construction of portals linking this city to the Balduran Bay Colony and the cities of Tashluta and Samargol.

1374 DR - The Red Wizards open a merchant enclave in Kourmira, a Tuigan city in the Endless Wastes.

1375 DR - Civil War begins in Thay. Many common folk of Thay see safety in the remote trade enclaves, where they can continue to work in relative safety while the red wizards of those enclaves work feverishly to establish portal networks between enclaves.
1375 DR - The red wizard necromancers of the Soorenar and Cimbar enclaves officially declare their breaking of loyalty with Szass Tam. They turn their efforts in undead creation towards practical pursuits to support the war effort of the surviving Zulkirs. Condemned as outlaws by the Zulkir of Necromancy, they fervently embrace the tenets of the church of Velsharoon. Many other enclaves soon take up the construction of shrines to Velsharoon as a sign of their hatred of the Zulkir of Necromancy.

1375 DR - Portals are setup between the Hlath enclave and the enclave in Lundeth. Lumber harvested in Hlath is transported via this portal to the lumber mills of Lundeth. One of the many water mills active in this city is converted from the creation of shoddy swords and into the creation of basic building materials, such as nails, rivets, simple woodscrews and drivers, and simple tools like hammers, chisels, handsaws, axes, and augers. A "short jump" portal network is established between the new enclaves of Lundeth, Tashluta, and Samargol. Mythrell'aa, in secret agreement with the Khazark of the enclave of Samargol, establishes a portal connecting the Thayan enclave with her city of Luneira.

1376 DR - Several thousand Thayan immigrants express a desire to "aid the war effort remotely by working in an enclave". The new Zulkir of Transmutation, Samas Kul, rewards many of these individuals by transporting them in small batches via several portal jumps (all while blindfolded) to the Balduran Bay enclave. While they initially find the accomodations rough, they do come to accept that its better than being turned into an undead minion by Szass Tam's necromancers.

1377 DR - As the war for Thayan independence draws on, and Szass Tam forces wizards out of their luxury homes in High Thay, several hundred red wizards, Thayan knights, and numerous priests arrive in the Balduran Bay enclave, along with their personal guard of gnoll, orc, and centaur mercenaries. After a disagreement between some of these individuals who favor expansion via aggression, a small army of gnolls and centaurs is led east to search for the fabled "City of Gold".

1377 DR – The rural estate of Zulkir of Enchantment, Lauzoril Tavai, in Thazalhar is discovered by the undead forces of Xingax, an atropal in service to Szass Tam who experimented in necromantic magics. Zulkir Lauzoril is unaware of the assault due to the spellwork of the red wizard necromancers amongst the undead. The household servants and guards are quickly overwhelmed and the undead converge upon the estate house itself. Lauzoril's wife, Wenne, and his two daughters, Mimuay, a young necromancer in training, and Nyasia, an innocent young teenager with an interest in stories, poetry, and music all wait in fear for their lives. However, when the undead actually enter the house, Mimuay calls upon Velsharoon to aid her, and the god answers her plea. All of the undead shirk their bonds of control placed upon them by the allies of Szass Tam and immediately kill them. Mimuay leads her mother and younger sister to the city of Bezantur, leaving her estate home for the first time in her life. They are met in Bezantur by necromancer priests of Velsharoon, who believed themselves sent by their god to find and bring a powerful necromancer to Soorenar.

1378 DR - After a prolonged military expedition, the red wizards who had sought the "City of Gold" instead seize the "Cursed City" of Esh Alakar and magically secure the aid of its undead and construct guardians. They then use these forces to capture the smaller Azuposi villages of Elfmeet and Nozoma, thereby subjugating the Badger Tribe with fear alone and little bloodshed. They make a treaty with the peoples of the Shrew tribe in Keshtin Pueblo to allow them to build mills and a small village at the top of Keshtin Falls, and they agree to leave the Eagle Tribe of Opallinoc alone in return for the right trade with them for coal, turqoise, and other minerals.

1379 DR - Wild nomad tribes of the Nahopaca humans attack the Shrew tribe of Keshtin Pueblo, taking more than two score native women as slaves. An Azuposi native gets a message to the red wizards supervising the construction of the mills several miles north of Keshtin Falls. The red wizards justice is swift and brutal, as they slaughter the Nahopaca raiders and turn them into undead. The red wizards spend the next year raiding the nearby desert wilds of the Nahopaca, enslaving those they can capture and reanimating their dead to continue scouring the desert. Many are offered the right to live as free men if they will serve as slavers for the red wizards. Those who refuse will be forced to enter Esh Alakar, which the superstitious nomads fear greatly.

1379 DR - The city of Messemprar falls before the might of Mulhorand and Unther falls completely under Mulhorandi rule. The remainder of the Thayan enclave and Untheric resistance retreat to other nearby enclaves, such as Mourktar, Cimbar, and Soorenar.

