Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shaaan - Having Her Survive Spellstorm
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  01:49:43  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've decided to resurrect Shaaan, just because I see no point in her being dead.

Trying to think of plausible ways to do it I came up with this.

We know from the Wizards Three that she is a master of contingency chains. So she has a contingency chain set to trigger with her death that switches her body with that of one of the other corpses on the ground (trick spell first seen in Elminster series), then a spell to maintain the effect for a longer duration even semiperm or something.

Then whatever healing/restoration she has to bring her back.

After El does his gate bolstering, she hops through one of the gates and is off to be her badass snakey self once again.

Thoughts?

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  01:56:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alternately, she could have made a zombie double and was never actually there :P but that's less interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  02:14:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a contingency that teleports a clone into her place, and teleports her to a safe spot for some healing?

Or something easier, but going off of your suggestion: She's reduced to negative HP and left for dead. Contingency magics bring her back up to positive HP. She quickly does a polymorph of a convenient corpse, and gets the heck out of there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  03:17:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i stayed away from the clone thing because one of her killers was Vampshoon and the parallel there just seemed wrong; also, theoretically the clone would have needed to be INSIDE the spellstorm some place because she could not teleport anything through it.

Still, the "Trick" spell is basically a double teleport plus a double polymorph or illusion for appearance. She's very old so I see no reason she couldn't know that type of spell, and it would work very well as a contingency. To get around the spellstorm problem I said she'd use it with one of the corpses in the basement. No reason the target needs to be a live body if the trigger is you getting killed.

In the book Shaaan is found dead having poisoned her killers who are lying on the ground insensate... Her throat is cut. I'm thinking that would have been the trigger - a potentially fatal wound puts the contingency magic into motion. They see the "trick" body collapse to the floor dead and then succumb to their poison. They never cast any spells to be sure that the body is anything other than dead (like a speak with dead or true seeing or something) so there is a lot of wiggle room.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  10:47:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? That's it? Shaaan is one of those wizards you just do not mess with. Given a scene like you describe (I never got around to reading that book), I'd readily expect that it was some ruse on her part.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  12:41:08  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - and it happens off-stage. El and the others come and find them there.

This is AFTER a huge spell battle in the basement where she's fighting Vampshoon and Malchor Harpell, siphoning power from a gate controlled by Larloch's liches (who once again are unchained here), and is only "defeated" because Ed did an "I'm a Weavemaster" thing with Elminster and had El save the day.

This is El's description of the death:

“Maraunth Torr tried to kill Shaaan, but was destroyed by her instead. And just now, Malchor and Manshoon, realizing their strength, daggers, and numbers might prevail against Shaaan where their spells could not, overcame their mutual mistrust and burst in on her while she was busy trying to burn heads so the dead could not as easily be magically questioned — the least powerful deadspeech, cast by hedge wizards or most of the wizards of war stationed in their cordon around us, right now, requires an intact head to speak. They destroyed her, but were themselves laid low by her poison.”

The whole thing is like Leira's death - we never see it and someone "confirms" it after the fact for no real reason. Once again, I say it don't smell right, especially given that she is a master of contingency magic. It makes no sense that she had none and could just be stabbed to death by wizards. Nonsense :)

That's one more super-powerful wizard still at large in the realms in my book.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  15:22:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps she's used her unique contingency spell "soulserpent" that sees her soul travel into any nearby serpent (even a tiny rocksnake) on "death". The snake in question has 24 hours to sink its fangs into another human or humanoid which acts as a soul transfer mechanism and sees her take over that host body, which slowly reforms into her own form over the course of tenday. Shaaan the Serpent Queen lives!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  16:01:08  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Perhaps she's used her unique contingency spell "soulserpent" that sees her soul travel into any nearby serpent (even a tiny rocksnake) on "death". The snake in question has 24 hours to sink its fangs into another human or humanoid which acts as a soul transfer mechanism and sees her take over that host body, which slowly reforms into her own form over the course of tenday. Shaaan the Serpent Queen lives!

-- George Krashos

Based on her power and longevity i would think this is perfect. Being knifed to death is something I have no doubt she would have a backup plan for.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2019 :  18:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Krash, even if you had never before done so, this post would have proven your brilliance! That is an awesome idea, and it's getting incorporated into my own headcanon. It's creative, reasonable, and thematically appropriate. Bravo, good sir!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 May 2019 18:28:45
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  01:42:26  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

One of my first thoughts was some kind of magic jar effect. I like the uniqueness and flavor of this Krash.

