Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Quest for Lore: Andal-Bruin (Dungeon of the Ruins)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  11:49:54  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings!

Spoiler Alert (?) for "Prison of the Firebringer" Dungeon Magazine Adventure (Nr.101)

I am looking for canon info about the Dungeon of the Ruins, pre-Netherese occupation that is. In the lore section of the adventure is written that the Selskar Order occupied some abandoned dwarven ruins.
Who was living there before the Netherese? And why did they abandoned them?

For some reason the word "Delzoun" is stuck in my head, is it possible that andal-bruin was a part of that greater kingdom? perhaps are there maps that shows where the lost parts of the Dwarven empire lies?

I found that article on the web:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020904a

It just mentions andal-bruin and the Netherese that used to lived there. BTW is it THAT close with the Labyrinth????

tnx in advance

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  12:15:57  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found something Interesting!

-630 Year of Orphaned Princes
•The dwarven clans Battlehammer and Ironshield depart Delzoun and establish Mithral Hall, and Settlestone in the mountains east of the Lurkwood. Gandalug Battlehammer is crowned First King of Mithral Hall. The former hold of Gharraghaur known as Andalbruin is also settled by Clan Ironshield dwarves during this time.

-628 Year of Empty Crowns
•The dwarves of Clan Ironshield abandon the settlement of Andalbruin for the higher, more defensible Settlestone.

-626 Year of Oaths Forsaken
•A group of outcast Netherese wizards known as the Selskar Order build a school of wizardry in the ruins of Andalbruin.

(also to those who wonder what happened troll warlord Harska Thaug from the Selskar Order story)

-585 Year of the Rumbling Earth
•The troll warlord Harska Thaug gathers a horde of trolls and orcs and leads it south from the Spine of the World to assault the elven realm of Rilithar. The horde lays waste to all in its path and attacks the Tower of the Star, the school of wizardry constructed by the Selskar Order. They summon the slaad lord Bazim-Gorag, "the Firebringer", who decimates the horde causing it to flee back north to the Spine of the World.

-584 Year of Pyramids
•Harska Thaug gathers another horde which overruns and pillages the Tower of the Star, bringing an end to the Selskar Order.

-582 Year of Glittering Coins
•The horde of Harska Thaug assaults the elven realm of Rilithar on the eastern slopes of the Sword Mountains. The elves give battle and shatter the horde but not before their largest settlements are overrun and laid waste. The elves of Rilithar begin to rebuild, their strength greatly weakened.

Source:
http://www.o-love.net/realms/fr_time_br05.html

EDIT:
I guess i am looking for information on Ironshield Dwarves.

In addition any info that explains why the Ironshields and the Battlehammers left Delzoun would be nice.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 12 May 2010 12:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  12:42:07  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a terrible earthquake in the Nether Mountains c. - 650 DR, maybe that's connected with their departure.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2010 :  23:53:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't an answer to your question per se.

The write-up of Bruenor in FR7 "Hall of Heroes" provides the best summary of the departure from Delzoun and may or may not provide an answer to your question. I'm at work and don't have access to my sources at the minute.

All of the dates quoted are "mine" and I think I created Clan Ironshield as well (or mayhap it's mentioned in the above write-up).

As to why they left Delzoun? It could have been any number of reasons. Clan squabbles. Wanting to get rich. A vision from Moradin. Anything you like really.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  11:40:41  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for your responses.

The earthquake sticks to the story, i will use it (somehow)

George is there any chance for me to learn some more about the Ironshields? In published or personal notes?

In my Campaign one of my players (Beregor Strongshield) claimed the dungeon of the ruins, and re-established Andal-Bruin (well he is still trying to, he got 480 Dwarves). Thats why me and him are searching all those details about the events, the Dwarves that lived there, and the dungeon.

Thanks in advance

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  03:46:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

George is there any chance for me to learn some more about the Ironshields? In published or personal notes?

Just what kind of info were you after?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2010 :  11:48:31  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any info ;-)

My player knows he claimed an Dwarven fort that others had build. He want to show respect to those ancient kin. Its a roleplay experience, i want him to know that it isnt just a "Abandoned Dwarven" fort, there is history before it (Realms is that way anyway)

Perhaps a crest (coat of arms?) of the Ironshields? Some lore about Heroes of old? Anything that its easy for you to find. I hope im not causing trouble ;-)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2010 :  13:41:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See my thread in the "Chamber of Sages".

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2018 :  16:56:44  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

See my thread in the "Chamber of Sages".

-- George Krashos

I'm now going through the same thing. Can we get a link to any Ironshield/Andalbruin information?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  11:29:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clan Ironshield was one of the original clans of Delzoun, the great Northkingdom of the dwarves. Named for its legendary founder Jangarak Ironshield and the relic that his ancestors had forged in long-ago Shanatar, Clan Ironshield was born on Jangarak's wedding day when he wed the golden-bearded Dauraela Stoneshield and adopted many of her kinfolk into his burgeoning family (the Stoneshield clan was the largest clan of the North in those days, numbering many thousand dwarves - dwarves who were always keen to strike out from the strict clan traditions and conventions that bound their lives and limited their opportunities: to this day dwarven "longbeards" will describe a rogue dwarf or dwarven group/clan as "stone-shouldered").

