Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 'To Wake a God'
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kryose
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  17:58:03  Show Profile Send Kryose a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
'To Wake a God' is the name of my new campaign, well the name I have placed upon it. Allow me to use 1 line to inspire a thought of many thoughts; "A new church of Auppenser would have many obstacles to face - the most important being how to awaken their deity."
Now let me start, that this campaign is unlike any I have DM'd before for it is a Drow campaign, full-on evil with noble houses, slaves, matron mothers striving for ever more power; yes, everything a Middledark City may bring.
I started by picking a city strife with intrigue, power & religious faith so yes, I chose Eryndlyn. No maps were found & very little info is to be had here or many other sites, so I have had to build from the ground up. Now I wanted the PC's to be part of a low-noble Drow house but did allow the option of being a slave but one of the most important factor in most Drow campaigns has to be religion. So naturally Eryndlyn fit the bill with 3 faiths warring for supremacy, each on their individual plateaus, plying their trades to build wealth & undermining rival houses all the while trying to gain the upper hand of power to one day wipe out the other faiths. As fate would have it, the faith of Lolth, although the strongest of the 3, never had the power to wipe out the combined forces of Ghaunadaur & Vhaeraun & vice versa, until the 'Silence of Lolth'.
I seem to have gone off on a rant but oh well. I wanted a long campaign, much in the spirit of the AP's from Dragon/Paizo. So the idea is spawned from Lolth to awaken the god Auppenser. For it was the power of High Elven magic that destroyed a culture, much in the same way that the surface elves destroyed the dark elf society. Yes, this campaign is built on Araushnee's need for revenge. Does she think Auppenser will want revenge for the near extinction of his religion or will he consider that part of the balance? Perhaps, Lolth can wrest the power from Auppenser if he deems his people were at fault.
The way I see "my" Realms is this, religion plays a major role in everything we do, we are but pawns in a greater game. It takes a Gods idea, planted into a young noble Drow & grows into something more. Sometimes all you need is a seed & some water & time. The young drow noble will eventually grow into a matron mother but also harbor something else, a spark of latent psionic energy, something she has fought to hide & bury but has been cultivated by Lolth herself. Eventually she will realize her mission in life, to Awaken a sleeping god to wreak havoc upon the surface elves for their atrocities. All the while she is planting seeds in her children as well, the ones that are "touched" that is, the rest, killed. These children are what is going to help her achieve her goals, to reach her full potential & to be favored by Lolth.

Anyways, maybe a bit jumbled & such but thats the idea. I still need to figure out how to wake a god. Unlock hidden powers in others? Psychic surgery? Search for lost items of power? Where does he rest? What of Mystra, since she is the one who put him to sleep rather than die? Which surface elves will face the anger of the Gods? or will it turn into a Godwar against the Seldarine?

Edited by - Kryose on 14 Jul 2016 18:02:06

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  19:11:42  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, in theory, the bodies of dead gods float about in the Astral plane. Perhaps you could have a planar adventure
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  20:11:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge fan of Auppenser... But as long as he's been asleep, I don't see him having enough power to be of any real benefit to Lolth -- if he had enough power, he'd not still be asleep.

Waking up a god that may or may not do what you want doesn't seem the most likely path for causing issues for surface elves, either... And even if he woke up and was incredibly anti-elven, I don't see how that changes things in this drow city, or does much for Lolth other than bugging the Seldarine.

Going for a drow-centered religious war... I think my personal approach would be to figure out a way to subvert the Ithyak-Orteel (also known as the Elf-Eater) and get it to serve Lolth (perhaps under the alias of a human power, such as Moander), then unleash it in the city to wipe out the other factions. Of course, there is some fail-safe enabling it to be contained and not take out the "good guys" in this scenario.

Or flip that, and have the PCs trying to keep a rival faction from getting the Ithyak-Orteel on their side.