I think I might add chain effects to this as well (as that's her specialty), possibly opening a door akin to Halaster's monster fetching magic or a magedoor to grab a serpent from somewhere just in case none were around, protections for the snake once she's in it, etc.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  01:45:16  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if she bit a wizard and could thereby siphon off the spells in his/her mind it would be a great way to become more powerful over time at the expense of ones enemies, as well as a good way to bypass aging.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  02:20:32  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps she's used her unique contingency spell "soulserpent" that sees her soul travel into any nearby serpent (even a tiny rocksnake) on "death". The snake in question has 24 hours to sink its fangs into another human or humanoid

That's fun, but it would require both a snake and a human[oid] to be close to wherever she gets in a serious trouble.
Could be good as a second layer of contingencies, however. In that if used as a fallback for some more common emergency soul jar (remote lichnee style or clone, or just jewelry), a living body like this would give her chance to leave a ward or other blocking area, or maybe even find way back when out of home plane.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  03:54:59  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Perhaps she's used her unique contingency spell "soulserpent" that sees her soul travel into any nearby serpent (even a tiny rocksnake) on "death". The snake in question has 24 hours to sink its fangs into another human or humanoid

That's fun, but it would require both a snake and a human[oid] to be close to wherever she gets in a serious trouble.
Could be good as a second layer of contingencies, however. In that if used as a fallback for some more common emergency soul jar (remote lichnee style or clone, or just jewelry), a living body like this would give her chance to leave a ward or other blocking area, or maybe even find way back when out of home plane.

That;s why i said it would need a summon spell like Halaster's that would grab her a target serpent. Way too many places where no snakes are at hand.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  07:13:43  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK - here's my write up of Krash's spell idea. The love child of magic jar, Elminster's evasion, and mage tunnel.

Shaaan’s Soul Serpent
(Necromancy / Alteration / Evocation)
Level: 9
Range: 10 yards per level
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1 turn
Area of Effect: Caster (special)
Saving Throw: Special

A customized version of the contingency spell slanted toward the preservation of the Serpent Queen, this spell will cause, under certain specific conditions, a series of effects to occur in order, one at a time and once per round after its eventual activation. When casting this spell, the wizard must detail six specific conditions under which the spell will activate, taking effect (days or perhaps years later). The conditions Shaaan uses for activation are: 1. Upon her own death (whenever she reaches 0 hit points); 2. Upon loss of her mental faculties; 3. Upon loss of her physical faculties; 4. Upon destruction of both upper limbs; 5. Upon destruction of total body volume; 6. Upon her failing to make a system shock survival role.

In the first round, the caster’s mind, and spirit to become disembodied, leaving her physical form an empty shell. The disembodied caster can then transfer his or her life force into the body of any serpentine being (including any monstrous or animal species ranging from powerful yuan-ti or nagas to common rock snakes) within spell range, possessing the target creature for use as a transitional vessel to effect a soul exchange with another. On the next round, the magic opens up a magical passageway to draw forth a serpentine being from afar to be used as this vessel for life force exchange. Finally, the serpent so inhabited with the caster’s life force is rendered invisible (as the 4th level spell improved invisibility) on the fourth round, and undetectable (as the 3rd level spell nondetection) on the fifth round; both of these effects last for up to an hour, but may be dismissed by the caster at any time.

The magical gateway created by this spell opens somewhere within 100 yards of the caster’s disembodied spirit and connects to a predetermined area known to the caster no more than 1,000 miles away. Any serpentine being within 5 feet of either opening must then make a successful surprise roll or be immediately drawn into the tunnel, sucked through it, and expelled at the other end. Furthermore, the victim at the opposite end of the passage must roll for surprise with a -2 penalty, since the appearance of the gateway unexpected. The disembodied caster is not affected by this, need not roll to resist the suction, and may not enter the gateway.

The magic of the soul serpent spell enables the caster to transfer her life force into the body of any serpentine being within spell range of the wizard’s body. The wizard’s life force shifts into the serpent over the course of one round, allowing no other actions. After possessing the serpent’s body, the spell caster may choose to pass through the gateway or to allow it to fade. At this point, she has 24 hours in which to select and bite an intended target, enabling a second exchange of life forces – this time the exchange is between the spell caster (from the serpent’s body) and another humanoid creature, thus enabling the caster to take over and control the body of the humanoid, while the life force of the victim confined in the serpent.

While in the serpentine body, the caster can sense any life force within a 100’-per-level radius (on the same plane); unlike similar magics (such as the more common spell magic jar) the exact creature types and relative physical positions can be readily determined. In a group of life forces, the caster can determine differences in levels or Hit Dice and determine whether a life force is positive or negative energy. For example, if two fighters are attacking a giant and four ogres, the caster can determine which is the strongest life force within range. Based on this information, the caster can decide whether to try to take over a given creature. An attempt to take over a host body requires a successful attack roll, which indicates the serpent has bitten the target and the caster may attempt the life force exchange. The attempt is blocked by a protection from evil spell or similar ward. It is successful only if the subject fails a saving throw vs. spell with a special modifier (see following). The saving throw is modified by subtracting the combined Intelligence and Wisdom scores of the target from those of the spellcaster (Intelligence and Hit Dice in nonhuman or nonhumanoid creatures). This modifier is added to (or subtracted from) the die roll.