The fortunes of Clan Ironshield improved greatly as the centuries passed, their industry and battle-might growing winter by winter, culminating in the marriage of Rorrina Ironshield to the then King of Delzoun Dornarn in -2151 DR (after Dornarn, the kings of Delzoun did not reign along familial lines but were rather elected at a great clan conclave on the passing or fall of the incumbent monarch. Dwarves so chosen were required to leave their clan and become "of the Delzoun", ruling for the good of all Northkingdom dwarves).

From that time, Clan Ironshield's star waxed and waned in typical fashion as the centuries passed. They developed a reputation as one of the more warlike clans of Delzoun and were credited with the creation of several unique and impressive magic items of power that established their reputation in that regard. Chief of these creations were spellbane hammers (magic warhammers that on command would levitate in the air and absorb all incoming hostile spells - up to a certain amount of levels - that were intended to be used against any hostile incursion from Netheril) and axe gauntlets (mithral gauntlets which on command and one-time only would unleash a flurry of 'force axes' all around the wearer for a short period that moved with the triggerer).

Clan Ironshield produced many dwarves feted in tales and songs of the Stout Folk, but history and the long memories of dwarves give particular honour to two very different members of that clan. The first was Dennin Ironshield known to all as the "Skald of Battle". Dennin was a bard, and as dwarves reckon such matters, an extremely talented one. His epic poems and songs delighted many and he was a known carouser and drinker of prodigious ability. Dennin was also a battlerager known for being absolutely fearless in the fray, so much so that even his fellow battleragers grudgingly acknowledged that he was without peer in terms of fearlessness in battle. His ferocity in combat was complemented by screaming songs of bloodthirstiness and the orcs of the mountains would flee at the first sound of him. His repetoire consisted of several of these "blood songs", most of which were magical in nature and provided benefits in terms of strength, stamina and the ability to unnerve opponents.

The second "most famous" Ironshield was the warrior Glyir "Wyrmhunter", son of Phlyir. A beardless stripling when he and his family were set upon by an adult red dragon when some days distant from Mirabar, Glyir managed to shoot a heavy crossbow bolt into each eye of the dragon, blinding it and making it an easy target for his warrior companions. From that day, Gliyr rose swiftly in the ranks of Clan Ironshield until he was made clan champion (or "kuldalagh" - valorous axe). Preparing the warriors of Clan Ironshield, he led them on an astonishing three, successful dragonmoots in consecutive years, bringing down three wyrms of the Morueme clan of dragons and leading to a detente between those wyrms and the Northkingdom. For this reason and his elimination of this everpresent threat to the realm, he was celebrated throughout Delzoun such that stories and tales of his exploits are to this day, still recounted around hearths in Citadel Adbar.

The demise of Clan Ironshield has its genesis in the fast friendship between clanlord Tol Ironshield and clanlord Bunko Battlehammer that saw both groups of dwarves abandon their holds in and around the environs of Citadel Adbar and in -630 DR march north and west in search of the lost mines of Gharraghaur. In doing so they followed in the steps of Clan Sstar and Clan Ironstar and as with those two clans, severed their ties of mutual security with the bulk of the Northkingdom dwarves. Once mithral was discovered, it was agreed between Tol and Bunko that the more numerous Ironshield dwarves would fortify the lower mountain regions, carving out and protecting trade routes to allow riches for both clans to flow. Clan Ironshield was also used by the secretive dwarves of Clan Ironstar to bring their forged finery to markets south of the mountains at the headwaters of the River Surbrin and as a consequence grew very rich.

However their exposed position in Settlestone and the enormous weight of orc numbers that saw first Delzoun proper fall in -100 DR and then Ironstar conquered in 207 DR, spelt the doom of the clan. Harried by ever-encroaching orc raids and then by the attention of two separate rapacious hill giant clans, Clan Ironshield buckled under the strain of maintaining the trade routes that were Mithral Hall's lifeblood. By 225 DR, after the depredations of the orc horde of Gluthtor, the surviving dwarves of Clan Ironshield were absorbed into Clan Battlehammer or trekked west to Mirabar where their small numbers eventually lost their clan identity. Settlestone was abandoned and all of Mithral Hall's trade was conducted by means of underground trade routes.

So passed the storied Clan Ironshield, although there are at least two dwarven families, in Mirabar and Waterdeep respectively, who still lay claim to the clan name and the traditions of Delzoun. With the Thunder Blessing and the turnaround in dwarven fortunes, the future may well see this clan rise once again to prominence in the North.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  11:56:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it isn't already, can we have this one in your sages thread so I can find it easily in future. Pretty please.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  11:57:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and truly awesome dwarf lore

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2018 :  13:51:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, that is some good lore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2018 :  00:38:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If it isn't already, can we have this one in your sages thread so I can find it easily in future. Pretty please.

It is already there.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2018 :  15:31:37  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

It is already there.

-- George Krashos

Thank you! I am going to tie your lore into our current situation and the abandonment of Andalbruin.

I wonder why this isn't remembered among the dwarves of Clan Battlehammer.

They seem to not even recall why Settlestone was there in the first place or why Andalbruin fell. Only how Mithral Hall fell.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2018 :  23:34:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I see the fall of Mithral Hall as involving the old, past-their-prime male dwarves leading the women and children to safety while the warriors stayed behind to take on Shimmergloom and the duergar. These old dwarves died off and didn't impart all of the clans tales/folklore/knowledge to the survivors. Heck, Bruenor didn't even know where Mithral Hall was exactly, let alone Settlestone.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000