Yet another alternative approach would be to get the Eldreth Veluuthra to step up their plots, and try to trigger a full-on war between humans and elves. That gives you the anti-elf angle, though -- like the idea of Auppenser slaying elves -- I don't see how that does much to aid Lolth or to change things in this city.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kryose
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  21:08:13  Show Profile Send Kryose a Private Message  Reply with Quote

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
His body floating in the Astral Plane reminds me of the Manual of the Planes or the Dead Gods from Spelljammer although this is slightly different since he is "sleeping".So I don't think I will go with that idea. His home plane is Dweomerheart, his Realm the Tranquil grounds, so perhaps this is where he sleeps?

Go to Top of Page

Kryose
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  21:47:55  Show Profile Send Kryose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well from everything I have read, it states Auppenser is beginning to awaken, due to possible increased activity in Hlondeth. So we can assume he is coming around due to this increased activity whether its by the use of psionics or perhaps by actual lip service to Auppenser or even both. I feel the power of a "sleeping" god has more power than a dead god, like Vhaeraun post 1375. Vhaeraun was killed yet 100 years later he was brought back & spread the word via an avatar. What I'm saying is, crazier things have happened in the realms than what I am proposing.

As far as using the Elf-Eater, i'm kinda opposed to that idea. It doesn't feel appropriate to this idea.

As far as the religious war. The Lolth faction of Eryndlyn falls, this is written but what the PC's do before , during & after is up to them. Is it a bit of railroading? yes, but I feel that this is also another "test" of Lolth.

Maybe I'm trying to throw too much at this idea. But I like the idea being planted in an ambitious drow who rises to power, has psionic powers along with her priestly might & begins her quest to wake the god. For waking a god, especially if he is weakened still grants more power to Lolth if she kills him & assumes his psionic domain thereby gaining more followers/power. Yes, do I think Auppenser coming back & wreaking havoc would be cool? OMG yes! But honestly, even I have a hard time seeing why he would do this. I'm just trying to tie it all together. I mean, it is an evil campaign after all, the bad guys are allowed to win from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  23:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice idea. As it should be drow centered I do not see a need to include Aupenser this much. I would suggest that Lloth has decided to try a new angle in gaining more power by trying to hold psionic domain for her own. She first changes some drows so they are born with psionic talent and make them aware it was a gift from her. In this way the knowledge would spread and this helps her to solidify her claim on this domain. Unforseen consequence of this might be that rising use of psionics wake up Aupenser who is not that happy that Lloth is trying to steal his domain.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2016 :  00:30:02  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming you are doing a 3.5 campaign, since you mention dweomerheart and that was destroyed supposedly during the spellplague.

If you're doing drow and psionics, you might have some drow that are either from house Oblodra of Menzoberranzan (Kimmuriel Oblodra who works for Bregan D'aerthe still lives, so there may be others) or which learned some of the secrets of that house (according to the wiki article on House Oblodra, apparently in the 4e product Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue its revealed that they were implanting illithid tadpoles into the heads of Oblodrans to somehow instill latent psionics).

I'd also recommend involving duergar and deep duerra somehow.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2016 :  11:01:32  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The classical fantasy way to wake up a god, is first to make sure the god got a cult, and worship. As example, in the books of Raymond E Feist.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  19:05:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moander apparently only required a handful of worshippers. In fact, I think only one was a seriously and genuine devoted Believer Of The Rotten Old Faith (since the others were only interested in using this person to tap divine power for the creation of living automatons). And lookit! Moander immediately resumed his stature in the Realms as a living god after not being seen for millennia, then he stuck around as a potent divine nemesis all throughout the 2E and 3E eras.

Then again, Karsus has had numerous followers and many aborted cults over the centuries. Dozens and dozens of cults, I think. Yet he was never able to reascend to his divine station (or, indeed, offer any other signs of continuing to be alive or awake, lol).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  19:26:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reawakening a god can be as easy or as hard as you want to make it. All you really need is a massive infusion of power, enough to make you the equivalent of a 30+ level human (i believe elminster has been said to be more powerful than a demigod).

