Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Wizards has shut down a character sheet site.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:29:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
See, this is why I want to know about the fan policy!

From ENworld's news page:

Ema's Character Sheets Closed "Right now, the site is in an "indetermined" state, as I've just received a Cease & Desist letter from Wizards of the Coast. I'm currently looking into the problem, and I hope I will be able to provide you with more details in the near future."

http://www.emass-web.com/

is the web site where the char sheets were stored and where he/she said him/her is shut down.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Feb 2009 18:55:09

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:35:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that is potentially disturbing news for fansites, there's also the fact that in putting character sheets online, even if one isn't charging for them, it's competing with a WotC product.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:40:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is bigger than that. Ema's been doing sheets for years and has it down to where you can fill out stuff on the web and it will generate a personal PDF of you character. He's put a lot of work into those sheets. His is probably the closest to being a character generator without having to download software.

I admit, I'm a big fan of his sheets and was worried that this might happen once he started creating sheets for 4th Edition (heh... he had sheets that could generate characters out to level 30 when WotC's was still stuck on 3rd level). Hopefully it will all work out.

Edit: Ugh... it's now permanent. I think I'm going to be sick.

quote:
I'm sorry to inform you that this site is no more.
Wizards of the Coast asked me to take it down, and I complied.

I'm sorry for all the fans who will miss it - I will miss it, too - but it was the right thing to do.

Time to move on...

Ema.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 05 Feb 2009 18:41:36
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:50:34  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, maybe I should take that link out of my WotC profile. Though it might have been because he pulled data from a bunch of different books.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  18:59:57  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

See, this is why I want to know about the fan policy!

From ENworld's news page:

Ema's Character Sheets Closed "Right now, the site is in an "indetermined" state, as I've just received a Cease & Desist letter from Wizards of the Coast. I'm currently looking into the problem, and I hope I will be able to provide you with more details in the near future."

http://www.emass-web.com/

is the web site where the char sheets were stored and where he/she said him/her is shut down.

Wow! I was only looking at that site last week. It was a very detailed resource. And now WotC have caused them to close down. I'm not sure if threatening your own fans is a productive policy.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  19:19:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had a server, I would offer to host that stuff.

He(?) shouldn't of included 4e material on his site.

He is not allowed to produce ANYTHING for 4e without signing the GSL, and once he does that, he would no-longer be allowed to produce 3e material.

Its not the fact that he was mixing 3e and 4e on his site - its the fact that he produced something for 4e... which he had no legal right to do.

And NOW I understand why CK dragged it's feet and never put up my Returned Abeir Map.

Good Call.

Edit: Thinking more on this... this could mean that CK should NOT support 4e at all - not even in discussions. If a 4e player decided to post stats to a homebrew class/Path for FR here, it would give WotC the legal right to come after CK.

Hmmm... hmmm... hmmmm

The only place that is safe to post homebrew 4e material would be at WotC itself... pretty clever.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Feb 2009 23:12:24
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  21:16:21  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

If I had a server, I would offer to host that stuff.

He(?) shouldn't of included 4e material on his site.

He is not allowed to produce ANYTHGING for 4e without signing the GSL, and once he does that, he would no-longer be allowed to produce 3e material.

Its not the fact that he was mixing 3e and 4e on his site - its the fact that he produced something for 4e... which he had no legal right to do.

And NOW I understand why CK dragged it's feet and never put up my Returned Abeir Map.

Good Call.

Edit: Thinking more on this... this could mean that CK should NOT support 4e at all - not even in discussions. If a 4e player decided to post stats to a homebrew class/Path for FR here, it would give WotC the legal right to come after CK.

Hmmm... hmmm... hmmmm

The only place that is safe to post homebrew 4e material would be at WotC itself... pretty clever.

I don't think WotC could do anything to us for discussing 4e, it's just if someone decides to go wholesale into creating homebrew 4e stuff, then they might decide to stop it. However, I think it would be utterly stupid to shut down the site for the activity of a few users, and I would be quite furious if they did so, enough that I would most likely never buy anything from WotC again. As it stands, I'm willing to pick through the garbage they've been putting out to find the gems, but if they get anymore power-mad than they already are, I will cease to be a customer.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  21:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This makes me so mad! Ema is a good sport, and has been playing wotc games for more than a decade, as far as I know. He did not deserve this.