1379 DR - A "short jump" portal is established between the Esh Alakar enclave and the Balduran Bay colony. Building supplies in the form of lumber and simple metal implements are sent through to Esh Alakar. The red wizards of Esh Alakar begin negotiations with a coastal culture of humans, calling themselves the Metahel, and who resemble the Northmen of the Savage Frontier. The two groups agree to use the wood brought in by the portal to build longships.

1380 DR - More Mulans arrive in the Balduran Bay Colony, as it is now called. Some of these stay, expanding out from the enclave to form the villages of Reduna and Ivilmur along the coastline. Others proceed east, where it is said a military expedition is mounting, and will result in free homes, land, and slaves for those who will take up residence from those who leave. Others arrive seeking the glory of conquering a new land.

1380 DR - Tharchioness Dmitra Flass, manages to lead a raid upon her own treasury in the capital of Eltabbar with the aid of Zulkir Lauzoril and a small army of red wizards and Thayan Knights. She secures several million gold pieces in the form of coins, gems, jewelry, art, and magic.

1380 DR - Using Nahopaca humans as slavers, the red wizards wring a forced fealty from the "short ones" as the nearby halflings to the west are called. They then setup the Nahopaca as overseers over the halflings. Some Nahopaca abuse this newfound power, and they are removed from their positions and forced back into the desert as slavers required to capture the humans known as "dog men". Those Nahopaca and dog men who fall in the desert are returned for reanimation.

1381 DR - After two years of preparation, several thousand raiders from the Esh Alakar enclave and Pasocada Basin go forth upon more than a hundred longships to find the rich and fertile jungle lands to the south. Along the way, they conduct raids and take captives in the cities of Kolan and the Natican settlements on the outskirts of Apu Roca and Mt. Cuzculac.

1381 DR - The "First Princess of Thay", Dmitra Flass, decides to make an investment in her people, using nearly 5 million gold pieces to purchase large tracts of land in the vast from hardworking farmers who are more than willing to take the money and try their luck elsewhere. Specifically, she purchases land near the cities of Kurth, a city of retired bandits and pirates whose lack of adequate water supply has earned them a reputation about the tangy nature of their beer, and Blanaer, a city known for its unattractive smell due to its cattle pastures. She then instructs her autharchs who are of no use to her on the battlefield to begin civic improvement projects to encourage acceptance of Mulan neighbors.

1382 DR - The cities of New Kensten, Zanzilaha, and Mictalarra are established along the coastline of the Lopango jungles. These lay the foundation for what will eventually become the Lopango Enclave. They establish strong defenses around their settlements, for the surrounding jungles appear to be filled with jungle orc sorcerers and their servile lizard folk warriors, known as Cayma.

1382 DR – Szass Tam becomes incensed by the necromancer-priests of Velsharoon serving as mercenaries alongside the other Zulkirs. Seeking to deter their influence, he sends several cultists of Orcus to assault their temple surrounding the Tower Terrible in Soorenar. The cultists fail disastrously, but they do manage to kill Lauzoril's wife, Wenne, who was busy sewing a silken robe for her eldest daughter, Mimuay, in their new home. Mimuay, who had been serving alongside the necromancer-priests of Velsharoon in Thay, turns in grief to Tharchion Dmitra Flass for comfort and a bond is formed between these two women.

1383 DR - Dmitra Flass' generosity begins to pay off, as skeletal work crews at night turn Blanaer into a lush garden city filled with irrigation canals to catch the runoff from the nearby Troll Mountains. Her autharchs also begin negotiations with the prospectors of Kings Reach, offering to buy their slag rack for use in building an aqueduct for bringing additional water to the city of Kurth.

1384 DR - Zulkir of Divination, Yaphyll warns the Zulkir of Illusion that she foresees Mythrell'aa's death in the near future.

1385 DR - After receiving a vision from Leira herself, Mythrell'aa decides it is time to fake her own death and attend to matters in Luneira. Tharchioness Dmitra Flass is elected to become the next Zulkir of Illusion, but is later killed by Malark Springhill.

1385 DR - Zulkir of Divination, Yaphyll, is forced by Zulkir of Necromancy, Szass Tam, to use her most powerful divination to see into the future. Unbeknownst to Tam, she is forced to "split herself and send one half of herself into the future" and this future portion is outside of Tam's control. However, this future self also is touched by the Spellplague.
1385 DR -