However once you are a god the problems really begin. You need a divine realm to stay safe from material world dangers, you need to produce and maintain an avatar, you need to manifest powers to gain worshippers, you need to provide spells to those worshippers, you need to defend yourself and your followers.

All of that takes power, that powerrl comes from worship. If you dont have massive power reserves when you become a god then that will quickly get burned up and if you dont get new power from worship then you starve to death while being unable to manifest any powers at all to prove you are alive.

Auppenser may not be dead/sleeping at all. He may be voluntarily conserving all remaining energy because he knows that without worship he will die. He can probably survive indefinitely if he does nothing at all. The minute he starts doing anything godly he starts using energy and if he has none left then he ends up like kozah in BG the computer game.

So what auppenser needs first and foremost is a massive boost of power. What he needs after that is some worshippers. Hopeful the actions he performs after the power boost will gain him worshippers.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2016 :  22:51:33  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So waking a god is a kickstarter camapaign :-D
It seems to me that Ao made gods more depending on mortals to remind them of their domains not to focus on harvesting mana from them. That might be a interesting consequence of ToT that gods did not learn just adapted...
It could be interesting to note that it also make sense that after some time there will be some changes in power structure of gods due to worship or lack of it.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  07:09:54  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised during the Spellplague there wasn't a surge of psionically active people after the really big Far Realm presence that existed. I'm sure this would have led to a discovery of the sleeping god which would produce new worshippers.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 18 Jul 2016 07:11:02
Go to Top of Page

BrianDavion
Seeker

71 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  12:21:01  Show Profile Send BrianDavion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the big question is did the 2nd sundering change the post TOT status quo in regards to where divine power came from.
Go to Top of Page

Kryose
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2016 :  16:49:24  Show Profile Send Kryose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised during the Spellplague there wasn't a surge of psionically active people after the really big Far Realm presence that existed. I'm sure this would have led to a discovery of the sleeping god which would produce new worshippers.quote][/quote]

Perhaps this is another reason he has begun to stir from his slumber? Either that or Mystra had foreseen the future release of 4th Ed. & wanted no part, therein setting up her own murder...

Unfortunately they wrote in about low power gods & such being ripped asunder & such other bad things that I doubt Auppenser had much of a chance without Mystra's protection.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  01:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of people decided to not continue to follow canon lore past sundering. It is up to you if you want this in your camapign or not. As the same happened with ToT there is a lot of player groups that play "in the past" and are happy about that.

I really like your sentence "Mystra had forseen release of 4th Ed. & wanted no part". As official lore is supposedly given to us by Ed writing knowledge gained from Elminster who is chosen of Mystra... it actually make sense and 4th wall joke in the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  02:04:56  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think few beings would want any part in an event (like the Sundering) in which they foresaw their own inevitable and inescapable doom.

And why assume that a Chosen would possess all the knowledge possessed by the patron deity? Mystra is, by her very nature, a goddess of mysteries, lol, her Chosen were chosen because of their abilities to discover and decipher arcane secrets through their own initiatives, she would hardly reveal everything she knows to them without *very* good reason.

Can't say I like the way the Realms has become a completely deterministic world, filled with unavoidable fates and predestined edition changes.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 19 Jul 2016 02:08:09
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  14:53:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kryose

I'm surprised during the Spellplague there wasn't a surge of psionically active people after the really big Far Realm presence that existed. I'm sure this would have led to a discovery of the sleeping god which would produce new worshippers.quote]

Perhaps this is another reason he has begun to stir from his slumber? Either that or Mystra had foreseen the future release of 4th Ed. & wanted no part, therein setting up her own murder...

Unfortunately they wrote in about low power gods & such being ripped asunder & such other bad things that I doubt Auppenser had much of a chance without Mystra's protection.
[/quote]

Hmmm, this might be a stretch mind you.... and I'm known for stretches... but what if Mystra's "death" didn't make her home plane of dweomerheart implode per se. What if somehow (and I haven't built up any plot line of how mind you) it were shunted to Abeir as part of the spellplague, such that Abeir now has possibly SEVERAL godly planes that existed during 3e but don't exist in the realms anymore.

