Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lore in 5e Books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  13:52:21  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all,

I see there's a big sale on 5e books going on. I don't have many of the 5e books and while I'm not in love with the system, I'm wondering if the books themselves are worth picking up for the current lore in y'alls informed opinions?

Thanks,
DR

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  15:47:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a no from me. Not only because I'm firmly anti 5e, but if I were to look at it through non-biased spectacles it would be uninspiring, incoherent, and a bit arbitrary.

I guess it depends on how big the sale is. If you aren't going to run the adventures and don't play in the 5e era then it would have to be really heavily discounted for it to be worth your while.

But I'm very very biased against 5e. Just my opinion though and it's a biased one no matter how much I try.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  16:00:09  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no much regard for continuity nowadays, but some books are really good as stand-alone products. So if you don't mind having to fill in the blanks and to connect the plot points from earlier editions by yourself, I do recommend you Storm's King Thunder and Tomb of Annihilation, as they are really good regional sourcebooks. Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage are good guides to Waterdeep and Undermountain as well, thought I've heard they are quite expensive. If you are only seeking for lore and don't mind adventure material, I'd suggest to buy Volo's Waterdeep Enchiridion's pdf at DM's Guild. Is way more accesible, moneywise.

The Sword Coast Adventure Guide is not that good lorewise—it does contradits with the other products, and this is something that even WotC has acknowledged (seems to have been a problem with editing stuff and publication timing—the book ignore some novels that were published at the same time, and that have influenced current Realmslore), but is kinda mandatory for the player's stuff. If you are not playing 5e, I'd suggest to ignore this book, as you can get more reliable lore in the Wiki. As a source of general Realmslore, is really good. Thought I don't know if earlier edition sourcebooks have this same information.

The other books are more general, despite misleading titles such as Volo's Guide to Monsters. If you're only seeking Realmslore, I'd suggest to ignore them as well. Thought, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes does update (and retcon) elven lore that is deeply related to the Realms (such as Evermeet), so there is that.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 23 Dec 2018 16:18:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  16:22:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was a decent product, myself. Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage are pricy, unless you get them on Amazon, as I did.

I know I should support my FLGS and all that, but my FLGS is miles out of my way, and quite frankly, most of the stuff WotC is putting out right now has not been worth the cover price, to me. I used to eagerly run out and get new FR products the day they came out, from my local FLGS -- I'd run out on my lunch break to do it. But that FLGS is gone, and the stuff WotC has fallen from what they once were.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  20:20:53  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide was presented by WotC as the book that would have updated the Realms to the 5e timeline. It did, but, aside from the Sword Coast, the various regions of Faerun only get a couple paragraphs each about their status quo. It includes the list of the current pantheons for 5e, both Faerunian and racials (but the bottom line is that most deities--especially the most popular that 4e and the final part of 3e had removed--are back, and it doesn't give details on how they returned, except that it happened due to the Sundering). As it has been pointed out, there are also a couple passages of this book (I only remeber the one concerning Luskan and the Host Tower) that contradict novels that have been published around the same time.

As Zero said, the various adventures include writeups for some specific regions. The Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes "updates" all the non human races and goes a bit more in detail on their pantheons (and it includes info on the Blood War, which picked up again). However, this book includes versions of the origin myths (especially the elven one) that clash with how they are told in the Realms. People chalk it up to the book being told by Mordenkainen, and his limited understanding of the Torilian myths. Yes, world-specific lore overrides more general lore (and Mordenkainen tells things that are supposed to be generally true for all worlds in the book) but honestly, this is the only source discussing those topics, so it's clear that WotC had a new shiny version of the myths and went full "f*** the FR lore" on it.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Dec 2018 20:21:05
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2018 :  14:40:06  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Wooly, I bought DH and DotMM through my flgs and the pair cost me $100. I like to support the guy, but veterans disability doesn't pay that much. That's why I'm giving thought to the Amazon sale right now.
So it seems like the Scag, Storm Kings Thunder and Tome of Annihilation are pick ups then. Thank you all for your responses.
I just wish that Wizards would allow Ed to prevail upon El to commission some more Ecologies. Those I'd pick up in a Heartbeat.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2018 :  14:54:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's Border Kingdoms on DM's Guild is FANTASTIC.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/244431/The-Border-Kingdoms-A-Forgotten-Realms-Campaign-Supplement?term=THE+border+kingdoms&test_epoch=0

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 24 Dec 2018 14:55:13
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2018 :  05:52:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric Menge’s Moonshae sourcebook at the Guild is excellent also.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2018 :  17:03:12  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I know I should support my FLGS...