1478 DR (19th Kythorn)- Toril – The four remaining rebel Zulkirs (Lauzoril, Lallara Mediocros, Nevron, and Samas Kul) and the battlemage, Aoth Fezim, assault Thay for fear of a great ritual involving dread rings revealed to them by Bareris Anskuld, an undead bard. While their military forces engage the troops of So-Kehur, autharch of Anhaurz, the Zulkirs, Aoth, Bareris, and a ghost whose name is forgotten invade High Thay. They find that Szass Tam's ritual has been usurped by Zulkir Malark Springhill, who had entrapped Szass Tam in Tharkorsil's seat. In order to stop the ritual, they are forced to release Szass Tam from the seat in order to enter a metaphysical realm created to provide focus to draw upon the power of the dread rings. Zulkir Samas Kul, Bareris, and the ghost are all slain by Tam. Zulkir Nevron is turned into a manes demon and sent to the abyss. Zulkir Lauzoril is magically coerced to jump off a cliff and go all the way to its bottom, which effectively removes him from the fight as his feather fall effect slows his descent. Zulkir Lallara Mediocros creates abjurations with which to defend herself and Aoth Fezim, then uses the power in a magical ring to reward the battlemage by sending him and his familiar outside of the bounds of the metaphysical realm. Zulkirs Lauzoril and Lallara then join forces in a last ditch effort to perform a powerful mixture of abjuration and enchantment meant to strip away Szass Tam's defenses against mental tampering and change his memories. The two Zulkirs make Tam believe that he has killed both of them and then leave. With Tam's leaving, the metaphysical realm begins collapsing in upon itself and losing its ties to both Toril and Temporal Prime, and the two Zulkirs are caught in its backlash as they try to exit to their homeland. They do not appear in Toril again until the second Sundering, in the year 1487 DR.

1487 DR - Toril – Zulkir of Abjuration, Lallara Mediocros, and Zulkir of Enchantment, Lauzoril of Thay, finally exit the pocket plane created by Szass Tam in order to perform his dread ring ritual. Though nine years have passed, to them the time appeared to have only been seconds. Soon after, they both learn that their holdings in the Wizard's Reach have been usurped. They also learn that many effects of the spellplague have reverted in the old empires and the Shaar. The Chessentan cities of Cimbar and Soorenar have returned, supposedly protected by the rerisen ancestral dead, and lorded over by no less than the original Zulkir of Evocation, the demilich Ythazz Buvarr. However, more interestingly, they learn that a new empire of red wizards has suddenly appeared in the Shaar, calling itself the Tharch of Peleveran, and having amongst its founding members, another Zulkir Lauzoril Tavai.

1487 DR - Toril – The area of southern Chessenta known as the Maw of Entropy, which contained an ever expanding region of destruction, disappears. This region is replaced by a portion of Abeir which is known as the Red Mineral Forest of Shyr. This region contains the fabled Citadel of Burning Ice, home of the Primordial Karshimis, ruler of Shyr. There has been no evidence that Karshimis transferred with the Citadel, but some say they have heard the occasional growls of the dragon, Kalz'ry'dirith, Lord of the Burning Blood, rumored to have been entrapped within the citadel for its treachery millenia ago. The occupants of the forest believe that its constant bleeding is what has turned the soil of the region red and created the strangely beautiful crystalline trees that glow at night. The southernmost edges of this territory connect to the Petrified Forest of Maerchwood, and there are those that wonder if some echo of the red mineral forest isn't what turned the Maerchwood petrified during the spellplague over a century ago. It is known that the red wizards of Peleveran prize the crystalline leaves, rich red soil, odd roots, bark, and other components that this forest is known to yield, and it is whispered that they are aggressively selling a food spice made from this forest to surrounding territories which is becoming somewhat addictive.

1487 DR - Toril – Maztica, Anchorome, Katashaka, and the eastern Oslander Islands, all return to Toril. Evermeet resumes its traditional position in the world, and the continent of Laerakond is displaced slightly north and midway between Chult and Maztica.
RANDOM ENTRIES TO ENTER BELOW

Males amongst the Azuposi who serve the Mulan people see a very egalitarian society, as opposed to the Matrilineal society of the Azuposi. They demand equal ownership of their land with their wives. Mulan autharchs make it abundantly clear that none of them own any land any longer, and that if they would like to then they may serve the Mulan people to improve the lives of all in this harsh land.

The captured "dog men" slaves are put to work for the Azuposi and halfling natives. This improves the quality of life of both peoples, who gain more time to advance their education as well as improve their defenses and dwellings. They begin to see their Mulan governors in a new light, not as oppressors, but rather benefactors. They also begin to develop an elitist attitude which further separates them from their Azuposi and Poscadari elven neighbors.

The "short ones", as the halflings near Esh Alakar are known, replace the Nahopaca overseers who were initially placed over them as they prove their loyalty to the red wizards which have actually improved their lives. The Nahopaca overseers are instead placed in control of the growing number of "dog men" slaves to train them.

The people of Samargol find themselves and a small stretch of their surrounding lands transferred to Abeir, in a landlocked environment and surrounded by a vast swamp and jungle filled with bloodthirsty "salamander men". They soon realize that their portal network to Lundeth, Tashluta, and the Cloud City of the Aearee are all still active, and they slowly begin evacuating their people and possessions to the Balduran Bay enclave .

