Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Calimshan Campaign Guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Seethyr
Senior Scribe

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2020 :  23:46:45  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I havenít purchased this yet but the preview seems rather exceptional in quality. I think I might pick it up, though I do wish it had a dead tree version.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/301438

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

shades of eternity
Learned Scribe

288 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  17:37:34  Show Profile  Visit shades of eternity's Homepage Send shades of eternity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have picked it up and think its a good rundown of the area.

heck mt rant on twitter is what gave the inspiration for Angus Guide to Amn. :)

check out my post-post apocalyptic world at www.drevrpg.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2020 :  18:24:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I havenít purchased this yet but the preview seems rather exceptional in quality. I think I might pick it up, though I do wish it had a dead tree version.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/301438



I've been eyeballing that one, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Seeker

40 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  02:26:59  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks, it was a real labour of love for me and I researched everything I could lay my hands on. There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together. There is so much more I could have included but I think its a good introduction to the area, and "opens it up" to 5e players who have never gotten beyond the Sword Coast.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3178 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2020 :  15:19:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it have a map?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

MTBlack
Seeker

40 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  02:26:19  Show Profile Send MTBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is a black/white map of Calimshan and a b/w map of Calimport
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  22:05:47  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a great product and it does include maps of both Calimport and Calimshan. Just know that the information contained in it is pre-Spellplague. The author states in the discussion area for the product that there isn't any information that's post-Spellplague on Calimshan. However, that's just not true. If you're running a game in the current timeline, many of the areas mentioned in this product are not current. The Forests of Mir are now the Spires of Mir, the Spider Swamp has dried up and the aranea that lived there have been petrified, and the Arena Effreetum was destroyed by Cephas when he crashed the current pasha's floating palace into it.

That said, if you're running a game that's pre-Spellplague, it's a great product. The art in it is wonderful and the writing is superb. I'm not disappointed that I bought it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2020 :  23:38:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

It's a great product and it does include maps of both Calimport and Calimshan. Just know that the information contained in it is pre-Spellplague. The author states in the discussion area for the product that there isn't any information that's post-Spellplague on Calimshan. However, that's just not true. If you're running a game in the current timeline, many of the areas mentioned in this product are not current. The Forests of Mir are now the Spires of Mir, the Spider Swamp has dried up and the aranea that lived there have been petrified, and the Arena Effreetum was destroyed by Cephas when he crashed the current pasha's floating palace into it.

That said, if you're running a game that's pre-Spellplague, it's a great product. The art in it is wonderful and the writing is superb. I'm not disappointed that I bought it.



Those were all 4E changes, I believe -- and a lot of the 4E changes were walked back. Some of those changes may have been undone.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  00:21:54  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am on a prticular hunt for information on the ancient Illithyr activity in the region... Does this tome contain information on the Living Gem war and/or the Calimshan Crystal?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, RIP Pluto: :IRC lives:


https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
5956 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  02:15:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

I am on a prticular hunt for information on the ancient Illithyr activity in the region... Does this tome contain information on the Living Gem war and/or the Calimshan Crystal?



Are you looking for lore on those three separate things/events or looking for lore that cross references them?

This DMs Guild sourcebook has nothing on the Living Gem war or Ilythiir, and while it mentions the Calimemnon Crystal, it simply repeats what is in the 4E FR Campaign Guide.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  06:11:48  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

It's a great product and it does include maps of both Calimport and Calimshan. Just know that the information contained in it is pre-Spellplague. The author states in the discussion area for the product that there isn't any information that's post-Spellplague on Calimshan. However, that's just not true. If you're running a game in the current timeline, many of the areas mentioned in this product are not current. The Forests of Mir are now the Spires of Mir, the Spider Swamp has dried up and the aranea that lived there have been petrified, and the Arena Effreetum was destroyed by Cephas when he crashed the current pasha's floating palace into it.

That said, if you're running a game that's pre-Spellplague, it's a great product. The art in it is wonderful and the writing is superb. I'm not disappointed that I bought it.



Those were all 4E changes, I believe -- and a lot of the 4E changes were walked back. Some of those changes may have been undone.



They didn't make any mention of changes to Calimshan in the Second Sundering that I know of. While it's possible that things reverted, there's nothing official published that I know of to suggest that. And I don't know how that would change what happened to Calimport, since events there weren't the result of the Spellplague.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  20:18:41  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And this is why edition wars suck: "My version is the correct one!"

Not to mention a detractor that has a product that says something differently in their product...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  20:50:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

And this is why edition wars suck: "My version is the correct one!"

Not to mention a detractor that has a product that says something differently in their product...



I, personally, wasn't complaining about editions -- I was just pointing out that an absence of updated information in the face of known, setting-wide changes does in fact mean that we don't have current information.

That said...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  21:05:50  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get that completely.

Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2020 :  21:21:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

I get that completely.

Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter.



Fair enough.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  18:39:49  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

And this is why edition wars suck: "My version is the correct one!"

Not to mention a detractor that has a product that says something differently in their product...



Did I say anything disparaging about this product? It seems I said it was a great product, that it was well written, and that it had wonderful artwork. I stated that it does not include some information that came out post-Spellplague. However, that is a fact. That is not a disparagement.

I would also like to point out that someone who came out with a different product is a pretty good source of information, since it likely means that person researched Calimshan pretty extensively in developing his own product.

Finally, I would point out that the products are not competing. One is an adventure and the other is a campaign setting supplement. The two products could be used in conjunction with one another with some slight adjustments regarding post-Spellplague history.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 16 Sep 2020 18:40:58
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  18:49:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

EDIT: In fact you ignored what MT said in his earlier post before yours:

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 16 Sep 2020 19:02:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  19:06:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow


I would also like to point out that someone who came out with a different product is a pretty good source of information, since it likely means that person researched Calimshan pretty extensively in developing his own product.