Wooly, where IS the FLGS for Brevard county? There used to be one in east Orlando, around the Union Park area, but is it still there?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2018 :  21:58:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

quote:

Wooly, where IS the FLGS for Brevard county? There used to be one in east Orlando, around the Union Park area, but is it still there?

For Orlando, there's Sci-Fi City, but that's a pale imitation of the store it once was. If there are other FLGS's there, I'm not familiar with them -- I rarely get to Orlando.

In the Melbourne/Palm Bay area, there is Famous Faces & Funnies, a comic book place co-located with a game store called Get Your Fun On. They're on 192. GYFO has some RPG stuff, but it's not their major focus.

The main FLGS in the Melbourne/Palm Bay area is Dogs of War, in Palm Bay, off of Palm Bay Road. The guy that runs it, Jesús, is a long time gamer and was formerly a regular at the now-defunct Wizard's Wall. Jesús is a great guy, and I like his family, I just don't get out to Palm Bay that oft -- his place is something like 10 or 15 miles from my house.

Of the places I listed, if distance wasn't a factor at all, I'd still favor Dogs of War. Sci-Fi City has more RPG stuff, but I just don't care for the place as much.

Go to Top of Page

RealmProtector
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  05:29:04  Show Profile Send RealmProtector a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

quote:

I don’t know if it’s close to you guys, but Cool Stuff has a store in south Orlando. You can order anything on their website and they’ll ship it to the store for pick up with no shipping charge.

South Orlando
12720 Orange Blossom Trail Suite 10
Orlando, FL 32837
407-440-2460

They say that life's a carousel spinning back you gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams it's Heaven and Hell
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  15:12:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what I would like to know is if there is a source that talks about what all was changed in 5e.

are there still random earthmotes?
are the plaguelands still around?
the places decimated by Shadovar still around? Tilverton for example as a shadowy nightmare place?

Things like that.

Any source answer those kinds of things?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  17:26:55  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

what I would like to know is if there is a source that talks about what all was changed in 5e.

the places decimated by Shadovar still around? Tilverton for example as a shadowy nightmare place?

Things like that.

The SCAG is the closest to detailing this, but its notedly written in a kind of uncertain person and from the viewpoint of someone on the sword coast. So, in essence, the data might be considered more genuine nearer to the sword coast, but the further away you go, the most untrustworthy it is. That being said, I give the people who did those write ups props. That had to be HELL to do, especially since many of us old guard don't know what happened in 4e very well, and many that know 4e well don't know prior to 4e well. I keep finding out that things were revealed in dragon or dungeon mag in the 4e era that I would have expected to find in say a sourcebook.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2441 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2018 :  17:48:59  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Things like that.

To your questions:

1. Yes, but are really few. Like, one here and there. The ones I know that remain in canon are the Heart of Ubtao in Chult (Tomb of Annihilation), the ones in Neverwinter (MMO game), and the ones in Airspur (SCAG). For the rest, which ones remained is up to the DM, but it is assumed most of them fell.

2. According to Ed in an AMA, a few remain, but are extremely rare, akin dead and wild magic zones. Those are enterily up to the DM, as no current WotC product mention them. However, I guess the plagueland below Neverwinter is still canon, as it hasn't been removed from the MMO.

3. I guess Ed answered this in the forum (in his answers topic). AFAIK, there are a few still dwelling in the Citadel of the Raven.

4. sleyvas answered this.

Edited by - Zeromaru X on 28 Dec 2018 17:51:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2018 :  18:09:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assume Tilverton is still a shadowy pit -- that was early in 3E that it blew up. It was one of the first 3E changes.

Go to Top of Page

Paul123
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2019 :  05:32:42  Show Profile Send Paul123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Until when is the sale?
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2019 :  17:09:19  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Things like that.

The SCAG is the closest to detailing this, but its notedly written in a kind of uncertain person and from the viewpoint of someone on the sword coast. So, in essence, the data might be considered more genuine nearer to the sword coast, but the further away you go, the most untrustworthy it is. That being said, I give the people who did those write ups props. That had to be HELL to do, especially since many of us old guard don't know what happened in 4e very well, and many that know 4e well don't know prior to 4e well. I keep finding out that things were revealed in dragon or dungeon mag in the 4e era that I would have expected to find in say a sourcebook.

I'll add that they are insanely starved of space in the book, they did great, but it should have been a full FRCG, not a tiny regional book that flirts with other regions.

It tried to be too many things at once, like most 5e books which is why I have gotten fed up with 5e. I don't blame the writers for that,they did a valiant job with the space they had, I blame the bosses.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2019 :  04:30:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The detail of lore in 5e isn't as rich as it used to be. Still worth looking into, if you want to keep up on events, but...it's sparser than I would like.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000