Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Danilo and Arilyn's offspring
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  05:01:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any canon source which tells us how Danilo and Arilyn's lives ended? And did they have any children? My searches have proved fruitless at finding anything about their lives after they met.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  05:08:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

Is there any canon source which tells us how Danilo and Arilyn's lives ended? And did they have any children? My searches have proved fruitless at finding anything about their lives after they met.

That story, like many ended by the timejump, has not been told and likely never will be.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  05:30:10  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Arilyn a half-elf? She must be alive by current Realms years, though perhaps in her very old years. However, as wooly says, she was not mentioned in any 4e product, so... its up to you, really.

Dunno what happened with Danilo, but the Thann family still exists in 4e (as they are the one who raise the Neverwinter heir).

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 24 Nov 2017 05:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  06:23:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

That story, like many ended by the timejump, has not been told and likely never will be.
I know Elaine was working on a book post-3e to 'wrap-up certain of her character's stories', but after the 4e changes, she just couldn't put a story together she really felt good about (in other words, she wasn't about to write something she couldn't be proud of just to get a paycheck), and thus, cancelled the book herself, that IIRC was already in the WotC 'que'.

If I am remembering any of that incorrectly (and I tried to leave conjecture out as much as possible - this is based on the few words she said here at CK - probably in her own thread), then I welcome her or anyone else here to soundly thrash and correct me.

But now with 4e behind us - and I see she has dipped her toes in our waters here a couple of times recently - maybe we'll see a little something to that effect, at least explaining how she saw their stories end, and whats going on with Elaith Craulnober. He seemed to be changing, albeit VERY slowly, so I'm hoping we might see him in a future novel get another chance at a Moonblade. On the other hand, i wouldn't want to see him change too much.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2017 18:36:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  13:50:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Wasn't Arilyn a half-elf? She must be alive by current Realms years, though perhaps in her very old years.

She'd be at least 140 years old. That's pushing it, even for a half-elf.

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  14:02:11  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the 5e PHB, a half-elf lives almost 180 years... so, she will be old, but its plausible for her to be alive and well.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  18:42:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Well' is a relative term.

Now, suppose Danillo got poisoned, and because we were in 'Spellplague mode', no-one could cure it (there ARE poisons that resist magic, like the one that took down Azoun for a time). So she has some artifact (probably taken from Laeral) that 'freezes' him, until she can locate a cure. So there she is, all lonely in some tower somewhere, with her 'sleeping beauty' she dare not awaken...

She gets the cure in 5e (probably from Super-Elminster, who is so much more 'Elminster' than regular old Elminster ), wakes him, and his eyes flutter open and he says, "where am I? What happened? Who are YOU, you old hag?"

Time is a cruel mistress.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2017 18:43:25
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2017 :  20:42:04  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She can always use those potions of youth mentioned in the other post... or even made her own clon, a la manshoon.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  01:10:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to the 5e PHB, a half-elf lives almost 180 years... so, she will be old, but its plausible for her to be alive and well.

Huh. Pretty sure that's considerably longer than half-elves in prior editions got.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  01:12:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

She can always use those potions of youth mentioned in the other post... or even made her own clon, a la manshoon.

Arilyn will have a hard time casting a clone spell, considering she's not a spellcaster.

Besides, Arilyn has always been more elf than human -- I expect that she'd find any method of prolonging her life past its natural span to be distasteful at best, and abhorrent at worst.

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  01:44:06  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He never said it had to be Arilyn who would cast the clone spell. Could be Elaith and all the cans of worms that opens.

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  04:41:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

He never said it had to be Arilyn who would cast the clone spell. Could be Elaith and all the cans of worms that opens.

Elaith may be a git with highly questionable morality, but he, too, is pure elf at heart. He's deliberately put a lot of that aside, but I don't see him prolonging his or anyone else's lives past their natural span, either.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  06:24:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baelnorn.

There are also elves (I recall one female in particular) that 'forced' themselves to stay alive WAY past the normal elven lifespan just to take care of Evermeet's dragons.

Come to think of it, in hindsight (with 3e's Eberron), she may now (post-2e) qualify better as 'undying'.

Rules aside (all editions), from the lore I get the idea elves die because they feel its their time, but thats a choice, and they can prolong their lifespans well beyond what the rules say. How long, I couldn't possibly guess... indefinitely? They are Fey, after all. I've also seen (in a book) a dwarf do it. In fact, maybe more than one (there was that Ironstar dwarf in the Spellfire novels, but I have this little something in the back of my head about another). With elves, staying alive is just them tapping into their fey heritage, but with dwarves, its probably more like stubborness.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2017 06:25:31
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  09:38:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it was my Realms I'd have Danilo and Arilyn and their offspring living in Rhymanthiin, sustained by the mythal there and still hale and hearty.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  17:34:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Baelnorn.

There are also elves (I recall one female in particular) that 'forced' themselves to stay alive WAY past the normal elven lifespan just to take care of Evermeet's dragons.

Come to think of it, in hindsight (with 3e's Eberron), she may now (post-2e) qualify better as 'undying'.

Rules aside (all editions), from the lore I get the idea elves die because they feel its their time, but thats a choice, and they can prolong their lifespans well beyond what the rules say. How long, I couldn't possibly guess... indefinitely? They are Fey, after all. I've also seen (in a book) a dwarf do it. In fact, maybe more than one (there was that Ironstar dwarf in the Spellfire novels, but I have this little something in the back of my head about another). With elves, staying alive is just them tapping into their fey heritage, but with dwarves, its probably more like stubborness.

Well, yeah. There are obviously elves who stick around longer than the natural span. But these are extraordinary individuals, and they have deeply compelling reasons for doing so - something much larger than themselves that they feel they need to do, and that others couldn't do.

It is otherwise an alien idea, for elves.

I don't see that Arilyn or Elaith would feel they had any particular reason to stick around past their allotted span.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2017 :  21:28:33  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

If it was my Realms I'd have Danilo and Arilyn and their offspring living in Rhymanthiin, sustained by the mythal there and still hale and hearty.

-- George Krashos

That reminds me, what exactly has been done officially with Rhymanthiin (no plans, just interested)? I think there was maybe a hint of an entry in the SCAG maybe? Anything else?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2017 :  01:24:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't think anyone has done anything with the place.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2020 :  17:33:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explorer Markustay,

That makes me incredibly happy that she didn't some crap book that WotC no doubt would have lined up for since they, in my opinion, have very few if any, scruples in that regard.

I thank her mightily for not screwing that up! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I know Elaine was working on a book post-3e to 'wrap-up certain of her character's stories', but after the 4e changes, she just couldn't put a story together she really felt good about (in other words, she wasn't about to write something she couldn't be proud of just to get a paycheck), and thus, cancelled the book herself, that IIRC was already in the WotC 'que'.

If I am remembering any of that incorrectly (and I tried to leave conjecture out as much as possible - this is based on the few words she said here at CK - probably in her own thread), then I welcome her or anyone else here to soundly thrash and correct me.

But now with 4e behind us - and I see she has dipped her toes in our waters here a couple of times recently - maybe we'll see a little something to that effect, at least explaining how she saw their stories end, and whats going on with Elaith Craulnober. He seemed to be changing, albeit VERY slowly, so I'm hoping we might see him in a future novel get another chance at a Moonblade. On the other hand, i wouldn't want to see him change too much.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000