Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 RAS Character's names references list
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portuguese D. Ace
Seeker

Italy
82 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  13:10:58  Show Profile Send Portuguese D. Ace a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes,
Numerous scrolls about RAS's works have aroused my curiosity:

The majority of us complains about the names of many beloved characters.

As a non native English speaker, I don't get the majority of these references or "inside jokes".

Could you help me creating a list?

For example :

I get Pikel Bouldershoulder but I don't get what's wrong with Berg'inyon Baenre.
Is it a reference to Bourguignonne fondue?

Could you help me?

Please, bring back the Realms. I'm really fed up with the Sword Coast.

===== Since English is not my first language, I pre-emptively apologize for any (grammar) mistake that has been made in my post. In order to help me improve my English, please, point out those mistakes (If you could do it politely, it would be even better!). Thanks! =====

Edited by - Portuguese D. Ace on 04 Sep 2015 13:12:42

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  13:43:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Regis and Cattie Brie' (Kathie Lee)

'Nuff said.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2015 :  14:20:49  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portuguese D. Ace
I don't get what's wrong with Berg'inyon Baenre.
Is it a reference to Bourguignonne fondue?

Beef Bourguignon immediately leapt to my mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_bourguignon

It's like RAS took a real-world name or word, changed the spelling a bit, and went with it. Is he working his way through the dictionary?
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2015 :  16:53:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he has said in previous interviews that he hates coming up with names, and will just use whatever pops into his head. I guess we're lucky there hasn't yet been "Blanket" or "Sofa".
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2015 :  18:12:21  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another one of these topics.

Like I've said in the others, I don't really understand why people complain so much. It's just nitpicking to me.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2015 :  18:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Like I've said in the others, I don't really understand why people complain so much. It's just nitpicking to me.

I don’t really see this thread as complaining, though. It poses a legitimate query. Some of the names that people complain about don't make sense unless you're an English speaker.
A friendly explanation could be amusing and profitable.
I, for one, didn't getBerg'inyon Baenre.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2015 :  19:07:18  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds like you are complaining about people complaining.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  04:50:45  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It may be nitpicking, but for me, characters with names like Bungalow Thump take me out of the story. IMHO, a good story teller should aim to immerse the readers in his/her fictional world, not the opposite.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  05:00:36  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

he has said in previous interviews that he hates coming up with names, and will just use whatever pops into his head. I guess we're lucky there hasn't yet been "Blanket" or "Sofa".

But coming up with names is like the best part of writing!

I still haven't really had any issues with the names of his characters. Actually, some of the names are kind of annoying. I agree that a silly name makes things harder to take seriously. But something like Berg'inyon is cool I think. Not really silly, just unique. It's the silly ones that get you frowning.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 06 Sep 2015 05:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  12:08:42  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri
Sounds like you are complaining about people complaining.

Pretty much.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2015 :  15:59:33  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least his name isn't as bad as a player in a game I was DMing once naming her damn dog "Pesci Joe Pesci." Man she was annoying, also happens to be one of my closest friends...but I refuse to game with her anymore.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Mortuane
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2015 :  00:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Mortuane's Homepage Send Mortuane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, am bothered by Bob Salvatore's naming conventions. Spoils a good story like spoiled milk ruins a good recipe. Not to mention your game gets derailed pretty easily if every time you mention an NPC your players burst into uncontrolled fits of the giggles.

And, lest Tanthalas continue to scold us, Salvatore himself has the nerve to criticize other authors' naming conventions. Pot, kettle, and all that.

Here are some examples I've found that grated on me:

Cadderly Bonaduce - I like the name Cadderly - it has a good Welsh sound to it and calls to mind a medieval Catholic monk, like Brother Cadfael - but I'm guessing Salvatore got Bonaduce from Danny Bonaduce.

Dagnabit - American pseudo-curse word, "Dagnabbit," which is the sort of thing a stereotypical Old West gold prospector would say. Also a word-play, because his father is named Dagna. A "bit" is a small piece of something. Dagna-bit.

Khazid'hea - AKA "Cutter," a sentient sword. Pronounced "Quesadilla," a popular and easy-to-make Mexican food.

Pikel Bouldershoulder - Pikel = "Pickle." Boulder and shoulder rhyme, making it particularly obnoxious to some ears.

Tred McKnuckles - Tred isn't bad, really, though it sounds like "tread," meaning to walk upon. But "McKnuckles"? REALLY? Mc- being the Gaelic surname prefix meaning "son of," and...knuckles.

EDIT: Took out the names that weren't some kind of pun or in-joke, but merely terrible names.

Theca Cinereo Sola! ~ It's Always 1357 DR In Baldur's Gate

Edited by - Mortuane on 07 Sep 2015 00:38:22
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  20:56:28  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

I don’t really see this thread as complaining, though. It poses a legitimate query. Some of the names that people complain about don't make sense unless you're an English speaker.
A friendly explanation could be amusing and profitable.
I, for one, didn't getBerg'inyon Baenre.

Exactly. It's not only lazy, but it breaks immersion. It sounds like garbage from a kids comic book. That's saying something for a pulp fiction novel.

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  21:13:21  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the family of Dagnabbit dwarves with numerous spelling variations of that word! How many are there anyway? I've lost count. Current queen of Mithril Hall is Dagna, right?
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  13:39:46  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I was a teenager, I did not catch anything funny. Now, though…

The "Viking" names of the barbarians seems mostly ok. Wulfgar? It's composed of "Wulf", meaning wolf, element in "Rudolph" or "Adolph". And "Geir", meaning spear. Wolf-spear. Sounds ok, considering the Norse names usually got something to do with fighting. Or did I miss some strange reference among those too?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  19:25:56  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget [Matron Mother] Malice.
quote:
Originally posted by Mortuane

Dagnabit - American pseudo-curse word, "Dagnabbit," which is the sort of thing a stereotypical Old West gold prospector would say.

A profanym.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  04:29:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's R A Salvatore. He can name his characters anything he freaking wants.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  04:30:50  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

He's R A Salvatore. He can name his characters anything he freaking wants.

-- George Krashos

Damn straight.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000