Kirrau Academy is established in the tharch of Balduran Bay as a school for training arcane spellcasters who follow non-standard paths of magic, such as the bard, eldritch knight, arcane tricksters, sorcerers, and others.

A craftsman of Samargol arrives in Esh Alakar after hearing of the nearby vast deserts. He had been taught the art of the manufacture of glassteel by his grandfather on Nimbral, so that they could repair the armor of the Knights of the Flying Hunt.

The tharch of Balduran Bay continues to spread westward, encouraging exploration into areas that may produce new resources. The Talosian mage-priest, Grethsen Odesseiron, leads an expedition into the nearby mountains in order to find the source of the river that feeds into Balduran Bay. As they progress they intend to search the mountains also for good sources to mine for usable metals. They find the mountains to be filled with large numbers of awakened magpies which warn of a sleeping evil.

Grethsen Collegium and Ice and Fire established atop a mountain on the borders of the Balduran Bay Tharch after Shakak the great winter spirit is accidentally awakened. The red wizards recapture the spirit

Questions of maintaining racial purity begin to divide the colonists of the tharch of the Lopango Jungles. Some hold that having Azuposi, Kolan, and Natican wives is perfectly acceptable.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2017 :  00:20:43  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scuda

Powers & Pantheons declares he became a demigod, with Talos's sponsorship, "at the end of 1368 DR." Same date also given in the Grand History of the Realms.

Vesharoon switches allegiance to Azuth in 1370 DR (after "two years" per P&P, in the listing for 1370 DR per GHotR).

In 1385 DR in the Grand History he's sent reeling into the astral, and he's apparently dead by 1425 DR by the 4e FRCG.

Edited by - see on 15 Jul 2017 00:26:06
Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2017 :  09:42:46  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff. Thanks for posting. I had got my hands on Powers and Pantheons at the same time I posted, and see that 1368 DR is the date. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  13:19:00  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some hints Velsharoon is back after dying in 4e, but nothing detailed, a minor mention in the Herald.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  15:28:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

There are some hints Velsharoon is back after dying in 4e, but nothing detailed, a minor mention in the Herald.

It would make sense, given the (ridiculous) bringing back of every deity that had been previously published (except for the ones that people didn't express much interest in, of course).

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  17:55:36  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velsharoon is a Mulan, not apart of the Mulhorand Pantheon originally.

How funny would it be if he was brought by as a member of the incarnated Mulhorandi Pantheon by accident, because of his bloodline.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  18:42:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that the Pharonic pantheon seems to have left Anubis behind, perhaps Velsharoon was indeed using his Mulan heritage to become Anubis' repalcement?

On the other hand, Myrkul was from Murghôm - a PRINCE, even (divine bloodline?) - and they are technically part of Mulhorand and supposedly use the same pantheon (although I read somewhere their's its like a cross between that, and the Adama used in the Shining Waters region). So maybe Vel was trying to do the same thing Myrkul did so many years earlier? Technically, the position of 'god of the dead' is still open in the Old Empires, AFAIK. Unless Myrkul held sway there... I don't think Kelemvor did. It actualy makes some sense - Velsharoon did not try to make his 'power play' until after the ToT. If Myrkul had become Mulhorand's default 'god of the dead', and kelemvor did not (not being from there, and having no 'royal Mulan bloodline'), that would have left a vacuum post-ToT... a vacuum Vel may have tried to fill.

Of course, it didn't quite work Out. Those things rarely do.

It might be interesting - in 5e - to spin him as a mummy-like entity, and the old Empire's "god of the dead". now. Lord knows we have enough demi-god uber-liches running about these days (especially with all the GH/Core 'imports'), so something a wee bit different might be fun.

Now I'm picturing that dude from the first two Mummy movies. He was kind of kewl... looked a little Thayan, even (everyone with a bald head is Thayan! LOL)
"Hi, I'm Velsharoon. Nice eyes... may I have them?"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jul 2017 18:44:02
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  03:20:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How funny would it be if he was brought by as a member of the incarnated Mulhorandi Pantheon by accident, because of his bloodline.

Velsharoon is not a Mulan. Velsharoon is a Halruaan. There were always "rumors that the original red wizards were Halruaan exiles" (note this harkens back all the way to the old grey box, wherein Ed had TSR send out some mailer that discussed the first look at Halruaa to the people that bought the OGB), and Velsharoon is noted in the histories being involved in the area. I firmly believe that he was originally a Halruaan who helped free Thay, only to be turned against because he wasn't Mulan when the Zulkirate formed. This would be why he is considered an ex-red wizard and an enemy of the state.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 17 Jul 2017 03:23:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  04:22:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Velsharoon is not a Mulan. Velsharoon is a Halruaan. There were always "rumors that the original red wizards were Halruaan exiles" (note this harkens back all the way to the old grey box, wherein Ed had TSR send out some mailer that discussed the first look at Halruaa to the people that bought the OGB), and Velsharoon is noted in the histories being involved in the area. I firmly believe that he was originally a Halruaan who helped free Thay, only to be turned against because he wasn't Mulan when the Zulkirate formed. This would be why he is considered an ex-red wizard and an enemy of the state.