Wotc is indeed on a downward spiral. I feel really bad for the more reasonable lads and lasses working there.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:31:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

While that is potentially disturbing news for fansites, there's also the fact that in putting character sheets online, even if one isn't charging for them, it's competing with a WotC product.

Not only the character sheets, but a lot of the functionality of the site stepped on the toes of the newly launched character creator.
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:39:33  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

Not only the character sheets, but a lot of the functionality of the site stepped on the toes of the newly launched character creator.

Ah, I see, so the site was competing with DDi, which would pretty much be losing anyway even if there weren't any competition, so WotC decided to remove the competition because they are deluded into thinking that it might help DDi. Got it.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:49:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Which site was that, anyway? Was that the one with official and custom made character sheets for a whole bunch of different games (3e D&D, 2e D&D, d20 Star Wars, Star Wars SAGA, etc.)?

-The bottom of the official D&D character sheets do say at the bottom 'Permission granted to photocopy for personal use only'. Even though the keeper of that particular domain did not make any kind of profits off of his/her website, hosting the website in which other people could freely download all of those official character sheets, or custom made character sheets, I interpret, would be against that clause on the bottom. So, as Wooly said, while, overall, that's too bad for the website, I don't necessarily think that this is indicative on the fansite policy, or, should I say, the current lack thereof.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:52:41  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Which site was that, anyway? Was that the one with official and custom made character sheets for a whole bunch of different games (3e D&D, 2e D&D, d20 Star Wars, Star Wars SAGA, etc.)?

-The bottom of the official D&D character sheets do say at the bottom 'Permission granted to photocopy for personal use only'. Even though the keeper of that particular domain did not make any kind of profits off of his/her website, hosting the website in which other people could freely download all of those official character sheets, or custom made character sheets, I interpret, would be against that clause on the bottom. So, as Wooly said, while, overall, that's too bad for the website, I don't necessarily think that this is indicative on the fansite policy, or, should I say, the current lack thereof.

That's the problem I'm having with this situation. There is no fansite policy. I could see if it really were breaking copyright laws or whatever, but it's hard to know exactly where they went wrong, meaning that everyone else is left to wonder whether they are stepping on toes and how long it will be before they find out if they are.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:54:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Interesting.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  22:57:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, I think that the concern about what fan sites can and cannot do is perfectly valid, but I think that getting upset that WOTC might not want competition for their own products might be a bit much to ask.

WOTC does own the 4E material, and you could even make a case for the fact that the site took Pay Pal to unlock increased functionality meaning that they were actually profiting from WOTC material access (even though I'm pretty sure the amount more or less just covered maintaining the site).

WOTC does need to be careful how they approach fans that are supporting their game, and they really do need to get a formal fan site policy up so that people know what they can and can't do, but at the same time, I don't blame them for not wanting to loose control over how their own material is accessed . . . I just think they need to formally explain what they do and do not want people doing.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:23:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ranger_of_the_unicorn_run

That's the problem I'm having with this situation. There is no fansite policy. I could see if it really were breaking copyright laws or whatever, but it's hard to know exactly where they went wrong, meaning that everyone else is left to wonder whether they are stepping on toes and how long it will be before they find out if they are.

-It wouldn't be too hard to blame it on either one, perceived fansite violation (of which WotC can say/do whatever they like, since there actually isn't one), or perceived copyright violation. Like you said, though...

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  23:29:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hence the reason for why this situation is becoming increasingly difficult to navigate... legally. At most, I would say it's best to keep to business as usual here at Candlekeep -- until we know otherwise [if ever] from Wizards.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  00:23:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just find it interesting that Ema has been doing this for years. Literally, I've been using his site since at least 2003. So why shut him down now?

Edit: Do me a favor guys. If Alaundo or one of you gets a cease or desist order... *sigh*

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 06 Feb 2009 00:33:16
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  02:00:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I just find it interesting that Ema has been doing this for years. Literally, I've been using his site since at least 2003. So why shut him down now?

-New internal policies on the matter? Behind the scenes "stuff" that could have been going on, that cause the "situation" now? Plenty of things, in truth.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Feb 2009 02:00:43
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  04:23:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well I hate to say it but if WotC does send a nasty gram, stay older editions. 1E, 2E, 3E. I support the 4E Realms but I realy like this place.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  10:39:32  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be the best thing to do I think. Don't mention $E because of the above reported action. Maybe all the $E stuff should be put into a new forum, so it can be quickly deleted when the legal action threats arrive.

