Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Tomb of Annihilation is a Tomb for 9 lost Gods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  14:28:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
One is called Moa and is liked to snakes or Coutls, LG, and another Wongo linked to monkeys and is CE.

Mod edit: Corrected typo in Subject, so this discussion could be more readily found on a search.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jul 2017 13:47:15

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  15:24:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please tell me you are making this up

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  16:05:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know the source for this, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  18:48:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was from the D&D panel at origins, read about it on Enworld Forums. I'll see if I can find it.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?558233-UPDATED-What-s-Next-For-D-amp-D-Live-From-Origins-Tomb-of-Annihilation
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  19:08:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"The Tomb of Annihilation is a "god tomb" and its true name is The Tomb of Nine Gods. It's a multi-level dungeon featuring lots of traps and servants of Acererak. One room has corpses hanging by their feet over pools of blood. The Tomb is maintained by creatures, including masked Tomb Dwarves.

There's a player handout for a puzzle

There is a grid of nine animals that correspond to the Nine Gods and the nine alignments. Top row, left to right: Snake (or Coatl), Froghemoth, Displacer Beast. Middle row, left to right: Rabbit, Flail Snail, and thing that looked like a plant/tiger. Bottom row, left to right: Stork, ?????, and Monkey. The snake represents Lawful Good and the God Moa. The monkey represents Chaotic Evil and the god Wongo.

More images of locations: the aarakocra establishment Kir Sabal (sp?). The floating earth mote the Heart of Ubtao. Jakaka (?) Anchorage, a pirate hideout. Nangalore, a palace where a medusa lives. Wyrmheart Mine."
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  19:10:52  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect the "plant tiger" thing is actually a Kamadan, a large Leopard like creature with 3 snakes coming from each shoulder.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  19:11:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Please tell me you are making this up

Nope, I'm not making it up. I'm curious who these Gods are.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  19:21:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, they're including Dragonbait and Artus Cimber. Now I'm curious how they'll be implemented, and I'm excitied to see if other characters of old will be reappearing in future modules.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  21:21:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I lack the words. Wongo the monkey god

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  21:37:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't care about what they come up with anymore, or their plot devices. I've stopped caring about that part of the Realms, I'm just like "whatever" if it's something quite random like this, and I'm fine with it if it helps returning the Realms as close as possible to their previous state. I'm enjoying their use of old characters and the return of names like Khelben and Halaster, because new people will get to know them, and they will live on rather than collect dust in the past. I hope that more and more of what makes the Realms so varied and alive will start making not just a comeback (because it already was all restored), but an actual comeback under the spotlight.

As for the rest, the metaplot of the Realms is just cheap now, I only see it as a tool to restore what was lost. I will keep watching what they do for the reason that I mentioned above

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 18 Jun 2017 21:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2017 :  23:25:27  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd personally would work more on the name, if it's meant to be africanish, maybe mw'ongo? (the ' as an click consonant).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  04:39:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Nanny Pu'pu is a Chultan witch who worships dark powers. The name was a placeholder at first, but they kept it because players 13 and under loved it.

Just... No.

Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  05:06:50  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, beast cult gods just like in the original Down-to-Earth Divinity, rather than consolidated in as aspects of name-brand gods.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  07:10:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many cool lore-deep options they could have had. Why not use the Bara?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  08:23:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its because they dont actually like the realms and instead want to play in greyhawk

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  12:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So many cool lore-deep options they could have had. Why not use the Bara?

-- George Krashos

They mentioned the Bara in the D&D podcast during a recent "Lore you should know" segment. Perhaps they'll tie them in, but leave them as a resource the players can tap into if they play their cards right?

I'm excited about the map mentioned. The character names I'm less than enthused about.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 19 Jun 2017 12:56:14
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2017 :  14:24:22  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My decision to return to 1356 DR is sounding better and better to me.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  09:20:17  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pu'pu? Like in the pu pu platter? the chinese dish? [O.o]

I doubt there's much depth behind these "African" names, but the problem is, if you mimic African names, you might say something. Especially since Bantu languages usually got noun groups where you have 10-20 noun classes which starts with letters as m (mw), w, m, mi, ji, ma, ki, wi, etc. wongo might be plural of mongo (no meaning), or corrupt version of mungu (god, now usually the Christian one), etc. If you alter the first letter, you end up with a different noun group, and possibly either an error, or say something different.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  10:11:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Starshade

Pu'pu? Like in the pu pu platter? the chinese dish? [O.o]

One can only hope that's what they had in mind... But in the US, "poo poo" is a very juvenile way to refer to either having a bowel movement or the results of one. It's the type of thing a small child might say. Alternatives are "poo" and "poop."

With them saying it was popular among those younger than 13, and knowing it was likely Americans they were testing with, I fear the scatological reference was the more likely intent.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  12:19:04  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They should've just consulted with James Lowder.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  12:36:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

That would have shown a respect for prior lore that has been sadly lacking for a while, with WotC.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  12:43:08  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's part of the problem. They did.

Link
Edit: part of the problem meaning they consulted and possibly ignored him.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 20 Jun 2017 12:44:00
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  13:11:57  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

Link

What makes you think they ignored him when he said they consulted him and they were respectful of the source material?

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

quote:

quote:

Link

What makes you think they ignored him when he said they consulted him and they were respectful of the source material?

Several people here who possibly know better than I think that the problems in the names and such would not be there if Mr. Lowder had been consulted.
My first instinct is to say a novel with talking Wombats isn't a far cry from the names that have been looked down on, but I could be wrong?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  13:18:37  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the funniest scroll I've read in a long time. By funny, I mean it in a way that it's so tragic the first thing you do is laugh. When naming things becomes difficult to the point you have to start using names like Pupu, how can anyone take WotC seriously? Perhaps it's phonetic? Pah-pah, as in New Guinea?

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  15:03:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Link

That should have come up in my Facebook feed. Odd that it did not.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  15:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Link

That should have come up in my Facebook feed. Odd that it did not.

Facebook is horrible about showing you what you want to see, in my experience. I've missed long distance friend's engagement announcements, book release announcements that I'm keenly interested in, etc.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  17:55:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is the Dungeon of Annihilation located?
I've been expecting them to stick the Acererak material down around Chult.

quote:

They should have consulted ANYONE who knows the lore... including most of the 'fans' on this site.

MORE 'gods'? REALLY?
I hope this is more of the 'this will fit anywhere' type of thinking, and they'll at least try to make some of this work with past lore (like saying 'Wongo has many names, and is known as..." blah blah blah - that sort of thing).

Personally, I would have went with 'Great Googamooga' for one of my africanesque deities (I've used him - its an expression that came out of Brooklyn NY, so I'm sure no-one else here is familiar with it, but I grew up with it).

'Nanny Pu Pu'
So they are listening to twelve year olds for design advice? Figures...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jun 2017 17:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  18:18:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less is more, more is less. Maybe WotC is Bi-Polar, and is going through a manic phase, only to be followed be a tear everything apart phase...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  19:10:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Less is more, more is less. Maybe WotC is Bi-Polar, and is going through a manic phase, only to be followed be a tear everything apart phase...

Followed by a tear everything apart phase again, again, again, again.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  19:37:51  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric has warned all who would listen, that the Realms would be begging for his return from his 1000 year imprisonment!

Free Cyric! Destroy all gods!

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000