Actually, that wasn't Ed pushing TSR to do that -- it was the result of a miscommunication. (Surprisingly, this old article can still be found, *and* a pdf of that newsletter can be downloaded direct from WotC)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010131c

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  12:19:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Is it official that Velsharoon waa Halruaan instead of Mulan, or is it a hzpothesis?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2017 :  21:29:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it official that Velsharoon waa Halruaan instead of Mulan, or is it a hzpothesis?

Unofficial, but evidence points strongly to it. Nothing in evidence points to him being Mulan. For instance the GHotR and Shining South both have an entry calling him a red wizard BEFORE Thay ever existed by 95 years (which its hinted that "red wizards" existed prior to "red wizards of Thay"). That entry occurred in combat with a wizard of Halruaa who is noted as the modern Velsharoon's enemy.

827 DR Year of the Sacrificed Fortune
The wizard Omm Hlandrar of Halruaa engages a Red Wizard named
Velsharoon in a spectacular magical battle in the skies over the Shaar. The contest ends in a draw.

Also there is this from the Secrets of the Sages Mailer whose link was provided by Wooly a couple messages back.

These Halruan magic-users are of great and mysterious power. Thay#146;'s current regime is said by some to have been founded by renegade Halruan mages.

Also, there is this from the original FR16 Shining South page 4

Halruaa also suffered through a civil war about five centuries ago. A number of mages advocated beginning new experiments in magic,
ones which even the Netheril didn#146;t approve of. The renegades were driven from the region. The surviving renegades left to found the land of Thay, or so it is said in Halruaa.

So, we have Velsharoon fighting a Halruaan 5 centuries ago. We have that there was a Halruaan civil war 5 centuries ago. We have Velsharoon called a "red wizard" 5 centuries prior ago and nearly a century prior to the founding of Thay. We have that "renegade Halruaans" helped found Thay.

Now, one can come up with 50 ways to spin that and say that he's not from Halruaa, but the simplest answer based on the evidence is that he was from Halruaa.. that the Halruaan civil war involved him and Omm Hlandrar... that he is still the same red wizard mentioned from that time... that he and other Halruaan wizards then migrated to Thay and aided the Thayan uprising. 108 years after the uprising the Zulkirate was formed, and it was probably at this time that Velsharoon became a renegade red wizard (though when he went renegade is still up in the air).

Personally, I like the idea as well that both he and and the Witch King Zhengyi were "compatriots" of some sort, since both are "renegade red wizards". I wouldn't say though that Zhengyi is Halruaan. In fact, I would say he probably has some Narfellian blood (possibly Narfellian royal blood).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  14:21:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either way it could use more clarity on Halruaan invovlement in Thay given that the ruling red wizards are all Mulan and have been for some time now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  14:52:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an easy fix: they're Mulan now. They intermarried with the locals, with the magical tradition being what's passed on.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  14:55:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the norm now is not what always was.

The ruling zulkirate was originally a collection of secret and powerful cabals manipulating events to get their favoured candidates on the council.

There were lots of these cabals, the Red Wizards were just one such example. The zulkirs also are not always the most powerful specialist in their field.

So way back when, when the zulkirate was formed, the cabals that helped with the rebellion got a voice on that council (each likely had a member per cabal, i doubt if the original zulkirate was even organised around schools of magic).

As members were killed off by peers, or exiled for incompetence/betrayal, or more rarely died of natural causes, then the existing members chose new members from their own allies (based on what their sponsoring master desired) and as naturally happens the council becomes polarised around two groups.

We know there was an uprising of sorts (1130 ish springs to mind but im going off the top of my head here) as the two dominating factions came to blows. Those that lost and those that refused to take sides or couldnt accept the new order were exiled and became renegades.

At this point it is likely a mulan superiority faction came to dominate the council and you have the zulkirate come to resemble what it is now.

So in summary, mixed subrace before reorganisation of the council (rashemmi, nar, mulan, halruaan at a guess) then almost entirely mulan after the reorganisation.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  15:21:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Either way it could use more clarity on Halruaan invovlement in Thay given that the ruling red wizards are all Mulan and have been for some time now.