For instance, Heliopolis where the Mulhorandi gods lived may have transferred over. Now they are back, but they're back through earthly chosen again. Maybe this is because they have no plane of their own. The Untheric gods as well are earthbound, though they've always seemed to prefer taking on direct leadership... but maybe they wouldn't mind having a plane as well. As a result, might these two pantheons be willing to work together and seize a plane of another set of gods?

Along these same lines, the Maztican deities probably had their own plane, and possibly it is transferred to Abeir. If this is true, then Maztica may be having the same issue as the Mulhorandi / Untheric peoples.

If this idea is one that you like, perhaps Auppenser is still entrapped in dweomerheart, but in Abeir.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  18:27:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I seem to have gone off on a rant but oh well. I wanted a long campaign, much in the spirit of the AP's from Dragon/Paizo.

?
quote:
So the idea is spawned from Lolth to awaken the god Auppenser.

I suppose she could help a neutral third party just to get her enemies in more of a pickle, but don't see any opening for this in the actual lore.
Sure, appearing "heirs of Jhaamdath" and/or a preemptive strike against the Emerald Enclave ("why these guys nicely coexist with the Yuan-ti for now, again?") painting it as an obvious Elven ploy could push the surface elves out of balance, but
1) this in itself doesn't benefit the spider-loving drow faction in any obvious way, and
2) the Stupid Surface Elves already do enough of exploitable stupid things on their own.
Politically, it would make more sense to send some infiltrators (and neutral contacts) to help with exposing Eldreth Veluuthra. Which is a much more obvious and meaningful target, both for Lolth (EV has a limited alliance with the Vhaeraunites) and the drow (EV messing with the human trade at a wrong place may actually threaten the prosperity of drow cities).
quote:
For it was the power of High Elven magic that destroyed a culture, much in the same way that the surface elves destroyed the dark elf society.

How so, and why would the drow care much about crude forms that didn't survive the test?
quote:
Yes, this campaign is built on Araushnee's need for revenge. Does she think Auppenser will want revenge for the near extinction of his religion or will he consider that part of the balance?

It's irrelevant. Either way, he will have to grow power, while Tyr and the Elves would mistrust him a lot.
The new Mystra with her team is an unknown factor, but she isn't very jumpy about "rivals" and may get a notion that mixing the two things may be a fun idea too.
quote:
The young drow noble will eventually grow into a matron mother but also harbor something else, a spark of latent psionic energy, something she has fought to hide & bury

Why the Abyss would one do so? It's power - and what's more, a good counter to/insurance against the illithids.
quote:
but has been cultivated by Lolth herself.

Or much, much simpler: some gith blood.
quote:
Eventually she will realize her mission in life, to Awaken a sleeping god to wreak havoc upon the surface elves for their atrocities.

To wreak havoc upon the surface elves for their atrocities is always good fun, sure, but there are more obvious targets and easier ways for that, see above.
quote:
Which surface elves will face the anger of the Gods? or will it turn into a Godwar against the Seldarine?

More like, lots of backstabbing and finger-pointing on Prime, which is also fun to watch.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  18:38:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, and just thinking about the above idea.... Auppenser is known to be represented by gem dragons. Could he actually be a dragon "deity"/"primordial" like Bahamut and Tiamat who has human followers... and just like Bahamut and Tiamat were returning to Toril around the time following the time of troubles... maybe Auppenser was also waking up because the return of Bahamut and Tiamat was bringing back some kind of dragon conflict that he would be involved in (or that this was the "Turning of the Great Cycle" foretold in the draconomicon). It might fit Auppenser as a "dragon" god falling into a deep sleep for millennia as a means to survive without followers.... and also to note it may be that the reason that Auppenser isn't dead is due not to his remaining psionic human worshippers..... perhaps he has surviving gem dragon worshippers (even if only a single one).