I would contest this one. The DM's Guild is pretty much wide-open, for content. So long as it's got sufficient rules and avoids certain things that are explicitly verboten, anyone could put just about anything on the DM's Guild. There are no requirements for scholarship, adherence to canon, or even basic grammar. I've bought at least one truly crappy product from the Guild, and several others that were quite underwhelming.

You could assume someone did the appropriate research -- but it is not guaranteed.

And as the recent Darkhold book proved, even if they do their research, it doesn't mean they won't casually ignore published canon for the sake of an entirely unnecessary retcon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  19:52:06  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, you know what guys? I made a comment letting the OP know my thoughts on the supplement. I was very glowing in my review and objective in my opinion. I did not expect to get insulted and harassed for voicing said opinion. Nobody else in this thread is getting slapped for saying what they thought of the product. I don't know why you think it's okay to do it to me.

As for my product, it was just as much a labor of love as this author's product. I made my own maps, created my own monsters, created reasons for the characters to be there, incorporated longstanding NPCs, and created a storyline that fits in with the canon of the region. I don't know why you feel it's okay to insult my writing and my research without even reading what I've written, but feel it necessary to defend this author's material without reading what he's written.

If you want to smack people around for what they've written, buy their products and read them. Otherwise, shut up. Good day.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 16 Sep 2020 19:54:23
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  19:59:29  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

EDIT: In fact you ignored what MT said in his earlier post before yours:

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."



I didn't ignore it. I didn't see it. And frankly, your little snide comment about naysaying another person's product is far more snarky and insulting than my comment saying that the person did not look at any material that was post-Spellplague when creating his product. So don't try to tell me what is proper etiquette and protocol. You look like a hypocrite.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 16 Sep 2020 20:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:07:23  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

EDIT: In fact you ignored what MT said in his earlier post before yours:

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."



I didn't ignore it. I didn't see it. And frankly, your little snide comment about naysaying another person's product is far more snarky and insulting than my comment saying that the person did not look at any material that was post-Spellplague when creating his product. So don't try to tell me what is proper etiquette and protocol. You look like a hypocrite.



Snide? Snarky? Insulting?

I said:

"Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank."

Didn't I say that what you said had good intentions?

I guess I wasn't straightforward enough...

What you didn't see in my writing is that I actually did to you exactly what you did to the creator of this product: I praised you while at the same time being backhanded in my compliment by then criticizing you.

It didn't feel good did it?

That was sarcasm.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

33 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:11:00  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank.

EDIT: In fact you ignored what MT said in his earlier post before yours:

"There were some challenges in the history trying to account for everything that happened in 4e and then having it all kinda "reset" for 5e, but feedback suggests I was able to smooth that all together."



I didn't ignore it. I didn't see it. And frankly, your little snide comment about naysaying another person's product is far more snarky and insulting than my comment saying that the person did not look at any material that was post-Spellplague when creating his product. So don't try to tell me what is proper etiquette and protocol. You look like a hypocrite.



Snide? Snarky? Insulting?

I said:

"Your intentions, while I am sure you think were good, were rather backhanded. Your intended praise for the product actually devalues it completely by flat out saying it isn't a current product...which is to say it isn't for 5th Edition Forgotten Realms.

I'm sure you aren't a bad person...but your delivery is rather withering to be frank."

Didn't I say that what you said had good intentions?

I guess I wasn't straightforward enough...

What you didn't see in my writing is that I actually did to you exactly what you did to the creator of this product: I praised you while at the same time being backhanded in my compliment by then criticizing you.

It didn't feel good did it?

That was sarcasm.



Don't play coy. Your comment was, "Others naysaying a product when their own product says something different is another matter." That is insulting and demeaning.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:24:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't play coy.

Your continued inability to discern the fact that your personal view on the product in re. the bias you carried into that review (in favor of your own product) shows me that it was you that didn't read the product you were reviewing well enough to see that the creator did in fact consider the 4e timeline.

You may think your review was glowing, but my opinion is that your bias toward your own product led you to disqualify this product (which I have read) as not being a 5e product. It certainly is.

Additionally, telling people to "shut up" is childlike and completely erodes any credibility you have.

EDIT: at least you changed the word "idiot" to "hypocrite" to smooth your image. Didn't work.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 16 Sep 2020 20:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:43:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

Okay, you know what guys? I made a comment letting the OP know my thoughts on the supplement. I was very glowing in my review and objective in my opinion. I did not expect to get insulted and harassed for voicing said opinion. Nobody else in this thread is getting slapped for saying what they thought of the product. I don't know why you think it's okay to do it to me.

As for my product, it was just as much a labor of love as this author's product. I made my own maps, created my own monsters, created reasons for the characters to be there, incorporated longstanding NPCs, and created a storyline that fits in with the canon of the region. I don't know why you feel it's okay to insult my writing and my research without even reading what I've written, but feel it necessary to defend this author's material without reading what he's written.

If you want to smack people around for what they've written, buy their products and read them. Otherwise, shut up. Good day.



I've not seen anyone attack your product; I've not even seen a title to know what your product is.

All I've said is that we do not have current information on the area and that having something on the DM's Guild is not proof it was researched.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Sep 2020 20:44:15
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3986 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  20:51:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DoveArrow created:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23678

Looks promising, I just haven't read it yet.

Apparently he feels we have attacked his product...but nobody has.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
33879 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  22:10:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

DoveArrow created:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23678

Looks promising, I just haven't read it yet.

Apparently he feels we have attacked his product...but nobody has.



Ah. I know I eyeballed that one, but I've been a little too free with money, of late, so I've not yet purchased it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000