I totally agree, and at one time I was TRYING to write a short story about Velsharoon's early life and I was detailing other Halruaan NPC's to be his friends. I had them actually freeing Ythazz Buvarr from his phylactery, and thus how they became involved with him. I also had Velsharoon's other Halruaan friends being A) a mystic theurge of illusion and worship of Leira (who was a spy for Nimbral). Another friend was a socially retarded but brilliant mage who had discovered Chronomancy through experimentation, and I was going to use that to allow Velsharoon and their fellow "red wizards" to raid ancient times for lore (which is what got them in trouble). Then I had a conjurer/binder/anima mage/alienist who was very much into study of other dimensions (far realm, place where vestiges exist, etc...). BTW, my version of Velsharoon isn't a necromancer specialist. He's a non-specialist wizard/dread necromancer/binder with appropriate prestige classes to max wizard and dread necro and get binder casting to like 13th level or so.

What happens to them all? I never really detailed it, though I was going to have Velsharoon visit the necromantic isle of Sehu (Sahu?) before he helped form the "red wizard" society. I figured I'd also include some more standard spellcasters to have die off in the civil war. On the Zhengyi thing, I was going to have them actually meet in the storyline as well, and Zhengyi and Jorgmacdon being involved in the Thayan uprising.

As to how they became Mulan... 108 years passed. Some died. Some married and their kids became Mulan. Some turned renegade.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  16:05:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The ruling zulkirate was originally a collection of secret and powerful cabals manipulating events to get their favoured candidates on the council.

There were lots of these cabals, the Red Wizards were just one such example. The zulkirs also are not always the most powerful specialist in their field.

So way back when, when the zulkirate was formed, the cabals that helped with the rebellion got a voice on that council (each likely had a member per cabal, i doubt if the original zulkirate was even organised around schools of magic).

As members were killed off by peers, or exiled for incompetence/betrayal, or more rarely died of natural causes, then the existing members chose new members from their own allies (based on what their sponsoring master desired) and as naturally happens the council becomes polarised around two groups.

We know there was an uprising of sorts (1130 ish springs to mind but im going off the top of my head here) as the two dominating factions came to blows. Those that lost and those that refused to take sides or couldnt accept the new order were exiled and became renegades.

At this point it is likely a mulan superiority faction came to dominate the council and you have the zulkirate come to resemble what it is now.

So in summary, mixed subrace before reorganisation of the council (rashemmi, nar, mulan, halruaan at a guess) then almost entirely mulan after the reorganisation.

Yeah, it should also be noted that there were "Zulkirs" before there was a "Zulkirate". The original "Zulkirs" were Thayd's lieutenants and weren't necessarily wizards. It should also be noted that there's this odd mixture of stories about the Thayan uprising, because some say that Thayd led it (lore from Ed released at a GenCon which names some of the original Zulkirs in the Zulkirate)... and other say that Ythazz Buvarr led it. I opt for the idea that it was both. It should be noted that Thayd's involvement would have been as some kind of "spirit" that was riding bodies and "burning them out". My third edition take on this is that Thayd is actually a vestige now, and binding him gives a lot of power, but at some kind of cost/disadvantage. I would alter the story to be that a lot of the early red wizards on the "Thayd side" were actually anima mages who were studying the lost lore of the Theurgist Adepts, and over the hundred years following the uprising, many of them were weaned out via death/assassination/mage duels/etc....

My view of Ythazz Buvarr is that he was a lieutenant of Thayd's millennia ago when Thayd was alive. Essentially, Ythazz Buvarr was a theurgist adept of fledgling power levels who survived,, went somewhere else (probably Narfell or the Boneyard or both), became a lich, became entrapped in his phylactery because it was somewhere without a prepared dead body for him to reform into, and his phylactery was discovered by the red wizards of Halruaa (and it was Velsharoon who freed him). Later, after the Zulkirate was formed, Ythazz became a demilich and was eventually entrapped beneath Bezantur.

That's my short version.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  16:20:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

<snip>

<snip>

Kind of true, but not quite. The Zulkirate forming was when the schools of magic thing started. The original Zulkirs were Thayd's lieutenants (it should be noted that that Jorgmacdon is the "first Zulkir of Conjuration", yet the below states that in 1030 it was someone else... so he was one of Thayd's lieutenants who was later bypassed... possibly due to his Narfellian blood?). It should also be noted that Ythazz Buvarr isn't on the list for 1030, but he was essential in the founding of the Zulkirate, so presumably he was the first Zulkir of divination as that one isn't listed. See below from THO, which came from something at GenCon one year

below from said post from THO

Hi again, all.
As promised, Ed has unearthed that handout from GenCon back in 1991 in response to Thauramarth's query about the zulkirs of Thay. Here (Copyright © 1991 by TSR, Inc. but handed out to a seminar audience with verbal permission given by Ed and TSR staffers that it could be reproduced and disseminated freely for use in home Realms campaigns, and this post is precisely that sort of "reproduction") is the text of "what the public can see" (those were Jim Ward's words, I believe) about the rulers of Thay:

TIYARRA ZULKIRATE (= Of the History/Lore of the Zulkirs)
{Ed Greenwood, 1991}

The zulkirs began as Thayd’s inner circle of trusted “loyals” (in their hearts, most of them were anything but, but only one—Ilkrim Hlannadar, better known to Thayan folklore as “the Dragondevoured,” thanks to Thayd’s swift and ruthless reaction to his treachery—ever dared defy him openly). These “loyals” served the founder of Thay as his personal lieutenants, who led Thayan warbands, acted as his messengers, enforcers, and assassins, and helped keep Thayd the dominant wizard in the northern lands wrested from Mulhorand and Unther, and home to many independent mages of power, until the realm of Thay was consolidated.
Originally there were seven zulkirs, then six and five through battle losses. It was only after the death of Thayd that their numbers became set, and linked to specific “schools” of wizardry.
When Thayd fell, a bitter struggle for power followed, in which scores of ambitious wizards perished. Eventually the survivors, brought to reluctant obedience by threat of being trapped in the “Escalthar’s Everlasting Curse” spell that would shapechange them every few breaths, uncontrollably, for the rest of their lives, met with the wizard Escalthar (who had devised that spell, and cast it upon most of those survivors) atop Laltharr, a bare crag (later blasted to rubble in a spell-duel) in southwestern Thay.
This moot later became known as the Council of the Black Star (after the black star mage-sigil used by Escalthar). At the Council it was agreed that there would eight zulkirs, each of them a master of a school of wizardry: Abjuration, Conjuration, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, Necromancy, and Transmutation. (Over the years, the zulkirs of Thay have been almost exclusively Thayan, and male humans, but no zulkirate has any formal requirements of residency, race, or gender.)
Outsiders have been told different wild tales about this or that zulkir, or how the ruling structure of Thay came about, but this is—so far as Mystra has confirmed—the truth.
Elminster and Khelben believe they have uncovered evidence that Escalthar—who mysteriously vanished, shortly after the Council, and has never been seen since (though there are many rumors and fear-whispered tales, down the years since, of his being seen by dying Red Wizards or watching crucial events in the unfolding governance of Thay) was either the god Azuth in disguise, or a pawn of Azuth at the time of the Council, but neither Azuth nor Mystra will confirm this. According to the Old Mage, the two deities, whenever asked about such matters, “merely smile.”
Only Szass Tam has held office (formally, “zulkirate,” though this term has been rarely used in the last two centuries) among the zulkirs in any consistent manner since 1300.
The “First Zulkirate” or initial eight zulkirs, appointed at the Council in the autumn of 1030 DR, were:

Hahlomede Teeos (Abjuration): known as “Blackwyrm” for his everpresent tattered black robes and cloaks, that rendered him immune to dragon attacks and made dragons actively avoid him, Teeos loved to act mysterious and to track down lost treasures, old magics, and deceptions, this last sort of hunting quickly making him very unpopular with many Thayans; he became the feared, tireless, and increasingly hated “investigator” of the First Zulkirate

Tlantros Tulhoond (Conjuration): an aloof, private man who feared attack at all times, and was therefore always ready for battle, with schemes and “hanging” spells galore ready as both defenses and deterrents, in addition to the monsters he could magically whisk from elsewhere to his side; a sophisticated lover of music, wines, subtle behaviour, and “refinement” who opposed Thay’s ever-greater reliance on slavery and the plundering of its resources at the expense of rejuvenating the land (he hated mines and quarries, preferring that Thay take what it needed from other lands by conquest or magical seizure and transportation)

Zarhandro Laeluth (Enchantment): a fat, jovial man who deceived his fellow zulkirs—and everyone else he had any contact with, in life—as much as possible; made frequent use of doubles to make it appear that he was in one place while he was busy in another; often bubbled with gleeful laughter as he tricked or slew or took cruel revenges; trusted by very few, and feared by many, especially tharchions (whom he was known to have personally slain scores of, over the unfolding years, many by torture); a hedonist who loved exotic foods and long, gluttonous feasts

Dlueae Sharshyndree (Evocation): the first female zulkir, Dlueae [pronounced “Dul-LOO-ay”] was a curvaceous woman with a melodious voice and alluring walk—who also had a coarse-featured and mannish face; she “had to shave like a man” and had acquired several disfiguring facial scars in her youthful adventuring career, and as a result customarily hid her face behind full head masks, which she sometimes augmented with a warrior’s battle-helm; a bold and calm battle-leader and a good tactician, she served Thay well in warfare and built ever-increasing influence over her fellow zulkirs, both by taking them as lovers and befriending them with aid and assistance for their personal projects, and by often stating and refining successful policies for Thay that she got her fellow zulkirs to support (and that they therefore took pride in); a mediator and peacemaker among her fellow zulkirs