Difference Die Adjustment Difference Die Adjustment
-9 or less +3 +1 to +4 -1
-8 to -6 +2 +5 to +8 -2
-5 to -3 +1 +9 to +12 -3
-2 to 0 0 +13 or more -4

A negative score indicates that the spellcaster has a lower total than the target; thus, the host has a saving throw bonus. Failure to take over the host leaves the wizard’s life force in the serpent’s body. If successful, the caster’s life force occupies the host body and the host’s life force is either confined in the serpent’s body or is retained but subdued by the spell caster. If confined to the serpent’s body, it enters a period of hibernation of not less than one week, during which time the life force of the target humanoid is consumed, restoring the serpent and giving it an additional 1d4 Hit Dice.

The caster can call upon the learned, rudimentary or instinctive knowledge of the subject creature (i.e., the wizard automatically knows the language and spells of the creature). The caster retains his own attack rolls, class knowledge and training, and any adjustments due to his Intelligence or Wisdom. If the necessary spell components are available, the caster can even use the being’s memorized spells (or her own), or may elect to record such lore for future use. The host body retains its own hit points and physical abilities and properties for the time being. The DM decides if any additional modifications are necessary; for example, perhaps clumsiness or inefficiency occurs if the caster must become used to the new form. The alignment of the host or receptacle is that of the occupying life force. A dispel magic spell cast on the host has no effect (unless the host was under the effect of some other magic). Alternatively, a Mordenkainen’s disjuction, or a properly worded limited wish, or wish spell cast on the host can drive the caster’s life force back into the serpent and prevent him from making any attacks for 1d4 rounds plus 1 round per level of the caster of the hostile magic. The base success chance is 50%, plus or minus 5% per level difference between the casters.

If the host body is slain, the caster returns to the receptacle, if within range, and the life force of the host departs (i.e., it is dead). If the host body is slain beyond the range of the spell, both the host and the caster die. Any life force with nowhere to go is treated as slain unless recalled by a raise dead, resurrection, or similar spell.

However, if the caster’s life force remains within the host body for a period of longer than 24 hours, the two become permanently linked it and the body begins a slow transformation into the caster’s own form. This transformation takes place over the course of a tenday, and is irreversible. If the caster elected to retain and subsume to victim’s life force, during this process it gets consumed, and can be used to provide the caster’s newly reformed body with either +1 Str (to a maximum of the humanoid’s body), +1 Con (to a maximum of 18), or -1d4 years of physical age per hit dice of the victim creature.

The material components of this spell are a pint of the caster’s blood, a shed snakeskin, and an emerald worth at least 5,000 gp which are consumed in the casting of the spell. The spell caster also immediately loses 1d4 hit points that remain lost until the soul serpent spell is triggered, at which point they can be recovered normally.

Edited by - The Masked Mage on 14 May 2019 07:16:26
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  14:29:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

That;s why i said it would need a summon spell like Halaster's that would grab her a target serpent. Way too many places where no snakes are at hand.

Not necessarily. She could keep a snake on her person, in magical stasis, either in a pocket/pouch or as an adornment, like jewelry. The contingency magic -- or the soul transfer -- would lift that stasis.

Or just tweak it a bit and say that she's got a snake stashed away somewhere, and it acts like a phylactery. Sure, it's kinda Voldemort-ish, but it's still thematically appropriate and sidesteps the issue of not having a handy serpent.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  15:11:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shaaan actually has a bunch of snakes stashed on her person. Just saying.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2019 :  15:58:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

You know that you're making me re-read your old write-up of her, don't you?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  00:37:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I love this concept, its very much like when I had someone using soul transfer from the Complete Necromancer's Handbook as part of a contingent effect. But for balance I'd recommend making it that the serpent has to be prepared in some form similar to a phylactery or demilich's soul gems. Maybe make it that its fangs are actually gems, but unless someone knows to explicitly look they'd never know. Or have it that the snake actually is some kind of piece of jewelry that looks like a snake and when affected BECOMES a living snake (or even a snakelike construct that LOOKS like a real snake). In doing so, it becomes a little more powerful than a magic jar in that you can maneuver it. If whenever her soul transfers this piece of jewelry that looks snakelike also disappears via a contingency, it probably won't be noticed much (especially if it was a relatively hidden piece of jewelry like an armband under her sleeve that unwinds itself and leaves under invisibility, or a snake that encircled her chest as part of a bra and whose hooks at the back were the mouth biting its own tail). This would be a cool way to die and still not become undead, because you can then transfer into another body via the snakebite.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 15 May 2019 00:49:37
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  01:45:13  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

May I see the write up? Didn't know it even existed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  02:10:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

May I see the write up? Didn't know it even existed.

Check out Volume IV of the Candlekeep Compendium.

(I cheated, though -- I have the original Word doc, and I just pulled that up to read it)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 May 2019 02:13:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000