Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Mobile game - Warriors of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  01:33:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone else playing this game? I downloaded it the other day, and it's not bad... But that's not to say that it's good, either.

It's freemium; you can play for free, but you can get more goodies if you pay -- and they have a $10 a month subscription you can buy to get more stuff, too. Not a fan of freemium stuff, myself.

As for game play, it reminds me a lot of old fantasy RPGs on consoles. Enemies appear, everyone takes turns doing something. Something might be an attack, or it might be moving around or healing someone.

They try to do the thing of a party of 4 members, with each having their specialty... But there's a lot of cooldowns after using some abilities, so you may have party members doing nothing but moving for 2 or 3 turns before they can do anything.

If there's a way to rename the characters, I've not found it.

And if there's a way to do anything between rooms -- like healing your party -- that, too, is something I've not found.

Each "quest" is clearing out like 3-5 rooms. You pick the quest, you're instantly in the first room. You fight the baddies, run to the next screen. There are one or two ways to go from here, and a bit of generic flavor text. You pick a room, and lather, rinse, repeat.

Assuming you're successful, you get cards and gold. The cards represent equipment, and the equipment can be leveled up -- for gold, of course. You get enough cards to bump the weapon or whatever up, then you have to buy that next level. Every item adds to your offense and defense, even if it doesn't make sense -- like Thieves' Tools.

Also, oddly, Laeral is there to hand you quests -- and she's in full plate armor.

It's not bad as a time-waster, but I'd not put it in my top ten list of anything. I'd certainly not shell out any money for it. I've played games that were more fun, but I've played worse, too. If I had to give it a numerical score, I'd say 6.5 out of 10.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jun 2019 01:33:33

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  03:11:30  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Wooly,
I don't know this game at all. Back in 2ed, Laeral had my younger brother's mage cast a geas on Lucia Thione. We got no cash or magic, but we got a whole night of ROTF LMBO.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  03:57:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Sorry Wooly,
I don't know this game at all. Back in 2ed, Laeral had my younger brother's mage cast a geas on Lucia Thione. We got no cash or magic, but we got a whole night of ROTF LMBO.

It's a mobile game. It was just released for Android; I assume it's available for iOS, as well.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  05:02:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm playing it but after the initial honeymoon period it's a massive grind and not all that much fun. I expect my interest won't last much longer.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  09:58:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm playing it but after the initial honeymoon period it's a massive grind and not all that much fun. I expect my interest won't last much longer.

-- George Krashos

Yeah, I don't anticipate putting a lot of time and energy into this one.

Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  11:12:17  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talking about mobile Waterdeep games...

Any opinions on D&D Lord of Waterdeep game migration into app world?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  14:35:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

I've played the hell out of that game. I quite enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Ephiron
Acolyte

Czech Republic
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  16:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Ephiron's Homepage Send Ephiron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it shallow and repetitive, but that describes nearly every mobile game.

What disappoints me the most is how little there is of FR. There's Laeral in plate armor, one of the PC's is from Rashem (!) and that's it. It's as generic as it can get.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  18:32:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing they put a lot more effort into getting the microtransactions finely tuned than in validating some front-end Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  19:10:23  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I can say about Warriors of Waterdeep game is, is thank heavens for BG III coming. Which is a shame, because I like Waterdeep more then BG.
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2019 :  19:24:50  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pay to win component is huge, and expensive. Not a good game design imo, to have such a great discrepancy between premium and non-premium.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2019 :  01:25:34  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dewaint

I've played the hell out of that game. I quite enjoy it.

I agree. The LoW game on PC is very enjoyable. Especially if you have the expansions, because those make the game complex and give you opportunities at some nice combos.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  20:36:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've given up on Warriors of Waterdeep.

I was very irked when I entered a room that required one character to be level 5 -- and then got curb stomped by a trio of level 9 mobs.

So I tried a battle (against what I assume was some other player, somewhere), and the game glitched and kicked me out. When it reloaded the battle, one of my guys was already dead.

That was it for me. I left a 2 star review of the game (which I almost never do!) and uninstalled it.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Jun 2019 20:37:34
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2019 :  22:29:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got yourself almost a week of enjoyment and entertainment out of this game. And you didn't eagerly buy into that freemium subscription you obviously sorta wanted.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2019 :  03:09:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Got yourself almost a week of enjoyment and entertainment out of this game. And you didn't eagerly buy into that freemium subscription you obviously sorta wanted.

Meh. I have other games I played more during the same week, and got more enjoyment and entertainment out of them, and less frustration and irritation. Heck, it was hot as blazes out yesterday, and I'm not terribly interested in Slakoth, but I still enjoyed getting out for the Pokémon Go Community Day more than I did this game.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jun 2019 03:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2019 :  03:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've enjoyed the game so far. It hasn't wowed my socks off, but it gives me a nice distraction when my knee won't let me do the walking I need for my other mobile game. Granted, I only play Waterdeep every few days, and only in 20 minute bursts, so I probably haven't played enough to really let it irk me. I do hate it when the encounter difficulty is so high I almost *have* to spend money on it just to win, but usually I come back several minutes later and I beat the encounter I'd lost before without really trying any new tactics. *Shrug*

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000