Just to throw out another wonky thing, not necessarily related, but interesting to the activities that occurred with the spellplague. Beneath Unther, there was a great wyrm blue dragon worshipped by some people of Unther, Maldraedior, also known as the Millenium Dragon(see 2nd edition Draconomicon). Maldraedior#146;s physical body is a 20-foot-long, half-mummified, shriveled form. It is incapable of fighting or defending itself. It fights by creating a projected image, which it then manifests and casts spells through. This dragon has lived in Unther for "nearly 3 thousand years" (so it arrived there maybe a little before the time of the opening of the Orcgates and during which Bahamut/Marduk and Tiamat were involved... which at the time of the 2nd edition draconomicon would have been about ~2500 year prior) Then it goes on further to note: "Maldraedior has only two real interests: knowledge and magic. Maldraedior has very extensive interests as a sage" and "Maldraedior has one absolute passion that he will not reveal save in exceptional circumstances. Maldraedior is the last true worshiper of a draconic demipower, Kalzareinad, minor deity of draconic magic (Neutral [Evil])."

and
"It is a splendid irony that Maldraedior is himself revered by humans who consider him a god, while Maldraedior#146;s only major reason for staying alive is his role as
the last servant and worshiper of this all-but-lost demipower. Maldraedior passionately reveres this deity and hopes that by acquiring magic he may contact other
dragons (primarily blues) and convert them to Kalzareinad#146;s cult."

**********below excerpted from Draconomicon 2nd edition, page 25

Many dragons who do worship deities follow the same alignment-specific gods as do humans and demihumans. For example, there are many red dragons who worship Bane, Loviatar, and Malar, while a number of gold dragons revere Tyr or Torm. Although it may seem strange that dragons would worship deities who are generally perceived as humaniform, there is a philosophical reason. Many sages, some of them dragons, believe that the gods of the Realms are actually multifaceted forces who appear to their worshipers in forms that those worshipers can understand. Thus, Tyr isn't innately a human god; that's just the way he manifests himself to human worshipers. To draconic worshipers, so the philosophy goes, Tyr would appear as a mighty gold dragon, wreathed in glory; to lammasu he would manifest himself as a celestial lammasu.

There are some specifically draconic gods, but these deities seem to have decreased in influence over the millennia. There are still some dragons that worship these ancient Powers, but such devout individuals seem to be diminishing in number. Most dragons now worship either the human gods, in other aspects, of course,or worship no gods at all.

*******below excerpted from the 2nd edition Draconomicon, 2nd edition, page30

Twilight of the Gods
All dragon religions share one belief: That the purely draconic deities are somehow dependent for their very existence on the continued belief of their followers. Should a draconic deity lose all worshipers. in other words, if no living dragon continued to believein that deity.he would cease to exist. (According to this belief, several of the members of the old draconic pantheon vanished from the multiverse centuries ago.)

This has a significant consequence for those few dragons who do still believe in draconic deities.These dragons feel that it's vital for them to find new worshipers for their gods. (They see the feared possibility that they might be the last faithful dragons in the world, and realize their deaths would mean nonexistence for their gods.) Thus, these dragons are vigorous missionaries, trying to convert members of their species, and sometimes dragons of other species, to their faith.

Another interesting consequence is that a dragon that follows a particularly unpopular god, where the odds are actually quite good that the dragon is the last worshiper of that god, realizes that its death also means oblivion for the god. Such a dragon would do whatever is necessary to stay alive, whether this involves surrender, dishonor, dishonesty, or even loss of its hoard.