From what I knew of the site, which wasn't much, I saw a lot of nice Java programing, which required one to enter in data. I never saw the final pdf, but if it looked like, or was, the official document then that is the problem. But it seems like if this was the case then a simple work around would be either, WotC give it official status and incorporate the engine into their own site, or stop issuing the character sheets and just give a simple stat' print-out.

I'm glad I'm already decided against $E. This action looks to me like WotC suing their own fans. Crazy.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  12:42:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't understand why WotC hasn't put out an official fansite policy yet. Either they are lazy or purposely dragging it out for financial reasons.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  14:04:37  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

From what I knew of the site, which wasn't much, I saw a lot of nice Java programing, which required one to enter in data. I never saw the final pdf, but if it looked like, or was, the official document then that is the problem. But it seems like if this was the case then a simple work around would be either, WotC give it official status and incorporate the engine into their own site, or stop issuing the character sheets and just give a simple stat' print-out.

Although he did use logos for the settings, the layout and other artwork on the sheets were different from the official sheets. Not incredibly different, but different nonetheless.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  14:25:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

Although he did use logos for the settings, the layout and other artwork on the sheets were different from the official sheets. Not incredibly different, but different nonetheless.

Yeah, but from what I'm reading here, his site wasn't just a character sheet -- it was a character generator, drawing from and including material he likely didn't hold a license for, and asking for money to do the whole shebang. He was competing directly against the DDI, even if he wasn't making a profit. It's no wonder they shut him down.

I did a Google search earlier, and saw a bunch of sites that just hold character sheets, and those were all left alone.

DDI aside, I'm surprised they let him run as long as people are saying he did. Making money off of someone else's IP is a good way to get shut down, regardless of the company.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  14:30:50  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best case scenario*: it was the additional programming functionality, or inclusion of data from the PHB on his charactersheets that got him caught out. Blank character sheets without any filling in of boxes, or without any data from the PHB should be ok.

Worst case scenario: WoTC only want official character sheets on the web**.

Until the next take-down occurs, we'll not know what the situation actually is.

* Yes, I know that's not a very good Best case, but compared to the Worst case...

** Which would be a move on par in terms of sheer unadulterated stupidity as the music industry suing its own customers.

(Edit: I see WR has posted, and I endorse and agree with his posting and/or service and/or product)

Edited by - StarBog on 06 Feb 2009 14:32:13
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  15:38:56  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, but from what I'm reading here, his site wasn't just a character sheet -- it was a character generator, drawing from and including material he likely didn't hold a license for, and asking for money to do the whole shebang. He was competing directly against the DDI, even if he wasn't making a profit. It's no wonder they shut him down.

How would things stand if he has just asked for donations to help run the server, site, etc?

If, as you say, he was asking payment for each Char' sheet, and it was a non-profit site, legally he was still making money from someone else's product.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  15:50:19  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

How would things stand if he has just asked for donations to help run the server, site, etc?

If, as you say, he was asking payment for each Char' sheet, and it was a non-profit site, legally he was still making money from someone else's product.

It sounded like he was only asking for donations.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:00:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Pro bono or not, the fact still remains that, ultimately, it was going on without WotC's permission. Things with large fan followings, like, say, D&D or Star Wars or Star Trek, have plenty of "unauthorized" websites. If the estate of Gene Roddenberry, or George Lucas, or WotC, or whoever it is, wanted to crack down on all of these websites that use their IPs- even in the most innocent manner- they have, technically, every right to do so, in a legal sense.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:34:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Pro bono or not, the fact still remains that, ultimately, it was going on without WotC's permission. Things with large fan followings, like, say, D&D or Star Wars or Star Trek, have plenty of "unauthorized" websites. If the estate of Gene Roddenberry, or George Lucas, or WotC, or whoever it is, wanted to crack down on all of these websites that use their IPs- even in the most innocent manner- they have, technically, every right to do so, in a legal sense.

Indeed. And there are some authors I've heard of that don't allow any fansites based on their material.

Besides, this part is the kicker, emphasis mine:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

WOTC does own the 4E material, and you could even make a case for the fact that the site took Pay Pal to unlock increased functionality meaning that they were actually profiting from WOTC material access (even though I'm pretty sure the amount more or less just covered maintaining the site).