Yaerind Mahl (Illusion): an inscrutable man of few words and fewer direct answers, stances, or clear statements, who customarily cloaked his true appearance with magical disguises, and preferred to spend much time roaming Thay appearing as various creatures, to spy and learn (and sometimes strike down treachery—which he widely defined as “anything he disliked”—where and when he found it); was the first zulkir to force many apprentices and dupes to pretend to be him, so they perished in attacks meant to slay him, so he could strike down those who’d thought they’d killed the Zulkir of Illusion; possessed a pair of golden lions (figurines of wondrous power) that hunted and slew at his command

Tarabbas Mroound (Necromancy): a tall, sardonic, cadaver-thin man who “disappeared into bones” at will, and apparently did so permanently, soon after being named zulkir, apparently of his own volition and not due to any attack launched by a rival or would-be successor; many Thayan night-rumors insist he lives on, still, watching over Thay and covertly bringing misfortune to those he dislikes, whilst aiding those he favors

Kulvur Naraelond (Transmutation): a sly, witty, smart-mouthed trickster of a man, handsome and acrobatic, who was trusted by few; most men loathed him, and most women found him irresistible; a hedonist who seemingly cared more for enjoyment of food, drink, lovemaking, and diversions—even elaborate pranks—more than anything else in life; made many foes very quickly, and did not last long in office (or life)

The only complete roster of the zulkirate known to outlanders (non-Thayans) after the First Zulkirate but before the 1350s DR, comes from an anonymous slave’s account, TWELVE WINTERS UNDER THE LASH, that was smuggled out of Thay in late 1300 DR. It gives a partial roster of the zulkirate, as follows:

Eldryn Lammaraster (Abjuration): an old, bitter, grim pessimist who saw treachery and would-be successors around ever corner, in every shadow, and behind every door—and prepared himself accordingly, between manyfold layers of defensive magics; his specialty was spells—many of which died with him—that had nasty counter-attacks built into them, triggered by their defensive activation and not by the caster having to trigger them

Balineth Skroun (Conjuration): a toad-faced, forbidding man who used intimidation and prepared “stage tricks” of magic to cow many a rival or defiant underling, Skroun hid well his deep love of Thay and his real loyalty to his fellow zulkirs; over time, became as trusted by his fellow zulkirs as any holder of a zulkirate has ever been, and with good reason; a true “team player” who looked ahead and acted for the betterment of Thay, beneath a surly public mask

Iyrith Telgahlagar (Enchantment): described as a darkly handsome, bearded man who was urbane, soft-spoken, and a master strategist and diplomat, the most dominant of the zulkirs through his skilled forging of alliances with his fellow zulkirs and among the tharchions and tharchionesses; ruthless in slaying rivals who act against him, often through spells delivered by bats that fly under his direction; once described by a Red Wizard as “Asmodeus among us,” and probably the closest of any individual to being the true ruler of Thay, at the time

Uldreth Korroth (Evocation): a grossly fat, lewd, aggressive man known for having layer upon layer of backup spells and schemes, and for being a jovial friend to all zulkirs, and a cruel, ruthless trickster to tharchions, tharchionesses, and all Thayans of lower station whom he had contact with; enjoyed frequent personal slayings of the “spectacular butchery” sort

Mahlind Yarrr (Transmutation): a short, dark-haired, slender man of very few words, who always dressed in crimson robes and was very efficient and a master of foreseeing or anticipating events, treacheries against him, and likely outcomes, and preparing for them; almost always on the “winning side” in policy disputes among the zulkirs, who made few fierce foes and enriched himself greatly with trade outside Thay involving manipulated agents and dupes, in sales of drugs and gems, and prostitution

So saith Ed. His mention of the 1350s DR of course refers to all the published Realmslore (FR6/DREAMS OF THE RED WIZARDS, RED MAGIC, and everything since) that has made the identities, activities, aims, and roster changes of the zulkirs of that era clear to all interested scribes.
So here you are . . . enjoy!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 04 Oct 2010 04:03:29

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2017 :  16:25:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and here's the lore that says Thayd is some kind of spirit. It was from THO in apparently some ask Ed thread.

Hi again, all.
Thauramarth, Thayd survived as an undead sentience (perhaps unique; Ed hasn't said) that could possess living bodies (mammals of all sorts), but "burned them out" rapidly (a matter of two tendays at most). He clung to the company of his lieutenants . . . but eventually vanished, either destroyed by one of them or "lost" when a body burned out "under him" when he couldn't reach another to attack it...or for some other reason or cause, that PERHAPS has him lurking to this day, awaiting a chance to rise again...

So saith Ed, paraphrased by me.
love,
THO

Again, my take on this is one of Thayd being a vestige who gives greater power than normal but at some kind of cost, and many of his followers being anima mages. His "disappearance" was basically when all of his anima mages were maybe killed off and knowledge of the binding ritual to summon him was destroyed. This may have been by Ythazz Buvarr and those who went on to form the Zulkirate, or it may have been other individuals entirely.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000