A draconic myth known to most species talks of a "turning of the Great Cycle". When that date -- whenever it might be -- arrives, any of the draconic deities still in existence will receive a huge influx of new power as believers flock back to them. Dragon philosophers love to quote dates for this "turning", but there are as many proposed dates as there are philosophers, ranging from last Deepwinter to several millennia hence.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  20:13:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't see a reason for Tyr or elves to mistrust Auppenser. Just because someone may or may not want revenge isn't reason for Tyr to mistrust someone. And most elves wouldn't have even heard of Auppenser. If they have, they wouldn't necessary equate him with the actions of a specific nation -- that's like saying elves would distrust Mystra because of Netheril.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2016 :  21:37:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and on the above, its noted in the 2nd edition "Cult of the Dragon" that the dragon deity Kalzareinad died during the Time of Troubles and his worship was subsumed by the dragon deity Kereska, a dragon goddess of magic as well. Whether this means Maldraedior is dead, or that he maybe quit worshipping Kalzareinad, or that the rules of a single dragon's worship can keep a deity alive changed after the ToT comes into question.

Hmmm, I got thoroughly sidetracked. 3.5 dragons of faerun states that Maldraedior still lives. Until you get to the part where this dragon is evil and worships a dragon god of evil magic, man this guy would have made a perfect follower of Auppenser. He is blue, so he could be a sapphire dragon that people are confused over (especially since he lives underground). He basically psychically projects himself. His whole purpose in continuing to live is gathering information.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 19 Jul 2016 23:05:51
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  19:23:53  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never strike a deal with Lolth. It always ends badly.

Since the 2nd Sundering, all the gods have returned, so it's plausible this would include Auppenser as well, though the details of how they returned are vague. It's mostly just "Ao did it", so there is a lot of wiggle room for you to make up your own reasons as to why/how he was awakened.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Kryose
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  19:56:49  Show Profile Send Kryose a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now we have to remember that this is pre-sundering, so there is no going away & coming back per the newer editions.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  20:39:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats what i like to hear (unless its post spell plague but pre sundering).

I personally take the portfolio stuff from 2e and 3e god books with a pinch of salt because if a god does not derive power directly from worship then you end up with situations like a god that exists even though no one worships it. In which case that god will still be around long after the end of the world all by himself.

Ignore the meta story of the ToT and just have gods always derive power directly from number of worshippers. Nothing else makes sense.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  20:52:07  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A god has to gain followers first, though, so they can exist with or without worshipers. That said, the amount of followers a deity has may have influence on their power. The more worshipers, the more powerful the deity will be.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  21:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now we have to remember that this is pre-sundering, so there is no going away & coming back per the newer editions.

Depends on what is "going away". There are some gods that dwindled of neglect and some killed by other dieties. Former is only sleeping god in my book later being the true going away. Aupenser should be in this first group so he could wake up if there is sufficient stirring either by other gods who could give him some of their power (not Lloth mind you) or from his followers or by usage of his portfolio which strangely haven't been claimed by other gods.

Dazz: there are a lot of racial dieties who supposedly created those races so regarding canon this is solution of hen or egg question.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  21:52:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to that, there have been cases of mortals ascending to godhood (Finder, Cyric, Shevarash), and they too would need to gain followers.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  22:17:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of worshipers isn't necessarily the *only* "logical" source of power for a deity. Ideas and concepts alone could be another option to fuel the existence of demons, celestial, deities, and so on.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 20 Jul 2016 22:20:15
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  22:25:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. My main point was that a deity doesn't need followers to exist, as they would have to exist before gaining followers, in order to have said followers, whether they create them, like some of the racial deities, or gain them via other means.

A deity's power can be influence by the number of followers, but no, it is not their only source of power, and they don't need it to exist.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  22:28:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

True. My main point was that a deity doesn't need followers to exist, as they would have to exist before gaining followers, in order to have said followers, whether they create them, like some of the racial deities, or gain them via other means.

A deity's power can be influence by the number of followers, but no, it is not their only source of power, and they don't need it to exist.

They didn't before the ToT, but they apparently do now. We don't know if it was changed by the Sundering, tho.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2016 :  22:39:51  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After the ToT, a deity's power was influenced by the amount of followers, at least in part (as there are other ways), but not necessarily their existence.

Edited by - CorellonsDevout on 20 Jul 2016 22:43:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000