Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 What is going on in FR land?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  05:38:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Do I even want to know? Can I even fathom?

Jeeze, I was 26 last time I logged in, lol. And I have an AIM account synced to my profile, even bigger lol.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 17 Oct 2016 05:41:36

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2016 :  06:56:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Lord Karsus.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  15:28:13  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look who returns!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  15:50:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats going on is the novels are over (unconfirmed). Sourcebooks are no more. We get a published super adventure (not describing quality) a year.

On the plus side there has been an explosion of fan made stuff which you can now sell on the DMs Guild. Im not a fan of the implementation because everywhere is swamped with 5e stuff and the quality is highly variable. But it does mean we might see some stuff by Ed Greenwood. George Krashos has released a few things on there.

Basically canon is dead but we may see a fan reinvention of the setting. You just need to be able to filter out the trash.

Given your past work on fan made material now could not be a better time to return. The realms is dead, long live the realms. As they say when something dies but the instition or idea lives on.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  16:00:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Basically what dazzlerdal said. They used a huge deus ex machina (the Sundering) to bring back *a lot* of stuff, and to undo most of 4e (or even events that came before it), but the explanation leaves much to be desired, and the details are very vague for most things. It's some kind of weird in-world partial reboot. They are *slowly* adding some more details through their super adventures, and they provided tidbits about many characters/gods/organizations/regions (plus details about certain events) through the novels (although they are likely ending this year) but yeah, you have a lot of freedom. Not that it wasn't the case before, tho...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Oct 2016 16:02:32
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  19:19:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, just to make sure I'm getting it right:

They undid a lot of stuff the big, sweeping changes- many of which either went unexplained or under explained- using big, sweeping changes- a lot of which either hasn't really been explained or will be "in due time". Sourcebooks are a thing of the past, they aren't writing novels anymore (TBC), and the only sources of new info are bits and trickles that come out once a year, so "in due time" might be a really, really long time.

Oy vey.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  19:24:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup that's it. Which is why I suggested to embrace the fan made revolution that is occurring.

People are starting to realise that official canon is worth squat (it really is that bad in 1499) so make your own and people might use it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2016 :  19:35:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

OK, just to make sure I'm getting it right:

They undid a lot of stuff the big, sweeping changes- many of which either went unexplained or under explained- using big, sweeping changes- a lot of which either hasn't really been explained or will be "in due time". Sourcebooks are a thing of the past, they aren't writing novels anymore (TBC), and the only sources of new info are bits and trickles that come out once a year, so "in due time" might be a really, really long time.

Oy vey.

There is one sourcebook that provides a summary of the status quo of the settings, the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. But yeah, it's very details-lite on why things are how they currently are. For example, for most gods (not all) the explanation of their return (and that includes even the likes of Myrkul and Leira, so it's not only about those removed in 3e or 4e) is "people just thought they were dead, but in truth they had just withdrawn for some reason", or "they are back and have amassed new followers, but we don't know how. However, since gods can resurrect people, it makes sense for them to be able to come back", or "Ao did it", and other stuff along those lines.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Oct 2016 19:37:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2016 :  03:08:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, after ten years or whatever it's bee, we're back at square one. This is fine.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2016 :  20:45:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. We are far from the richness of late 2nd edition FR. 3E/3.5 was less detailed and more crunchy than 2nd Ed., but at least they were still delivering neat sourcebooks, adventures, etc. with some very decent art and lots of gooddies done by Ed.

Myrkul and Leira?!?? wow! did they retcon Kelemvor, Cyric and Midnight out of existence? LOL
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  01:34:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are all still there, their portfolios changed to make room for everyone. For example, Myrkul is the god of death and decay as forces of nature, Kel is judge and god of the dead.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  05:18:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, after ten years or whatever it's bee, we're back at square one. This is fine.

Thanks for the recap, all. I'm in agreement with Lord Karsus. The less they're publishing, the more the world is ours now.

Better than fine; that's awesome.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 08 Nov 2016 05:30:14
Go to Top of Page

Elren_Wolfsbane
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2016 :  21:06:21  Show Profile Send Elren_Wolfsbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Back Karsus. I'm excited to see what They're doing in 5e. Yet they're leaving a lot to the DM and players, which is great. I do need to read up on some material on the Dm's Guild

Aa' lasser en`coialle n`natula brown.

(May the leaves of your life tree never turn brown)

-Elren Wolfsbane
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2016 :  20:15:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh
Thanks for the recap, all. I'm in agreement with Lord Karsus. The less they're publishing, the more the world is ours now.

Better than fine; that's awesome.

That was a sarcastic "this is fine", like the dog in the webcomic.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2016 :  20:53:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly think that undoing a lot of the damage done at the end of 3e and with 4e was needed, but the way they did that was very cheap.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Nov 2016 20:53:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Entrails
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  19:51:10  Show Profile Send Lord Entrails a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone have a list of suggested products on the DMsGuild or elsewhere for current/5E non-canon info?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  02:24:12  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That was a sarcastic "this is fine", like the dog in the webcomic.

Oh. Whoops, my bad!

I can see and agree with the sarcastic take, too. There's been a lot of dubya-tee-eff ever since WotC took over. In my opinion, publishing nothing would be a better move than publishing 4e, but I get that not everyone is into generating 100% of their own campaign material. Plus, it's frustrating that that someone is retaining all the copyrights while going "downhill" essentially preventing anyone else from picking up the torch and publishing great official material at a 1e/2e/3e pace.

I'm not normally one to play devil's advocate on WotC's behalf but it's possible that they're under a mandate to generate a profit for some length of time before Hasbro will give them their previous budget back. Publishing anything with a budget of zero dollars is a tough spot to be in.

We've all held on this long; I think we can hang out a bit more. Obviously we'll be developing our own campaign material in the meantime but I remain optimistic that either WotC will come around or Hasbro will sell the IP to recoup their lost profits.
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2017 :  08:20:48  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FR is now the default campaign setting, they're making a movie, some authors quit and the rest haven't been offered contracts, we are getting two adventures a year and a big crunchbook they've been gearing up for with weekly unearthed arcana. We we got Volo's guide, a Mm2 with fluff, and the Scag, a forgotten realms campaign guide. Here's to hoping they keep publishing novels and are just really caught up in movie production or are preparing to outsource publishing.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2017 :  01:07:47  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spectralballoons

...they're making a movie...

Well, that's uh, something else. Could be cool?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Spectralballoons
Acolyte

Pakistan
48 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2017 :  13:32:59  Show Profile Send Spectralballoons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Big changes are that zhentarim have gone from evil to neautral. Tieflings and dragonborn are PHB core races. 4e spellplague has been undone. During 4e abeir was jlined with toril, tgey've been reseparated now. Dragonborn come from abeir. Asmodeus changed all tiefling on toril to be with standard devil horns and tail. Overgod Ao has decreed that tne power of gods depends kn hoa widespread their reljgikn is, so now they depend om their mortal followers for brlief.Eerything else is mostly reverted to end of 2e/startof 3e.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2017 :  02:31:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man. I'm making a character for a game I'm gonna be playing in for the first time in like five years, give or take, and I forgot how fun it is opening all the books and picking feats and classes and PrCs and so on.

I honestly thought I was done with D&D and all of that stuff forever, but it's nice getting back into it. And none of that even has to do with FR. If I could get back into that now...Honestly, I've been trying but it just isn't working.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000