He wasn't just hosting a blank character sheet -- as I said, WotC has ignored other sites doing that. From all the descriptions, his was more of a character generator, which does come a lot closer to being direct competition. And it was a character generator based on IPs he did not have legal right to share. And to get the full benefit, money had to change hands. It doesn't matter if he was using the money for server costs or beer and hookers or the Womens' League of Walla Walla Washington -- money was changing hands for the service.

If he had asked for donations, but not made his generator functionality dependent on that, then he likely would have been safe. WotC is leaving free sites alone.

I'm again seeing a lot of unwarranted hostility being directed at WotC. I'm not happy about 4E or the Shattered Realms, just like most of you. But come on, be reasonable!

They had full legal rights to do what they did. And all they did was go after someone making money off of them -- which just about any company would do. WotC does not have to allow any non-official sites -- they could, if they wanted, shut us down. Would that be a good move? No. But can they do it? Yes, in a heartbeat.

They could shut us down. They could shut down any and all other fansites based on specific (even defunct) settings, or even D&D in general. They could shut down every single website that offers a character sheet, or alternate DM screen, or any utility aimed at aiding DMs and/or players. They could go after fanfiction websites, and demand the immediate deletion of all those Drizzt/Cadderly and Laspeera/Caladnei fanfics, as well as any other story set in a D&D setting. Regardless of whether or not any of these sites are making money, they are all existing at WotC's sufferance.

I think that everyone who is eager to throw the big bad wolf label at WotC needs to stop and think about what WotC could do if they really wanted to earn that label.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  16:47:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...demand the immediate deletion of all those Drizzt/Cadderly and Laspeera/Caladnei fanfics...

-Here's to hoping that, one day, they do.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  17:27:28  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He wasn't just hosting a blank character sheet -- as I said, WotC has ignored other sites doing that. From all the descriptions, his was more of a character generator, which does come a lot closer to being direct competition. And it was a character generator based on IPs he did not have legal right to share. And to get the full benefit, money had to change hands. It doesn't matter if he was using the money for server costs or beer and hookers or the Womens' League of Walla Walla Washington -- money was changing hands for the service.

If he had asked for donations, but not made his generator functionality dependent on that, then he likely would have been safe. WotC is leaving free sites alone.

I'm again seeing a lot of unwarranted hostility being directed at WotC. I'm not happy about 4E or the Shattered Realms, just like most of you. But come on, be reasonable!

They had full legal rights to do what they did. And all they did was go after someone making money off of them -- which just about any company would do. WotC does not have to allow any non-official sites -- they could, if they wanted, shut us down. Would that be a good move? No. But can they do it? Yes, in a heartbeat.

They could shut us down. They could shut down any and all other fansites based on specific (even defunct) settings, or even D&D in general. They could shut down every single website that offers a character sheet, or alternate DM screen, or any utility aimed at aiding DMs and/or players. They could go after fanfiction websites, and demand the immediate deletion of all those Drizzt/Cadderly and Laspeera/Caladnei fanfics, as well as any other story set in a D&D setting. Regardless of whether or not any of these sites are making money, they are all existing at WotC's sufferance.

I think that everyone who is eager to throw the big bad wolf label at WotC needs to stop and think about what WotC could do if they really wanted to earn that label.

I suppose I shouldn't have jumped on WotC so quickly as I'm getting a better idea of the real story behind this site now. The thing is, when I first saw this thread, it made me really scared that the end times were nigh for fansites in general. So it made me angry because I though WotC was making a stupid mistake, but I see now that they probably did the right thing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  17:30:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

...demand the immediate deletion of all those Drizzt/Cadderly and Laspeera/Caladnei fanfics...

-Here's to hoping that, one day, they do.

Heh. I'm not a fanfic person, myself, and I just don't understand the whole "let's write a story where this fictitious character and this other fictitious character have sex!" gig. I used to hang out online with a group of people that loved finding really bad fanfics like that, and then giving them the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment. Some of the pairings were bizarre (Batman/Sailor Moon?), some of the fics were disturbing (one crossed The Jungle Book with a balloon fetish, and another had Draco Malfoy getting Harry Potter pregnant), and some had some really off the wall euphemisms, like "going to Eastland". There was one Megatron/Starscream fic that had an odd fixation on Starscream's glottis.

If I was an author, I'm not sure how I'd feel about those kinds of fics being written about my characters.

I know I certainly wouldn't blame WotC if they demanded that all non-PG-13 fanfics be pulled down.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000